Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Speaking of hybrids, the Prius has a sort of thermos for its coolant. This way, it can keep a portion of coolant at a higher than ambient temperature for a surprising amount of time.

If this was put on ordinary cars, they would be able to warm up much faster on cold days, as long as the car was driven the day before. It would be beneficial for both comfort and emissions purposes. I know a lot of cars have electric heaters, but this seems like a more elegant solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Going from a diesel to a Prius for defogging and defrosting windows is like night and day. Keeping the defroster running after it's necessary dings gas milage slightly due to it needing to run the engine, but that's not the end of the world or anything.

After driving this car for close to a year if they can just cut the cost, I could see CVT hybrid transmissions replacing slushboxes anyhow. It's like apart from that and weight there's not that many disadvantages and due to the drivetrain being constantly engaged the mechanicals are closer to a fixed reduction gearset with a couple of constantly engaged PTOs than a normal transmission.

Maximum torque for the existing automotive transmissions is crap maybe but that hasn't really been anyone's priority so far. I've heard that they've gotten really nice results using them in garbage trucks if for nothing else other than the sheer number of brake pads they go through, so I presume it's possible.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
While we are talking about crazy things that haven't happened yet, I always wonder why they don't make a car with a small diesel engine, that runs all the time at peak efficiency, and charges a battery for an electric car. This is how trains work right? Is the technology just impossible to shrink down to the scale of a car?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Your ABS sensors can flake out now and cause just the opposite. People need to quite pretending they have direct control over their brakes anymore as it is, they haven't for about 10 years. Anytime we graft computer control over a manual system, the end result is always less reliable, more complex, and less functional than just actually controlling the thing directly with a computer.

The difference I see here is that if an ABS sensor flakes out, you still have the ability to brake hydraulically just like cars always did before ABS came about. Sure, your ABS is gone but if you have the know-how to threshold brake, you'll be okay. Sure, not many people know how to threshold brake any more, so I guess they'd be prone to lock the brakes much like if an electronically controlled wedge got stuck in full-brake mode, but I think the effect would be less catastrophic. Actually I don't even know what I'm trying to argue any more.

tijag posted:

While we are talking about crazy things that haven't happened yet, I always wonder why they don't make a car with a small diesel engine, that runs all the time at peak efficiency, and charges a battery for an electric car. This is how trains work right? Is the technology just impossible to shrink down to the scale of a car?

Diesel engines are heavy and expensive, batteries are heavy and expensive, and while it'd be a fantastic engineering spectacle, I just don't think the demand is there right now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Basically, power-to-weight of diesel engines experience massive efficiencies at huge displacement. Less so at small displacements. Plus, meeting emissions standards is an additional challenge. The turbine is a cooler idea to me. You can run it multifuel and everything!!!

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Basically, power-to-weight of diesel engines experience massive efficiencies at huge displacement. Less so at small displacements. Plus, meeting emissions standards is an additional challenge. The turbine is a cooler idea to me. You can run it multifuel and everything!!!

I wonder if the upcoming lighter, lower compression Mazda engines change that at all.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Laserface posted:

Electronically actuated valves, allowing for infinitely variable intake/exhaust timing.. Come on, its the future. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Fiat are already doing that, at least for intake valves: http://arstechnica.com/features/2012/10/more-bang-less-buck-how-car-engines-now-go-further-on-less/

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I saw three new corvettes driving on the beautiful bush highway slightly northeast of phoenix. I saw them once going one way, and then again when I was backtracking. I saw the red, blue, and black colors.

I must say, they looked pretty good in person. I do like the LED headlights.

My brother amazingly just found the exact same corvettes on flickr by search recent corvette photos from the past week.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yh8life/8401231984/
These are definitely the cars I saw, on or very nearby the same road.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

ethanol posted:

I saw three new corvettes driving on the beautiful bush highway slightly northeast of phoenix. I saw them once going one way, and then again when I was backtracking. I saw the red, blue, and black colors.

