Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Suspicious Dish posted:

so i just found that how!! made these

http://www.slideshare.net/priestc/stages-of-programming-skill-from-freshman-to-senior
http://www.slideshare.net/priestc/the-kanye-quotient

'the kanye quotient' sounds 'pos-y as gently caress how!! please givce credit next time
you can get +4 at least by hiring a libertarian transwoman who thinks she's from a humble background but is actually privileged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

how!! spends his nights thinking up platitudes to feel insightful like that anime videogame ideas guy who posted months ago

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Toady posted:

how!! spends his nights thinking up platitudes to feel insightful like that anime videogame ideas guy who posted months ago

atwood?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

its one reason they shoehorned tons of backwards compat poo poo into win rt.

you mean the desktop?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Shaggar posted:

well, no. office really does drag the whole thing down. everyone else is up in the world of .net and office is still ui updates around decades old com. its one reason they shoehorned tons of backwards compat poo poo into win rt.

according to the guy who cracked the desktop app restriction on windows rt (not to be confused with winrt) windows rt is literally just windows 8 recompiled so there wasn't any "shoehorning" involved, they just left it all there

but i'm just regurgitating some poo poo blogpost i skimmed so what do i know

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FamDav posted:

you mean the desktop?

yeah, among other parts. office cant exist w/out gui apis (and other apis) that only exist in the "desktop" world.

Werthog 95 posted:

according to the guy who cracked the desktop app restriction on windows rt (not to be confused with winrt) windows rt is literally just windows 8 recompiled so there wasn't any "shoehorning" involved, they just left it all there

but i'm just regurgitating some poo poo blogpost i skimmed so what do i know

yeah which is not a bad thing on its own. the bad thing is that the left in piles of legacy poo poo that isn't required by the .net based metro ui, but is required to support the desktop components that office needs. like the font ui is probably still in there because theres one place buried in office that you could possibly pop it up and they couldn't compile office for arm w/out it.

it should be more like winphone8 where its an arm version of nt that contains a lot of the same code as reg windows, but doesn't have legacy code. im sure winphone8 still has some legacy stuff that could be ripped out, but its not as bad as winrt.

essentially all windows arm devices should have had the same os (surface os) instead of win8arm and win8phone, but they cant cause office and now theres a huge stupid mess.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Werthog 95 posted:

so what do i know
be wary not to ask questions you don't want the answer to!!!!! *fog descends around you an a coffin opens with a skeleton holding a sign that says NOTHING IDIOT*

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

fuuuuuuuuuuck

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

WHOIS John Galt posted:

be wary not to ask questions you don't want the answer to!!!!! *fog descends around you an a coffin opens with a skeleton holding a sign that says NOTHING IDIOT*

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

owned by my own petard

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.
r.i.p. rule 36

j/k it's a good song

P.S. MononcQc I bought yer drat book, hope you've made up for your advance by now

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Nevergirls posted:

r.i.p. rule 36

is that the rule where we dont mention how old rotor is

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

how old is rotor

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
old

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
The Kanye Quotient lol

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Suspicious Dish posted:

so i just found that how!! made these

http://www.slideshare.net/priestc/stages-of-programming-skill-from-freshman-to-senior
http://www.slideshare.net/priestc/the-kanye-quotient

'the kanye quotient' sounds 'pos-y as gently caress how!! please givce credit next time

brb

:popcorn:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i wish I too could hire in terms of stereotypes

also lol at the description of a junior "writes genuinely great code", keep dreaming how!! :allears:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
thing is how!! is approaching the victor curve of funny.

you have to spend more and more time unraveling the ideas to find the hilarity, and if you do spend the time, schadenfreude loses out to pathos eventually.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
i love how he's talking about how you should have different people in a team, including a woman, and then goes on to talk about not having a team full of the things he's just been talking about

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
"fizzbuzz only eliminates freshmen" - how!!

"data structures and algorithms eliminates how!!" - me

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

if you want to hire me, just throw out all your code and hire a black, mexican and jew along with me and we will save your business

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.

polpotpi posted:

if you want to hire me, just throw out all your code and hire a black, mexican and jew along with me and we will save your business

be careful, lots of poor suburby white people are probably having nightmares about this and therefore buying guns (well, what they can) and copies of the turner diaries

goddamn it lf posting sorry

beep boop computers are hard

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

darned white people and their constitutional rights

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

tef posted:

i wish I too could hire in terms of stereotypes

also lol at the description of a junior "writes genuinely great code", keep dreaming how!! :allears:

4 years of blub

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Who!! are these presentations being made to anyway

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
mods namchange who!! to whom!!

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Dr. Honked posted:

mods namchange who!! to whom!!

but only after a preposition please and thank you (in advance)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
the how!! quotient

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
itd escribes how many of his posts contain bad advice

(spoilers:: the how!! quotient is 1)

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
i tried to rate my team using palin and kanye quotients, but the franken-redman axis we already use seems more appropriate

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
whilst!!

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
how!! high the moon

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

tef posted:

schadenfreude loses out to pathos eventually.

Nah

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

//@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@This is DEBUG CODE@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
printf("butts");
//@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@END OF DEBUG CODE@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
debutt code

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tiny debug child process

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
are we still posting this

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
dunno but we're still patching rails

http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2013/1/28/Rails-3-0-20-and-2-3-16-have-been-released/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

excuse me don't you mean omakase