Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!
Well yeah, I don't think anyone who envisions a Total War game in the 40k universe is picturing Dawn of War: Total War, but indeed Epic 40k: Total War. And yes, it would be unbelievable cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

gimpfarfar posted:

Well yeah, I don't think anyone who envisions a Total War game in the 40k universe is picturing Dawn of War: Total War, but indeed Epic 40k: Total War. And yes, it would be unbelievable cool.

I can't see how building a titan would not be both utterly ridiculous and utterly cool. I mean can you just imagine the coding that would go into making the thing move?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Getting my balls crushed by France in my current SS 6.4 game as the Danes, every victory of mine is hard fought and well earned :allears:

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

gimpfarfar posted:

So now that SEGA owns both Creative Assembly and THQ Canada/Relic Entertainment, does that mean we can begin to hope for a Warhammer 40k: Total War?
A man can dream!

Homeworld: Total War :colbert:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Weissritter posted:

TAIDANI!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't want any of those things (this comes up time and again, but FOTS is proof that the Total War formula stops being fun the more you add guns), but CA have lots of experience at getting huge numbers of soldiers on screen at the same time and Relic have lots of experience at fluid soldier movement within units.

I would very much hope that the opportunity is taken for teams from both studios to sit down with each other and talk shop.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Josef bugman posted:

I can't see how building a titan would not be both utterly ridiculous and utterly cool. I mean can you just imagine the coding that would go into making the thing move?

It'll be smashed in the first battle just like the only time you'd build a Ship Of The Line in ETW.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SeanBeansShako posted:

It'll be smashed in the first battle just like the only time you'd build a Ship Of The Line in ETW.

Even that would probably mean you'd won anyway, can you imagine the size of the explosion?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Even that would probably mean you'd won anyway, can you imagine the size of the explosion?

It'd be a draw as everyone on the battlefield would die horribly.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Rabhadh posted:

Getting my balls crushed by France in my current SS 6.4 game as the Danes, every victory of mine is hard fought and well earned :allears:

No kidding, I'm in a tough war against the Fatimids and Seljuks as the Crusader States just now. SS forges true armchair generals.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Alchenar posted:

FOTS is proof that the Total War formula stops being fun the more you add guns

Why do you say that? I thought the problem with FoTS was the artillery, not the infantry with guns. I am, however, completely terrible with melee troops, so it's more likely a user/preference error than FoTS.

In other news, how the hell do I use melee troops? I'm getting clobbered by the Ikko Ikki right now, playing as the Chosokabe. I'm often running 6-8 bow units in an army (a mix of ashigaru and samurai), supporting a pretty even mix of yari ashigaru and yari samurai, but this stack of four or five experience ikko ikki yari ashigaru is running in and being absolutely a huge pain. Even when I can hold the line for a while, my archers just don't seem to do that much damage and my men slowly break until they chain rout.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I think it is the lack of Artillery diversity that spoils FOTS. I've had much more fun and the AI is much more happier using the expanded guns from the Artillery expansion mod.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

Weissritter posted:

I keep wishing for a Homeworld reboot... One day!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Arcturas posted:

In other news, how the hell do I use melee troops? I'm getting clobbered by the Ikko Ikki right now, playing as the Chosokabe. I'm often running 6-8 bow units in an army (a mix of ashigaru and samurai), supporting a pretty even mix of yari ashigaru and yari samurai, but this stack of four or five experience ikko ikki yari ashigaru is running in and being absolutely a huge pain. Even when I can hold the line for a while, my archers just don't seem to do that much damage and my men slowly break until they chain rout.

Swords. Even Loanswords will beat out Yari Samurai if supported, and Katana Samurai will rip them a new one. Soften them up with bows and then slam them with a sword charge. Ikko Ashigaru have enough morale to go toe-to-toe with Yari Samurai but not Katana Samurai. Plus you can swing your Yari units out into the flanks for more carnage.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Arcturas posted:

I'm often running 6-8 bow units in an army (a mix of ashigaru and samurai), supporting a pretty even mix of yari ashigaru and yari samurai, but this stack of four or five experience ikko ikki yari ashigaru is running in and being absolutely a huge pain. Even when I can hold the line for a while, my archers just don't seem to do that much damage and my men slowly break until they chain rout.

