Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hey, we're all pretty reasonable people, here's some not:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=510575&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Do you guys really think Peyton is a choke artist or is it just his team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

Kalli posted:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=510575&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Many of the posters in that thread seem relatively reasonable about it (i.e. it's mostly Fox's fault for his playcalling and the defensive breakdown on the Hail Mary), but on the other hand...

code:
is Peyton a choke artist?
yes	52% 	[ 51 ]
no	47% 	[ 47 ]
Total Votes : 98

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Kalli posted:

Third post down in that thread...

quote:

No. Tony Romo however is. Manning has more than one career playoff win.

That didn't take long.

Half tempted to remind them that Peyton has the most playoff losses in the history of the NFL. Just to be an rear end in a top hat and make a dumb thread worse.

Edit:

Ok. Which one of you is the 5th post down.

quote:

Well hes no Tim Tebow

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

quote:

matt ryan should be thanking the enforcer of landover plantation for lashing chris clemons to death

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Did someone mention Tony Romo?
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4968646#post4968646

quote:

Not this tired old myth.

Romo led his team to the playoffs twice in high school, they promptly lost each time.

Romo led his team to the playoffs twice in college, they promptly lost both times.

Romo led his team to the playoffs once with a HOF coach in the NFL, and they promptly lost.

Romo led his NFL team to the NFL playoffs twice more and both times lost quickly, finally winning one game against the overmatched Eagles.

In the last two years, Romo led his team to a win or go home final game of the season, they went home both times.

Yet, the Romo worshippers refuse to believe that Romo is what history has shown repeatedly he truly is, a Jonah, a coach killer, a lifelong loser when the chips are truly down.

The Romopologists think that he needs a different coach, or better teammates or a better system. He has proven he will lose regardless of how good of a coach he has, whatever scheme he is in, and in spite of having 12 pro-bowlers surrounding him.

This is not opinion. This is undeniable facts.

Romo has never won on any level ever so that means he's a loser and will never win... EVER!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Uh, Jonah got eaten by a whale right? Like that's his claim to fame? And then the whale throws him up and he lives?

How is that not clutch?

e: Did Jonah kill God? I thought that was Nietzsche.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 17, 2013

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Dan Snyder killed RW3's playoff dream. Now he's going to Mandingo fight Red Bryant

Big Jay Cutler
Sep 2, 2011

IT'S ME

Grittybeard posted:

Uh, Jonah got eaten by a whale right? Like that's his claim to fame? And then the whale throws him up and he lives?

How is that not clutch?

I think he means Judas.

quote:

The Romopologists think that he needs a different coach, or better teammates or a better system. He has proven he will lose regardless of how good of a coach he has, whatever scheme he is in, and in spite of having 12 pro-bowlers surrounding him.

No guy nooooooooo don't go in there aaaaaaaiieee

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Grittybeard posted:

How is that not clutch?

Unless the guy is trying to compare Dallas to the ancient city of Ninevah I have no idea wtf he is talking about either.

ShakeyDog
May 27, 2008

AfterFather posted:

Did someone mention Tony Romo?
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4968646#post4968646

Romo has never won on any level ever so that means he's a loser and will never win... EVER!

Perhaps there are genetic reasons for Romo's subpar playoff performance.

Imo, it's a dark stain on science's reputation that they haven't managed to isolate the clutch gene yet.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

How is that not clutch?

I guess Jonah was on a boat before the whole whale thing and caused really bad luck.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I knew we would get some good ol' fashioned Boston tears after yesterday, and this guy does not disappoint.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2013/1/20/3898408/ravens-vs-patriots-what-we-learned-from-the-afc-championship-game

It hits all the points you'd expect: Brady is a choker, defense didn't lose the game, etc.

It also has my all time favorite :patssay: moment: The Patriots are the Colts of the 00's. "Our team is really loving good and wins 12 games every year, :qq: WOE IS US :qq:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Benne posted:

I knew we would get some good ol' fashioned Boston tears after yesterday, and this guy does not disappoint.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2013/1/20/3898408/ravens-vs-patriots-what-we-learned-from-the-afc-championship-game

It hits all the points you'd expect: Brady is a choker, defense didn't lose the game, etc.

It also has my all time favorite :patssay: moment: The Patriots are the Colts of the 00's. "Our team is really loving good and wins 12 games every year, :qq: WOE IS US :qq:

I love these kinds of narratives because they always ignore the fact there is even a second team on the field. You can be a strong, diverse, well-rounded team and still lose to another team simply because they were better for 60 minutes. I mean, Brady has seen 23 post season games and only lost six. Its just not statistically possibly or even reasonable to expect a team or QB to win every time they hit the postseason/Super Bowl.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Brady is having Elway's career arc in reverse and I'm loving it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I am still eagerly awaiting the first sports commentator to ask "Is Tom Brady 'elite?'"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grozz Nuy posted:

Now and then I try to come up with the names of the three amigos and I can never do it. Ricky Nattiel and....yeah.

