Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I kinda wish Brad Pitt wasn't so attractive, because he's an amazing character actor. But since he's he looks like a leading man he has a bunch of boring leading man type roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Only a guy would say this, ever hear of A River Runs Through It? Girls knew about Brad Pitt way before Se7en came out.

I may have exaggerated some, but it doesn't change the fact the Interview With a Vampire helped catapult him to stardom. Also, I was told that it was his first major role by my best friend, who is a girl. A cursory glance at his IMDB page seemed to support that fact. I generally don't pay attention to the careers of celebrities and had previous assumed that 7 Years in Tibet and Twelve Monkeys predated Interview, which I didn't see until 2004.

edit: ^I really like him in 12 Monkeys for this reason. Spy Game is another one of my favorites, because he shares the spotlight with Robert Redford (who he looks just like).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skwirl posted:

I kinda wish Brad Pitt wasn't so attractive, because he's an amazing character actor. But since he's he looks like a leading man he has a bunch of boring leading man type roles.

I wish he had gone the Adrien Brody route.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Snak posted:

I may have exaggerated some, but it doesn't change the fact the Interview With a Vampire helped catapult him to stardom. Also, I was told that it was his first major role by my best friend, who is a girl. A cursory glance at his IMDB page seemed to support that fact. I generally don't pay attention to the careers of celebrities and had previous assumed that 7 Years in Tibet and Twelve Monkeys predated Interview, which I didn't see until 2004.

edit: ^I really like him in 12 Monkeys for this reason. Spy Game is another one of my favorites, because he shares the spotlight with Robert Redford (who he looks just like).

I still find it hilarious that Brad Pitt and David Thewlis are banned from China. Also Interview was Kristian Dunst breakthrough role.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

I still find it hilarious that Brad Pitt and David Thewlis are banned from China. Also Interview was Kristian Dunst breakthrough role.

The thing that sticks in my mind most about interview is Antonio Banderas's bizarre whiteface.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm watching T2 for the millionth time and something occurred to me. The first scene in which you see Arnold, he seems like a bad guy. Then the T-1000 comes along as a cop looking for John Connor and could easily be seen as a good guy. All we're told at this point is that the machines sent back an assassin and the human resistance sent a protector, but we don't really know which is which.

Did the audience in 1991 know going into the movie that Arnold was the good guy in this one? If they managed to keep it a secret then that must have been a pretty awesome reveal.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ehud posted:

I'm watching T2 for the millionth time and something occurred to me. The first scene in which you see Arnold, he seems like a bad guy. Then the T-1000 comes along as a cop looking for John Connor and could easily be seen as a good guy. All we're told at this point is that the machines sent back an assassin and the human resistance sent a protector, but we don't really know which is which.

Did the audience in 1991 know going into the movie that Arnold was the good guy in this one? If they managed to keep it a secret then that must have been a pretty awesome reveal.

If this is the real one it completely destroys it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eajuMYNYtuY

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

bobkatt013 posted:

If this is the real one it completely destroys it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eajuMYNYtuY

We can all just pretend this is the real one.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TbcmLPXuQzo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

Spy Game is another one of my favorites, because he shares the spotlight with Robert Redford (who he looks just like).

I've always believed the "someone call for a doctor?" bit from Ocean's Eleven is a direct reference to the Pitt / Redford resemblance.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ehud posted:

I was 7 when the movie came out, and didn't see it for another 3 or four years, but in terms of cultural osmosis I knew Arnold was the good guy. Ninety percent of my Terminator knowledge came from this music video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlzptZ9wieQ

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
So can someone explain to me why Christina Ricci isn't in more films? I just saw Prozac Nation and loved her in it. I also loved her in Monster. She has this personality unlike any other actress I've ever seen before and it shines through onto the big screen.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Only a guy would say this, ever hear of A River Runs Through It? Girls knew about Brad Pitt way before Se7en came out.

Yea, upon seeing Thelma & Louise my mother knew he was going to be huge.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Zogo posted:

Yea, upon seeing Thelma & Louise my mother knew he was going to be huge.

Yet nobody said that after Cool World.

Probably because nobody went to see Cool World.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Glass Joe posted:

Yet nobody said that after Cool World.

Probably because nobody went to see Cool World.

Huh, for some reason I was thinking that was Val Kilmer.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Ehud posted:

I remember hearing numerous variations of "they're making a sequel to Terminator! In this one Arnold's the good guy!" in Jr High.

