Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

people are literally arguing about codec packs in tyool 2013 :ughh:

just install ffdshow, problem solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

RZApublican posted:

just install ffdshow, problem solved

hell just use mpc or vlc (use mpc if you are neurotypical)

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

i use mplayerx cause its the first one i saw in the application store

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is h265 ready eyet

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

hell just use mpc or vlc (use mpc if you are neurotypical)

lol you think that a player that is unable to do a rec.601 to rec.709 translation, that have vsync disabled by default, and cant properly handle a 3-2 pulldown is for normals?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

yes i'm a neurotypical that uses media player classic because the internal codecs render the colors correctly lol.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

next thing you're going to tell me is that crystal skull was a good movie too because it had jar jar binks head? right?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pagancow posted:

vsync disabled by default

but mpc does vsync by default

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

yes I want tearing frames when i'm watching my video - a thing said by nobody

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

people are literally arguing about codec packs in tyool 2013 :ughh:
VLC Supremacy

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

it's icon is a traffic cone

so you know to avoid it.

and yet you still have it

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

yes I want tearing frames when i'm watching my video - a thing said by nobody

i dont have this problem even with vsync off?? sorry about your weirdo refresh timings i guess

also mpc renders colors correctly as far as i can tell sooooo

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

you have no idea how powerful I really am

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

you have no idea how powerful I really am

i have not yet bought a colorimeter mostly because there have been numerous better uses for my money so far but also because i don't need another excuse to tweak and fuss over my monitors :ohdear:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I'm just talking about 0-255 full range RGB vs TV range 16-235

VLC displays the video in 16-235 and doesn't do a translation, out of the box

cool when you're watching anything you've actually bought since its all encoded that way you know?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
oh ok

i think mpc has an option for that and its on full range by default. vlc is one of those programs that is always on the cusp of usability but winds up doing something stupid every time i use it

what was the reason given for limiting the range for tv? are most tvs so bad they clip before displaying actual black or white?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

its a legacy thing to save bandwith, or tv's with bad tuners. It is essentially the white space between channels on analog systems.

Today it's just a "because TV electronics expect to display signal between 16-235" in digital realm.

In files it's a way to reduce bit-depth and save space on compression.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
oh ok. this is also why we still have interlaced video i assume. i mean does interlacing save any bandwidth/data rate/whatever when encoded with lossy compression? it doesn't seem like it would.

i guess the whole 16-235 thing is also what the color space setting on my tv is trying to cope with

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
also it's legacy stuff from the analog video days for mixing video feeds for live broadcasts and stuff. like, you'd have a hardware mixer box with, say, 2 video inputs. it would show video feed 1, except anywhere feed 1 was pure black it would let feed 2 show through.

so you had to make sure there was never any pure black except anywhere that was supposed to be transparent, or the little news segment you had cut together for airing on the nightly news might accidentally have something else showing through, depending on what they ran it through in the control room during broadcast.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 27, 2013

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

oh ok. this is also why we still have interlaced video i assume. i mean does interlacing save any bandwidth/data rate/whatever when encoded with lossy compression? it doesn't seem like it would.

i guess the whole 16-235 thing is also what the color space setting on my tv is trying to cope with

Over HDMI there should be nothing to cope with, the device will do a handshake and say "I'm full range, or TV range" and TV will display accordingly

Things get hosed up when you USE VLC where the comptuer's HDMI handhshake said "yep full range" and VLC defaults to displaying the TV range straight on a full range device. OPPPEEN SOOOREESSS

Interlaced video was a way to save bandwidth in analog by only using half the cycles needed to "display 60 cycles per second"

Fishmech claims its the mans way of selling you high end broadcast equipment.

Interlaced needs to go away with DCT like compression schemes as it is really inefficient for saving bandwidth.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
good news, h.265 supports interlaced video by saving the fields as separate frames and having some flag that tells the decoder that they should be shown interlaced.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Wheany posted:

good news, h.265 supports interlaced video by saving the fields as separate frames and having some flag that tells the decoder that they should be shown interlaced.

well that should reduce some of the shittiness of converting interlaced video. maybe

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just use wmp, u autists. windows has all the codecs you need installed already.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Shaggar posted:

qft unless you like keyboard controls.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Wheany posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaa haaaa haa haaha haahahahhaha

like anybody will support this decode side. see h.264

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Shaggar posted:

so does mpc

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaa haaaa haa haaha haahahahhaha

like anybody will support this decode side. see h.264

it'll be a good bellwether of who is and who aint worthy as a manufacturer :colbert:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pagancow posted:

qft unless you like keyboard controls.

wmp supports media keys

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Shaggar posted:

wmp supports media keys

model m bro

i like how they decided to remove all the keyboard shortcuts in wmp9 for stop play pause ff because that was really hurting the UX

pagancow fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 28, 2013

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I just watched The Matrix on Blu-Ray and i could see compression artifacts.

I hit select on the PS3 controller and saw 18mbps average vc-1

loooooooooooooool shaggar how do you explain that?

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

420:69

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

I just watched The Matrix on Blu-Ray and i could see compression artifacts.

I hit select on the PS3 controller and saw 18mbps average vc-1

loooooooooooooool shaggar how do you explain that?

lovely outdated image processor?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lovely outdated image processor?

VC-1 doesn't have deblocking enabled by default in the encoder, why would someone encode it right in the first place?

lovely outdated codec?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

VC-1 doesn't have deblocking enabled by default in the encoder, why would someone encode it right in the first place?

lovely outdated codec?

imo thats what you get for watching the matrix in tyool 2013

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
pagan cow are there colourblind people who do post work

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
like sometimes I think that if I overcompensated the red and green on my screen accordingly id be able to see things "normally" but I don't think anything works that way plus it would still look wrong to me I think?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
vlc is so bad, especially how it handles sound, im sure it sounds real good on the coders logitech desktop speakers though!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

ahmeni posted:

pagan cow are there colourblind people who do post work

Yeah. They are just editors or sound people or they work with people who can help them out if needed.

Also don't have to see all color to shoot either.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
i've done a bunch of tv production and I can't see green for poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

woah...then...yospos is a grey forum for you?

• Locked thread