Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Can you get the lockboxes to show up on your map? Also is there a 15% triad xp set somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Yes, yes.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Thanks for the tips. I like that dating three women at once is actually referenced with Tiffany's "cheating" subplot. When I was following her I was asking "Why is this a surprise, and why do you care, Wei?" The fact that Tiffany called Wei out on that was good. Part of me wonders if it's possible to only date one (although it looks like Amanda is a required quest, and I think you can't do Not-Ping until after a date with Tiffany, so I guess not). On the other hand, having three girls makes Wei seem more like a player who doesn't care too much, making it slightly less likely that they'll be used as leverage against him later.
None of the dates proper are required, since they all are started by Wei calling the woman in question. The introductory missions with each woman, including Amanda, are main quests, but the game doesn't count them as dates. I like how Wei being a player comes up in the mission with Peggy, and it all really fits with his character. It'd be nice to see it be a little more fleshed out in the next game, though.

Cirofren posted:

They resist grapples but can't block. Just wail on them with your longest combo, that is to say, tap x a bunch. If you pick up a weapon throw it at them for an instant kill.
Yeah, I really wish I had figured out that throwing weapons was a thing earlier, it's wonderful, almost like an HD Hotline Miami :allears:

Davincie posted:

Can you get the lockboxes to show up on your map? Also is there a 15% triad xp set somewhere?
Each date lets something new show up on your map. As for the latter, You can probably find what each shop carries online somewhere, and every set that gives a bonus maxes out at 15%.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Davincie posted:

Yes to both.

Each collectable shows on the map after each date mission. The lockboxes are reasonably far down the plot/triad missions (green) and specifically after you meet then date Illyana on a mission for Sonny Wo.

The 15% triad set needs 7 face and you buy the pieces from different stores, they should be on the map.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Just bought this game off xbox live but holy gently caress is there a lot of DLC. What DLC is important, what DLC is stories, what DLC is good superficial crap, and what DLC is totally unnecessary?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Grem posted:

Just bought this game off xbox live but holy gently caress is there a lot of DLC. What DLC is important, what DLC is stories, what DLC is good superficial crap, and what DLC is totally unnecessary?

All Sleeping Dogs DLC falls into the latter category. Just enjoy the game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Grem posted:

Do you like playing dressup? If no then just get Nightmare in Northpoint if it's cheap. Skip on Zodiac Tournament until it's like $2. NiNP is good at like $5 or less.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Grem posted:

Pretty much the only thing that can screw you over by playing the game normally is Triad XP, and the Shaolin Showdown repeatable mission (from the Martial Arts Pack DLC) covers that. For Cop XP and Face XP, just remember that when doing Drug Busts, put on your Face XP-boosting clothing pieces for the fights and then when you're back at your apartment, put on the Cop XP-boosting clothing pieces before doing the CCTV portion.

Also, if you're willing to go out of your way to do so you can grab most of the Jade Statues as soon as they become available, but the difficulty doesn't ramp up so fast that you have to get them right away.

Jtomeo
Jan 10, 2003
I thought the drunk fighting style DLC was fun, it gives you some new combat tricks when you fill up your face meter (Wei chugs some liquor and now you can crush people with your rear end). I just wish you didn't have to wear a specific pre-set outfit to use it. But yeah, if you only get one, Nightmare in Northpoint is the best.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
The Face XP boosting stuff is accessories like sunglasses, chains, and watches, so you can wear it with other gear.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I'll put it this way -- you don't need any DLC until you finish the main story, and at that point you'll know which ones you want.