In my experience, archers pretty much suck in general. All their abilities count for poo poo if you can get an expendable group of ashigaru or ligh cav to melee them for 1 second. I often just have one unit of archers to goad the AI or to use whistling arrows in a scrum but they simply aren't good enough to form your army around (in my opinion at least). As you said, they just don't inflict enough damage and are way too vulnerable.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alchenar posted:

I don't want any of those things (this comes up time and again, but FOTS is proof that the Total War formula stops being fun the more you add guns), but CA have lots of experience at getting huge numbers of soldiers on screen at the same time and Relic have lots of experience at fluid soldier movement within units.

I would very much hope that the opportunity is taken for teams from both studios to sit down with each other and talk shop.

I think if they upped the scale a little then a 40k Total War(hammer) might just work, and well at that. They'd probably need to tweak the AI so individual dudes within a unit can act a little more independently, but if that works you could use the Epic scale where every unit is like a company in size. Besides, due to some 40k-specific stuff the fights could end up being more mobile and even melee-centric than e.g. Napoleon.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Unzip and Attack posted:

In my experience, archers pretty much suck in general. All their abilities count for poo poo if you can get an expendable group of ashigaru or ligh cav to melee them for 1 second. I often just have one unit of archers to goad the AI or to use whistling arrows in a scrum but they simply aren't good enough to form your army around (in my opinion at least). As you said, they just don't inflict enough damage and are way too vulnerable.

Not at all, you just need to protect them. A unit of yari ashigaru on either side of the archers will halt 2 or 3 units of cavalry each (against the AI), and if you have a few archers they can do ridiculous damage. 1 unit of bow ashigaru won't do poo poo of course, but 5 or 6 bow samurai can kill off half their army before they even touch your melee line; keep in mind that no units have shields in this game. I go too extreme in this really; by the end of the game my armies are often entirely bow warrior monks. With the accuracy upgrades at the craftworks and encampment combined they'll see off literally anything the AI can throw at them before even getting touched. It's a little silly, really. No idea why you don't like them.

edit: jesus Alchenar and Arcturas why do you ever have to disagree with each other it confuses me every time.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 25, 2013

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Alchenar posted:

(this comes up time and again, but FOTS is proof that the Total War formula stops being fun the more you add guns)

Speak for yourself. I had plenty of fun marching my lines of little mans in to shoot their rifles at the other little mans and watching the glorious displays of firepower. Though I do think artillery could have used a bit of a tone-down.

It may be worth noting that personally speaking, I view the tactical battles in Total War as the visceral reward for my good planning and preparation on the strategic layer. It doesn't really matter THAT much to me if the tactical battles somehow require less thought or planning or whatnot with guns - the point, so far as I am concerned, is that I get to watch my hard-earned army wipe the floor with the enemy using an awesome display of numbers and technology. If I get the chance to employ a few clever battlefield tactics, all to the good, but it's enough that I get to see my strategic planning pay off in glorious victory.

(Edit: Alchenar and Arcturas are confusing. They even both have A-names!)

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I'm getting these weird graphical glitches in SH2:

They only occur in SH2, too, so hopefully it's not my GPU.

Just checked and I'm on Catalyst 12.something when there's 13.1 out. :aaa:
vvvvv

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 26, 2013

az
Dec 2, 2005

Probably driver fuckery.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
It's the Great Wall of Japan.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

We Hojo are MASTER BUILDERS.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Okay so I bought RotS as soon as it came out but have only just gotten around to playing it. Is it normal, for your "sister family" to declare war on you? I know it's meant to happen after Realm divide, but in this game (playing as one of the Fujiwaras) it happened on like turn ten. I think the reason may have been that I took two towns and boxed them in (even though we had military access). The diplomacy screen claimed that relations had collapsed due to "past grievances"; over the course of about three turns they cancelled the alliance, ended trade, and declared war.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Krazyface posted:

Okay so I bought RotS as soon as it came out but have only just gotten around to playing it. Is it normal, for your "sister family" to declare war on you? I know it's meant to happen after Realm divide, but in this game (playing as one of the Fujiwaras) it happened on like turn ten. I think the reason may have been that I took two towns and boxed them in (even though we had military access). The diplomacy screen claimed that relations had collapsed due to "past grievances"; over the course of about three turns they cancelled the alliance, ended trade, and declared war.