However I disagree with you in the diegesis as well. Arnold's first appearance has his nudity played for laughs and "Bad to the Bone" on the soundtrack during his bikering-up while Robert Patrick's first appearance drips with menace.

This actually came up in the Netflix thread recently but I had this argument a few months ago on this very forum and was apparently outnumbered but c'mon the entire vocabulary of those scenes makes it pretty obvious who the bad guy is. I think people are arguing for a reveal they wished occurred instead of one that's actually present. Or you're all retroactively applying the roses scene backwards to the previous running time.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I thought there was a thread for figuring out what films were called, but I couldn't find it so whatever, I'll post it here.

I was recommended a film whose title I don't remember but it went roughly like this: A man is emotionally destroyed for whatever reason, takes out a hit on himself with the condition that he not know when or where he's to be killed, finds out the thing that emotionally destroyed him didn't actually happen or didn't happen in the way and spends the rest of the film in an state of paranoia and hyper vigilance worried about the hit man. Anyone have any leads?

Second film: It's like the Crank version of Groundhog Day where time keeps resetting to this one point and these guys have a very limited amount of time but an effectively infinite number of attempts to turn off the machine that's resetting time. Once again, any ideas?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I thought there was a thread for figuring out what films were called, but I couldn't find it so whatever, I'll post it here.

I was recommended a film whose title I don't remember but it went roughly like this: A man is emotionally destroyed for whatever reason, takes out a hit on himself with the condition that he not know when or where he's to be killed, finds out the thing that emotionally destroyed him didn't actually happen or didn't happen in the way and spends the rest of the film in an state of paranoia and hyper vigilance worried about the hit man. Anyone have any leads?

Second film: It's like the Crank version of Groundhog Day where time keeps resetting to this one point and these guys have a very limited amount of time but an effectively infinite number of attempts to turn off the machine that's resetting time. Once again, any ideas?

The thread you're looking for.
The first movie might be The Odd Job or less likely I Hired a Contract Killer.

/The second might be Repeaters. Here are some action movies with time-loops.

westborn fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 28, 2013

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ehud posted:

I'm watching T2 for the millionth time and something occurred to me...

I watched it for the first time the other night with exactly this in mind. I'm not film savvy, but it looked to me like the movie was pushing for the Arnold = Baddie fairly hard. With retro-colored glasses at least. The cheesy/badass parts of Arnold's intro looked less cheesy 20 years ago, I bet. The spoilery marketing was probably segmented from the rest of the production, because it's clear they were aiming for ambiguity in the game of guess-the-bad-guy.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

westborn posted:

The thread you're looking for.
The first movie might be The Odd Job or less likely I Hired a Contract Killer.

/The second might be Repeaters. Here are some action movies with time-loops.

Thanks a bunch. I think I Hired A Contract Killer is the one I'm looking for.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Thanks a bunch. I think I Hired A Contract Killer is the one I'm looking for.

It... It seems the Quotes section of the IMDB page spoils the loving ending of the movie.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

asap-salafi posted:

So can someone explain to me why Christina Ricci isn't in more films? I just saw Prozac Nation and loved her in it. I also loved her in Monster. She has this personality unlike any other actress I've ever seen before and it shines through onto the big screen.

She was recently in Bucky Larson, and has a voice in the upcoming Smurfs film. What more do you want?

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

I started keeping an eye on him after seeing Johnny Suede. He was awesome in that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

asap-salafi posted:

She was great in The Opposite Of Sex and seemed to have Ellen Page's career a few years before she did, though not to the same success. I'd generally poor film choices hasn't helped (For a more tragic example - and terrible parenting - see Thora Birch). Though I have some issues with the film she was great in Black Snake Moan, as was Samuel L Jackson.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
She was recently starring in failed network Mad Men knockoff Pan Am.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

She was great in The Opposite Of Sex and seemed to have Ellen Page's career a few years before she did, though not to the same success. I'd generally poor film choices hasn't helped (For a more tragic example - and terrible parenting - see Thora Birch). Though I have some issues with the film she was great in Black Snake Moan, as was Samuel L Jackson.

I thought with Thora Birch the terrible movie choices was due to terrible parenting since her creppy dad is her manager and causes for her to be passed over for roles.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought with Thora Birch the terrible movie choices was due to terrible parenting since her creppy dad is her manager and causes for her to be passed over for roles.

