Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

As I talked about the P3P LP thread, Ken tries to do more roles than he has any business doing. He tries to be the Paladin archetype, using healing, Zio, Hama and attacking spells in order to be a good supporter to the team.

The problem? His Magic's outdone by Yukari, so in terms of healing, you may lean to her. When it comes to flinging Zios and Physicals? Akihiko has you covered, AND he has all forms of debuffs, too! So really, if you want a dude who can use Light, there's Ken. He can do that. (And then in the sequel game, a woman with both Light, Dark, and all sorts of tools shows up and does Good Things).

I guess there's one thing he doesn't lose in - In Japan, he's voiced by Shinji Ikari. v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm just glad that no matter how people feel about the game, everyone can get together and hate Ken. I think I might've tried him once to see how he fought, but then I realized I had no obligation to level him up, so I put him on the bench permanently.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Hey hey hey. There's still half the cast of Persona 1. I mean I dislike Ken, but I mean he at least had a personality.

Never played P1, but not having a personality is still better than Ken.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Ken is a bore, but if you need a healer, he bets Yukari.

Still, every single P1 character is miles ahead of him in every single way.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Ehhhh, as much as I disliked Yukari (and I really disliked her during my original runs of the game), I'd take her over Ken any day. gently caress that kid.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Momomo posted:

Never played P1, but not having a personality is still better than Ken.

Don't play P1. All the interesting characters from P1 made it into Either P2.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Don't play P1. All the interesting characters from P1 made it into Either P2.

Don't listen to this person. Persona 1 is a great game and everyone should play it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ken is the reason Shinjiro is dead, gently caress that kid to the ends of the Earth.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Ken is the reason Shinjiro is dead, gently caress that kid to the ends of the Earth.

The one true reason to hate Ken. Benched that little fucker there and then.

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah uh

Shadows in 4 are incredibly easy to get the drop on. The lag between them seeing you and responding to you is such that, even if they're looking straight at you, you have enough time to dash past them and pivot for the advantage strike.

This is only the case if you're stronger than them. If you're lower level than them, the shadows are bigger and faster. It's really only a problem in the first dungeon or so though, unless you're running past every enemy.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

This Persona 3 praise is kind of blowing my mind.

Persona 3 had awful, awful pacing issues for pretty much the entire game. Not only did you have constant long stretches of nothing happening (because of the strict adherence to the Full Moon model of things happening) punctuated by dungeon trips with little motivation, you have a long period of doing nothing following Ikutski's shebang that was far worse than the small interim between Void Quest and Secret Base. Persona 4 gave you a reason to be doing these dungeons. Persona 3 felt like mindless grinding the whole way through.

Well yeah, but if you play it before 4 like I'm doing, it's pretty great for being the first game I've played like this. :ssh:

I mean, I'm sure the team in 4 is infinity better, but I like Akihiko, I like Yukari, I guess I maybe like Junpei, and man, come the gently caress on, a talking dog who runs around with a knife in his mouth, and a combat robot.

As for combat, maybe it's due to me playing it emulated, or maybe it's just due to starting on FES, but I've had no problem with the AI. If anything, my team AI is too drat good, and will CClock enemies weak to their magic down before I've even identified what kind of weakness they have. Most fights begin and end with Akihiko/Yukari hitting all 3-4 enemies with either Zio or Garu due to one more turn, then doing an all out attack. The only issues I have with them is they'll double down on Dia before doing a killing blow, and the Junpei AI is uh, not very good, as he'll sometimes zone out and spam Agi on things that get healed by fire.

Trademarked
Aug 26, 2006

Well, fancy that.

Rookersh posted:

the Junpei AI is uh, not very good, as he'll sometimes zone out and spam Agi on things that get healed by fire.

Sounds like the AI is perfect for Junpei :haw:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rookersh posted:

a talking dog who runs around with a knife in his mouth, and a combat robot.