As far as Wei being a player, I felt like that was a result of his need to maintain emotional distance as a result of his undercover status.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Dross posted:

As far as Wei being a player, I felt like that was a result of his need to maintain emotional distance as a result of his undercover status.
Actually, from what he said during his mission with Peggy, it sounds like he's always been that kinda guy. Though the undercover position didn't help either.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, dude's just a slut. It's great that the Amanda "romance" implies he's the one being used for sex though. :v:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else have troubles with the radio being generally lovely and unresponsive? Playing PC now, butI had the same problems on 360 so I assume it's an issue with the code itself. Songs will almost always be "just starting" on stations, stations will stay silent for a long time, stations won't want to change. I was hoping that the PC version might have a fix for this? The radio is cool but if it takes the entire duration of my car ride to start working, it's pretty useless.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Just beat this game. Hot drat it was awesome. Definitely buying the sequel when it comes out. Nightmare looks pretty fun, but I'm not buying it at full price. Hopefully it'll go on sale in the future. Even without it, one of the best cinematic gaming experiences I've played, good on so many levels.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

I got this game in the recent Steam holiday sale but hadn't gotten around to playing it until the past week or so. I'm pretty far through the main story (just got Jackie out of a sandy coffin :ohdear: and have unlocked everything except for the last two Triad XP unlocks.

One thing I noticed about the races is that they are monumentally easier if you just bought the right vehicle for it. I was easily acing Class A car races in my Panzer but couldn't even finish in the top 3 in the Class B race Crippling Road. It wasn't until I bought a Terre GT that I finally won it—and I won the race very handily, easily outclassing every other car in the race within the first 10% of it. I could crash on every turn and come to a dead stop and still win it. I think that was a poor choice in racing design, or maybe it was a clever comment on how it's always the equipment and never the skill? For the record, I am loving awful at all GTA-style games' racing minigames.

Also, Sleeping Dogs is the one game whose glitches make me really wish I always had FRAPS running in my play times.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Light Gun Man posted:

Anyone else have troubles with the radio being generally lovely and unresponsive? Playing PC now, butI had the same problems on 360 so I assume it's an issue with the code itself. Songs will almost always be "just starting" on stations, stations will stay silent for a long time, stations won't want to change. I was hoping that the PC version might have a fix for this? The radio is cool but if it takes the entire duration of my car ride to start working, it's pretty useless.

I'm not sure about not being able to change stations, but yeah, the radio system is a little wonky. It's a shame, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem like anyone knows how to fix it. If it worked just a little bit better, I could see myself booting up the game regularly just to cruise around, beatin' dudes up, but no dice.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Any word on the next batch of DLC?

charnsuka
Jun 20, 2007
Bought this game yesterday and only played for about an hour, but was amazed when I got in a car for the first time and a Harmonic 313 track was playing!? Then the next track was Flying Lotus? what a wonderful surprise.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
The last thing I expected when I bought this game was for the music to be so good. Now I just wish it would keep playing when I get out of the car.

Need a DLC to give Wei an MP3 player and some headphones.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
If there was one thing SR2 did right over anything its sandbox competitors did it was letting my listen to Bossa Nova while strolling around the sidewalk. :whatup:

With all the bluetooth and smartphone poo poo out there I'm REALLY surprised there isn't more "out of car" music listening. But I could almost understand, because it makes the available music for the game seem that much shorter (because you'll listen to all of it quicker). That said, more games should allow compatibility for custom soundtracks or at least playlist. Hell, Scarface on the PS2 let me listen to Body Rock and Don't Believe The Hype anytime I pleased. And that was under the assumption that Tony Montana carried a WALKMAN.

That didn't ruin my suspension of disbelief for a second. :colbert:

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

charnsuka posted:

Bought this game yesterday and only played for about an hour, but was amazed when I got in a car for the first time and a Harmonic 313 track was playing!? Then the next track was Flying Lotus? what a wonderful surprise.