Basically yeah. She's even had to back out of doing a few plays because her father insists on following her wherever she goes and generally being really creepy. Looking at her IMDB page is basically like gazing into sadness.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 28, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This is getting into US Weekly territory, but Christina Ricci kinda retreated from the public eye for a while because she was struggling with an eating disorder.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

DrVenkman posted:

Basically yeah. She's even had to back out of doing a few plays because her father insists on following her wherever she goes and generally being really creepy.

Like being way too involved/interested in his daughter's sex scenes. Michael Madsen said he won't even watch movies where Virginia Madsen appears nude. When Michael Madsen has more class than you, it's time to go home.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
She lost too much weight and got weird looking.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I've been reading some about how Kubrick was fairly demanding in the marketing of The Shining. For example he had Saul Bass create roughly 300 versions of the poster to get it right and the trailer for the film is the full scene of the blood pouring from the elevators.

My question is whether or not it is common for directors to play that big of a part in the marketing and if there are any other famous examples?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

foodfight posted:

I've been reading some about how Kubrick was fairly demanding in the marketing of The Shining. For example he had Saul Bass create roughly 300 versions of the poster to get it right and the trailer for the film is the full scene of the blood pouring from the elevators.

My question is whether or not it is common for directors to play that big of a part in the marketing and if there are any other famous examples?

Well, a recent negative example is Andrew Stanton's work on John Carter's enigmatic ad campaign which was a big part of its box office failure.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

foodfight posted:

I'm pretty sure George Lucas had to give written approval on all toys created from the movies and whatnot. In addition, he also made drat sure that every critter that ever appeared on the screen had a name, a back story, and a collectible figure.

I think he's the king of what you are looking for.

EDIT:VVVV Ah, related, but not quite the same. My bad.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 28, 2013

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Not that you're wrong, but you're describing "merchandising", not marketing.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

I'd go further back than that - Thelma & Louise.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

wyoming posted:

Huh, for some reason I was thinking that was Val Kilmer.

It was both of them!

foodfight posted:

I think Fincher gets pretty involved in marketing. That Dragon Tattoo teaser definitely seemed like something he had a personal hand in.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

DNS posted:

I think Fincher gets pretty involved in marketing. That Dragon Tattoo teaser definitely seemed like something he had a personal hand in.

I've noticed certain directors consistently have well-edited trailers that match the tone of their films. David Fincher and Paul Thomas Anderson are the best examples I can think of. Is it usually the result of filmmakers getting hands-on with trailers, or are the editors given guidelines to emphasize the name-power of the director?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rake Arms posted:

I've noticed certain directors consistently have well-edited trailers that match the tone of their films. David Fincher and Paul Thomas Anderson are the best examples I can think of. Is it usually the result of filmmakers getting hands-on with trailers, or are the editors given guidelines to emphasize the name-power of the director?

Generally you have to be a pretty big-hitting director to have any input into marketing. A distributor or sales agent is unlikely to put out a trailer a director hates. On the other hand, distributors (or a studio) have paid money for a film and want to sell it the way they see fit. A director is not always best placed to understand how a film should be marketed and positioned. Mostly I think directors are consulted but the distributor does what they feel they need to do. Certain directors (Woody Allen for example) will demand and receive approval over certain materials though. Fincher and PTA can probably get it if they want it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

On the extra's for Dragon Tattoo (while recording ADR) Fincher is talking to Mara about the typeface used for the films title and says he requested several changes made to it, so he was pretty hands on even with things like that.

ImmovableSquid
May 1, 2011
Floss Finder
Is there some cultural connection for Korean cinema and orphans/abused or abandoned children? I'm asking because I've seen four (good) movies from Korea recently and they all have orphans type characters in them. Usually they show up so someone can have a sympathetic moment, but sometimes they are used as part of a character arc of the predictable kind (icy hearted character warms to child, yadda yadda yadda)

One orphan in a movie is heart warming, in two movies it's coincidence and in three or more, enemy action! Or Korean film makers speaking to a shared culture of childhood abandonment and/or abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

foodfight posted:

Kubrick had a pretty special relationship with the studio he did most of his pictures with. Was it MGM? He had a special contract, anyway. They say no other director would have been able to withdraw a film from distribution like he did with Clockwork Orange. He was able to get this contract because the studios recognized how good he was at marketing, making big-budget yet commercially successful auteur films, etc. I imagine he was able to get equal control in later studio contracts if this particular one ended. My source is half-remembered interviews from Kubrick: A Life in Pictures.