Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Memento1979 posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium* > Punchsport Pagoda > WCW: They FedEx'd me a package with nothing in it

I prefer, WCW: Uh, we'll figure that out later...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Nash tells a story about his first match with Hogan. He started it off with a stiff headlock.

WCW: "Easy brother, we already got their loving money."

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

Rad R. posted:

Searching for this has lead me to a bunch of ancient Tripod pages, plus this match of Dale Torborg VS. The Maestro - this was completely blocked out of my memory.

http://www.wwe.com/videos/wcw-thunder-october-7-1999-dale-torborg-vs-the-maestro-25025478

Did WCW seriously do a rip-off of Abe "Knuckleball" Schwartz? I wouldn't even think twice about it, but it's the facepaint and the MVP on his shirt that cements that.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

A Dapper Man posted:

Did WCW seriously do a rip-off of Abe "Knuckleball" Schwartz? I wouldn't even think twice about it, but it's the facepaint and the MVP on his shirt that cements that.

I remember him being called MVP. Did WWE change this in post-production?

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 27, 2013

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

A Dapper Man posted:

I don't think it was really a ripoff. Torberg played The Kiss Demon in WCW but was also an actual baseball player (I don't know at what level). I guess when The Demon ran its course, they combined the face paint of The Demon with the baseballiness of baseball and just had him use his real name. I remember him using his real name, but I don't remember his crappy face paint.

^ MVP and Knuckleball were the same guy (Steve Lombardi/Brooklyn Brawler), but MVP only appeared a few times and then disappeared. Knuckleball showed up about a year later.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Did dirtsheets point out that Russo was an idiot before he arrived in WCW and promptly revealed it to the world?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Did dirtsheets point out that Russo was an idiot before he arrived in WCW and promptly revealed it to the world?

I remember people were excited for him since they believed that he could turn everything around. Then came his first month of shows.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Vic Venom was probably a pretty nice clue.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bobkatt013 posted:

I remember people were excited for him since they believed that he could turn everything around. Then came his first month of shows.

A lot of the WCW talent was simply happy to get some new voices in creative in hopes it would lead to new pushes. It didn't matter who it was.

At one point, people were pushing for Jimmy Hart to be head Booker.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DeathChicken posted:

Vic Venom was probably a pretty nice clue.

Yes but everyone was giving him credit for turning WWF around. People fell for it hook line and sinker.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Phenix Rising posted:

I don't think it was really a ripoff. Torberg played The Kiss Demon in WCW but was also an actual baseball player (I don't know at what level). I guess when The Demon ran its course, they combined the face paint of The Demon with the baseballiness of baseball and just had him use his real name. I remember him using his real name, but I don't remember his crappy face paint.

^ MVP and Knuckleball were the same guy (Steve Lombardi/Brooklyn Brawler), but MVP only appeared a few times and then disappeared. Knuckleball showed up about a year later.

Torberg was definitely "The MVP" at one point in WCW with that getup. Wikipedia says it was in 1998, but I always thought it was early 1999, with him turning int The Demon in summer 1999.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Torberg was definitely "The MVP" at one point in WCW with that getup. Wikipedia says it was in 1998, but I always thought it was early 1999, with him turning int The Demon in summer 1999.

He was also the WCW Pit Crew. Dale had a ton of bad gimmicks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

He was also the WCW Pit Crew. Dale had a ton of bad gimmicks.

All these bad gimmicks are reminding me of WCW Saturday Night in the later years. God that show had some ridiculous gimmicks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

All these bad gimmicks are reminding me of WCW Saturday Night in the later years. God that show had some ridiculous gimmicks.

I thought Roadblock had a lot of potential.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Phenix Rising posted:

I think Torborg was a college player with potential to be in the majors until an injury ended his career. After WCW folded he went back to baseball as a coach and has been a part of a couple of World Series winning teams. His dad is also a pretty famous player, manager, and broadcaster. They're actually kind of notable names for hardcore baseball fans.

So yeah, I don't think it makes sense to call that a ripoff. It was just some weird thing based on his past Demon gimmick and his real baseball connections.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Only thing I remember about Torborg is his HORRIBLE match with Kendall Windham on Nitro. I believe it ended after Torborg legit hosed his knee up.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

STAC Goat posted:

I think Torborg was a college player with potential to be in the majors until an injury ended his career. After WCW folded he went back to baseball as a coach and has been a part of a couple of World Series winning teams. His dad is also a pretty famous player, manager, and broadcaster. They're actually kind of notable names for hardcore baseball fans.
A

So yeah, I don't think it makes sense to call that a ripoff. It was just some weird thing based on his past Demon gimmick and his real baseball connections.

He had a couple of seasons in A ball for the Mets and that was it after college.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

An Actual Bear posted:

Only thing I remember about Torborg is his HORRIBLE match with Kendall Windham on Nitro. I believe it ended after Torborg legit hosed his knee up.
His match with Vampiro in a dark graveyard was worse, being lit only by a small torch held by the ref.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I read sites like Rajah back then, but he had a pretty good reputation on the sites that I checked out back then and I even remember a few articles forecasting doom for the WWF with their main creative force gone to the competition.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

They're definitely similar but I think there's plenty enough differences that they're not the same thing. The basics are the same but a lot of the edges and ends are clearly different so I imagine that's enough to make them different. It's probably not hard to imagine that they were coming up with the logo and saw the Superman thing and said "like that".

