Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

der juicen posted:

Jesus. That man looked like he had drank from the fountain of youth.

I remember thinking he was way too young to be in charge of SG1. :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes but it will be a reboot or using the props from the movie. I mean the show that started with SG1 and went to Universe is dead.

I don't think it'd be such an issue for Stargate as Trek - sure, we'll never see Atlantis or Destiny* again, but all they really need to make an SG-1 follow up is some military gear, a new Gate room, and some cheap actors in a forest somewhere.

It'd be quite easy to just say they'd unlocked a new galaxy's gate network and go from there while occasionally referencing old stuff.

*aside from the bits David Hewlitt actually saved, not sure how much that was.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
What about a, y'know, gate? Or is that sitting on ice somewhere?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

SpookyLizard posted:

What about a, y'know, gate? Or is that sitting on ice somewhere?

They sold one of them, I don't know if it was the hero model that actually turned or the one for establishing shots though.

It was 20' tall though and they were trying to find a fan that could give it a good home.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Also, is that SGC set used for a bunch of movies or something? Because either they did a great job of making the one used in SG1 look just like the one in the movie, or they used the exact same set.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The stargate prop itself is the only thing which was used in the movie and show, afaik. The sets are all different.

If MGM want to start up the franchise again then sets are pretty inconsequential. IIRC the Universe sets cost around $2million, which wasn't a huge portion of the total budget of a 40 episode show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As pointed out before, Ben was 40 when Farscape ended. That was TEN YEARS AGO. (PKW was later). Let's all let that sink in for a minute.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
IIRC they only thing hat was reused really was the gate, which was left out in the elements for a while. They ended up having to restore it and I believe they fixed/replaced the internals because the gate behaves differently between the movie and SG-1.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

As pointed out before, Ben was 40 when Farscape ended. That was TEN YEARS AGO. (PKW was later). Let's all let that sink in for a minute.

He must bathe in stems cells or something because drat.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

SpookyLizard posted:

IIRC they only thing hat was reused really was the gate, which was left out in the elements for a while. They ended up having to restore it and I believe they fixed/replaced the internals because the gate behaves differently between the movie and SG-1.

IIRC there were two gates that were used for the show. The hero gate that could spin and all that and never left the SGC set, this one was custom built for the series. Then they had a much simpler gate that they used for going out on locations that would stand in for P3X-Who gives a crap, this one was recycled from the original movie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

For comparison, Claudia only just turned 40 last autumn.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

After many months I've finally finished watching SG-1 and Atlantis all the way through. Fantastic stuff. I never saw any of Universe when it aired although I've read a good bit about how uneven it is through this thread. Now halfway through with the first season.

I remember reading all these awful comments about the communication stones and kept thinking to myself, "How bad could they actually be?" Then I got to the episode "Earth." :wtc:

I can't be the only one disturbed by how willing these people's significant others are with having sexy times with strangers' bodies. I really like Colonel Young's character except for the whole "How dare you speak to my wife after I used your body to have sex with her!" flip-out. Then using other people's bodies to get in fights...

The concept of the series is amazing, but dear god, this whole communication stone thing is worse than I ever imagined! There's plenty of drama on a spaceship stuck on autopilot with dwindling resources. All this Earth drama seems completely unnecessary at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

For comparison, Claudia only just turned 40 last autumn.

Well she's a goddess so age is meaningless.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

bobkatt013 posted:

Next you will tell me that crackers do not matter.

Yessssssss

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Doggles posted:

After many months I've finally finished watching SG-1 and Atlantis all the way through. Fantastic stuff. I never saw any of Universe when it aired although I've read a good bit about how uneven it is through this thread. Now halfway through with the first season.

I remember reading all these awful comments about the communication stones and kept thinking to myself, "How bad could they actually be?" Then I got to the episode "Earth." :wtc:

I can't be the only one disturbed by how willing these people's significant others are with having sexy times with strangers' bodies. I really like Colonel Young's character except for the whole "How dare you speak to my wife after I used your body to have sex with her!" flip-out. Then using other people's bodies to get in fights...

The concept of the series is amazing, but dear god, this whole communication stone thing is worse than I ever imagined! There's plenty of drama on a spaceship stuck on autopilot with dwindling resources. All this Earth drama seems completely unnecessary at this point.

That's one of the many things that they learned from and got better about, when they made it so that the stones could be used by enemies to track Destiny, so they couldn't use them much.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

That's one of the many things that they learned from and got better about, when they made it so that the stones could be used by enemies to track Destiny, so they couldn't use them much.

Exactly. Watched episode 11 where they encounter an alien space ship and that was a wonderful use of the stones.

Using the stones for short range communication in unfamiliar terrain or hostile territory? Great usage. Using the stones to go to a club and get drunk in someone else's body? Disturbing.

Now if this were a comedy, I can see huge potential in the stones.
:confused: "Why did I wake up in the hospital?"
:j: "Eli ate a whole bowl of peanuts with your body."
:confused: "But I'm allergic to peanuts!"
:j: "Indeed."

