Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
That MS Bundle... wow thanks Tony!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

King Keltair posted:

Wow, after the bundle and everything else this month I still have a coupon - anyone have an opinion on Max Payne 3 vs. Age of Empires 3?

I remember people in the steam thread being kinda underwhelmed by Age of Empires 3 when it came up there during the christmas sale.

Job Creator
Apr 3, 2009

Is the THQ mega-pack going to go back up? :negative:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
$3.75 for Mark of the Ninja is fantastic, shame it's limited to US customers for some reason. :(

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Moola posted:

$3.75 for Mark of the Ninja is fantastic, shame it's limited to US customers for some reason. :(

(put a US address when checking out)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

xenilk posted:

(put a US address when checking out)

Cheers! :ninja:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

xenilk posted:

That MS Bundle... wow thanks Tony!

No kidding! I used my $5 credit from buying TSW on it. One dollar a game!

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
So today's Steam deal is Sleeping Dogs, and I guess Amazon is reducing it even further to $10 (it's $12.49 on Steam), so even without a coupon it's a pretty decent deal.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

tetsman posted:

So today's Steam deal is Sleeping Dogs, and I guess Amazon is reducing it even further to $10 (it's $12.49 on Steam), so even without a coupon it's a pretty decent deal.

I'm seeing it at $9.99 on Steam also... and the $5 off promo on Amazon does not apply to Sleeping Dogs.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Breadallelogram posted:

I'm seeing it at $9.99 on Steam also... and the $5 off promo on Amazon does not apply to Sleeping Dogs.

Huh, maybe it's a region thing then. I did run out of coupons so I thought it was a good deal anyway.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
That's a very good price for a good game.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anything for Guild Wars 2 in the foreseeable future?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sean Archer posted:

Is the THQ mega-pack going to go back up? :negative:
Is there something you want to trade for? I took a few games.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Shiiiiiiiiiiiit. Apparently I missed out on The Sims 3 for $7.50. I have been meaning to grab that for ages.

Any chance it's dropping again soon?

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Reason posted:

Anything for Guild Wars 2 in the foreseeable future?

I'm interested in this, too.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.
Hey guys,

Starting tomorrow you can get Stronghold HD (DRM free) for free when you link your Amazon account with Stronghold Kingdoms and download the game:

http://www.amazon.com/FireFly-Studios-41044ld-Kingdoms1-Stronghold/dp/B0083LD2TE/

Here's Stronghold HD:

http://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Holdings-Limited-Stronghold-Download/dp/B009YKVRYA/

Also, Guild Wars 2 is out for January, and we will have a Sims Sale in early Feb.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
I have the Stronghold collection that was up on Amazon with the Civ games, does that have the HD version?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Saw those CKII DLC packs listed in the Steam thread. Officially looking for an extra coupon someone has!

squirt the daisies
Apr 26, 2009

Immortal Wombat? That game is for pantywaists!
Could some kind kind (kind) goon give me this, using the coupon, for 5$ (using paypal) http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-5-G...XWK33HDFMQR0R02 ? :bigtran:

I also have some steam games available for gifting. Steam id is http://steamcommunity.com/id/viezurix , thank you, (kind) goon.

Simbyotic
Aug 24, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hey Tony, do you think you are going to have any sale on the Total War games soon? Been wanting to pick up Shogun for a while now but the price never seemed right.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

:catdrugs:

AmazonTony posted:

Hey guys,

Starting tomorrow you can get Stronghold HD (DRM free) for free when you link your Amazon account with Stronghold Kingdoms and download the game:

http://www.amazon.com/FireFly-Studios-41044ld-Kingdoms1-Stronghold/dp/B0083LD2TE/

Here's Stronghold HD:

http://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Holdings-Limited-Stronghold-Download/dp/B009YKVRYA/

Also, Guild Wars 2 is out for January, and we will have a Sims Sale in early Feb.

Nice, worked perfectly, thanks! Looking forward to the Sims sale.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.
Hey guys,

Here's a full deal update (I will add this to the OP as well):

Visit this page to see these deals (we will be adding the Paradox stuff sometime today):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000728511&tag=somethingawfu-20

1/24-1/31:

The Darkness II - $7.49 ($2.49 after coupon)
NBA 2K13 - $14.99 ($9.99 after coupon)
XCom: Enemy Unknown - $24.99 ($19.99 after coupon)
Borderlands 2 - $29.99 ($24.99 after coupon)
Spec Ops: The Line - $7.49 ($2.49 after coupon)
Max Payne 3 - $14.99 ($9.99 after coupon)

2K Super Strategy Pack: $19.99 ($14.99 after coupon, all activate on Steam):

2K Shooter Pack: $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon, all activate on Steam):

The Desert to Sea Bundle: $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon, all activate on Steam):

The Crazy Action Pack: $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon, all activate on Steam):

2K Mega Pack: $24.99 ($19.99 after coupon, all activate on Steam except CivCity Rome):

1/27-2/2:

Microsoft 5 Game Indie Bundle - $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon, all activate on steam). Contains:

1. Deadlight
2. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
3. Iron Brigade
4. Mark of the Ninja
5. Toy Soldiers

Age of Empires III Complete Collection - $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon, activates on Steam)

Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2.49 (coupon not applicable, activates on Steam)

Toy Soldiers - $2.49
Mark of the Ninja - $3.75
Iron Brigade - $3.75
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet - $3.75
Deadlight - $3.75

1/25-1/27:

Syndicate - $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon) - not Steam
Crysis Maximum Maximum -$17.99 ($12.99 after coupon) - not Steam FYI, for those curious about Crysis activations the limit is 50 not 5, check it out:

http://secure.mycrysis.com/forums/vi...p?f=40&t=46212

1/29-1/31:

Burning Hot Bundle - $11.99 ($6.99 after coupon)

1/31:

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition: $17.49 ($12.49 after coupon)
The Secret World - $17.99 ($12.99 after coupon)

All will be included in the EC promotion. (Coupon information at the bottom of this post)

1/30-1/31:

Pint Sized Paradox Package - $7.49 ($2.49 after coupon all Steam) contains:

Warlock: Master of the Arcane
Majesty Gold - HD
Majesty 2 Collection
Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Holy Land
Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Faith
Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Albion
Crusader Kings II: Ruler Designer DLC
Crusader Kings II: Mongols DLC Pack
Crusader Kings II: Dynasty Shields DLC Pack

Plentiful Paradox Package - $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon) all activate on Steam, contains:

Crusader Kings II
Magicka Collection
Magicka The Stars Are Left DLC
Sword of the Stars - Complete Collection
Sword of the Stars II: Enhanced Edition
Victoria II

Paradox Majesty Franchise - $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon) all activate on Steam, contains:

Defenders of Ardania Battlemagic
Defenders of Ardania
Defenders of Ardania: The Conjurer's Tricks DLC
Majesty 2 Collection
Majesty Gold - HD
Master of the Arcane Master of Artifacts DLC
Warlock Master of the Arcane Power of the Serpent DLC
Warlock Master of the Arcane Return of the Elves DLC
Warlock Master of the Arcane Powerful Lords DLC
Warlock Master of the Arcane

Paradox War Chest - $7.49 (2.49 after coupon) all Steam except Achtung Panzer contains:

Achtung Panzer Kharkov 1943 - NOT STEAM
Gettysburg: Armored Warfare
Hearts of Iron III Collection
King Arthur Collections
King Arthur II
Victoria II
Victoria II: A House Divided - Expansion

Paradox Seas Bundle $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon) (appears only 1 game is Steam)

Commander: Conquest of the Americas
Commander: Conquest of the Americas - Colonial Navy (Expansion)
East India Company Collection
Naval War: Arctic Circle (Steam)
Pirates of Black Cove
Pirates of Black Cove - Origins DLC
Ship Simulator Extremes
Victoria II
Victoria II: A House Divided DLC

Additionally, sometime tomorrow (when OPS is done making the bundles) these will go on sale:

1/30-1/31 (NOT LIVE YET) - Paradox 2012 Pack - $14.99 ($9.99 after coupon) I'll have to reconcile tomorrow what activates on Steam:

A Game Of Dwarves
A Game of Dwarves: Ale Pack
A Game of Dwarves: Star Dwarves
Crusader King Complete
Crusader Kings II
Crusader Kings II: African Portraits
Crusader Kings II: African Unit Pack DLC
Crusader Kings II: Byzantine Unit Pack
Crusader Kings II: Dynasty Shield II
Crusader Kings II: Dynasty Shields DLC Pack
Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Crusader Kings II: Mediterranean Portraits DLC
Crusader Kings II: Mongols DLC Pack
Crusader Kings II: Ruler Designer DLC
Crusader Kings II: Russian Portraits
Crusader Kings II: Russian Unit Pack
Crusader Kings II: Songs of Albion DLC
Crusader Kings II: Songs of Byzantium
Crusader Kings II: Songs of Faith DLC
Crusader Kings II: Songs of Prosperity DLC
Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Caliph DLC
Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Holy Land DLC
Crusader Kings II: Songs of the RU
Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
Crusader Kings II: The Republic DLC
Starvoid
War of the Roses - House of York Deluxe Edition
War of the Roses: House of Lancaster Armor Set DLC
War of the Roses: House of York Armor Set DLC
Warlock Master of the Arcane Master of Artifacts DLC
Warlock Master of the Arcane Power of the Serpent DLC
Warlock Master of the Arcane Return of the Elves DLC
Warlock Master of the Arcane: Armageddon
Warlock: Master of the Arcane

Warlock: Master of the Arcane - Powerful Lords DLC

Crusader Kings Pack - $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon): All Crusader Kings Content Amazon Digital Carries (Crusader Kings Complete + Crusader Kings II + DLC).

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

:catdrugs:

AmazonTony posted:

1/30-1/31:

Pint Sized Paradox Package - $7.49 ($2.49 after coupon all Steam) contains:

Plentiful Paradox Package - $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon) all activate on Steam, contains:

Paradox Majesty Franchise - $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon) all activate on Steam, contains:

Paradox War Chest - $7.49 (2.49 after coupon) all Steam except Achtung Panzer contains:

Paradox Seas Bundle $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon) (appears only 1 game is Steam)

Additionally, sometime tomorrow (when OPS is done making the bundles) these will go on sale:

Crusader Kings Pack - $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon): All Crusader Kings Content Amazon Digital Carries (Crusader Kings Complete + Crusader Kings II + DLC).

:monocle: Those Paradox bundles! Must have.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

AmazonTony posted:

Ok, this has me wondering is there any Crusader Kings Content Amazon Digital doesn't carry? :raise:

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Tony, you are the man. I have one feeble concern, however. Today I saw that a couple paradox deals went live, including the Plentiful Paradox Package. I jumped on it. And then I saw your post just now that there will be a 'Crusader Kings Pack' which has Crusader Kings and all the DLC.

My issue is thus: What I really wanted was the Crusader Kings Pack, but was unaware of it when I purchased the Plentiful pack.

Would Amazon be able to work with me to do some sort of exchange?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Tony, any chance for more coupons if we used ours up already?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is Amazon going to price match the Steam deal on Alice? I already have it on Steam, but wouldn't mind getting the bundle from Amazon with the original game so I can plug it into my Steam copy.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Tony, any chance for more coupons if we used ours up already?

Any chance for coupons for people who have Prime and buy from Amazon all the time but didn't happen to qualify for one? (AKA me).

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
How do these Paradox strategy games play? Are they RTS, turn-based? What are the gems, and what games do they compare to? If I'm a fan of Civilization, SimCity and general world building, what game might interest me?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Revol posted:

How do these Paradox strategy games play? Are they RTS, turn-based? What are the gems, and what games do they compare to? If I'm a fan of Civilization, SimCity and general world building, what game might interest me?
"Grand strategy" -- playing your way through history. Combat is, to varying extents, kinda rudimentary, with more focus on economics, diplomacy and internal management. They're sometimes called RTS but they're nothing like a Starcraft or Company of Heroes. You could say they're turn-based but infinitesimally sliced, each turn representing one day and you can run through them without intervention until something interesting happens. There's a demo for CK2, which is by far their most polished, accessible and accomplished title; check that out for a taste.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Most of Paradox's games are what is typically referred to as "Grand Strategy games". They are set on a big map of the world/region where time passes as you manage various aspects of your nation, with pop-ups occasionally bringing events and other things to your notice.

