Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So good to finally see Splinter kicking rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Dr_Amazing posted:

So good to finally see Splinter kicking rear end.

It certainly seems he is a shredder level threat, were he ever to turn against his children. I mean, I guess that's always been obvious but it was played for comedy when he trounced the turtles with his stick.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
This is probably the first CG TV show that I can watch and not really think "man, this CG is taking me out of it."

TF Prime was sort of there, but it still feels a bit too video gamey. This show has a style and weight that TF Prime lacks, and it's mostly because there's still a lot of classic cartoony physics and cheating going on that makes for something quick and fun. Maybe it's because the show takes place mostly at night, or in the sewers.

They're obviously still on a budget, but the CG has a lot of attention to detail and just plain care that you don't see in other CG TV shows. The Kung Fu Panda series sort of has some of this, but I guess because you can compare it against the movie you notice the flaws more.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
It's not really about care or attention to detail. KFP or Transformers would have awesome models and sets too, but it ultimately comes down to how long it takes to render those models. The turtles' models are full of nooks and crannies (just look at those shells!), but those are all angles that you have to calculate lighting for in the final render, and that takes time. Like, HOURS and HOURS of time, so you either A) Buy a bigger render farm so you can pump out shots fast enough or B) simplify your models and sets. TMNT has the luxury of doing A, but Transformers and other shows have to settle for big action sequences that take place in the middle of a barren field.

Even with all the freedom re: CG we have on Turtles, we constantly butt up against constraints that have to do with render time. It's funny. One day we (hopefully!) will have personal computers that could render out our shots in seconds, but today raw processing power holds sway over everything on the show.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Characters on Transformers actually cost three times as much as normal models, because Robot Mode, Transformation, and Vehicle Mode are all seperate models.
They've gotten over budget/time and have had clip show segments in the episodes (once for an entire episode) at some points.
So really they have to get all the use they can out of each model and the cast is severly limited.
I got very annoyed when people whined hardcore when a dead characters twin showed up and pointed at it as proof the series suuuucked. :mad:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Characters on Transformers actually cost three times as much as normal models, because Robot Mode, Transformation, and Vehicle Mode are all seperate models.

Actually most CG animation uses multiple models for the same character, rigs too. Transformers may have slightly more, but not an unheard of ammount.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Recycle Bin posted:

It's not really about care or attention to detail. KFP or Transformers would have awesome models and sets too, but it ultimately comes down to how long it takes to render those models. The turtles' models are full of nooks and crannies (just look at those shells!), but those are all angles that you have to calculate lighting for in the final render, and that takes time. Like, HOURS and HOURS of time, so you either A) Buy a bigger render farm so you can pump out shots fast enough or B) simplify your models and sets. TMNT has the luxury of doing A, but Transformers and other shows have to settle for big action sequences that take place in the middle of a barren field.

Even with all the freedom re: CG we have on Turtles, we constantly butt up against constraints that have to do with render time. It's funny. One day we (hopefully!) will have personal computers that could render out our shots in seconds, but today raw processing power holds sway over everything on the show.

I'm actually really surprised by this. I would have assumed that actually making the models and setting up the animation was the part that really took a lot of time.

It sounds like all those old cartoons where they were constantly reusing the same animation clips of spiderman climbing the same wall or whatever.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Recycle Bin posted:

I'm not an animator; more just how it appears to me as a viewer. Every animated show has limitations, but as long as those limitations aren't visible to me, the viewer, then you've done a good job. Spending the extra money has tangible results.

The show would still be pretty good even if the turtles' shells didn't have all the nooks and crannies (because the storytelling and writing and acting are all top notch) but people DO notice it when you go that extra mile with the visuals and appreciate it.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Boy, it's really good that a lot of the scenes can be set in the tight, lifeless corridors that are the sewers, right? I really like shows (and games) that build on their technical restrictions rather than see them as an obstacle. It creates a unique piece that can only live to its full extent in its time.

This show is probably my favorite episode so far, maybe only overshadowed of The Gauntlet. The action was fantastic, best Space Heroes yet, Leatherheads redesign amazing and his lair, backstory and scenes made him feel like a Batman villain. Also, that cliffhanger is killing me. Is this Turtles Forever all over again? Not that I'd mind.