Really looking forward to having a moment like that when thinking of the Pats of the last few years.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I mean, the Patriots did only put up 13 points on a defense that's been pretty mediocre during the regular season. Brady did not have a particularly good game, at least by his usual standard of play.

People spoiled for success just don't really get that you can't win the Super Bowl every year just because you've won in the recent past. It's really loving hard to win 3 or 4 games in a row against the best competition the NFL has to offer.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I don't think people really understand the concept of parity that the NFL has to offer. With profit sharing and hard caps, teams are going to be closer together than in other sports. People seem to understand it more in hockey.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

sweet thursday posted:

I don't think people really understand the concept of parity that the NFL has to offer. With profit sharing and hard caps, teams are going to be closer together than in other sports. People seem to understand it more in hockey.

Even beyond that, one thing I try to remember as a sports fan is that there are 32 teams in the NFL. Every year, the season ends in disappointment for 31 of them. No matter how good a team is, in the end it comes down to only one team that gets to be happy in February. You have to come to terms with that fact as a fan.

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

sweet thursday posted:

I was going to say hockey fans seem a little more balanced but, on the other hand, Vancouver fans insisting on running Luongo out of town never cease to amaze me.

That article is basically why people hate fans of New England sports and I can't say they're wrong for doing it.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I mean, the Patriots did only put up 13 points on a defense that's been pretty mediocre during the regular season. Brady did not have a particularly good game, at least by his usual standard of play.

People are looking at the game and saying he looked shaky, and there were a couple of subpar throws, but there were more bad drops than I'm used to. Like, "hit in the hands" drops.

Serisothikos fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 22, 2013

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Serisothikos posted:

People are looking at the game and saying he looked shaky, and there were a couple of subpar throws, but there were more bad drops than I'm used to. Like, "hit in the hands" drops.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but you can only handwave away so much of putting up 5.9 YPA on a team that ranked 13th in pass defense DVOA. There were some bad drops and the first INT was a tipped ball so it wasn't really his fault, but the Patriots offense was not its usual surgical self and Brady's performance has to shoulder at least some of the blame for that. Even elite players have bad games sometimes. Mike Iupati is one of the best guards in the league and he was getting beat like a drum against Atlanta.

The difference being is that some people are insistent to create narratives about it, especially during the postseason.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Would the tiredness be attributed to running so much no-huddle? The Patriots look weary after a tight game against the 49ers when they put up so-so numbers against the Dolphins and Jaguars.

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

Grozz Nuy posted:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but you can only handwave away so much of putting up 5.9 YPA on a team that ranked 13th in pass defense DVOA. There were some bad drops and the first INT was a tipped ball so it wasn't really his fault, but the Patriots offense was not its usual surgical self and Brady's performance has to shoulder at least some of the blame for that. Even elite players have bad games sometimes. Mike Iupati is one of the best guards in the league and he was getting beat like a drum against Atlanta.

The difference being is that some people are insistent to create narratives about it, especially during the postseason.

13th of 32 is "above average"; it's not like they were playing the Saints or, y'know, themselves. The offense wasn't clicking, but I'd split the blame about 30-70.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tae posted:

Would the tiredness be attributed to running so much no-huddle? The Patriots look weary after a tight game against the 49ers when they put up so-so numbers against the Dolphins and Jaguars.

They were fine last week against the Texans and I think they were fine against the Dolphins as well, Jaguars though no doubt the team was definitely not up for that game though.

Honestly, they just had a ton of errors kill drives in the second half, which combined with the Ravens offense being very efficient, and their run D limiting the Patriots enough won them the game. Welker drops an open easy pass on 3rd down, leading to a punt when a catch most likely leads to at least a field goal attempt. Next drive Ridley gets knocked the gently caress out on a fluky hit. Next drive Brady throws a gorgeous pass to Welker for 40 yards then next play a tipped pass rockets straight up in the air for an int and the game's over. Hell, if Talib doesn't go out injured, the narrative is probably about how bad of a game Flacco had, up until the Welker drop, he was rocking something like an 8 of 19 performance.

Also pretend I just posted links to any patriots forum, because jesus

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

quote:

Ok I was reluctant to buy into this but after listening to people tell
me it is true and considering some what I've seen/heard I am wondering.

here's some stuff to consider.