How would you feel about being boxed in? :colbert:

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Krazyface posted:

As I mentioned in my RotS LP, your sister clan uses the same AI as anything else and so has certain triggers for war. If you are the neighbour they hate the most and they feel they can take one of your territories, the AI will declare war (It's a little more complicated than this, but this is the general idea). If you have boxed them in, there is only one neighbour that they can compare their military to. Yours. This means that more likely than not, unless you maintain a large force in all your bordering provinces, they will declare war on you. If you want to avoid it, always leave them somewhere to go.

Tyack
Oct 9, 2012

shalcar posted:

As I mentioned in my RotS LP

DO you have a link to the LP? I would love to read it.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Tyack posted:

DO you have a link to the LP? I would love to read it.

You can find it here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501934

It's ongoing, but fairly close to finished. Hope you enjoy it!

Tyack
Oct 9, 2012

shalcar posted:

You can find it here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501934

It's ongoing, but fairly close to finished. Hope you enjoy it!
Thanks, I wanted to see what the units were like as I currently only own FOTS.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

No kidding, I'm in a tough war against the Fatimids and Seljuks as the Crusader States just now. SS forges true armchair generals.

Playing as Crusader States in Stainless Steel is just :black101: from Day One.

Surrounded by hostile faith and you own the holy city that they want back. The 'upside' is that your relationship with the Pope is so easily to build, what with the constant fighting against muslim armies and having your bishops converting populations.

It is kind of similiar to Crusader Kings 2 when they talk about the muslim clown car of pain, except here you get to fight the battles yourself in real time.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Now that I can run Shogun 2, I'm loving it. Any good mods? Mostly rebalance stuff, I guess - things like Stainless Steel (better tactics required to win battles) would be fine too!

Also, any idea regarding Rome 2's release date? Has it been announced or hinted at? :shobon:

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Azran posted:

Now that I can run Shogun 2, I'm loving it. Any good mods? Mostly rebalance stuff, I guess - things like Stainless Steel (better tactics required to win battles) would be fine too!

Also, any idea regarding Rome 2's release date? Has it been announced or hinted at? :shobon:

I haven't tried it myself but a lot of people recommend the radious mod. I have tried darth mod and I can recommend you not waste your time with it.

I've seen October 2013 thrown around but I don't think they've set any official release date for rome. Just sometime late this year.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I've tried the Radious mod for vanilla Shogun 2 and I think it's pretty bad. There's a bewildering array of extra units, but that isn't the big problem. No, the biggest problem is his balance changes. I can take the increased melee defense, but the massive increase to morale (yari ashigaru start with 10 morale) means every battle is a ridiculous slog, because samurai units will literally never rout until they get down to like 20 men.

The best one was The Rights of Man 3, but the creator of that mod appears to have abandoned it, and the patch with the Otomo DLC broke it.

EDIT: I've spoken too soon. Some enterprising fan from the twcenter forums has released a compatibility patch for the Otomo and Saints and Heroes DLC.

Double EDIT: The Otomo clan is still kinda buggy with this fix though. Apparently the Otomo are still coded as an unlocked minor clan.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 27, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Azran posted:

Some people swear by DarthMod but I think vanilla generally works fine. The problem with the big mods is that they all just express the modders particular ideas of "fun", balance and overall playability be damned.

There are lots of small mods on the TWC forums and you could mix and match radious' stuff. Personally I'm using his experience and diplomacy mini mods as well as the excellent (if somewhat spergy) realistic colors one.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Tarezax posted:

I've tried the Radious mod for vanilla Shogun 2 and I think it's pretty bad. There's a bewildering array of extra units, but that isn't the big problem. No, the biggest problem is his balance changes. I can take the increased melee defense, but the massive increase to morale (yari ashigaru start with 10 morale) means every battle is a ridiculous slog, because samurai units will literally never rout until they get down to like 20 men.

The best one was The Rights of Man 3, but the creator of that mod appears to have abandoned it, and the patch with the Otomo DLC broke it.

EDIT: I've spoken too soon. Some enterprising fan from the twcenter forums has released a compatibility patch for the Otomo and Saints and Heroes DLC.

Double EDIT: The Otomo clan is still kinda buggy with this fix though. Apparently the Otomo are still coded as an unlocked minor clan.