My favorite is Crusader Kings II. The best thing about Crusader Kings II is that you don't play a country/kingdom, instead you play as the successive heads of a family dynasty as it rises to power (or falls from it). So it plays like a strategy game with little bits of RPG or choose-your-own-adventure game thrown in. One day your family might be lowly counts, but a couple generations later through clever marriage arrangements, a well timed assassination and a few brushfire wars of conquest your latest ruler suddenly finds himself on the verge of becoming King of an entire region.

Then he dies of a heartattack at age 55 in bed with his 30-years-younger wife :flashfap: and, now, as his eldest son you find your realm torn apart in civil war as your rear end in a top hat younger brothers decide they should be the head of the dynasty, and what is that bastard of dad's (that is older than you) plotting for you?

Or your dynasty-head dies young, leaving you playing as his pre-teen son and your (next-in-line of succession) Uncle becomes your regent, and well...

Though I wouldn't recommend playing CK2 and perhaps other Paradox games for the combat. In CK2 its mostly just throwing armies at eachother, hoping you brought the bigger army and hoping they win, its not very detailed, but that isn't the focus of the game.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 30, 2013

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I'd also like to add that if you're at all a fan of Game of Thrones, there's a total conversion mod for CK2 that pretty much makes it the best Game of Thrones video game out there.

http://citadel.prophpbb.com/topic2166.html

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

I played CK2 for 4 hours without having any idea what I was doing, and suddenly it's 12 hours later and I'm the king of Ireland and my half-brother leads a rebellion with an army twice the size of mine so I ransom his son (who I imprisoned for plotting to kill me) back to him for enough money to hire my own private mercenary army to put down the rebellion, and have him executed.

Edit: Then married his wife

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
So what's the best combination of Paradox bundles to buy? There's quite a lot -- it's a tad confusing.

CK2 is the one I definitely want to get, so maybe I'll just wait for the CK kings bundle and just get that.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Warlock and Game of Dwarves are possibly interesting enough to be worth the extra $5 for the 2012 pack.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My favorite is Crusader Kings II. The best thing about Crusader Kings II is that you don't play a country/kingdom, instead you play as the successive heads of a family dynasty as it rises to power (or falls from it). So it plays like a strategy game with little bits of RPG or choose-your-own-adventure game thrown in. One day your family might be lowly counts, but a couple generations later through clever marriage arrangements, a well timed assassination and a few brushfire wars of conquest your latest ruler suddenly finds himself on the verge of becoming King of an entire region.

Then he dies of a heartattack at age 55 in bed with his 30-years-younger wife :flash: and, now, as his eldest son you find your realm torn apart in civil war as your rear end in a top hat younger brothers decide they should be the head of the dynasty, and what is that bastard of dad's (that is older than you) plotting for you?

Or your dynasty-head dies young, leaving you playing as his pre-teen son and your (next-in-line of succession) Uncle becomes your regent, and well...

That sounds loving sick as poo poo. And I don't want strategy/RTS games focused on combat. I can't stand Starcraft-ian games anymore.

loving build orders gently caress you

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

PoshAlligator posted:

So what's the best combination of Paradox bundles to buy? There's quite a lot -- it's a tad confusing.

CK2 is the one I definitely want to get, so maybe I'll just wait for the CK kings bundle and just get that.

If I remember right the Sword of Islam DLC for CK2 is very much worth having, so it's either the Paradox complete pack for 10 bucks after coupon or the CK2 complete pack + another pack, but of course you need 2 coupons for that second option.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hearts of Iron III looks interesting but is it worth it?

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

No, unless you like the choice between watching the AI fight for you and micromanagement hell. Hearts of Iron 2 and the derivatives Arsenal of Democracy and Darkest Hour are really good, but 3 is mediocre at best. The summary of the game in the Paradox thread OP sums it up well.

quote:

Arguably one of Paradox's most ambitious undertaking to date, HOI3 is a World War 2 game featuring an enormous map with 10,000 provinces, realistic weather and supply systems, warfare theatre management and optional AI control of your armies and production. Unfortunately it lacked a development cycle to match its ambitions, and was virtually unplayable on release. Expansions and patches have greatly improved on the game, but it remains a controversial title and many people still feel that HOI3 is too rigid and unwieldy, with a static political system, overcomplicated warfare system that forces the player to rely on the AI to play the game for them, and generally too ahistorical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Those Paradox packs make me wish I had one of those fancy coupons.

• Locked thread