By the way, let's just remember Leatherhead's first animated appearance.
Those accents. Yikes.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I love TF Prime. The animation's quite good for television--you can see dings and scratches in their hides!--and the writing's fantastic. I also really like the decision to include adult humans in the action, and how the show deconstructs the idea of the "Scrappy," by showing how the fearless, perky, and ultimately stupid go-getter is more likely to get everyone killed, than save the day.

There've also been some nice, subtle homages to "Alien" and other horror and sci fi franchises buried throughout.

Of course, my original reference point for TV CG is "Reboot," "Beast Wars," and "Penguins of Madagascar."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think Nickelodeon really is the height of TV CGI at this point. Other than Spongebob (which should've died ten times over by this point), they've completely switched over to CGI with all their cartoons. For better or worse, they're all in.

I was a little surprised that Leatherhead was outright killing some of the Krang in this episode. I thought they weren't allowed to have stuff like that on the show.

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
My nephew started watching this and got me back in. I use to love the Ninja turtles as a kid, I had the curtains, bed, toys and more. Show was better than I thought it would be.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Nickelodeon really is the height of TV CGI at this point. Other than Spongebob (which should've died ten times over by this point), they've completely switched over to CGI with all their cartoons. For better or worse, they're all in.

Korra's not CG, but yes, it's the exception rather than the rule. Nick is putting their chips behind a lot of Dreamworks properties, which means a lot of CG series.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was a little surprised that Leatherhead was outright killing some of the Krang in this episode. I thought they weren't allowed to have stuff like that on the show.

Isn't there an unholy amount of unfunny live action shows?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

horriblePencilist posted:

Isn't there an unholy amount of unfunny live action shows?

Not to derail, but God yes. My Tivo always records the last bit of Spongebob before TMNT, so I have the between-shows commercial break as well. I dunno if anyone else saw it, but there was a clip of a musical performance from Victorious. And, holy poo poo, what are they dressing these girls in? I'm just 25 and I'm yelling at my T.V. for these girls to put on some clothes. I don't know when this happened, but I do know the characters on Hey, Dude and Salute Your Shorts didn't dress like that.

Derail-aside, this episode was awesome. Including Leatherhead was great, though I'm not going to be happy Ray until Fillet makes an appearance.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Guess what, we can all watch cool teens doing ninja things next week
Also Roseanne Barr is joining the voice cast.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Looks like a new episode is going up Friday night, too. Odd, but not going to complain.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Echophonic posted:

Looks like a new episode is going up Friday night, too. Odd, but not going to complain.

It's especially odd because after this next one they go back to being on Saturday. But yes, it's a new episode so they can do whatever they want.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Holy poo poo. I really hope she does Kraang speak

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

Man, they're not keeping anything a secret on this show...

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Recycle Bin posted:

Man, they're not keeping anything a secret on this show...

It's okay, nobody knows that the Rat King is Wilford Brimley yet.
...whoops.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Have to say I loved the new rat king. I'm pretty sure this episode was a pretty close match to one of the old ones. I think he may have used a flute back then.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Latest episode was awesome, but didn't they travel into another dimension or something the episode before? I mean, it did end with the Turtles riding the supercharged subway train into someplace, right?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

horriblePencilist posted:

Latest episode was awesome, but didn't they travel into another dimension or something the episode before? I mean, it did end with the Turtles riding the supercharged subway train into someplace, right?

I thought so too at first, but I think they really did just travel through the streets super-fast and end up in a sewage plant.

The new episode was great. Rat King had me grossed out the entire time. Those loving teeth. :gonk:

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
I like how the episode showed that Leonardo was the most skilled turtle, and even he just got pummeled without a chance against splinter. And everyone's reaction to the inital training session where he lands a jab on Splinter "you can never wash this hand again."

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So apparently a "rat king" is actually a thing besides just being the king of the rats. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_king_(folklore)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

So apparently a "rat king" is actually a thing besides just being the king of the rats. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_king_(folklore)

Ugh. I was kind of hoping someone wouldn't make that connection to that awful photo. :v:

I wonder if the writers ran into that picture by a Google Image Search...

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm really impressed with how this show is getting better and better. The way Leatherhead was brought in was pitch-perfect and straight out of the comics. What's next, intergalactic travel via giant cow head? :v:

The Rat King was awesome, as well. I wasn't sold on Falco as a villain the first time, but he's creepy as hell like this. Donny also had the best line in the episode: "I've just come to a horrible realization: he's been taking it easy on us all these years!"

GrumbleGrumble
Jul 11, 2004

I really love how this shown has branched out and done its own thing but I'm still looking forward to seeing an updated Rocksteady and Bebop, because I know they could stay as dumb muscle or be redesigned entirely and they'd find a way to make them fit in.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

GrumbleGrumble posted:

I really love how this shown has branched out and done its own thing but I'm still looking forward to seeing an updated Rocksteady and Bebop, because I know they could stay as dumb muscle or be redesigned entirely and they'd find a way to make them fit in.

they were re-designed entirely, in the form of Dogpound and whatever the hell name mutated Xever has. And they are actually competant, if outmatched by the turtles. Unless you mean a one-off episode where Shredder somehow mutates a retarded Boar and Rhino.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

MrJacobs posted:

they were re-designed entirely, in the form of Dogpound and whatever the hell name mutated Xever has.

I really hope this isn't the case.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

PureRok posted:

I really hope this isn't the case.

Giving Shredder new goons is kind of a thing with the franchise. In the live action movies he had the bald guy and in the second he had Tokka and Rahzar, and in the previous show his daughter was the main goon I believe.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Andrew Verse posted:

Giving Shredder new goons is kind of a thing with the franchise. In the live action movies he had the bald guy and in the second he had Tokka and Rahzar, and in the previous show his daughter was the main goon I believe.

He had Hun at first since he owned the Purple Dragons, then Karai after that. Oh, Stockman was there too somewhere.

Mostly it was just Hun though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Echophonic posted:

The Rat King was awesome, as well. I wasn't sold on Falco as a villain the first time, but he's creepy as hell like this. Donny also had the best line in the episode: "I've just come to a horrible realization: he's been taking it easy on us all these years!"

While that was cool I'm still loving Mikey's characterization, and his fascination with naming stuff. I loved how upset he got that Falco named himself and took the whole episode to get over it. Falco looked very creepy in his dark coat and hat, with his eyes covered - but I found the teeth more distracting than horrifying personally. I just find it hilarious that the fire apparently melted his gums and made his teeth grow all over the place everytime I see them.

Nice to see Donny working on the go-carts as well. The details on it are a nice touch, one of the mudgaurds was made out of a one way street sign for instance, though I'm sure there's other little things to catch as well. I'm still waiting to see the first hints of the van they have in the credits though. Really looking forward to seeing that show up for some reason.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Andrew Verse posted:

Tetsu was awesome just for how he spoke. the phrase "Ninja VANISH!" was stuck in my head for years after seeing the movie due to his awesome delivery of the line. I was sad when 2003 Shredder never used it instead using "ninja, dissapear" that sounded nowhere near as cool.

Plus the only person who could beat him was the Shredder and a guy who uses sports equipment as weapons and is somehow on the same level as highly-trained super ninjas. Because Casey Jones is awesome, and needs to have a 2012 episode soon.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

Because Casey Jones is awesome, and needs to have a 2012 episode soon.

You'll have to wait until season 2. Corey Feldman is voicing Casey.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

El Tortuga posted:

You'll have to wait until season 2. Corey Feldman is voicing Casey.

isn't this season 2? or is season 1 26 episodes broken up?

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

MrJacobs posted:

isn't this season 2? or is season 1 26 episodes broken up?

Season one is 26 episodes. This was just a brief hiatus.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

MrJacobs posted:

they were re-designed entirely, in the form of Dogpound and whatever the hell name mutated Xever has. And they are actually competant, if outmatched by the turtles. Unless you mean a one-off episode where Shredder somehow mutates a retarded Boar and Rhino.

Bebop and Rocksteady were actually pretty dangerous when they were still new. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtsdJy9Goz0&t=3s

It wasn't long before they went from being pretty dumb to mentally disabled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAjkP-7IUso&t=3s

They did manage to take over the world that one time too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpTkP6BCD-w&t=2s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

Bebop and Rocksteady were actually pretty dangerous when they were still new. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtsdJy9Goz0&t=3s

It wasn't long before they went from being pretty dumb to mentally disabled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAjkP-7IUso&t=3s

They did manage to take over the world that one time too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpTkP6BCD-w&t=2s

None of those videos work in the US, apparently. :(

• Locked thread