Koromaru doesn't talk

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Aigis is the second worst character in the game and Koromaru does nothing interesting other than being a dog who can use a Persona and does one important thing in the whole game. P3's cast by and far is mediocre and just follows anime tropes. P4 was kind of different at firs then P4A came out and they got their own robot, so it's more of the same again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Aigis is the second worst character in the game and Koromaru does nothing interesting other than being a dog who can use a Persona and does one important thing in the whole game. P3's cast by and far is mediocre and just follows anime tropes. P4 was kind of different at firs then P4A came out and they got their own robot, so it's more of the same again.

Woah woah woah, Labrys is loving awesome and I won't have anything bad said about her. She's had a hard enough life as is.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The party of Persona 4 isn't retrospectively worse off because they added another character in a spin off.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Sex_Ferguson posted:

And that's why I'm quite happy to pretend P4A doesn't exist.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bland posted:

The party of Persona 4 isn't retrospectively worse off because they added another character in a spin off.

That was more of a joke than anything else. The P4 cast is significantly better than P3's because most of the characters have something resembling a personality and their past isn't riddled with forced despair. I mean I've said I dislike Yosuke about a dozen times, but I'd take him over Akihiko any day of the week just because Yosuke gives some sort of a reaction.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm actually sort of OK with Aigis, though maybe it's more of a case of time healing wounds and just forgetting most of her characterization or lack thereof. Because I was fine with her in P4A. Labrys at least I liked from the start though.

E: I think what I'm getting at Re:Aigis is that Heartful Cry is a really good battle theme.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 27, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Way to miss like, 90% of the point of both of their character arcs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr Pepper posted:

Way to miss like, 90% of the point of both of their character arcs.

Ken's character arc is not worth paying attention to.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wait, people are counting Labrys for the P4 crew? Isn't she clearly from the P3 setting?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Wait, people are counting Labrys for the P4 crew? Isn't she clearly from the P3 setting?

She makes the biggest connections with Teddie and Yu, interacts with the P4 characters a lot on all of their routes, is put into Yasogami High School and the only people who have a connection with her before that are Aigis and Mitsuru, the former of which is just suddenly accepting of a sister and the latter just spends most of her time apologizing for how lovely the Kirijo group was to her. She's definitely part of the P4 group more than she would be the P3 group, especially since most of them only see her by the end of their route.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 27, 2013

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Labrys made me feel sad for the character.

Aigis, on the other hand, made me sad for myself for finishing her S-link.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

LightningKimba posted:

I guess there's one thing he doesn't lose in - In Japan, he's voiced by Shinji Ikari. v:v:v

Man you know if we actually got those voices I might even find that compelling, she's been one of my favourite voice actors ever since my Sailor Moon days.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cityinthesea posted:

Labrys made me feel sad for the character.

Aigis, on the other hand, made me sad for myself for finishing her S-link.

You mean you didn't enjoy that tender little moment? :shepface:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
The worst part is I knew something bad was coming and I did it anyway.

It's why I both want and do not want Labrys to be in P5, because I like the character but I also don't want to see how they make it creepy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One thing I really liked in Devil Survivor 2 is that it has S-Links but without any sort of romantic entanglement at all. Frankly I think the basic concept behind the FATE system made it a little more fun than S.Links, although some stuff for non-party members would have been cool too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Not to mention unlike, say P4 the stuff that happened in FATE events actually had a minor (and sometimes major) impact on other scenes.

S links occurring in a vacuum in p4 was such a loving bad decision and I have no clue how they could think that was a good idea, especially with a big emphasis on characters changing, since it just made most of the p4 cast stay the same throughout the game since their major character development was relegated to a vacuum that might as well not exist. (They barely changed after their midnight channel events personality wise but you got to see an almost completely different side of them in some s links)

P3 had the same issue but since persona evolution was plot related it wasn't as obvious since they had to go through a plot arc to get it, and the fact that you could only S. link the girls in the original.