I must say, they looked pretty good in person. I do like the LED headlights.

My brother amazingly just found the exact same corvettes on flickr by search recent corvette photos from the past week.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yh8life/8401231984/
These are definitely the cars I saw, on or very nearby the same road.

Here's the Jalopnik link. I'm sorry, but they still look bad, even in the daylight.

It looks like they have 4 of those inlets horns for turbos in the back :(

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Thanks for the link. I can't say I would ever buy a corvette anyways but I much prefer the new look over the last 20 years of corvette designs. That's pretty crazy that so many people are spotting these unreleased cars, including myself. Is this some kind of marketing campaign now? I guess it's always a marketing campaign.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 24, 2013

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

ethanol posted:

Thanks for the link. I can't say I would ever buy a corvette anyways but I much prefer the new look over the last 20 years of corvette designs. That's pretty crazy that so many people are spotting these unreleased cars, including myself. Is this some kind of marketing campaign now? I guess it's always a marketing campaign.

Last minute testing before release, they just don't camo them now since the car has been unveiled.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Meanwhile, in go-really-fast news:

The Hennessey Venom GT just set the world record for 0-300 km/h acceleration and was verified by Guinness on a back to back run. Does it in just 13.6 seconds. Compare that to the Veyron which does 0-300 in a little over 18 seconds.

Youtube link to the run

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Devyl posted:

The Hennessey Venom GT just set the world record for 0-300 km/h acceleration and was verified by Guinness on a back to back run. Does it in just 13.6 seconds. Compare that to the Veyron which does 0-300 in a little over 18 seconds.

Youtube link to the run

Guinness should've stipulated a requirement that more than 5 units of the record-setting car have to exist.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Hello Spaceman posted:

Guinness should've stipulated a requirement that more than 5 units of the record-setting car have to exist.

They should also stipulate that you do it with an engine you own too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

KozmoNaut posted:

Speaking of hybrids, the Prius has a sort of thermos for its coolant. This way, it can keep a portion of coolant at a higher than ambient temperature for a surprising amount of time.

If this was put on ordinary cars, they would be able to warm up much faster on cold days, as long as the car was driven the day before. It would be beneficial for both comfort and emissions purposes. I know a lot of cars have electric heaters, but this seems like a more elegant solution.

Previous gem, yes. And I believe it was a salt solution with a heart exchanger to the coolant. Current gen has a heat exchanger in the exhaust. Again, no reason you couldn't get hold of one, graft it on to your exhaust & hook it up to your coolant cycle with a thermostat somewhere & get the same benefit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Devyl posted:

Here's the Jalopnik link. I'm sorry, but they still look bad, even in the daylight.

I like the warpaint around the tail lights. Reminds me very strongly of those HSV Commodores' front ends.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Midniter posted:

The difference I see here is that if an ABS sensor flakes out, you still have the ability to brake hydraulically just like cars always did before ABS came about.

That's not always true though.

Your ABS can flake out in a way that renders you completely and utterly unable to apply any brake pressure. When your ABS control unit takes over, it takes over and overrides your braking ability. That the very basis of ABS.

The abs system just has to decide that your brakes are locked up 100% and they will override your attempt to apply pressure. This was actually a very well known defect in the ABS system in early WRXs. Uneven terrain had the ability to confuse the abs system to the point where all braking pressure was completely gone.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

bull3964 posted:

That's not always true though.

Your ABS can flake out in a way that renders you completely and utterly unable to apply any brake pressure. When your ABS control unit takes over, it takes over and overrides your braking ability. That the very basis of ABS.

