Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Policenaut posted:

So just to double check, this controller will actually work with Wii games right? I've been meaning to play Xenoblade but I didn't want to until I got a controller that'd work for it on Wii U.

Just to clarify, the controller they're giving away is the Wii Classic Controller Pro and not the Wii U Pro Controller - the CC Pro attaches to a Wiimote and works with both Wii and Wii U games where applicable, whereas the U Pro is completely wireless but only works with Wii U games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Well, alright that makes sense. It's just as well, I apparently can't even register for the Capcom Store! It just asks for age, then some information, then... nothing? Oh well?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You know, I think a Trauma Center game would work really well on the Wii U. It'd be pretty neat having a touch screen TC game on console. They could even let you choose between motion and touch controls since there are somehow people out there who preferred using the Wiimote over a touch screen. A sequel to Trauma Team could work well too since it'd let them explore different ways to use the gamepad.

Just give me another Trauma Center game Atlus :negative:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think the stress of having to handle multiple chaotic medical emergencies on both the TV and the Gamepad would end my life.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Which is why it would be pretty loving awesome to have 1 dude operate on the main screen, plus 1-2 people on each their gamepad trying to diagnose and/or operate on other parts of the body.
And everyone shouting at each other because it's way too loving hectic and oh my god the guys's flatlining.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

SubNat posted:

Which is why it would be pretty loving awesome to have 1 dude operate on the main screen, plus 1-2 people on each their gamepad trying to diagnose and/or operate on other parts of the body.
And everyone shouting at each other because it's way too loving hectic and oh my god the guys's flatlining.

Oh god some kind of weird mashup of Trauma Center and Spaceteam would be the greatest thing ever.

e: This is Spaceteam for those who have not yet had the fortune of experiencing it: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-spaceteam/17-6856/

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 27, 2013

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
It occurs to me that the Wii U needs a better slogan.

Xbox 360: Jump In
PS3: It only does everything.
Wii: Wii would like to play.

But Wii U... "How U Will Play Next"
It looks stupid to start with because of the chat-speak pun, but it also carries this unearned implication that you 'will' buy this, damnit, it's inevitable. It's not inviting like "Jump in" or "Wii would like to play", and it doesn't really tout the capabilities like "It only does everything."

So what would you make the Wii U's slogan if you were working at Nintendo's ad agency?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
How about:

"Wii created this system for U"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
"Touch me, baby."

:wink:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Wii U: It's got Mario on it.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
"Who are U?"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wii U: loving Capcom making me buy this piece of poo poo for Monster Hunter ugh.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

"U are so beautiful"

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Wii U: Ignore the launch titles - it gets better, we swear!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

It's not Wii, it's U.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

codenameFANGIO posted:

It's not Wii, it's U.

:golfclap:

No wait that's not right.

:neckbeard:

There we go.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

codenameFANGIO posted:

It's not Wii, it's U.

God drat.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Widdiful posted:

Every console ever: Ignore the launch titles - it gets better, we swear!

Too generic, really.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Wii U: loving Capcom making me buy this piece of poo poo for Monster Hunter ugh.

Stealing Tim Buckley's material, I see.

codenameFANGIO posted:

It's not Wii, it's U.

This one's the best one. :drat:

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Chronojam posted:

Too generic, really.

A lot of the time, in my opinion, most consoles don't get that much better.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Widdiful posted:

A lot of the time, in my opinion, most consoles don't get that much better.

I dunno I think two big cases of that not happening was the PSX and the PS2. Their launch titles were crap(except for Fantavision). And the PS2's library is now in the thousands in terms of total games.

I think other than Monster Hunter and Bayonetta 2, they need to round out the Wii U Sequels with another Endless Ocean. Having the pad be the little fish scanner/fish encyclopedia would actually fit with everything.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So how does the Zombie U demo compare to the actual game? Does it get increasingly difficult? Or does it pretty much stay at that same level throughout?

I will admit that it took me 5 guys to get through the demo level. The first 3 it took me awhile to learn the controls. But on my second trip I did pretty well. It was incredibly fun, but I am hesitatnt to buy because I don't want it to take a steep jump in difficulty. I guess one of the things I sort of liked was that even though you die and you lose all your stuff, it's not really gone... your progress is still there. You just have to hunt down your previous self as a Zombie to get it all back.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The guns you had go away, however.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chronojam posted:

The guns you had go away, however.

This isn't quite true. You can get whatever you lost by looting your most recent survivor's zombie corpse. However if you die before reaching it and make a new one... You better hope you've been scanning CCTV junction boxes so you can look for which location's they've respawned in. The game does get progressively harder in that you'll find a few new types of zombie, and you'll come up against a few unavoidable hordes. If you don't have your poo poo together, you will die. That said though, a combination of flares and molotovs can save your rear end an almost any crisis.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Any guns on your survivor go away (at least I never found any) but you can use CCTV to find replacements, and anything in your box back home stays.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Chronojam posted:

Any guns on your survivor go away (at least I never found any) but you can use CCTV to find replacements, and anything in your box back home stays.

I've never had a gun not show up on zombie of my corpse if I go right away and kill it. Might be a randomized smattering of your goods depending on whether your pack was full or not though so who knows. I've never not left a few spaces in my pack in case of emergency so that could be it. That being said, yes if you die trying to get it back they will show up on CCTV.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
If people at Nintendo are thinking of marketing the Miiverse as A Thing for people to be interested in, interacting with other people and their avatars and trying to smuggle dicks under the radar, then I really wouldn't mind a Miiverse Musou/Warriors game on the eShop. Everyone starts off in their own region of the world and seeks to conquer that region and possibly everywhere else. Every region has a Nintendo mascot for a general. Instead of swords you use the foam batons or plastic sabers from Wii Sports Resort. You get to choose which of your system's Miis you play as and customise their stats and moves and hats, rather than being locked to the user account Mii only. Choose from generic flags/banners to represent your army or draw your own.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Just noticed that Capcom is offering a black Classic Controller Pro as a pre-order bonus for Monster Hunter 3U, in case anyone cares:

http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcomus/en_US/pd/ThemeID.1944700/productID.256030000

I thought Monster Hunter uses the game pad? Why would you want to use the controller when you can use the game pad to quickly access your inventory?

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

ZeroAX posted:

I thought Monster Hunter uses the game pad? Why would you want to use the controller when you can use the game pad to quickly access your inventory?

Hopefully that isn't the case, they're probably going to let you use the older control scheme and a newer one that focuses on the game pad's features depending on your preference. Although if they only let you use the controller then there's no real point to them porting it to the Wii U.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ZeroAX posted:

It uses both just like the one on the Wii, you just pick what controller you want. They did the same thing with bundling it with a controller as well.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 28, 2013

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Widdiful posted:

Hopefully that isn't the case, they're probably going to let you use the older control scheme and a newer one that focuses on the game pad's features depending on your preference. Although if they only let you use the controller then there's no real point to them porting it to the Wii U.

Other than continuing to piss off Sony?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Crossposting from the Sonic Transformed thread, but my Wii U refuses to update this game for whatever reason. If anyone could help me figure out the problem so that my console can stop being an rear end in a top hat and locking me out of online multiplayer, that'd be swell.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Crossposting from the Sonic Transformed thread, but my Wii U refuses to update this game for whatever reason. If anyone could help me figure out the problem so that my console can stop being an rear end in a top hat and locking me out of online multiplayer, that'd be swell.

Nintendo Network is down at the moment.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/26/psa-emergency-nintendo-network-maintenance-jan-28-and-29/

Specifically:
Monday 12-5PM PST, 3-8 EST - Wii U & 3DS eShop, Wii & DSi Shop
Monday 5-6PM PST, 8-9 EST - Warriors Orochi 3 Wii U
Monday 11PM- Tuesday 5PM PST, 2-8 EST - Pokemon B&W 1/2

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Wow, I completely forgot about that. Guess I should read next time!

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Astro7x posted:

So how does the Zombie U demo compare to the actual game? Does it get increasingly difficult? Or does it pretty much stay at that same level throughout?

ZombiU is a really solid game. There is really only one part of the game that is completely unfairly difficult. Like a lot of roguelikes, you get to a certain critical mass where you've collected so many weapons and items the game gets a little easier, until you hit that one stupid event. With that said, it was one of my favorite games I played in 2012.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I'm actually pretty annoyed that buying a Virtual Console game on the Wii and then redeeming it on Wii U costs more than it will for new users to buy a VC game straight from the Wii U. If they're charging new buyers the same as what they charged on the Wii, despite the new features, then why are they asking for more from existing owners? It also means people will hold off on buying games from the Wii VC in case they become available on the new system later, because overall it's cheaper to buy straight from Wii U.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
It's a stupid decision that has pretty much guaranteed I'll never buy anything on the VC again, because being asked to repurchase digital versions of games every generation is bullshit. But this is Nintendo, they have spent the last 6 years bungling the fairly simple concept of a digital store so badly that it's hardly a surprise.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
They should just release the games on some sort of Disc Anthology like all the other companies. Their kirby and Mario ones were pretty good, and having stuff like Metroid Anthology, Zelda Anthology(hell have you seen the ammount of copies the Hyrule Histria book sold), and Maybe Every Donkey Kong Game Ever Anthology would help pad out the Wii-U releases.

People will buy classic nintendo stuff, and they present that properly when it's an actual physical copy. It's really strange that they don't just do more of it, especialy since companies like Sony are even going back and giving games on the PS2 the same treatment. Give people a Disc and some sort of Artbook and it will sell gorillians.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

"Repurchase" is a slightly disingenuous term to use when the games are playable without additional payment, and discounted by 80% for the updated versions.

They've got to redo QA for every game and revisit any 3rd-party agreements, so personally I see that as being worth a measly dollar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Supercar Gautier posted:

"Repurchase" is a slightly disingenuous term to use when the games are playable without additional payment, and discounted by 80% for the updated versions.

They've got to redo QA for every game and revisit any 3rd-party agreements, so personally I see that as being worth a measly dollar.

Yeah but they've removed stuff like Donkey Kong Country from the VC and it's not up on the New one.

• Locked thread