Oh, that explains my last battle then. :v:

What would be a good faction to begin with? Date? I'm making the jump from Medieval 2 to Shogun 2 - never played Empire or Napoleon.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Shimazu, just get those trade routes ASAP. Or Chokosabe.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Azran posted:

Oh, that explains my last battle then. :v:

What would be a good faction to begin with? Date? I'm making the jump from Medieval 2 to Shogun 2 - never played Empire or Napoleon.

Personally, I would stick with vanilla at the moment, it's pretty good and is fairly balanced. You can add the right mod to taste once you know what you do and don't like about the base game.

A good starting clan is the Chosokabe, as they have a easy to conquer and defend island, as well as superior farmland and archers, both of which are invaluable. I would avoid the Date, as the tyranny of distance can really mess them up. The Shimazu are another good pick, although trickier than the Chosokabe. The Hojo are also fairly easy, with their access to wealth and rapid expansion capability, although they have many fronts to defend.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
The graphics settings in Shogun 2 are dumb. Shadows are just squares until ultra unless you tack on soft shadows at high or ultra, trees disappear and pop in even on ultra (and it gets funnier on the campaign map), unit detail on high still has pop-in during prebattle cutscenes (especially the generic ones) and depth of field is hilarious unless it is off; I love it when it just focuses on nothing when your general is giving his speech. I turned off grass and shadows and a lot of stuff to low just because it's visual clutter.

Now I feel like one of those Quake 3 :spergin: that turn all the settings off so I can see clearly, which actually has been a problem until now for Shogun 2. Sort of. I should stop zooming in during battles, that would be a good start. Not sure if I'm looking forward to even turning on all the fancy visual poo poo when Rome 2 drops.

Mr.Sloth
May 20, 2007

Tarezax posted:

Just installed the Rights of Man mod and I have to say I like it alot. Battles don't end as quickly but you don't end up fighting to the last man like with radious mod. It also redoes some of the research and enables trade resources to be aquired through construction which is nice when everyone hates you and refuses to sell you their poo poo.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Sober posted:

The graphics settings in Shogun 2 are dumb. Shadows are just squares until ultra unless you tack on soft shadows at high or ultra, trees disappear and pop in even on ultra (and it gets funnier on the campaign map), unit detail on high still has pop-in during prebattle cutscenes (especially the generic ones) and depth of field is hilarious unless it is off; I love it when it just focuses on nothing when your general is giving his speech. I turned off grass and shadows and a lot of stuff to low just because it's visual clutter.

Now I feel like one of those Quake 3 :spergin: that turn all the settings off so I can see clearly, which actually has been a problem until now for Shogun 2. Sort of. I should stop zooming in during battles, that would be a good start. Not sure if I'm looking forward to even turning on all the fancy visual poo poo when Rome 2 drops.

Yeah, this is pretty much my only gripe. Also, fighting in forests ends up being a clusterfuck and I can't check who's where, even with the Highlight Everyone button. :v:

Should Samurai be the core of my force, or that's reserved for the Ashigaru? I've been using a Samurai core with some Ashigaru as cannon fodder. Good thing they removed the "Peasants" unit - I never saw the point in those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Weissritter posted:

Playing as Crusader States in Stainless Steel is just :black101: from Day One.

Surrounded by hostile faith and you own the holy city that they want back. The 'upside' is that your relationship with the Pope is so easily to build, what with the constant fighting against muslim armies and having your bishops converting populations.

It is kind of similiar to Crusader Kings 2 when they talk about the muslim clown car of pain, except here you get to fight the battles yourself in real time.

The best part about playing the Crusader States is watching stack after stack dash themselves against the rock that is Jerusalem. You'll inevitably get a jihad called on you in the first 20 turns, but since the computer can't siege worth a drat you can handily dispatch anything they send at you with minimal casualties (this is helped along by Jerusalem getting a few unique units that it can produce, along with the low-upkeep, high-value foot soldiers that the Templar/Hospitaller guilds can crank out). Unfortunately once the Mongols come around you're in deep poo poo, assuming you conquered eastward. They still use the same dumb siege tactics like every other faction, except they're coming at you with approximately nine million horse archers. Horse archers on their own are generally lovely against units on walls, but the sheer number they field means they'll decimate your army down before they even knock open the gates. I never figured out a way to beat them, since you sure as hell can't do it on the battlefield (or at least I couldn't). Someone earlier in the thread said that longbowmen and their planted stakes ability worked wonders, but I don't think the Crusader States ever get a unit that can put down stakes.