Basically what I'm saying is ditch S links for p5 and just add a more robust FATE system, thanks ATLUS.

e: I doubt they'll ever remove the romance stuff though, too many people love the "waifu" aspect of p3 and p4, but if it actually changes dialogue in the main game and stuff I can deal with it.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 27, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Wow, I'm in the minority. I really enjoyed all the cast of P3 while the Investigation Team didn't do anything to me. I mean, they're fun and everything but I didn't feel a connection with them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The problem with the P3 cast is that they come off as basically colleagues rather than friends, who at best barely seem to tolerate each other. Then you have some of the most over the top depressing back stories for most of them that it becomes, well, hard to connect with them :v:

I've long despaired that finishing a S. Link or not had little to no impact on the story proper, but I do think P4 was a step of sorts in the right direction in that more of them were actually characters involved in the story in some way. And you could just have a friendship with the girls rather than being forced into a lovers relationship. Better than changing nothing, at least.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Wow, I'm in the minority. I really enjoyed all the cast of P3 while the Investigation Team didn't do anything to me. I mean, they're fun and everything but I didn't feel a connection with them.

Yeah, I feel the same way. They tried to develop the investigation team more, but I just plain did not like a single one of them. The P3 cast had badasses like Mitsuru, Akihiko and Shijiro. Also a dog. The dog helps.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
How could you not like Kanji?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

The problem with the P3 cast is that they come off as basically colleagues rather than friends, who at best barely seem to tolerate each other. Then you have some of the most over the top depressing back stories for most of them that it becomes, well, hard to connect with them :v:

Aren't they pretty much just colleagues though? That's the vibe i always got, at least. They weren't some SUPER FRIENDS like in P4, they were just people who worked towards the same goal mostly.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, while it fell flat in some parts I do like how in P3 it was obvious that most of the people were simply tolerating one another rather than being best friends forever, it was an interesting dynamic you don't see much in jrpgs. (it's usually only just one character at most)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Cityinthesea posted:

How could you not like Kanji?

He was probably the best character, but none of them really did it for me. It also didn't help that his design was atrocious. A 16 year old guy that looks like he's middle age. He's also apparently supposed to be really huge and buff, but ingame he's incredibly lanky.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Momomo posted:

He was probably the best character, but none of them really did it for me. It also didn't help that his design was atrocious. A 16 year old guy that looks like he's middle age. He's also apparently supposed to be really huge and buff, but ingame he's incredibly lanky.

Yeah, that's a problem I always had with Kanji too. I like the character a lot, but not only he is really old looking for a 16-year old, he's loving thin as hell and I'm supposed to believe he's this ultimate badass? Come on, he looked buffer in P4A. If they were gonna make him look older than he is, then they could've at least gone with his original design where he looked like a yakuza with a sweet pomp.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
I'm still on the side that thinks P4 had a way better cast then 3. The group dynamic was a lot more interesting and fun to watch, the fact that I could S-link the entire party instead of just a couple helped flesh it out a bit more, and I just found them all more likeable and interesting individuals then most of 3's cast, Shinji, Junpei, and maybe Akihiko aside.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Persona 3s cast is mostly comprised of archetypes rather than fully realized characters, and not one of them is a plausible teenager in terms of their behavior at all except Junpei.

The Persona 4 cast generally feel a lot more like believable people.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I actually think Fuuka and Yukari are relatively believable. Like yeah, Yukari acts very irrationally, but it's within reason (Until the Answer where she is loving crazy and awesome) and Fuuka in general is just a relatively withdrawn teenage girl. Shinjiro is also cool too even though he doesn't really act like a teenager either, although he's far more mature than anyone else in the cast so that's probably the reason. Adding Junpei, those four are the best characters P3 has that aren't S. Link only, everybody else is either terrible or bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I actually think Fuuka and Yukari are relatively believable. Like yeah, Yukari acts very irrationally, but it's within reason (Until the Answer where she is loving crazy and awesome) and Fuuka in general is just a relatively withdrawn teenage girl. Shinjiro is also cool too even though he doesn't really act like a teenager either, although he's far more mature than anyone else in the cast so that's probably the reason. Adding Junpei, those four are the best characters P3 has that aren't S. Link only, everybody else is either terrible or bland.

I don't see Akihiko or Mitsuru mentioned there, and they both own pretty hugely??