Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Ian McLean posted:

no, but I do not see another company other than apple with an iphone. What is your point?

you made my point for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

its a pointless novelty that detracts from the otherwise excellent statistics website that you are offering

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Ian McLean posted:

The statpedia search automatically calls on the wolfram search to display on statpedia. That way it is a fact checker against anything that anyone uploads. It is also marketing for wolfram.
it doesn't work in most cases and statpedia largely just displays word salad with broken links on almost every keyword that it manages to find

listen ian, i know you want to be the computers famous millionaire ideas guy but nobody's out there just wishing they had more stats, the average person doesn't even understand what statistics as a thing even is. face it, there are people way smarter than you working on way more important poo poo than a facebook for stats. you are not the steve jobs of stats who is just misunderstood and will later be lauded as a genius.

i would recommend getting into the novelty sound effect iphone app field while the gettin is still good, i find the current selection of burp and fart pianos somewhat lacking

Socracheese fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 28, 2013

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Socracheese posted:

it looks like poo poo, the pic on the right entry is broken.

it looks like a nice first project thing that you could show off to get hired doing junior web development after you graduate tho so i guess thats something

Not going to happen I already have better work lined up. Not to mention how much I think about just going to the beach, and staying there until I starve to death. At this point in life, I don't really mind dying young. If I can't have my 50 million dollar home then at least I can still die on the beach in front of it.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

maybe you should make a line graph over time of your manic episodes

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Socracheese posted:

maybe you should make a line graph over time of your manic episodes

It would probably show increased activity after logging on and listening to you.

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

theadder posted:

its a pointless novelty that detracts from the otherwise excellent statistics website that you are offering

ok fair enough. It is only in firefox, you know that right? Thanks for the positive encouragement. I will most likely take it down before official release.

I listen. Thanks for the advice. :)

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Ian the brogrammer ftw

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Ian McLean posted:

no, but I do not see another company other than apple with an iphone. What is your point?

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Guys, theres over 6 billion people on this planet, if we just get 1% of them using statpedia, thats 60 million people adding and sharing statistics!!!!! Look at how much Facebook is valued, I will be a billionaire, and buy a 50 million dollar house

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

ian how much money have you spent having people frantically google $.getJSON and hack together a website?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Ian McLean posted:

The statpedia search automatically calls on the wolfram search to display on statpedia. That way it is a fact checker against anything that anyone uploads. It is also marketing for wolfram.
you've made a 1998 portal to another site

also congrats on being part of the upcoming stereotype of the overconfident yet talentless "business student" that knows nothing about the world BUT YOU CAN DO IT GO GO GO all you need are your dreams

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

prease don't give ian a job

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Socracheese posted:

i just fell for the trap and tried to think of a genuine use case for statpedia and besides 'loving none' all i could come up with is people trying to bring up evidence for some factoid they just heard and none of the stats would have any context and it would just be a conduit for people talking out their asses about poo poo they have no idea about
here's a use case for you

imagine you're on a shooting party in the North Slob, by the River Slaney in County Wexford, Ireland and became involved in an argument over which was the fastest game bird in Europe, the koshin golden plover or the grouse. where else could you turn but statpedia?

Ian McLean posted:

sarnsung lol

Ian McLean posted:

Not going to happen I already have better work lined up. Not to mention how much I think about just going to the beach, and staying there until I starve to death. At this point in life, I don't really mind dying young. If I can't have my 50 million dollar home then at least I can still die on the beach in front of it.
no don't :ohdear:

Ian McLean posted:

It would probably show increased activity after logging on and listening to you.
:supaburn:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Ian McLean posted:

sounds like a good plan, why dont you print it out on a piece of paper and then look at it 2 years later and see if it still seems like a great idea

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

ian are you going to make a billion dollar company with statpedia, or will this be your dress rehearsal for the real thing

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What'd you spend your $500 kickstarter money on Ian

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
if u spend that $500 on a prostitute my respect for you will increase a bit, fyi

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

ian is a good looking chap i dont think he needs to buy prostitutes

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
women can smell autism tho

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

ian if i search for <script>alert("yopos bitch");</script>

it probably shouldnt do anything

Squinty Applebottom fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 28, 2013

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

What'd you spend your $500 kickstarter money on Ian

he put $1 in 500 other kickstarters, only needs a few to come good and he'll make that back 10x at least.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

ian your site sucks for editing a search if it had no results

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

polpotpi posted:

lol

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
oh my god that actually works

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ian McLean posted:

Not to mention how much I think about just going to the beach, and staying there until I starve to death.
srsly doubting you've experienced anything past "mite bit peckish"

Ian McLean posted:

It is also marketing for wolfram.
dvs/j-roc all over again

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

polpotpi posted:

lol

at least it finally filters out iframes and stuff when you save as page content, nice work ian :tipshat: (no more archer what what pirate :()

wait i just thought of something else

edit: nope it filters onload and onclick and style and whatever else as well, cool

jony ive aces fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 28, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ian tell us what it's like to be a huge rear end fukkin fail

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'm pulling for ya ian

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
lol

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

ian tell us what it's like to be a huge rear end fukkin fail

ian's rear end is probably good. i'm guessing that it's not huge - just well proportioned, and possibly quite perky in the buttock area.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Cold on a Cob posted:

women can smell autism

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
he's a pretty skinny guy i bet he doesnt have much of an rear end

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Blackula69 posted:

he's a pretty skinny guy i bet he doesnt have much of an rear end

there's only one way that this conundrum can be resolved. ian post the rear end

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Dr. Honked posted:

there's only one way that this conundrum can be resolved. ian post the rear end

Hope there's some junk in the trunk

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
so i guess that one woman that said something about doing tropes in video games that got like 150k and the internet hate machine against her hasn't produced anything in 9 months so the reddit army is getting ready to strike

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/17eu0z/its_been_9_months_since_feminist_martyr_anita/

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ian do you have a graph showing who you think is actually going to use your site?

because 0% students, 0% academics, 0% journalists, 100% people who thought your site was something else isn't exactly going to make you rich

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

flyboi posted:

so i guess that one woman that said something about doing tropes in video games that got like 150k and the internet hate machine against her hasn't produced anything in 9 months so the reddit army is getting ready to strike

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/17eu0z/its_been_9_months_since_feminist_martyr_anita/

well i hope she's ready to have pictures of her house get put up on the internet

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

flyboi posted:

Firstly, the Barrett/Cloud Strife thing, you characterize Cloud as a white guy, but if you've ever watched an anime,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

flyboi posted:

the OP, apparently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UdKSyNAgx0

• Locked thread