The abs system just has to decide that your brakes are locked up 100% and they will override your attempt to apply pressure. This was actually a very well known defect in the ABS system in early WRXs. Uneven terrain had the ability to confuse the abs system to the point where all braking pressure was completely gone.
Ice mode is evil and should be disabled whenever temperatures are clearly well above freezing. :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
He's not just talking about ice mode, he's also talking about the ABS system treating a wheel as being locked and cutting fluid flow to it - but the system "thinks" it's working properly, so it doesn't flag up any faults or bring the light on, you just find out when you hit the brake and one of your calipers doesn't respond. You both have reduced braking force and a strong pull to one side. It's very unsettling.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

InitialDave posted:

He's not just talking about ice mode, he's also talking about the ABS system treating a wheel as being locked and cutting fluid flow to it - but the system "thinks" it's working properly, so it doesn't flag up any faults or bring the light on, you just find out when you hit the brake and one of your calipers doesn't respond. You both have reduced braking force and a strong pull to one side. It's very unsettling.
Oh crap. :stonk: Why wouldn't the system turn the light on if it thought a wheel was locked? Or was that the fault? How do you even fix something like that?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

grover posted:

Oh crap. :stonk: Why wouldn't the system turn the light on if it thought a wheel was locked? Or was that the fault? How do you even fix something like that?
Because it's doing its job, cutting fluid to a locked wheel until it starts to rotate again - but if the "locked wheel" is due to a duff sensor, it'll never "start" to rotate. Some systems might have a logical check in them to say "Ok, seriously, there's no way a wheel can still be locked, something's up" and stop interfering - but it may not have, and if it does, it might not react fast enough, and it wouldn't help if the fault was elsewhere, like the solenoid pack.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Devyl posted:

It looks like they have 4 of those inlets horns for turbos in the back :(

True story: my wife was driving around and saw the black one in the other photos. Her first reaction was to dismiss it as some horrible body-kitted abomination being driven to the auctions in town.

GM may have closed down the proving grounds (they're almost nothing but rubble, I managed to get some lockers from there for my garage) but they still do a lot of testing in Mesa. In the past two months I've personally seen a diesel Colorado and the next-gen Silverado undergoing testing wtih loaded trailers, both fully camoed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

InitialDave posted:

Because it's doing its job, cutting fluid to a locked wheel until it starts to rotate again - but if the "locked wheel" is due to a duff sensor, it'll never "start" to rotate. Some systems might have a logical check in them to say "Ok, seriously, there's no way a wheel can still be locked, something's up" and stop interfering - but it may not have, and if it does, it might not react fast enough, and it wouldn't help if the fault was elsewhere, like the solenoid pack.

Yup.

We've already inserted computers between us and our driving and given them override capability. So, we've been at the mercy of software and sensors flaking out and causing problems for awhile now. Incidents can happen and do sometimes happen, but the good far outweighs the bad for the most part. That's why the concept of electric brakes doesn't bother me. You can make the power supply MORE robust than hydraulics for cheaper and control software and sensors are already something that has us at its mercy if it decides to take over.

Think of all of these adaptive cruise control systems or automatic backup avoidance systems that exist now. What if your system decides you are backing up into a child at 60 mph down a highway or that traffic has stopped dead in front of you when it hasn't?

The control is there, but the software has proper safety interlocks to prevent that from happening. So, anything anyone is afraid of with electric braking systems is already a potential issue with today's systems.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 25, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Muffinpox posted:

Last minute testing before release, they just don't camo them now since the car has been unveiled.

I saw a few of them running around Warren (near the GM R&D centre)back in December right before Christmas and came buckets :stare:. The new Viper came through the drive through of the pharmacy I work at yesterday and I had a nice chat with the guy for a few minutes about how he liked it. He said it was a lot more refined and controllable than the previous Viper but still a wild child.

The Viper looks like a overly-shiny Need For Speed car but I'd still drive it :getin:

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005
I want to like the new corvette, and from some angles I do, but I just can't overall. Not only that, does anything else think from the front the new viper and corvette look incredibly similar now? I never thought i would confuse a viper for a corvette, but I was scrolling through another thread where someone posted a picture of a new viper on a road trip and I thought it was the corvette at first glance.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kimbo305 posted:

I like the warpaint around the tail lights. Reminds me very strongly of those HSV Commodores' front ends.