I will buy any game that has Autechre on the soundtrack. I give no cares and have no regrets.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Listening to music while on foot takes away one of your key senses. :colbert:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Indeed, this game has some pretty great music, and it helps that it's not like the music in pretty much any other game of its type.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Listening to music while on foot takes away one of your key senses. :colbert:
I think a little handicap like that would do Wei some good :colbert:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

This game is really great, but I'd love some pointers on the combat besides the hint stuff, I'm getting consistently owned by the backup on the Benny mission and it's rage-inducing. I've tried using the fish from the tank, going for that one guy's knife, environmental attacks, everything. Counters only seem to work a third of the attempts or fewer.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If you have the Screen Legends DLC, the Wing Chun Master outfit makes combat a lot easier. It increases the window to do a counter by enough to make it easier to do than fail to do. I just ran through most of the game wearing it myself.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

If you have the Screen Legends DLC, the Wing Chun Master outfit makes combat a lot easier. It increases the window to do a counter by enough to make it easier to do than fail to do. I just ran through most of the game wearing it myself.
Plus with it, you can pretend that Wei Shen is secretly a time-warped Chinese man from post-Xinhai Revolution (1911) / pre-WWII China. :allears:

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

SplitSoul posted:

This game is really great, but I'd love some pointers on the combat besides the hint stuff, I'm getting consistently owned by the backup on the Benny mission and it's rage-inducing. I've tried using the fish from the tank, going for that one guy's knife, environmental attacks, everything. Counters only seem to work a third of the attempts or fewer.

If you're button mashing counter, it puts in a delay for every failed attempt. Just wait for them to start moving. Remember you can counter even in the middle of one of your own moves, just try not to counter when you don't need to.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Nightmare in North Point is on sale for like £2 just now, definitely pick it up if you enjoyed the main game. I hadn't touched Sleeping Dogs for a while after completing it, is there any more :cool: way to revisit a game than to slam the vengeful undead repeatedly in the door of your supercar?

Not counting being a Shaolin monk mowing them down while perched atop a wheelying motorbike, sword in hand.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Is the Shaolin monk part from NiNP too, or is that another DLC? I really need to pick up NiNP when I have the money...

tophet
Oct 28, 2003

Young Orc
Holy poo poo. I decided to try and get a plat in this game, which I never do, and after running all over the map collecting lockboxes there's one that's just not there.

Behind the K-Bar, I can see where the uncollected box is on the map, I watched a youtube video and saw someone get it, but in my game the box just isn't there. I could have saved myself a lot of really boring play time collecting boxes if I had an idea this would happen. Quitting and reloading doesn't make it reappear.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Is it just me, or does Pendrew look kinda like Livanov as Sherlock Holmes?

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
Drinking, Driving, Thinking of You
Anyone in here have a spare $5 Amazon promo code that you don't plan on using for this month? If so would you be able to buy Sleeping Dogs using it, and I will pay you back via PayPal? I'd really appreciate it!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/NeedlesKane

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

G-Philez posted:

Anyone in here have a spare $5 Amazon promo code that you don't plan on using for this month? If so would you be able to buy Sleeping Dogs using it, and I will pay you back via PayPal? I'd really appreciate it!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/NeedlesKane

The Amazon promo code doesn't work on it, or at the very least, doesn't work yet.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

So I know that NiNP was relatively well received as content DLC (anyone want to estimate the length? 1 hour? 2?), but how is the Zodiac Tournament? I had preordered the game back when it came out and poopsocked through it, but now that the DLC is on sale on steam, I was thinking of making another go at it. Opinions on what to pick up?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sputnik posted:

So I know that NiNP was relatively well received as content DLC (anyone want to estimate the length? 1 hour? 2?), but how is the Zodiac Tournament?

Fairly weak in my opinion. Definitely worse than NINP.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Just picked this up on steam and seeing as the DLC is on sale too I said gently caress it and bought that also. Not sure if that was wise but at least I can dress up like an insane person now.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The Lone Badger posted:

Fairly weak in my opinion. Definitely worse than NINP.

Its not as good as NINP, but worth what its going for right now. They've said that they had 6 months worth of DLC planned out so hopefully that means at least one more content DLC.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I just started the game and it's pretty awesome, but I need to get used to not mashing buttons during melee combat. Is a controller recommended? I used the mouse and keyboard and had a hard time with the martial arts tutorials.

Also, I should probably stay away from drug busts where the thugs have guns, at least for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Zeether posted:

Also, I should probably stay away from drug busts where the thugs have guns, at least for now.
WRONG. The right answer is to get a car.

• Locked thread