Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

alkama posted:

Hey mister, just a note to tell you your link is broken ;(
I'd be glad to give it a ear !

My upload decided it needed to play at half-speed. It sounded like a dying walkman and I'll have to re-up it when I get home today.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
OK, I fixed it, there was some weirdness that happened in conversion to mp3. Please check it out and let me know if I should go back and work more on it!

http://soundcloud.com/killhamster/and-now-a-message-from-the

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Are there any opinions on the Ableton 'Push' MIDI controller that is coming out this Feb? I've been looking for a MIDI controller for a while suited for a beginner, but this thing sounds like a game changer. It's definitely A LOT more than I want to spend (it's $600), but the feature integration with Ableton is awesome.

It also outputs in the MIDI format and not some odd proprietary format just suited for ableton, so it can be used with other DAWs too.

I'm really tempted to order it as a gift to myself for my upcoming birthday. I'm just not sure that I am ready for something this complicated. However, I'd honestly rather have a 'new' controller and pay the premium rather than Craigslist something that has been beat to poo poo. I've been burned before on a groovebox that crapped out after a month of use.

So is this actually the holy grail of controllers everyone is making it out to be? Or do y'all have any other suggestions?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Avalanche posted:

So is this actually the holy grail of controllers everyone is making it out to be? Or do y'all have any other suggestions?

It certainly looks nice, but as far as I can tell nobody outside of Ableton has used it until NAMM, so there aren't any good outside opinions yet.

Although it might output MIDI, support for integration like you see in the videos will only be built into Live 9, so add on a copy of that to the cost if the included Live 9 Intro isn't good enough for you.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Thoogsby posted:

I just finished what I would probably consider my first complete track. This thread is basically what got me started making music and I still have a long way to go but Its absurd how much of a leg up I got from starting here. I'd love some feedback on this:

https://soundcloud.com/heyitsben/beg-you

I'm really loving this except for the rapid little hat ticks. Those don't seem to fit with the rest of the instruments very well. The other drums all have this fantastic, knocking around pool balls kinda feel.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Avalanche posted:

Are there any opinions on the Ableton 'Push' MIDI controller that is coming out this Feb? I've been looking for a MIDI controller for a while suited for a beginner, but this thing sounds like a game changer. It's definitely A LOT more than I want to spend (it's $600), but the feature integration with Ableton is awesome.

It also outputs in the MIDI format and not some odd proprietary format just suited for ableton, so it can be used with other DAWs too.

I'm really tempted to order it as a gift to myself for my upcoming birthday. I'm just not sure that I am ready for something this complicated. However, I'd honestly rather have a 'new' controller and pay the premium rather than Craigslist something that has been beat to poo poo. I've been burned before on a groovebox that crapped out after a month of use.

It seems pretty cool but very expensive. The function that lets you play scales with the pads seems interesting - almost like cheat mode for music theory. Curious if there are any other controllers or midi plugins that do this already?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

a foolish pianist posted:

I'm really loving this except for the rapid little hat ticks. Those don't seem to fit with the rest of the instruments very well. The other drums all have this fantastic, knocking around pool balls kinda feel.

Thanks man, and yeah listening to it now I can see there are a ton of flaws.

Started putting together this track this week. I'm not sure how a I feel about it. I think it's got some good elements but it doesn't sound as clean as I would like. I might just go in an re-EQ everything. I'd love some feedback on it.
https://soundcloud.com/heyitsben/1-22-13-v5

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 26, 2013

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Lump Shaker posted:

The function that lets you play scales with the pads seems interesting - almost like cheat mode for music theory. Curious if there are any other controllers or midi plugins that do this already?
Not 100% sure if I know what you're talking about, but take a look at NicFit Note Scale Q. This should help forcing midi notes into matching a scale and should work with any sort of midi controller in (almost) any sort of vst supporting host.

This series of plugins may be old, but they still work fine for me. There's also some interesting CC converter/remapper stuff.

I mostly occasionally use the midi monitor plugin to troubleshoot.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

New track :toot: https://soundcloud.com/colugo/check-your-mucilage

This is probably the most obnoxious, beep-boop thing I have ever made. I'm going to go have a quiet lie down now.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
Just finished a kind of harder techno track. I'm getting back into producing after a long time and am trying to get better at mixing/eqing. Any feedback would be appreciated. I think the bass might be muddy.

https://soundcloud.com/ttinga/ttinga-svress

alkama
Jan 16, 2013

thugs need hugs

Lump Shaker posted:

Just finished a kind of harder techno track. I'm getting back into producing after a long time and am trying to get better at mixing/eqing. Any feedback would be appreciated. I think the bass might be muddy.

https://soundcloud.com/ttinga/ttinga-svress

And another great track ! Reminds me my youth listening to Jay Denham, The Advent, ...
Very solid techno.

Now for the advices (they're just my opinion and I can seriously be wrong) some elements sound a bit too "frontmost" and could blend a bit more like the stabs that intermittently appear around 1:00, the bell hit at 1:38, and the filtered bell sound on the whole last part (from 6:34 to end). Those feel like standing out too much or hitting too strong. Or maybe they're just too dry?
The muddy bass feels part of the style, so it didnt stroke me;)

Want more of your tracks on your soundcloud ! please !

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

alkama posted:

And another great track ! Reminds me my youth listening to Jay Denham, The Advent, ...
Very solid techno.

Now for the advices (they're just my opinion and I can seriously be wrong) some elements sound a bit too "frontmost" and could blend a bit more like the stabs that intermittently appear around 1:00, the bell hit at 1:38, and the filtered bell sound on the whole last part (from 6:34 to end). Those feel like standing out too much or hitting too strong. Or maybe they're just too dry?
The muddy bass feels part of the style, so it didnt stroke me;)

Want more of your tracks on your soundcloud ! please !

Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback. Yes, I agree - those sounds you pointed out are all on the same track and I think the wet/dry on the reverb needs to be cranked a bit.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Hi this thread! I posted this in March 2012:

Here's what I'm up to these days! Still a work in progress, and also I switched to using mostly external synthesizers!

http://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/serious-progress

Long story short, SA is a great great great GREAT resource for aspiring musicians. :)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So I have a long story behind why I'm asking this and what I'm asking for but instead of creating a new Ask/Tell thread I'll just throw a smallish question in here and see what pops out. Note: I know a small-to-moderate amount about creating music but have never been satisfied by my own results.

The context: I have a trance track on hand composed of (what seems like) a small set of instruments and a rather repetitive set of notes.

The question: Do people exist with the talent to listen to this track, pick out the instruments (not the notes), and then be able to replicate those instruments with relative ease through whatever VST of their choice?

Follow-up questions: If these people exist, where can I find them? Is there a word or phrase which describes this talent, like how some people have 'perfect pitch'? How helpful are these people towards those who have lesser musical talent? Do they charge?

I'll gladly answer questions to flesh out why I'm asking but I just sorta generally wonder about this kind of thing. Are there DJ-duos who work together because one does instruments while the other does notes?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

DaveKap posted:

The question: Do people exist with the talent to listen to this track, pick out the instruments (not the notes), and then be able to replicate those instruments with relative ease through whatever VST of their choice?

Follow-up questions: If these people exist, where can I find them? Is there a word or phrase which describes this talent, like how some people have 'perfect pitch'? How helpful are these people towards those who have lesser musical talent? Do they charge?

There's a bunch of us who can do this with varying degrees of success in the synthesizer thread. It comes more from a background in synthesis than composition.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.
So I got some new sounds and VSTs to play with and I thought I'd try my hand at an electronic song. I think this is dubstep because it's 140 and uses Massive and LFOs, but to be honest I don't listen to EDM regularly so maybe it's not.

https://soundcloud.com/dukamok/empathic

First time using tons of compression and sidechaining kicks, did it come through okay in the mix? I go back and forth between feeling like the kick and bass are too quiet and too loud. Second question is around the bass, I know it's a bit simplistic at the moment, and want to dive into making it more interesting, but not sure where to start. Any tips to spice up the triplet/sixteenth alternation that I can't seem to escape?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Hi this thread! I posted this in March 2012:

Here's what I'm up to these days! Still a work in progress, and also I switched to using mostly external synthesizers!

http://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/serious-progress

Long story short, SA is a great great great GREAT resource for aspiring musicians. :)

I'm digging it, sort of a modern acid/Moroder vibe.

The kick could stand to be a lot bigger/fatter/deeper. Also don't be afraid to compress the drums a bit, some moderate compression on the kick can give it more body, and a gentle buss compressor on the drum submix can help pull the drum part together.

The bass sounds a little farty and could probably benefit from a little eq cut around 250Hz but nothing serious.

I really like the pad synth, what is that?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

DaveKap posted:

Like WAFFLEHOUND said, this is pretty much what synthesis and sound design are all about. A good starting point is knowing how different waveforms sound (sawtooth / square / sine / etc.), understanding filters (lowpass / highpass / etc., filter resonance), understanding modulation (LFOs and envelopes) and effects. That's a good palette for a lot of common bass/lead/pad sounds, though from there it helps to know a bit about different types of synthesis (wavetable, FM, granular, sample-based) which can have characteristics not possible with a basic subtractive (analog-style) synth. And some individual synths (like a Minimoog or a Roland TB-303) have a very distinctive sound that's difficult to copy unless it's a very faithful emulation of that particular instrument.

A good way to learn this stuff is to take a subtractive synth (hardware or VST) of medium-ish complexity (the free "Synth 1" VST is the usual recommendation, and a fine choice) and learn it inside out, learn what every control and parameter does, and how to dial in sounds from a blank preset. Learn to make a few synthy sounds, also some percussion sounds (kick drums, crash cymbals, xylophones), and sound effects are great practice -- stuff like a revving race car engine, doors creaking, slide whistle, dripping water, etc.)

quote:

I'll gladly answer questions to flesh out why I'm asking but I just sorta generally wonder about this kind of thing. Are there DJ-duos who work together because one does instruments while the other does notes?

We used to have a "how do I make this sound?" thread but I think it's expired into the archives. But yeah, if you have questions about anything specific, this thread or the Synthesizer thread are great places to ask.

Also, yeah, there are probably production teams where one person is focused on the compositional aspects and one person is focused on sound design. There's a third piece of the pie, that's engineering -- knowing how to fit the individual sounds together in a tight, cohesive way (with rock/live/instrumental music, that's usually the job of somebody at the recording studio, but with electronic music it's an integral part of the songwriting process).

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

h_double posted:

We used to have a "how do I make this sound?" thread but I think it's expired into the archives.
Still here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2974992

Thing is - I'm glad it still has momentum but I'm sort of getting burned out on it. I also get several PMs on other forums of people asking me how to make stuff. The stupid thing is that there are lots of people who consider themselves synthesis geniuses but can't be bothered to answer even the simple entry-level stuff.

I should really write down my reverse-engineering strategies but most of 'm are kind of like learning multiplication in school; you just memorize everything from 1x1 to 10x10 and the rest follows from that.

Most importantly, mimicking other people's sounds is interesting as a learning exercise but ultimately sort of a dead end; moreso with complex dubstep basslines and crap because it's not about that specific particular sound but the concept of modulating things so-and-so.

quote:

Also, yeah, there are probably production teams where one person is focused on the compositional aspects and one person is focused on sound design. There's a third piece of the pie, that's engineering -- knowing how to fit the individual sounds together in a tight, cohesive way (with rock/live/instrumental music, that's usually the job of somebody at the recording studio, but with electronic music it's an integral part of the songwriting process).

Yeah, dividing stuff up between teams allows you to specialize further in what you're good at and most importantly, having a buddy lets you get poo poo done because you can motivate eachother.

Do they charge? I don't. I've always seen "studio secrets" as ridiculous; often it's something embarrassingly simple like buying the correct device and being the first to use it in an unconventional way (Auto-tune), or it's by combining two or three devices and feeding them into eachother in ways usually not explored or recommended by conventional studio practices ("Crystal echo delay").

If the only thing that gives you an edge is money, you didn't have an edge to begin with.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 28, 2013

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
My friend suggested an informal "let's remix 80s songs" challenge for a few of us, and after a couple of false starts on my part (protip: "Message in a Bottle" and "Bela Lugosi's Dead" are both late 1979), I'm doing an electro-house mix of "Eye of the Tiger", still a work in progress:

http://discolingua.com/music/747_vs_Survivor-Eye_of_the_Tiger_%28Tiger_Bomb_the_Temple_remix%29.mp3

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

DukAmok posted:

Second question is around the bass, I know it's a bit simplistic at the moment, and want to dive into making it more interesting, but not sure where to start. Any tips to spice up the triplet/sixteenth alternation that I can't seem to escape?
I like this. Structurally it reminds me of tracker music, which I'm ok with. In superficial ways, it reminds me of a modernified, dubsteppered version of Replay's (Ryan Weeke's) Ambient Interlude, if anyone remembers that s3m by any chance. Can't find a youtube of it, but you can hear it in browser from the Mod Archive Player should you have Java installed.

I have no problems with the bass being simplistic; the track is pretty busy, the last thing you need is an extra element that tries to draw attention.

Sorry for skipping over the mixing advice, but I have only limited access to my good speakers. I just had the most pleasant flashback to the mid nineties, in a good way.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

h_double posted:

I'm digging it, sort of a modern acid/Moroder vibe.

The kick could stand to be a lot bigger/fatter/deeper. Also don't be afraid to compress the drums a bit, some moderate compression on the kick can give it more body, and a gentle buss compressor on the drum submix can help pull the drum part together.

The bass sounds a little farty and could probably benefit from a little eq cut around 250Hz but nothing serious.

I really like the pad synth, what is that?

The kick was a lot bigger, but I actually turned down the gain on it a tiny bit for that bounce because it was clipping too much. I have a sneaking suspicion that I haven't adjusted the gain on my line in for it, but yeah it's a pretty drat massive kick otherwise. None of the drum sounds are inboard though.

The pad is an Access Virus B, which is a bit thin right now since I ran out of cables and am running it mono in instead of stereo. It should widen up pretty quickly once I fix that small detail. :)

Also your comment about modern acid makes me happy, since that's exactly what I was setting out to do.

edit: Are you referring to the farty bass early one when it doesn't have the full range there? Because I completely agree with that.

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 28, 2013

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Cross-posting from the synthesizer thread.

Coursera is sponsoring a (free) course, Introduction to Digital Sound Design, that just started today.

https://www.coursera.org/course/digitalsounddesign

quote:

Sound has always been a significant part of human experience. It shapes and transforms our everyday world. Sounds and music are embedded in almost every aspect of daily life, from communication and artistic expression to commerce, politics, and our social and cultural identities.

This course will provide an overview of the fundamental principles of sound and the factors that determine our audio perception. It will explore techniques of recording, mixing, processing, synthesis, sampling, analysis, and editing of digital audio using freely distributed audio production software for both PC and Mac. Students will also learn an array of sound design and editing techniques for use in film and web-based media, art installations, soundscape creations, or live and internet music performances.

Current Session:
Jan 28th 2013 (4 weeks long)
Workload: 3-4 hours/week

I wasn't sure if this would be of much value, but I just finished watching a good bit of the first week's lectures and so far it's really good! Even if you understand the basic concepts (timbre, partials/overtones), the instructor is really interesting and comprehensive, with good examples drawn everywhere from fine art to science to avant-garde stuff. It's free and just requires a quick registration at Coursera.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I signed up for it. It'll be nice to have a decent foundational understanding of some of the concepts in addition to just dicking around with stuff until I learn it.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

The kick was a lot bigger, but I actually turned down the gain on it a tiny bit for that bounce because it was clipping too much. I have a sneaking suspicion that I haven't adjusted the gain on my line in for it, but yeah it's a pretty drat massive kick otherwise. None of the drum sounds are inboard though.

The kick sounds good in isolation, but it has a really sharp dynamic transient. When a bunch of other stuff is going on in the mix, a lot of the kick gets buried, so that mostly what comes through is just the initial click/attack, which sounds comparatively thin.

You might want to try some combination of: compressing or limiting the kick (so the attack isn't as loud and you can bring up the decay louder), turn down the bass parts, EQ out some frequencies in the bass parts to give the kick more room.

I find it helpful to think in a "less is more" mindset with mixing; "how much can I strip out (with EQ etc.) and still have this part do its thing?"

quote:

The pad is an Access Virus B, which is a bit thin right now since I ran out of cables and am running it mono in instead of stereo. It should widen up pretty quickly once I fix that small detail. :)

Again, be careful with that; wide and dramatic sounds great in isolation, but in a full mix, it can crowd up a lot of room in the soundstage.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

h_double posted:

Again, be careful with that; wide and dramatic sounds great in isolation, but in a full mix, it can crowd up a lot of room in the soundstage.

Yep, adding the width caused it to blow out the lead. I'm okay with that though, since the parts I care about bringing it in are when the lead is quieted. Since I silenced the lead, I lowpassed the pad and am just cranking up the filter as it progresses before dropping back into the lead. The only downside is since this is a Virus B I've got to manually crank it instead of being all VST and drawing a curve.

haakman
May 5, 2011
https://soundcloud.com/ellywu2/sewer-1

Random electro-house noodlings. It's a remix of an old videogame soundtrack. I can't master worth a drat at the moment, as I have bad speakers and no frame of reference (clearly just an excuse).

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Fixed the Virus sounds (and stereo) and added some compression on the drums that's probably a bit overkill. Obviously there's some fuckups in here since I'm doing it all live.

https://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/live-run

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Lump Shaker posted:

Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback. Yes, I agree - those sounds you pointed out are all on the same track and I think the wet/dry on the reverb needs to be cranked a bit.

Possibility for a DL pretty please?

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Longtiem posted:

Possibility for a DL pretty please?

Sure, PM me and I'll send you a 320 if you want it.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Pretty much done with this track. Pretty simple, just a beat. I'm really new to warping/manipulating vocals so I'm not 100% confident it how it turned it out.
https://soundcloud.com/heyitsben/seven-degrees-at-2pm

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity

Thoogsby posted:

Pretty much done with this track. Pretty simple, just a beat. I'm really new to warping/manipulating vocals so I'm not 100% confident it how it turned it out.
https://soundcloud.com/heyitsben/seven-degrees-at-2pm

Vocals sound dope, piano and additional perc sound dope. The snare needs to be less chunky and more verby maybe?

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
https://soundcloud.com/careyb/beta-beat

Some hip hop/bass/techno combo

Cabal Ties fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 31, 2013

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Lump Shaker posted:

Cool track mate. Got a sweet progression to it. I would move those elements into their own tracks as subtle changes in the eq on each layer might help them blend in very subtly. You could try bussing them together then compressing/more reverb so you get that same roll?

e: Sounds like another low end sound on that big last drop would turn it into a monster :)

Cabal Ties fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 31, 2013

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

h_double posted:

Cross-posting from the synthesizer thread.

Coursera is sponsoring a (free) course, Introduction to Digital Sound Design, that just started today.

https://www.coursera.org/course/digitalsounddesign

I wasn't sure if this would be of much value, but I just finished watching a good bit of the first week's lectures and so far it's really good! Even if you understand the basic concepts (timbre, partials/overtones), the instructor is really interesting and comprehensive, with good examples drawn everywhere from fine art to science to avant-garde stuff. It's free and just requires a quick registration at Coursera.

I signed up and now I'm catching up. This is very good, thanks for the link!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Fixed the Virus sounds (and stereo) and added some compression on the drums that's probably a bit overkill. Obviously there's some fuckups in here since I'm doing it all live.

https://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/live-run

I'd still love some advice on how to make this more compelling!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I made some techno.

http://soundcloud.com/downpour/untitled

I think it might be too basic - I was going for a seamless drone-y thing w/ everything drifting in and out, but then I went back to cutting poo poo in and out for some reason and I cant tell if i'm not happy because it's not what I intended or it's just not good.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

slardel posted:

I think it's just a harmonic exciter

edit: I made a new track today. Combined it with something I did a few weeks ago and now it's a thing~

click if you're in the mood for moodiness
http://mathbonus.bandcamp.com/album/ghost-look-i-know-a-cave-on-the-moon-we-can-visit

I really enjoyed both of these. Thanks for the alt link as well. I haven't uploaded much at all recently but here's something I think you will enjoy:
http://soundcloud.com/aneurythm/aneurythm-mixed-blessings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

as this blessed evening falls don't forget the alcohol
http://neonshudder.bandcamp.com/ - my weird electronic-cyberpunk-wish-I-lived-in-blade-runner ep dealie is out

I posted a track some time in the past month but now I have a sort of "EP" thing made up of 6 tracks I did recently as well as a couple of really old ones I threw on at the end as "bonus" tracks.

If you just want to pass through I think broken english, echo transit and neurohexazine are the stronger songs but that's just my opinion after hearing them all a billion times.

If you decide you don't hate it you can download it there too [0.00 is free for the first 200 downloads I think?]

The Mechanical Hand fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 31, 2013

• Locked thread