That's not (just) paint:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
every new vette should come with a pair of these:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

That's not (just) paint:

Those must be vents to cool the blinker fluid.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

leica posted:

They couldn't have POSSIBLY put those on without having non-round taillights!

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

leica posted:

Why does the Corvette Stingray have so many vents? Here's why: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/27/why-does-the-corvette-stingray-have-so-many-vents-heres-why/

e: transmission and differential cooling, I believe.

MrSaturn fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 28, 2013

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

They couldn't have POSSIBLY put those on without having non-round taillights!

All of the round taillight renders I've seen have been terrible. It's not like they didn't try it out on a bunch of their designs or anything.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

fknlo posted:

All of the round taillight renders I've seen have been terrible. It's not like they didn't try it out on a bunch of their designs or anything.

Yeah, I imagine any venting on the kammback with round taillights would look worse.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/01/2014-2015-chrysler-200-engine-choices
News on the next generation Chrysler 200 indicate that it's being jointly designed by both Chrysler and Lancia's engineers, who've been at Auburn Hills for a while according to an insider. It's going to represent an entirely new direction for the former unlike anything they've previously made. Makes me wonder if we'll get an AWD SRT6 out of the deal after the car arrives.

Tekne fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 28, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
"Segment competitive" would be an entirely new direction.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The road that my uni is on passes right next to the Chrysler test track, and this morning I saw a small-ish car that wasn't a Dart booking it on the course... I'm rather curious what it was now. I'm going to guess it's not that, probably an Alfa or something, but man :allears:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

"Segment competitive" would be an entirely new direction.
I'm pretty sure the 200 convertible is the heaviest car in its class. :haw:

Tusen Takk posted:

The road that my uni is on passes right next to the Chrysler test track, and this morning I saw a small-ish car that wasn't a Dart booking it on the course... I'm rather curious what it was now. I'm going to guess it's not that, probably an Alfa or something, but man :allears:
In addition to the new 200, they're also supposed to be working on a Chrysler 100 hatchback with Lancia. Maybe they're planning a hot hatch.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Devyl posted:

Youtube link to the run

Hennessey is a dipshit but that goddamned car is evil. If you told me a 15 years ago that there would be multiple cars pushing close to 300mph and actually driveable on the street, I would have called you crazy.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

VikingSkull posted:

Hennessey is a dipshit but that goddamned car is evil. If you told me a 15 years ago that there would be multiple cars pushing close to 300mph and actually driveable on the street, I would have called you crazy.

What to me is even more insane is that those cars have the brakes and handling to contain that kind of power. 15 years ago if you had a 750Kw car, it was a straight line bullet with brakes that melted after a few hard stops and evil handling because the chassis couldnt handle the power.

You can take a Venom GT by the looks of it and cut a seriously fast set of flat out laps without killing yourself. It's not chassis compromised. THAT's some goddamn impressive poo poo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

Nothing yet is "pushing close to 300mph"

267mph is farther from 300mph power wise than it is from 100mph. Hennessey claims the venom can do like 275mph, but he also claims he can build cars and isn't a complete twat. Surprisingly there are bigger assholes than hennessey out there too, like these fuckin guys. http://www.gtr-xs.com/performance-goals.html

0-60 in under 1 second, 5.6 second quarter mile, 315mph top speed, all in a convertible! It takes 1900hp in a stripped ford GT to do 266mph in a standing mile, and these geniuses want to hit 260mph in the quarter mile with 2000hp.

If you want to see what 300mph takes, look no further than this FWD triumph GT-6 is a 305mph car.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ODBL2r0vwA
While it's not a production car, performance power's ford GT managed to hit 283mph (verified by guinness world Records) in a standing mile, but you can't hear or see much of it in this lovely video. I'm guessing they sold the footage to speed, velocity, or even a more terriblemainstream channel like history.