My guess is that it was designed by the same guy, otherwise it's a ripoff within Time Warner. And they're not bad logos IMO.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

New back issue from December 1995 is out and I loved this story -

Wrestling Observer posted:

The show opened with one of the weirdest interviews probably in wrestling history. Hulk Hogan, Sting and Savage came out. First Hogan dumped his black wrestling attire in a burning garbage can. He then went off on a tangent about "rag sheets" which is a term those in the business unfamiliar with how the real world operates refer to newsletters such as this (as if this newsletter should be put in a grouping with anything else). Hogan threw a tantrum about a report that said The Giant was going to win the Battle Royal (which couldn't have even come from here because the last thing we wrote on the subject was that Sting or Savage were the best bets to win) and how they were wrong, which pretty well tipped everyone off that the Giant wasn't going to win. He also said it was reported Savage wouldn't be in the show because of an arm injury (it had been known for weeks here that Savage was going to eschew surgery and work the Battle Royal). He then said that the Savage arm injury was a total swerve on everyone including the wrestlers in the dressing room and that Savage's arm was fine (Savage had legitimately torn his tricep and his left arm was barely half the size of the right). Even weirder was even if the injury wasn't real, the major storyline of the show is that Savage had an arm injury and the announcers never acknowledged Hogan's saying Savage's arm was fine. He then threw the "rag sheet" in the same burning garbage can saying "Observe this," and said that it was a dinosaur and that the internet is the real story. I suspect as his popularity and drawing power continues to drop he'll get even more bitter. Since it appeared to be directed at me, I took it as a tremendous compliment.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

loving glorious. I also appreciate the irony of Hogan calling ANYTHING ELSE ON EARTH a dinosaur.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

New back issue from December 1995 is out and I loved this story -

I read this this morning and it loving made my day.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wonder if, at least in retrospect, Hogan realizes that he basically legitimized Dave if anything. I'm sure to that point only subscribers and people in the business were aware of Dave. Not only that, Hogan exposed the business, and to top it off, I'll bet money Dave had already been on the internet for a while at that point.

If some mid-carder had tried to pull this stunt, he'd be blackballed.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I wonder if, at least in retrospect, Hogan realizes that he basically legitimized Dave if anything. I'm sure to that point only subscribers and people in the business were aware of Dave. Not only that, Hogan exposed the business, and to top it off, I'll bet money Dave had already been on the internet for a while at that point.

If some mid-carder had tried to pull this stunt, he'd be blackballed.

I am 99% sure Dave was not on the internet in 95. He has some luddite tendencies.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
The funniest thing about Hogan burning the Observer issue was the fire getting out of control and Sting helping to stop it throughout the segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1As4UVCkkKk

Sting's so nice. :allears:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Dave didn't really develop an online presence until Observer Live, which was 1999. Well, not Dave himself at least, most of the post-RSPW names like Mike Samuda and Al Isaacs were just calling Dave's hotline and regurgitating it.

eYada basically paid Dave and Bryan enough to do the hotline stuff for free and that's how the Observer online experience started. I don't even think Dave had e-mail until then, up until basically the merger he was using his father's Juno account.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 30, 2013

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Sting's statement that the end of the black wrestling garb for ol' Hulkster was permanent is kind of funny in retrospect.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

quote:

as if this newsletter should be put in a grouping with anything else
Dave is the best.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I will never not laugh at "THE INTERNET'S GOT THE SCOOPS!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

Dave didn't really develop an online presence until Observer Live, which was 1999. Well, not Dave himself at least, most of the post-RSPW names like Mike Samuda and Al Isaacs were just calling Dave's hotline and regurgitating it.

eYada basically paid Dave and Bryan enough to do the hotline stuff for free and that's how the Observer online experience started. I don't even think Dave had e-mail until then, up until basically the merger he was using his father's Juno account.

I believe eyada had to hook him up to the internet themselves.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
While we are talking about Dave being a luddite, does he still get faxes all the time?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

While we are talking about Dave being a luddite, does he still get faxes all the time?

From Japan at least, which prompted Bryan to go on a rant about his Japanese faxes a month or so ago. To be fair, I believe faxes are still commonplace over there.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

Not sure, but Bryan told a story about Dave printing out emails he receives and I just don't understand why.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Not only does Dave still have a fax but he also has an old-fashioned answering machine on his landline.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I thought this legitimized Dave in 1990:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxzAsNlyzS0

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

I thought this legitimized Dave in 1990:

Right year, wrong thing. Getting hired by Frank Deford as a featured writer in The National was what legitimized Dave outside of insider wrestling circles. The National was a spectacular failure as a business, but it pushed Dave as one of America's best sportswriters and the Observer as a publication on par with the top newspapers.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I will never not laugh at "THE INTERNET'S GOT THE SCOOPS!"

I still throw this around in casual conversation with a few friends. That part makes me lose it entirely.

I am honored to have been there in person for this.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

jeffersonlives posted:

it pushed Dave as one of America's best sportswriters

Well there's an embarrassing combination of words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I wonder if Meltzer was ever in the same room as Jay Mariotti and Mike Lupica. That would be a horrifying conversation to be subjected to.