Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

Colon V posted:

Also, play it on Easy, it's a game you play for the story, not the gameplay.

I disagree. If you check out the Spec Ops thread you will see that some folks (myself included) played it on Hard and it made the experience more visceral and aligned with the harrowing story. Granted, there will be parts that will be a pain to beat, but it makes things more satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

nipplefish posted:

Completed Psychonauts - I know I'm a little late in playing this one, but I absolutely loved it. I felt it was a little slow at the start, while you're earning your psychic skills. But the second half of the game once you start going into the asylum's mental worlds is amazing.

You found all the figments? Jesus. I tried doing that and stopped after the second brain.

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

I beat Split/Second. I can't remember the last time my opinion on a game swung as hard as it did on this one. I was convinced after the first couple hours that it was my favorite racing game ever, then they introduced the Air Assault and Survival events. What a loving load of poo poo they are. Also there is an unbelievable amount of padding at the end of the game. More than half my time with this game was spent re-doing races I had already finished to try and change my third place finish into second so I could access the final elite races. I spent over an hour trying to get the last 10 credits I needed for the final race and it was made all the more frustrating because I was so far ahead in the season standings that I would automatically finish 1st once I actually qualified for the finale. It really is a shame that the game gets bogged down by all of this because the core racing experience is actually a ton of fun.

Anyway, I suppose I should be happy just to finish a game for once. That's one down, 1014 to go. I think I'm going to play Far Cry next although I'm not too sure on my chances of finishing it since I am not very good at first-person shooters.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Completed Rage. Went for the Obsessive Compulsive achievement, because why not? Opinion remains unchanged: good driving game, not so good shooter. A couple nice weapons though. If I can find someone who doesn't lag horribly I might do all the co-op missions also.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hob_Gadling posted:

Completed Rage. Went for the Obsessive Compulsive achievement, because why not? Opinion remains unchanged: good driving game, not so good shooter. A couple nice weapons though. If I can find someone who doesn't lag horribly I might do all the co-op missions also.

How was that cheating knife game with the randomized 5th level, huh? I tried to do this and at the end of the loving game I realized I somehow missed a card which you can only get in the Authority Prison. I tried for an hour looking through the debug commands trying to find some kind of noclip, givecard, level select whatever but nothing. gently caress Rage's achievements, gently caress limited window items in general.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

How was that cheating knife game with the randomized 5th level, huh?

No idea, played one level of it and left it at that. You only need to win money in each of the minigames, not max them out. As for the cards, those that I missed showed up in the shop to buy for $1000 a pop. Missed a bunch but money is easy to come by.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hob_Gadling posted:

No idea, played one level of it and left it at that. You only need to win money in each of the minigames, not max them out. As for the cards, those that I missed showed up in the shop to buy for $1000 a pop. Missed a bunch but money is easy to come by.

Eh? What shop?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
The shop where you would buy ammo and ingredients.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
BEATEN: Dishonored - Got the "high chaos" ending, because I suck/get impatient a lot and just slaughtered 90% of the enemies in every level. But this game is a lot of fun, and I'd like to (eventually) go back and do a no-kill stealth play-through.

NOW PLAYING: Borderlands - Going against recommendations and playing single player, mainly because I'm bad about losing interest in a game for a period of time, or playing at random hours, so I don't want others to have to rely on me (or me on them). Took me a little bit of time to get into it (partly because it felt like you're moving kinda slowly), but now it seems like a fun time-waster. Re-spawning enemies is getting kinda annoying, but oh well.

I've also bought a poo poo-ton of games from GOG and Steam over the last few months, but I've decided I just like collecting GOG games, so won't add them to my backloggery until/unless I actually start playing them. I need to go through and figure out what Steam games I haven't added, though. Oh my wallet :smith: Stupid sales.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Just beat Intrusion 2. Didn't like it at first but by the time the first boss rolled around I realized why it was so rad. Yeah the physics sometimes get in the way and the music and sound are nothing special but goddamn if it isn't the perfect throwback to games like Contra without being too retro. The animation and many of the enemies are awesome to watch and it has some of the best bosses I've ever seen. The final boss in particular is a goddamn amazing setpiece.

Buy dat game.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Far Cry 3
Awesome game. Definitely one of the best games of 2012.

Beat: Book of Legends
Wow, this was a lovely Hidden Object game. Extremely over-the-top voice action, pixel hunting to hit the right spot on the object and low, low resolution that makes everything blend together.

Beat: Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can
An OK Hidden Object game from the people who also did the Midnight Mysteries series. Not as good as those, though.

Nulled: Civilization IV + Colonization, Warlords and Beyond the Sword
I got 7 hours out of Civ4 before drifting away from it, and I never got into the expansions. Then I got Civ5 gifted to me and everyone says it's way more accessible, so I'll give that a go instead.

Nulled: Dead Hungry Diner
Not really bad, but when I think casual, I also think relaxing, and this game quickly ends up frantic and frustrating. I would also imagine playing it on a tablet would be easier.

Nulled: EYE Divine Cybermancy
Lost interest due to it being to weird and janky for my taste.

Nulled: Shattered Horizon
Multiplayer and SP with bots. Pretty, but in the end a bit boring.

Nulled: SPAZ - Space Pirates and Zombies
I got a good 4 hours out of it before losing interest and hearing that it ends up being a grind-fest later on sealed its fate.

Nulled: Triple Town
It seemed like my kind of casual game, but it just never clicked. I can't really explain why, as the graphics and gametype screams "Relax and have fun."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fart of Presto posted:

Nulled: Civilization IV + Colonization, Warlords and Beyond the Sword
I got 7 hours out of Civ4 before drifting away from it, and I never got into the expansions. Then I got Civ5 gifted to me and everyone says it's way more accessible, so I'll give that a go instead.

Wait, you played vanilla Civ4? Nonononono! Beyond the Sword is one of the greatest expansion packs ever created and includes awesome mods and original scenarios that really enhance the game.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

al-azad posted:

Wait, you played vanilla Civ4? Nonononono! Beyond the Sword is one of the greatest expansion packs ever created and includes awesome mods and original scenarios that really enhance the game.

Yeah, Beyond the Sword is the "real" one, much as Gods & Kings is the "real" Civ V, but (a) Civ games should start out as "NULL" anyway and (b) Civ V is likely to be more accessible, yes. I needed a coach for BTS.

(Rekindling a Super Hexagon obsession while playing a gigantic open-world RPG does not do wonderful things for the backlog progress, so I don't have much to say on that front just now)

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Playing - The Ball : My backlog is huge. No idea why I installed this, but it's OK so far. Not great. Not bad. Physics based first person puzzle type of thing. Like Portal's not nearly as talented and kinda underachieving cousin.

It's not terrible but it really doesn't change much at all for the whole game and the puzzles just get more and more laborious as the complexity rises.

Personally I put it in the hell bin and never looked back.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

YOURFRIEND posted:

Give me your steam ID. I'll get you Bulletstorm. Tell me how you feel about it at the end.

Sometime in December 2011, SA user "YOURFRIEND" was doing his best to convince people that Bulletstorm was fun but the ending ruined it for him. He later challenged a goon to post their steam ID so he could gift it to them. Me, being the resourceful fucker I am, jumped for it after a page of silence from the person he challenged (Edit: I spent the past 20 minutes looking for that post. :spergin:)

It took me a year because my computer at the time was loving awful but once I got a new rig in December to run it I've been casually playing it and just today beat it.

I do like the idea of using environments and "skillshots" to get points that gets you ammo and stuff but I also felt a bit limited because just plain "shooting" was the least lucrative thing most of the time. It sort of felt like the game was more of an obstacle course than a straight shooter, but that's not really a complaint since this game means to subvert normal FPS gameplay, which it did, and rather decently. The setpieces were nice, and some of the carnage you can wreak made me nod my head in :mmmhmm: satisfaction. The ending was annoying and a bit of a let down, but like most games that have Steve Blum as a smug lead, I certainly didn't give a rats rear end about the story.

The game had some flaws, but I certainly would recommend it because it looks nice, plays nice, and was cheap a year ago, so I'm sure it will come cheaper soon.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

"Beat" The Cave - This game is built for multiple play-throughs, so I still have three or four more to go before I've seen everything. After the first time though, subsequent play-throughs become quicker, so I don't see it taking too much more effort. It has great graphics, challenging puzzles, and a good story with a great sense of humor. This is the first game I've played at launch in a long time, and I'm glad I made the decision to do so.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Gatling Gears
A fun and very pretty steampunk mecha shmup that I had a lot of fun playing through this afternoon.

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!
Beat: Star Wolves this could easily be called "Homeworld: Mercenaries" with a lot of RPG elements (character classes, skill trees, spells. shops to buy upgrades, etc). Game is not new and clearly aged, but it was quite a lot of fun. The graphics are good enough, nothing to write home about. Music is ok (the standard heavy metal/trance/ambient mix of scifi games). Game play is very similar to Homeworld, replacing huge armadas with a team of up to 7 ships (mother ship + 6 fighters), the addition of the "smart pause" and removal of standard resource collection/unit building of RTS.

I truly loved this game, which leads me to:

Screw all other scifi games on my list and Playing: Star Wolves 2

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

For now it looks like I'll have to null Lara Croft & The Guardians of Light because I have this annoying bug where the bottom left of my left analog stick is a complete deadzone, where my characters will stop in their tracks. This has been a bug that's been known and experienced by others months ago and still not fixed (I installed the game hours ago). Until this is fixed, I can't play this game because I refuse to play a twin stick shooter without...well...twinsticks! :(

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Got through a handful of games in the last few weeks! Making good progress on my backlog.

Bioshock 2
I actually enjoyed this a lot. The shooting could've been tighter, but the combat was fun. Lots of preparing defenses and hacking security bots, which I enjoyed. The story was, I thought, pretty good and the ending was sort of sweet. I liked the characters, however briefly they appeared. The atmosphere was great, like the first game.

Deus Ex
This was a replay, but I played it with Shifter, Biomod, and the hi-res texture pack. It's been a few years since I've played it but man, what an amazing game. It still stands as my favorite game ever. Really hope it gets an HD makeover one day, maybe in the Unreal 4 engine.

Hell Yeah!
I didn't complete this one, but I gave it my standard of at least 2 hours and it just didn't grab me. The art and the humor reminded me of Earthworm Jim, but unfortunately so did the gameplay.

Mass Effect
Another replay, this time just to clear it off my Steam list. I rushed through a lot and didn't save Wrex, so I'm basically a monster. But I just had to buy it again on Steam so I thought I deserved another play through.

Rochard
I put in my two hours and I've heard such good things about it but it really wasn't for me. I'm sure I don't have much to go, but if I'm not having any fun I'm not going to bother.

Saint's Row: The Third
This game was a loving blast. There were some technical issues, like slow down and some jankiness with the combat, but overall it was a very fun, funny game with good characters. So many moments where I just could not believe what I was playing. I didn't 100% it but I honestly never do that, especially with open world titles. It was a great ride, but not that great. Excited for SR4.

That's it for this post - I brought my total number of games that need to be beaten down to a whopping 293 (on Steam only... doesn't include the 88 games I own on GOG and the dozen or so I own on Origin... but I'll get to those eventually!). I've got a list 37 that I must play RIGHT NOW prioritized out. Should be a blast!

The Machine fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 28, 2013

clamcake
Dec 24, 2012

americanzero4128 posted:

You found all the figments? Jesus. I tried doing that and stopped after the second brain.

Yeah. I found a guide online that lists every drat figment and their locations. It made things easier, but I still regret taking the time to hunt them down.

al-azad posted:

I'd say go with Spec-Ops. I beat it in an afternoon and I haven't done that with a major release in a decade. I didn't even like the game that much but the general consensus seems to be "you'll probably hate it but won't stop playing until it's done."

I did choose Spec Ops after all. Mostly because it's so short. Played through it in one night and felt like a monster the entire time. I thought it was an engaging story with very nice visuals (loved the graffiti in particular), but I'm glad I picked it up on sale. Any game I can beat in less than five hours should be a game I pay less than five dollars for.

Beat The Whispered World tonight. Despite the great visuals and soundtrack, I found it to be a painful experience. You know how every adventure game has one of "those puzzles"? I felt that half of this game is composed by those puzzles.

Beat The Path. I realize it's supposed to be an art game, so whatever. It's open to a wide range of interpretation, but I'd personally characterize it as hours of boredom punctuated by brief moments of bizarre horror.

I also blasted through and beat Ultima I and A New Beginning on GOG and Rogue Warrior and Shank 2 on steam. But none of them really merit any comments.

After clearing away 16 short games this month, I feel like I need a break from gaming. Or a huge timesink like Morrowind of Skyrim.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

nipplefish posted:

Beat The Whispered World tonight. Despite the great visuals and soundtrack, I found it to be a painful experience. You know how every adventure game has one of "those puzzles"? I felt that half of this game is composed by those puzzles.
That's unfortunate, I'm glad I've passed this one up. I have so little patience for obtuse puzzles in adventure games anymore.

I'm playing Edna and Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes, and I'm really loving the unique design and twist on standard adventure game characters, but I've already run into a puzzle or two that made me impatient. I'm still really early in, but other than that the other puzzles seem mostly logical and fun.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

That's unfortunate, I'm glad I've passed this one up. I have so little patience for obtuse puzzles in adventure games anymore.

I'm playing Edna and Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes, and I'm really loving the unique design and twist on standard adventure game characters, but I've already run into a puzzle or two that made me impatient. I'm still really early in, but other than that the other puzzles seem mostly logical and fun.

For people playing Daedalic's adventure games (Deponia, Whispered World, etc.), you can press (space I think) to view all interactive highlights. I went through Whispered World without knowing this, and I don't think they ever actually tell you this in any game, but knowing it has made their games much more enjoyable. There's still some dumb bullshit (Whispered World's stupid chess logic puzzle, I hate logic puzzles MACHINARIUM!) and puzzles that require pop culture references (chopsticks to grab a fly) but knowing what you can interact with makes it a lot more bearable.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
I ticked over 1,000 games some time recently so I suppose I'm qualified to post here. I'm an achievement hunter, so 'completing' games can be quite a bit harder or grindier. I don't like to boost achievements, but I do like doing the fun co-op stuff, so add me if you want to do fun stuff too :) http://steamcommunity.com/id/lavatein . I'm especially looking to wrap up Half Minute Hero soon, which has an achievement for playing with 3 friends.

This week I've 100% completed:

Hotline Miami - Very fun game I got as a Christmas gift. The 'Perform every ground execution' achievement is a bit buggy apparently, because I had to do them all about three times before it would register. Right now it's sitting at 97% complete because the 'Get every achievement' achievement is the only thing left. I don't know if this is bugged or if it's some kind of meta joke, but there's nothing I can do about it. Presumably when/if it gets fixed I'll just need to load the game once to get it, so I'm considering this complete.

Adam's Venture Episode 1, 2 & 3 - Three pretty bad games! They're just really boring, bad puzzles, strained dialogue etc. Mercifully each episode is just under 2 hours and the achievements are all pretty easy.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Finished Runaway: A Road Adventure - a traditional point and click adventure with an annoying main character, crazy story and inventory-based puzzles ranging from logic to irrational, with lots of pixel hunting. I got it as part of the Pendulo adventure pack that was real cheap on Steam, but I can't recommend it. I will eventually beat its sequels, but unless you have run out of adventure games to play, ignore this game.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Finished Runaway: A Road Adventure - a traditional point and click adventure with an annoying main character, crazy story and inventory-based puzzles ranging from logic to irrational, with lots of pixel hunting. I got it as part of the Pendulo adventure pack that was real cheap on Steam, but I can't recommend it. I will eventually beat its sequels, but unless you have run out of adventure games to play, ignore this game.
The lipstick puzzle is one of those puzzles that makes you want to quit adventure games forever. Holy poo poo that one was ridiculous. It does have some decent art though, colorful and unique looking 2D adventure games are still a weakness of mine.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
English Country Tune (Steam) - Came heavily recommended during all of the recent Steam sales and I can see why. It's a spatial puzzler with very simplistic design, allowing you to focus on the challenging levels. The rules are easy, it's never hard to understand what you're supposed to do. The 'how' is the problem. Some of the puzzles are fiendishly difficult, especially the ones that look neatly cut out at first. After some playing it's obvious that a lot of thought has gone into the level design. Game is seperated into different worlds/modes, each of which come with their own goals and rules to keep things fresh. Obviously the game gets harder as it goes on, to the point where upon loading a new level I'd sometimes have to take in a deep sigh before I got to work. But the payoff is great - finishing these complicated challenges feels so rewarding. I'm almost proud I beat this game. It's hard! It's smart! It's grandios! Get it!

New Game:
Hotline Miami (gently caress yeah, I've been waiting for this).

Still playing:
Demon's Souls
The Secret World
Europa Univeralis III

Entenzahn fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 30, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Welp I beat Ridge Racer Unbounded and what a bunch of bullshit that was. When Namco finally farted that game out to no fanfare I jumped all over them for just kinda disrespecting the game. Now that I've played it...I can understand why. I don't know if Namco or Bugbear is to blame or the fact that this game is the result of a Finnish company working with a Japanese studio on one of their IPs but what a mangled mess.

I could go into detail but basically the racing is a mess, the graphics are full of post-processing crap that makes it impossible to see at times, the cars are samey, the environments are samey, the tracks are repetitive and it just feels like there was no thought put into anything. Unlike Split/Second where there was actual strategy to the destruction here it's just plow straight ahead into everything and hope for the best. The AI drivers are dumb as poo poo and never use their powers for shortcuts so it feels really hallow.

And then there's the story. Good lord who thought this was a good idea. So you're one of the "Unbounded" a society of racing anarchists out to destroy the world. You all wear black trench coats and listen to dubstep and fight the man by destroying coffee shops and malls and, uh, parking garages and...mausoleums...it's stupid. It's so painfully stupid that I feel bad for anyone that had to spend time building a racing game around this teenage angst bullshit. Thankfully there are no cutscenes but every so often you get weird poo poo in the loading screens that just kinda hammers home how amateurish it all is:

:what:

There are a bunch of race types but half of them feel fundamentally broken. There's racing with and without destruction which is generally fine save for the occasional physics freakout on debris, something that Bugbear apparently still can't get right. Then there are modes where you have unlimited energy to smash as many cop cars as possible. This is sometimes fine, sometimes broken as the game seems to forget to spawn more cars for you to smash sometimes and other times you "infinite" energy meter doesn't refill. And then there are time attack modes where you play in TrackMania style wacky courses built inside of the city but they're a goddamn mess. The car physics are just not made for this sort of mode and it feels like nobody even attempted to balance it as it's just a glitchy, sloppy mess. What a waste.

I liked the FlatOut games. They were goofy and fun arcadey smash-em-ups and I know both Bugbear and Namco can make fun racing games. I really don't know what happened here but almost everything about Ridge Racer Unbounded feels like a missed opportunity or a completely terrible idea to begin with.

Ugh I've played a lot of disappointing games recently.

Iviv
May 2, 2010
Is this the right place to post for help with the steam2backloggery tool? Been wanting a way to focus myself on working through my embarrassing list of uncompleted games, and this seemed to be the perfect way. However, when I try and run the tool to sync my library I get the following error:

C:\steamtools>steam2backloggery.exe
Steam location (drag-and drop steam.exe): h:\steam\steam.exe
Found Steam account STEAM_0:1:6233620 (iviv66)

Backloggery username: iviv
Backloggery password: **********
Logged in to Backloggery as iviv.

Loading Steam game lists: games

An error occurred! Please report this to the developer.
.\xml\xml.lua:167: XMLDecl not at start of document [char=1]

stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'error'
.\xml\xml.lua:167: in function 'errorHandler'
.\xml\xml.lua:387: in function '_err'
.\xml\xml.lua:216: in function 'parse'
.\libsteam\games.lua:12: in function 'downloader'
.\libsteam\games.lua:52: in function 'download'
.\libsteam\games.lua:65: in function 'games'
.\steam2backloggery.lua:32: in function 'steamgames'
.\steam2backloggery.lua:170: in function <.\steam2backloggery.lua:155>
(tail call): ?
[C]: in function 'xpcall'
.\util\misc.lua:8: in function 'va_xpcall'
.\app.lua:16: in function 'main'
.\steam2backloggery.lua:196: in main chunk
[C]: in function 'require'
[string "main.lua"]:1: in main chunk

Press enter to quit...

I'm running windows 8 x64, if that matters. And if this isn't the best place to submit the error report, could someone point me the right way? Thanks!

Edit: Fixed it! I had downloaded steam2backloggery through the link in the first post. Saw that it was the xml.lua file throwing up the errors, so redownloaded that file directly from github and the tool has worked. I'll keep this post here in case there are other people who experience this issue though.

Iviv fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 30, 2013

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Beat Far Cry 3.

Definitely a contender for 2012 GOTY. If you enjoyed FC2 despite its flaws like I did, then FC3 is the game that you hoped somebody could mod FC2 into. A must-play meaty FPS that you don't see often. Ending spoilers I was hoping for more of a super duper infiltration/mass slaughter hit on Hoyt but the way it was handled was actually sort of cool, I even liked the QTE parts. I went home with my friends because it seemed somewhat reminiscent of the Spec Ops ending where your guy has become a total nut and my opinion is that its plausible and preferable to attempt to heal than stay in delusions. I then watched the Citra option and was glad I chose my friends because gently caress, that would have been strange and unfulfilling.

Buy it, it's good.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Completed - The Darkness 2
I realize how annoying and frustrating it was to play this game (and other shooters) on the console once I blazed through this on the PC. In 2 days I did 2 playthroughs, the 2nd being NG+ on top of the highest difficulty. Through this I got every single collectible and achievement, and enjoyed the shooting experience pretty much completely. I won't rant and rave about it but it was certainly one of the most enjoyable FPS's I've played because each use of power and most of the weapons are smooth and fun. I recently beat Bulletstorm, and while the execution of gunplay was great, I was way too preoccupied with skillshots and level hazards, making it feel more like an obstacle course than anything. But The Darkness 2 has a good mix of intensity and yet cathartic FPS carnage that I feel bad that I have to put it down. I might occasionally play through some random vendetta missions when I wanna get my Shoshanna :jewish: on.

Either way, it's a fun game. If you picked it up cheap it's definitely worth a playthrough or three. (Also, :love: Mike Patton)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I too beat Far Cry 3 and, while I loved the journey, it is a game with several flaws that in a year packed with so many quality titles I don't see what the big deal was when it was getting GOTY awards from the likes of RPS or 10/10 scores from Eurogamer, among others. The writing was hilarious inefficient through most of the game and, aside that "it feels like winning" conversation with Daisy, it was pack full of little face-palm bits. The best character in the whole thing, Vaas, rarely stayed around. The ending was the worst ham-fisted poo poo probably ever done in a videogame and comparing it in any way to Spec Ops is insulting.

The locations, the villagers, the enemies, the attack animations, they all felt so bloody repetitive after a while and, in fact, I would say FC3 blows its load on the first few hours with the problem that the game is about 20 hours longer or more and you just keep going through the motions. It either needed more polish or a large cut. Still, it was fun. No denying it. Shotgunning sharks, snipping tiger cages to unleash them on pirates, driving vehicles against the natives' own patrols to see them blow up, torching up entire areas of vegetation, blowing up enemies with C4's, or just hang glide all over the isle for minutes at hand to relax. Fun. Can't ask for more.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Saoshyant posted:

I too beat Far Cry 3 and, while I loved the journey, it is a game with several flaws that in a year packed with so many quality titles I don't see what the big deal was when it was getting GOTY awards from the likes of RPS or 10/10 scores from Eurogamer, among others.
Still, it was fun. No denying it. Shotgunning sharks, snipping tiger cages to unleash them on pirates, driving vehicles against the natives' own patrols to see them blow up, torching up entire areas of vegetation, blowing up enemies with C4's, or just hang glide all over the isle for minutes at hand to relax. Fun. Can't ask for more.

Yeah I agree with you, it was certainly fun but it wasn't GOTY. I'd say it's worth <$30. The game gives you the tools to make a lot of gently caress YEAH! moments for yourself; but falls short beyond that. It's kind of painful because it felt like I was playing a skeleton of what could have been a really loving good timeless game.

As you said, it really did blow it's load pretty early on. Side-quests could have really used a Borderlands 2 treatment, exp should have been harder to encourage exploring more, skills were mostly meh or only useful in a few situations in which they could have just had you been able to do it by default (aka shooting from a zipline) and could have been done a lot more interestingly, crafting could have had more depth and not been hilariously easy (I crafted 4/5ths of everything I wanted before I even beat 3 story missions), enemy density could have been higher, and story could have used some work. Something that would have fit the game perfectly would have been Frostbite-2 style destruction, ala BC2, with fire really scouring the land and being able to blow up huts with whatever would have been awesome. I was disappointed how static everything was, especially compared to FC2.

Edit: For my own recent conquest I finally beat Alpha Protocol. Surprisingly didn't take that long but it was a lot of fun and I'm sad I didn't play it sooner. There's definitely some jank (like not being able to prematurely end Chainshot :argh:!) but it was really cool what they accomplished. Hopefully someday Obsidian will able to make a proper sequel. I won't be able to start a new game for awhile now due to grad school but it was a good game to end my winter break on.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 31, 2013

Iviv
May 2, 2010
Well, to actually contribute, I'm currently playing:

NiGHTS into Dreams
Because despite loving the original back on the Saturn so much, I regret that I never managed to finish it :(

Its a game I can just jump into super quickly and play for a few minutes, if that's all the time I have. Nothing particularly complex, just tile matching, but its still good fun.

Iviv fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 31, 2013

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Saoshyant posted:

The ending was the worst ham-fisted poo poo probably ever done in a videogame and comparing it in any way to Spec Ops is insulting.

Relax, bud, nobody ever said it was as good as Spec Ops or even close (I agree, it was not a good ending). Just that the thought process behind the decision was similar.

Your other criticisms are valid but I guess I don't mind too much. I'm also a person who enjoyed clearing out the same areas twenty times in Far Cry 2 so ymmv.

Turada
Jun 17, 2006

On a mission from God
I bought a bunch of stuff in the sale, and some indie packs. In the past couple of weeks I've beat...

Shank 2: Felt pretty much the same as the first one, which was alright, but short. Didn't try the MP.

Rochard: Don't get the hype for this at all. I love platformers but this never clicked at all.

Dungeon Defenders: Finally cleared the campaign for this one. I played a bit with some friends in Co-Op ages ago but never fully got into it and it was a slog in single player.

WH40K & Winter Assault: The style is new to me, as opposed to C&C/SC2/WC3 that I'm used to for the genre. The campaign was alright on Normal but sometimes dragged on. I turned the sound off because I can't stand Orc voices.

Ys Origin: My favourite so far. I beat it on Normal with Yunica. I almost gave up right at the start, but it turned out I was just a bit underlevelled and hadn't upgraded my weapon. I'm looking forward to a second playthrough in a bit when I've worked through some other stuff.

Currently playing:

The campaign setup for Dark Crusade seems cool. I really don't like Serious Sam 2 which may well be because I'm terrible at it. I died at least twenty times trying to beat the wave of enemies before you get into the prison. Darwinia is really slow and I don't know if I'll get any further.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Beat Retro City Rampage and...eh. It seems like a really well made game but it's just not all that fun and the writing and humor are absolutely dreadful. References aren't loving jokes and this game just throws them at you non-stop in the most ham fisted way possible.

Oh you didn't get it the first time? This part is like Frogger! There's a frog smashed on the street! Oh wait now Player sees it and reacts. Get it yet?? No wait now Player says "I HOPE I DON'T END UP LIKE THAT FROG!!" Get it now??? I'm just going to CRAM THESE GODDAMN REFERENCES DOWN YOUR THROAT UNTIL YOU CHOKE AUGH REMEMBER DARK KNIGHT AND BACK TO THE FUTURE WELL THE CREATOR SURE DOES

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Help, sales keep happening and now I have hundreds of games and feel awful because who needs this many games. What are some of your strategies for tackling your massive backlog of games? What's a good way to start? :(

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Start with the quicker games to beat, stuff like Shank which is three hours long. Then pick a long lasting game. Then go back to beat quicker ones. Repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I made a google spread sheet of all of the games I haven't completed yet and highlighted the ones I want to play RIGHT NOW and I just started playing through them. I'll get to the stuff I don't feel like playing later on. With games I don't enjoy, I play them a minimum of 2 hours and move on.