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
So after binging through the good Star Trek series and BSG, then getting burnt out on the general awfulness of Voyager, I decided to give the other big "Star" franchise a try. My first impression of the SG-1 pilot: "Did this show have the same casting director as The X Files?"

eta: There's sure an awful lot of chauvinism towards Carter for a show produced and set in the '90s. :cripes:

Duncan Doenitz fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 28, 2013

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

We share the same cast and crew here in Vancouver. If only our Premier would stop trying to kill our film industry.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

llama_arse posted:

So after binging through the good Star Trek series and BSG, then getting burnt out on the general awfulness of Voyager, I decided to give the other big "Star" franchise a try. My first impression of the SG-1 pilot: "Did this show have the same casting director as The X Files?"

eta: There's sure an awful lot of chauvinism towards Carter for a show produced and set in the '90s. :cripes:

Grin and bear it for the first few eps. Amanda Tapping called them on it and the "reproductive organs" line becomes a minor running gag to make fun of how bad they were early on.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Got to Prometheus Unbound on my rewatch, god drat I can't believe how much I missed Claudia Black.
Her and Michael Shanks were such a fun pair to watch. :allears:

Aaaaaaaand now I'm getting an urge to rewatch Farscape too.
I wish she did more stuff, she's criminally underused.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Doggles posted:

Exactly. Watched episode 11 where they encounter an alien space ship and that was a wonderful use of the stones.

Using the stones for short range communication in unfamiliar terrain or hostile territory? Great usage. Using the stones to go to a club and get drunk in someone else's body? Disturbing.

Now if this were a comedy, I can see huge potential in the stones.
:confused: "Why did I wake up in the hospital?"
:j: "Eli ate a whole bowl of peanuts with your body."
:confused: "But I'm allergic to peanuts!"
:j: "Indeed."

Didn't they sort of do this with McKay and his fear of citrus fruit?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

llama_arse posted:

Wait until you get to the Mongol episode. It was written by the same person who did Code of Honor!

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Didn't they sort of do this with McKay and his fear of citrus fruit?

Yes they did and it was during the SG1/Atlantis crossover.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I was actually referring to that episode in SG-U where characters from Atlantis show up. Specifically the bit where McKay starts freaking out a little bit because he thinks whoever he swapped bodies with was eating citrus fruit while in his body.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I was actually referring to that episode in SG-U where characters from Atlantis show up. Specifically the bit where McKay starts freaking out a little bit because he thinks whoever he swapped bodies with was eating citrus fruit while in his body.

Oh I thought you were talking about the park When Shepard reveals he always carries a lemon so he can scare McKay away

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

IRQ posted:

He must bathe in stems cells or something because drat.

This is all news to me. There was no possibility, in my mind, that Browder was now 50 and that he was 10 years older than Claudia Black during Farscape. Fuuuck. She started the show when she was 27?

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
After my SG-1 and Atlantis rewatch bingfest, I decided to give SGU another shot.

I have to say, the body swap sex scene was pretty awkward and cringe inducing... Are there anymore of those I should be aware of?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There are a lot more unethical body swapping behavior.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Uhh, well this is a thing I haven't seen posted yet:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/07/stargate-sg-1-unleashed-announced

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hahah, somehow I had missed a bunch of episode 1 of SGU when I started watching. I went back last night to rewatch and enjoy seeing the characters again now that I know the full story.

:stonk: Oh god its 3am and I'm up to episode four, what is going on here?

I drat near forgot to breathe.

What a cool space sci-fi show. I'll binge through it again some other time but it won't be hard to get sucked back in next time I watch.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tablets only?!
Son of a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch!

:tizzy:

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

ugh. Trailers which lack ingame footage don't fill me with confidence, especially as tablet games are quite limited to start with.

Although I am happy that MGM is granting use of the Stargate IP again, hopefully it is some sort of initial testing the waters for more tv show.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

twoot posted:

ugh. Trailers which lack ingame footage don't fill me with confidence, especially as tablet games are quite limited to start with.

Although I am happy that MGM is granting use of the Stargate IP again, hopefully it is some sort of initial testing the waters for more tv show.

A new TV show? Don't forget to breathe.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

A new TV show? Don't forget to breathe.

An SGU dvd-movie doesn't seem too outlandish.

They might be able to squeeze some more life out of SG1 before the actors need walking frames.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

twoot posted:

They might be able to squeeze some more life out of SG1 before the actors need walking frames.

kinda hard to do since they sold the gate off in pieces. also the sets have been sold off :( i know this because i bought some that crap.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

twoot posted:

It's over since Dr. Rush is doing Once Upon a Time and Ming Na is in the upcoming Avengers/SHIELD tv show.

Also if you watch Arrow then you'll see Ben Browder got really, really fat.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

If MGM wanted it to happen then setbuilding and actor availability are workable problems.

All I would hope is that SyFy are kept twenty million miles from any new production.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

It's over since Dr. Rush is doing Once Upon a Time and Ming Na is in the upcoming Avengers/SHIELD tv show.

Also if you watch Arrow then you'll see Ben Browder got really, really fat.

Ben is 50! Stop ragging on him! Maybe his gym membership lapsed!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

twoot posted:

It will be at least a decade before we see any kind of Stargate revival, if we ever see one.

Also the game will probably suck. It's tablet market shovelware; that's hardly testing the waters.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

IRQ posted:

It will be at least a decade before we see any kind of Stargate revival, if we ever see one.

Also the game will probably suck. It's tablet market shovelware; that's hardly testing the waters.

Hey guys, remember when there was that awesome PC game that was gonna be a FPS and was even teased in the episode where Teal'c was playing in the immersion chair?

Yeah, that went places too.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rhyno posted:

Ben is 50! Stop ragging on him! Maybe his gym membership lapsed!

He's 10 years older than Claudia Black :catstare: