Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Minidust posted:

I've been wondering the same thing actually. Speaking of FF III/6, are there any emulation issues with the VC version? I remember the PS1 version didn't get the music right. If the music sounds the way it's supposed to on VC I'll be very happy.

But oh man, a little grinding in the bedroom with this one would be perfect. Hopefully Square at least gives an indication as to whether they'll be supporting this thing or not. I really wanna throw this one between the Gamepad and TV.

The version on Virtual Console is the 1.1 version, so it's not the PS1 version. It's as well emulated as any SNES game from what I've heard. Final Fantasy boards don't seem to be complaining on the emulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Anybody else feel that the gamepad would lend itself well to RTS type games? Unit commands, strategic movements, etc.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

SyHopeful posted:

Anybody else feel that the gamepad would lend itself well to RTS type games? Unit commands, strategic movements, etc.

Yes and No, while it can work, the most ideal setting is probably a mouse. Console SRPGs like Disgaea seemed to have also gotten along fine just using the analog sticks. I really don't see the need for the second screen when playing something like Disgaea or Phantom brave when it's worked perfectly for four installments with just one. However there's really not a whole lot of Stratagy games on Consoles to begin with, it's really far more of a PC genre.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SyHopeful posted:

There are a ton of things that the gamepad is suited to, but the same was said of the Wiimote/Nunchuk and they didn't really amount to much.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Real time strategy game Romance of the Three Kingdoms 12 is on Wii U in Japan, anyone know how it turned out?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

WendigoJohnson posted:

Yes and No, while it can work, the most ideal setting is probably a mouse. Console SRPGs like Disgaea seemed to have also gotten along fine just using the analog sticks. I really don't see the need for the second screen when playing something like Disgaea or Phantom brave when it's worked perfectly for four installments with just one. However there's really not a whole lot of Stratagy games on Consoles to begin with, it's really far more of a PC genre.

The same could be said for FPS, but look at their console popularity. I agree that WASD+mouse is the preferred method for RTS/FPS games, but it's not impossible to make work on a console: Halo Wars did a drat decent job, for example (IMHO anyway).

Certainly there isn't a NEED for a second screen, but I'm looking at it less from that perspective and more of a "what potentials does a second screen with touch functionality offer?" How about expanded minimap functionality? How about a mix of RTS/FPS elements in a multiplayer game, with the player holding the gamepad being the "general", in charge of strategic decisions and resource management while other players on standard controllers experience a Battlefield-like experience?

Just throwing some thoughts out there. As with the Wii, I'm excited by the potential the WiiU offers, I just want to see if any devs really run with it.

E:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There are a ton of things that the gamepad is suited to, but the same was said of the Wiimote/Nunchuk and they didn't really amount to much.

I completely understand your point (devs not being very creative with the Wiimote, etc) but I don't think it's a very apples to apples comparison.

SyHopeful fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 27, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

SyHopeful posted:

The same could be said for FPS, but look at their console popularity. I agree that WASD+mouse is the preferred method for RTS/FPS games, but it's not impossible to make work on a console: Halo Wars did a drat decent job, for example (IMHO anyway).

Certainly there isn't a NEED for a second screen, but I'm looking at it less from that perspective and more of a "what potentials does a second screen with touch functionality offer?" How about expanded minimap functionality? How about a mix of RTS/FPS elements in a multiplayer game, with the player holding the gamepad being the "general", in charge of strategic decisions and resource management while other players on standard controllers experience a Battlefield-like experience?

If you ever played stuff like Starcraft or C&C you need stuff to be on a single screen, especialy if you're playing against another person. You hit something like tab to switch between your units and it's worked well for decades. Looking away to another screen is a big pain in the rear end because of how fast paced the matches can get. It's like taking your eyes off the road.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

If you ever played stuff like Starcraft or C&C you need stuff to be on a single screen, especialy if you're playing against another person. You hit something like tab to switch between your units and it's worked well for decades. Looking away to another screen is a big pain in the rear end because of how fast paced the matches can get. It's like taking your eyes off the road.

Sweet Jesus man where is your imagination?! Yes, I've played shitloads of RTS, which is why I brought up the RTS aspect. Are you suggesting that you cannot envision any possible situation where the Gamepad might offer innovation in RTS games?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Innovation doesn't amount to much if the playerbase is completely resistant to any sort of change.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Innovation doesn't amount to much if the playerbase is completely resistant to any sort of change.

Yeah it mostly has to do with being efficent, if a button press is going to be the quickest means to an end then thats the way things will go. If you complicate things in a game that's supposed to last you over 100 hours, extra stuff to work around gets old.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Judging by the responses to my posts, sounds valid.

E:

WendigoJohnson posted:

Yeah it mostly has to do with being efficent, if a button press is going to be the quickest means to an end then thats the way things will go. If you complicate things in a game that's supposed to last you over 100 hours, extra stuff to work around gets old.

Dude I agree with you about efficiency and about WASD+mouse and about the need to be looking at one screen for the average RTS.

Meet me halfway and come along to the land of make-believe for a few minutes. Do you really not envision any kind of potential for innovation?

SyHopeful fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 27, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

WendigoJohnson posted:

If you ever played stuff like Starcraft or C&C you need stuff to be on a single screen

Yes well they weren't designed to be on multiple screens.

How about, instead, we design an RTS needing more then one screen before we deside the genre can never work with it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Dr Pepper posted:

How about, instead, we design an RTS needing more then one screen before we deside the genre can never work with it.

If they're going to do that they might as well go full hog and offer something like the Steel battalion controller(but for an SRPG). That way you can full immerse yourself in everything and micromanage to your hearts content.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

If they're going to do that they might as well go full hog and offer something like the Steel battalion controller(but for an SRPG). That way you can full immerse yourself in everything and micromanage to your hearts content.

Why? I have already suggested a concept that would take advantage of what is currently offered on the WiiU. Stop being obtuse.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

SyHopeful posted:

Why? I have already suggested a concept that would take advantage of what is currently offered on the WiiU. Stop being obtuse.

But the wii-u default tablet isn't a 1/1 screen size with whats there. That was an issue and a main complaint that came up with the Romance of the Three kingdoms game that was released. You need something more in scale with what people are allready using as their primary screen. Even doing sim games like Sim city would probably benefit more from a larger sit down arcade style controller than anything else. I mean hell look at the DS fire Emblem games the screen ratios for the bottom and top are nearly identicle which helps make things work.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 27, 2013

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

But the wii-u default tablet isn't a 1/1 screen size with whats there. That was an issue and a main complaint that came up with the Romance of the Three kingdoms game that was released. You need something more in scale with what people are allready using as their primary screen. Even doing sim games like Sim city would probably benefit more form a larger sit down arcade style controller than anything else.

What I'm getting from your posts is that the WiiU gamepad is a horrible mistake and not applicable to anything ever, which begs the question: why are you in this thread?

If I'm mischaracterizing your stance, then I'd really like to hear what innovative ways you think the gamepad can be/has been used.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

SyHopeful posted:

What I'm getting from your posts is that the WiiU gamepad is a horrible mistake and not applicable to anything ever, which begs the question: why are you in this thread?

If I'm mischaracterizing your stance, then I'd really like to hear what innovative ways you think the gamepad can be/has been used.

I just don't see the Gamepad as swiss army knife, it's ment to do some things but not others. It can do party games like Nintendoland fine, but stuff like Stratagy games and fighting games you need more specific controllers.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

WendigoJohnson posted:

Unit creation and tech tree on the gamepad screen, everything else on the TV. Treat it like you'd treat an RTS on the DS.

What's the consensus on the Wii U these days? Is there just not enough worthy titles out there to really warrant buying one yet?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

I just don't see the Gamepad as swiss army knife, it's ment to do some things but not others. It can do party games like Nintendoland fine, but stuff like Stratagy games and fighting games you need more specific controllers.

Did you even read my idea for using the gamepad in an RTS-like game? I'm genuinely trying to give weight to your perspective but it just seems that based on your opinion, i.e. the Gamepad, arguably the major selling point of the WiiU, is only good for light, shallow games, you don't have a very high opinion of the hardware or it's potential.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dr Pepper posted:

Yes well they weren't designed to be on multiple screens.

Supreme commander used a second monitor wonderfully, it had a battle overview and allowed you to instruct large scale commands. It was a decent RTS so others could easily followup.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

SyHopeful posted:

Did you even read my idea for using the gamepad in an RTS-like game? I'm genuinely trying to give weight to your perspective but it just seems that based on your opinion, i.e. the Gamepad, arguably the major selling point of the WiiU, is only good for light, shallow games, you don't have a very high opinion of the hardware or it's potential.

It's got nothing to do with not seeing the hardware potential it's just that there's really no need to reinvent the wheel in alot of cases. Alot of the new games coming out like the new Monolith RPG seems to be using the full resources of the system as far as using all assets related to ingame graphics and everything. Just like they did with Xenoblade(which was probably the best game on the entire system), however Xenoblade didn't even use the wii-mote features because there really was no need for them to be tacked on. I mean if you're building all genres around a hardware action feature you're going to wind up limiting the genres on the system itself. Hell most DS games didn't even use the second screen for anything major most of the time.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Unit creation and tech tree on the gamepad screen, everything else on the TV. Treat it like you'd treat an RTS on the DS.

What's the consensus on the Wii U these days? Is there just not enough worthy titles out there to really warrant buying one yet?

If you enjoy platformers or survival horror, I'd say NSMBU and ZombiU are worth the entry price as I've enjoyed them far too much. Plus the demo of Rayman Legends leaves me wanting much, much more so I'm eagerly looking forward to its release sometime soon.

Nintendoland is enjoyable, but I can't personally recommend buying it as a full price game.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Hopefully, one day in the future, there could be fighting games that are widely played on gamepads.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

socialsecurity posted:

Supreme commander used a second monitor wonderfully, it had a battle overview and allowed you to instruct large scale commands. It was a decent RTS so others could easily followup.

I did hear this, however wasn't it a side by side screen and not the same situation as the pad and the Television, no?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Just got a Wii U as a present, but NSMBU is coming later, so I need non-Nintendo Land stuff to play in the meantime. Looking at the eShop, Little Inferno is on sale for $9.99. Anyone have any thoughts?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

WendigoJohnson posted:

It's got nothing to do with not seeing the hardware potential it's just that there's really no need to reinvent the wheel in alot of cases. Alot of the new games coming out like the new Monolith RPG seems to be using the full resources of the system as far as using all assets related to ingame graphics and everything. Just like they did with Xenoblade(which was probably the best game on the entire system), however Xenoblade didn't even use the wii-mote features because there really was no need for them to be tacked on. I mean if you're building all genres around a hardware action feature you're going to wind up limiting the genres on the system itself. Hell most DS games didn't even use the second screen for anything major most of the time.

Just because you don't NEED it doesn't mean it's not worth trying out if you've got a good idea. You can make a good fun fighter with nothing but a d-pad and two buttons but that doesn't mean you don't want to try more buttons/things/poo poo. I think a turn based strategy or a SRPG would do really well on the pad.

JT Jag posted:

Nintendoland, NSMBU, ZombiU and Sonic Racing are all really good titles on the U with Rayman Legends coming out the end of February and Monster Hunter coming out in March. So yeah if you like really good platformers or an actually suspenseful survival horror game or a really solid racer it wouldn't hurt to pick it up. Otherwise no one would blame you for waiting.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 27, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I think the Wii U pad would be brilliant for a turn based RTS like Civilization. Just drag your finger to where you want the unit to go, hold onto a city to open up the city menu, all your civics and just right there for you at the tap of a finger, etc. That is something that needs to happen.

As for action RTS like Starcraft... eh. Any novice to serious player ends up incredibly anal like WendigoJohnson and refusing to work with anything that doesn't make you play faster. In other words, if you're not trying to think at blinding speeds it isn't worth it. Which is fine. You don't bring Starcraft. Like SyHopeful suggests, you'd have to create a different RTS experience that relies less on who plays the quickest but who plays the smartest.

In other words, I can't wait for an Advance Wars on the Wii U. Square Enix making a new Ogre Battle would be perfect as well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

WendigoJohnson posted:

Strategy games would be great for it honestly. Even something frantic like Starhawk would be great on it if you just had the map and trees on the pad. Let alone any turn based stuff where all the clutter and gridding could be on a map on the pad.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I think the Wii U pad would be brilliant for a turn based RTS like Civilization. Just drag your finger to where you want the unit to go, hold onto a city to open up the city menu, all your civics and just right there for you at the tap of a finger, etc. That is something that needs to happen.

As for action RTS like Starcraft... eh. Any novice to serious player ends up incredibly anal like WendigoJohnson and refusing to work with anything that doesn't make you play faster. In other words, if you're not trying to think at blinding speeds it isn't worth it. Which is fine. You don't bring Starcraft. Like SyHopeful suggests, you'd have to create a different RTS experience that relies less on who plays the quickest but who plays the smartest.

In other words, I can't wait for an Advance Wars on the Wii U. Square Enix making a new Ogre Battle would be perfect as well.

Hey I'm glad somebody agrees :) I agree that at first thought a turn-based strategy game would better lend itself to the Gamepad, but I don't think it takes much of a stretch to see some awesome multiplayer potential for RTS/FPS hybrids. Like in Battlefield 2, have the squad leader functions like airdropping supplies and jeeps and stuff be a full-time Gamepad based duty. I know I've never been the best at FPS games and found that support role to be far more enjoyable.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

SyHopeful posted:

Hey I'm glad somebody agrees :) I agree that at first thought a turn-based strategy game would better lend itself to the Gamepad, but I don't think it takes much of a stretch to see some awesome multiplayer potential for RTS/FPS hybrids. Like in Battlefield 2, have the squad leader functions like airdropping supplies and jeeps and stuff be a full-time Gamepad based duty. I know I've never been the best at FPS games and found that support role to be far more enjoyable.

It'd be worth it to try different things out. That's where either a major company like Nintendo takes their "Wars" series and tries something innovative with it, where you don't have to worry about it THQing your company. Or, a smaller dev makes an eShop game with a low overhead and tries something unique.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SyHopeful posted:

How about a mix of RTS/FPS elements in a multiplayer game, with the player holding the gamepad being the "general", in charge of strategic decisions and resource management while other players on standard controllers experience a Battlefield-like experience?
I thought about something similar a few months ago too, particularly for Battalion Wars. I think it'd be pretty fun (or frustrating as hell depending on your friends), although I'd be concerned about single player experience.

efb I see someone else remembered the Wars series :hfive:

Commissar Ken posted:

You can make a good fun fighter with nothing but a d-pad and two buttons but that doesn't mean you don't want to try more buttons/things/poo poo.
Who needs a dpad? :colbert:

japtor fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 27, 2013

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Zeeman posted:

Just got a Wii U as a present, but NSMBU is coming later, so I need non-Nintendo Land stuff to play in the meantime. Looking at the eShop, Little Inferno is on sale for $9.99. Anyone have any thoughts?

It's weird and quirky and more of an "experience" than a game, but I thought it was worth my non-discounted $15.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Zeeman posted:

Dunno about Little Inferno, but be sure to grab Balloon Fight for the 30 cents deal being run.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
If you don't mind the art style, Mighty Switch Force is something on the more challenging side.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

It's weird and quirky and more of an "experience" than a game, but I thought it was worth my non-discounted $15.

Thanks, I may end up grabbing it then. Although my time seems to be taken up by playing the Rayman demo right now (Castle Rock is brilliant, I seriously can't wait for this game to come out)

Otherwise, I already grabbed Balloon Fight, and I already own MSF on 3DS.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Zeeman posted:

Thanks, I may end up grabbing it then. Although my time seems to be taken up by playing the Rayman demo right now (Castle Rock is brilliant, I seriously can't wait for this game to come out)

Otherwise, I already grabbed Balloon Fight, and I already own MSF on 3DS.

The Wii U version of Mighty Switch Force has a whole second set of levels akin to the second set of worlds in SM3DL. They're much more challenging than the original levels.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Just noticed that Capcom is offering a black Classic Controller Pro as a pre-order bonus for Monster Hunter 3U, in case anyone cares:

http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcomus/en_US/pd/ThemeID.1944700/productID.256030000

deadwing posted:

The Wii U version of Mighty Switch Force has a whole second set of levels akin to the second set of worlds in SM3DL. They're much more challenging than the original levels.

I don't think it's worth spending an additional $10 just to play the new levels unless you really, really loved the original.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

japtor posted:

Re: Smash Bros, just saw this:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/25/super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-to-be-showcased-at-e3/

So I'd guess there'll probably be a trailer like the previous E3 SSB ones.

Here's to hoping it's a demo on both platforms. He wants to release something better than "visuals" so I don't know what else it would be, a trailer would fall under that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Just noticed that Capcom is offering a black Classic Controller Pro as a pre-order bonus for Monster Hunter 3U, in case anyone cares:

http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcomus/en_US/pd/ThemeID.1944700/productID.256030000

So just to double check, this controller will actually work with Wii games right? I've been meaning to play Xenoblade but I didn't want to until I got a controller that'd work for it on Wii U.

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

Policenaut posted:

So just to double check, this controller will actually work with Wii games right? I've been meaning to play Xenoblade but I didn't want to until I got a controller that'd work for it on Wii U.

No they don't work in Wii mode at all.

(oh right classic controller pro never mind then)

Snowcow fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Policenaut posted:

That's the Wii Classic Controller Pro they're giving away, not the Wii U Pro Controller. So it would work with Wii games, yes. The Wii U Pro Controller, which is the thing you'd think would be bundled with it but isn't, won't work with Xenoblade because it's for the Wii U.

Also playing Xenoblade with the remote and nunchuck works perfectly fine. I didn't even know you could use the classic controller 'til halfway through the game and after a while of trying it I switched back to remote + nunchuck.

• Locked thread