1. NBA is on record that refs take pay offs to influence game out comes
and the ref caught said he is not the only one doing it. Is it a stretch to
think there may be NFL refs doing it also?

2. PATs with an offense scoring 30+ points a game just finished off a team
with a pretty good defense in the playoffs with 40+ points and is held to
13 points by an old D.

3. The ratings for a Harbaugh vs Harbaugh Superbowl were off the scales.
There are billions involved here folks. With that much money at stake it is
possible some people were bought to influence the outcome of the game?

4. Tom Brady. Think about his body language. Did he seem like
he was really playing to win? To me he didn't have that fire in his eyes.
His body language seemed to say " I already know what the outcome will be .. so why try hard .. I'll just do what I'm paid to do"

Consider it all ask yourself ...
does it make sense that this offense is held to 13 points with NO points in the second half?

It almost seems like the no 2nd half points was
a rebellion to the game being fixed .... the only way that they could
say it was fixed without saying it verbally.

Thoughts?

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/1002745-nfl-conspiracy-theory.html

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
hahahahahahah

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Tom Brady had a bad game, therefore the NFL fixed the AFCCG for ratings. Beautiful.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Not only did I click that link, I kept reading the thread as well. I'm loving dumb.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

quote:

Right .. one of the best offenses ever held to NO points in the second half.
I am sure you believe that makes sense.
When defenders can hang on receivers and no calls made, what adjustments are to be made? Refs were deciding the game at that point
and the players knew it.

Don't read the thread. It just gets worse and worse. The guy is so condescending towards anyone who says "you're insane. Did Brady conspired with a DE to swat his ball into an INT? Did they conspired to knock out Steven Ridley?"

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

quote:

quote:

My thoughts? Ok since you asked...

Please stop posting or ban yourself until the medication kicks in.

Thankee
since you are new here and you responded in a few seconds ...
maybe you're an NFL plant to squash such threads.

So if the NFL is sending plant posters into football forums to make the league look good, who is the NFL plant in TFF?

Edit:

quote:

I do not trust Roger Jetdell. I wouldn't put anything shady past him.

What??? Do they believe that, of all teams, Goodell is biased in favor of the Jets?

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 27, 2013

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Big Bob is the NFL plant.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Ok ok I promise no more but I cant stop laughing

quote:

Nothing wrong with this post. I said the exact same thing about three years ago about the NFL. The games Denver played with Tebow last year, were rigged. Saints-Colts SB, rigged. Did you see Manning in the game, I know he chokes, but come on! As much as I love the Patriots myself, the Rams SB was rigged, because of the whole 9/11 and the American unity/Patriotism thing, that's why they called for the "tuck-rule" in the Raiders game. The Patriots-Panthers SB - fixed. Since when does a kicker kick the balls out of bounds on a kick off? I chose to ignore it, because I love the Patriots and I wanted the best for them and Tom Brady especially. The Steelers-Colts AFC championship game a few years ago, where Manning threw an obvious INT to Polamalu and they took it back? Come on now, it's obvious they were trying to get the Colts into the SB.

I'm not sure if the players are aware though. I'm positive the owners and head coaches are. I believe Belichick had to inform Brady, there was no way the Ravens D was gonna stop Brady, so he had to throw the game and punt of 4th and 2, when he usually would've went for it. When I was watching the games last year, from Tebow-mania to teams blowing games so that the Giants could make the SB. I knew there was a conspiracy. They can't completely control the outcome, they tried to get the Vick redemption story into the SB a couple years back, but he blew the game because he's not that good.

It's become so obvious these days. I wanted to write my own book about it and get millions, but then I'll be tearing apart one of the most entertaining sports of all time. Then again it didn't exactly kill the WWE, the bad writing and loss of real entertainers is what killed the WWE.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yup the league fixed games specifically to avoid Brady vs Peyton in the AFCC this year.

Yep, uh huh.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I want to read that book. ALL THAT PROOF! Thank god hes so gracious.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
So he's got all these reasons why like the 9/11-"Patriot"ism connection but somehow two media-unfriendly relatively unlikeable brothers is enough of a reason to fix the playoffs. The year Peyton Manning gets to them. Ok.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Pats fans have gotten so delusional

We didn't make the superbowl guys, cut everything

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Sam Bradford and two firsts for Brady doesn't make sense to me but maybe im being a goon gm

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Febreeze posted:

Please don't refer to the staff at the Boston Globe or Herald as "Pats fans." Because they aren't. The Globe only cares about the Red Sox and Boston College Eagles. And for some reason has an unholy grudge against UMASS but thats neither here or there.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 27, 2013

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Febreeze posted:

Please do so Patriots.

Sincerely,
The rest of the AFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU