Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Given how much of a financial impact mania has I don't think WWE will take 50k+ seats off the gate for the MSG tradition. Cowboys stadium is certainly one that's being thrown about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega

Fauxhawk Express posted:

So with WM being held in stadiums now, and with this year's being in the NY/NJ area, does that not bode well for WM30 being at MSG next year?

I'm a bit surprised also that they've never held it at the Superdome.

I thought I read somewhere that because of the renovations to MSG, wrestling shows won't work well there. At the very least, the old entrance of the video doors wouldn't be there anymore. This is the reason the HOF is there this year, because other wrestling poo poo wouldn't work out.

I could be wrong about all of this.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fauxhawk Express posted:

So with WM being held in stadiums now, and with this year's being in the NY/NJ area, does that not bode well for WM30 being at MSG next year?

I'm a bit surprised also that they've never held it at the Superdome.

New Orleans hasn't been a good market for wrestling in almost three decades, but there's a high likelihood that WM 30 will be there.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Gar posted:

I thought I read somewhere that because of the renovations to MSG, wrestling shows won't work well there. At the very least, the old entrance of the video doors wouldn't be there anymore. This is the reason the HOF is there this year, because other wrestling poo poo wouldn't work out.

I could be wrong about all of this.

I'm going to miss the video doors. I always loved having the entrance opposite the hard camera, especially for Rumbles.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

VogeGandire posted:

I'm going to miss the video doors. I always loved having the entrance opposite the hard camera, especially for Rumbles.

Same here, the 2000 and 2008 Rumbles with the video doors were something special because the entrance was RIGHT THERE while all the action was going on in the ring. You got two big things going on at once. It's something only the layout of MSG could do and made the shows really special.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VogeGandire posted:

I'm pretty sure there were at least reported to be talks to have WM30 in Cowboys Stadium.

There's a conflict with the 2014 NCAA Final Four, so probably not. That was a rumor but then the thing about the NCAAFF came out. I think the prevailing rumor, as MRP said, is the Superdome in New Orleans.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

There's a conflict with the 2014 NCAA Final Four, so probably not. That was a rumor but then the thing about the NCAAFF came out. I think the prevailing rumor, as MRP said, is the Superdome in New Orleans.

Shame, the GIANT SCREEN would be incredible.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

New Orleans hasn't been a good market for wrestling in almost three decades, but there's a high likelihood that WM 30 will be there.

they just HAD to beat the jyd...

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Rodney the Piper posted:

Can someone summarize what we actually know about the CrankyVince Twitter account?
There is a decent case it's JBL.
CrankyVince went silent on weekends JBL was climbing mountains and had a habit of ignoring Raws with JBL announcing before being called on it.
JBL once denied it was him and later deleted the tweet.

Being JBL seems to good to be true and the climbing thing makes me think it's a close friend of JBL instead.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Is the modified arm-drag slam that Bo Dallas uses his finisher? It's cool as hell; I love a good arm-drag.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Memento1979 posted:

Is the modified arm-drag slam that Bo Dallas uses his finisher? It's cool as hell; I love a good arm-drag.

It seems really ridiculous at first and then you realize here's a guy who can beat anyone after launching a guy off the ropes with an Irish whip. If he adds some moves that makes the crowd go, "OH poo poo HE WHIPPED HIM TO THE ROPES IS THIS IT?" he can make it even more exciting when he does hit it. It's also a move you can easily do to bigger wrestlers because all that wrestler has to be able to do is take an arm drag. If anything he just needs to learn better execution on it. Get some more snap into it. The best part about him using it is maybe this means he won't use a spear anymore, because at this point the spear is really loving overused.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Not to mention Bo throws one of the worst spears I've ever seen, so any excuse for him not to is a good thing.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

VogeGandire posted:

Not to mention Bo throws one of the worst spears I've ever seen, so any excuse for him not to is a good thing.

I've never understood why it's such an omnipresent move when Rhino's basically the only active wrestler that makes it look good. Even Edge's sucked most of the time.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Thauros posted:

I've never understood why it's such an omnipresent move when Rhino's basically the only active wrestler that makes it look good. Even Edge's sucked most of the time.

Roman Reigns and Kaitlyn.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Goldberg's spear is the best spear, gently caress y'all and Rhino.

I will defend Goldberg as a worker to a certain extent. He wasn't fantastic, but his reputation as a bad worker is a bit much. He had strengths and he had weaknesses.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rodney the Piper posted:

I will defend Goldberg as a worker to a certain extent. He wasn't fantastic, but his reputation as a bad worker is a bit much. He had strengths and he had weaknesses.

Like his super kick

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
CrankyVince being JBL would be amazing.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
^^^ There were no posts during the Royal Rumble. JBL was commentating, right?

JBL was the second gunman.

bobkatt013 posted:

Like his super kick

Which, of course, forced Hart to wrestle multiple times following that concussion.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rodney the Piper posted:

^^^ There were no posts during the Royal Rumble. JBL was commentating, right?

JBL was the second gunman.

Which, of course, forced Hart to wrestle multiple times following that concussion.

Ya so what? The kick is what gave him the concussion.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Rodney the Piper posted:

Which is why I said active wrestler, Goldberg was a good hoss (unlike Ryback) who threw a great spear.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
MY GIRLFRIEND and I were half-watching the Top 50 Finishers documentary while hanging out at my place. It was interesting to see a non-fan's reaction to the footage. The move that impressed her the most: Edge's spear v:shobon:v

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Minidust posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND and I were half-watching the Top 50 Finishers documentary while hanging out at my place. It was interesting to see a non-fan's reaction to the footage. The move that impressed her the most: Edge's spear v:shobon:v

To be fair, unless you have seen a GOOD spear (Goldberg or Rhino), Edge's is impressive.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
If she's anything like MY girlfriend, it's moreso Edge's hair that she likes :allears:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

triplexpac posted:

If she's anything like MY girlfriend, it's moreso Edge's hair that she likes :allears:
Haha I believe you're on to something.

The Stone Cold Stunner being #1 kinda underwhelmed her after that. I explained that it had a lot to do with historical significance, crowd reactions, and the sheer amount of big matches that were ended with the move.

ChaosSmurf
Dec 26, 2011
Edge's spear onto whichever guy it was who was hanging off the belts during TLC at that wrestlemania is probably my favourite WWE in-match moment.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

WM at the Jerrydome would be awesome.

e:fb

Happy Happyist fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 28, 2013

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

When stealing your opponent's finisher was popular during the Attitude Era, did Triple H ever eat a Pedigree? I know Austin and Rock both took theirs at some point (usually from each other), but don't recall Trips taking his.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Orgophlax posted:

When stealing your opponent's finisher was popular during the Attitude Era, did Triple H ever eat a Pedigree? I know Austin and Rock both took theirs at some point (usually from each other), but don't recall Trips taking his.
I believe Rock pedigreed him through a table to get a countout fall in their Iron Man match.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRaW5LPNLxg

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 28, 2013

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Minidust posted:

I believe Rock pedigreed him through a table to get a countout fall in their Iron Man match.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRaW5LPNLxg

I would've never believed he let Rock give him a Pedigree unless I saw it with my own eyes. Holy poo poo.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Same here, the 2000 and 2008 Rumbles with the video doors were something special because the entrance was RIGHT THERE while all the action was going on in the ring. You got two big things going on at once. It's something only the layout of MSG could do and made the shows really special.

Why do they have the video doors, is the floorspace just too small for the full stage? I can't say I'm a fan of it :(

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Answers Me posted:

Why do they have the video doors, is the floorspace just too small for the full stage? I can't say I'm a fan of it :(

It was just the layout, because the main door was below the stands, so they'd either have the most pathetically small stage in history, or videodoors.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The Curse Of Number 14 In The WWE Royal Rumble

http://www.wrestlezone.com/editorials/249055-the-curse-of-number-14-in-the-wwe-royal-rumble

Justin LaBar posted:

Have you ever stopped and looked at the curse of entry number 14 in the WWE Royal Rumble?

I hadn't either until recently, when someone called into my radio show and pointed out to me the last three years of entrants at the number 14 spot. It was at that point I decided to go back look at this half entertaining and half tragic trend.

The entire history of number 14 in the Royal Rumble can't be totally classified as a curse, but it is worth looking at the collection of names that walk out of the curtain at 14 for the Royal Rumble match.

I decided to omit the first Rumble in 1988 where "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan won because the match only contained 20 guys.

So we will start at 1989.

THESE ARE MOSTLY IRRELEVANT YEARS FOR #14

1989- Number 14 was Marty Jannetty. The name says it all. He goes down in history as being a description for the unfortunate link of a tag team stemming from his time as a member of The Rockers with Shawn Michaels. HBK went on to be one of the best ever and Jannetty did not. Even Al Snow, who Jannetty partnered with in The New Rockers, went on to have a more accomplished career.

1990- Number 14 was Haku. Okay, Haku stands out as being a pretty good entrant for 14 in Royal Rumble history. I found him entertaining, especially as Meng in WCW. I always thought companies could try and do more with him. Plus, I am not saying anything negative about him cause I like my nose (hardcore wrestling fans will understand that).

1991- Number 14 was “British Bulldog” Davey Boy Smith. He had a very respected career. Sadly, his life ended short in 2002 that was linked to steroids.

1992- Number 14 was Hercules. The character played by Ray Fernandez who arguably had his best days in the NWA and some highlights in WWF prior to this Rumble. He left WWE in 1992 and never did much else except for brief stint with WCW. He died at a young age of 47 in 2004.

1993- Number 14 was The Bezerker. I remember this character in WWF. He is a great memory of WWE characters I saw as a kid. Brief highlights in his career in AWA and WCCW. Was in WWE until 1993 and went off the mainstream radar. Fortunately he is still alive.

1994- Number 14 was Doink The Clown. I suppose that it is good that several people have played the character and kept the memory alive. However, at the end of the day it's wrestling clown. He ain't got nothing on a wrestling Funkasaurus. NEXT.

1995- Number 14 was Jacob Blu. Not a name many remember. He was better known as being one half of the Harris Twins in wrestling who were apart of DOA and as Creative Control in WCW with the superstar that is Jeff Jarrett. Again, still alive but Jacob Blu won't be showing up on any Hall of Fame reels.

1996- Number 14 was Doug Gilbert. Who? He accused Jerry Lawler of raping a 13 year-old even though the girl recanted her allegations and charges were dropped. This guy also has broke character, taking off his mask from one gimmick and shooting on company. He wrestled as a Freddie Krueger spin off and as a Jason from Friday The 13th spinoff. Being in the 1996 Rumble for three minutes was the highlight of this career. He is still alive if anyone wants to book him!

THESE ARE THE BEST YEARS OF #14

1997- Number 14 was Goldust. Memorable career, currently sober and alive. He is certainly one of the best number 14th entrant with all things considered.

1998- Number 14 was Ken Shamrock. Dominant MMA fighter turned pro-wrestler. He also had a memorable career with a variety of accomplishments. His return to MMA after WWE wasn't the best though. He had some serious injuries that led to him leaving wrestling and hindered his MMA success. He returned to MMA from WWE and from that point on he would get only 5 more wins but 10 losses tacked on to his record.

1999- Number 14 was Kurgan. Big dude. Had a cup of coffee in wrestling. You can see him in a fight scene in the Sherlock Holmes movie that stars Robert Downey Jr. and Rachel McAdams.

2000- Number 14 was Bob Backlund. He had quite the career and is still is alive. As far as sanity goes, the verdict is still out on that. BACKLUND FOR PRESIDENT!

2001- Number 14 was The Goodfather. Several memorable characters in his wrestling career. As far as I know he is still running a strip club in Las Vegas. WINNING!

THESE ARE THE UNFORTUNATE YEARS OF #14

2002- Number 14 was Diamond Dallas Page. Opinions on him personally and professionally are across the board. You can't deny that he wasn't in some big main events in WCW. Sadly for Page, he would suffer an injury in WWE just a few months after the Rumble and that was the end of his relevant wrestling years.

2003- Number 14 was Eddie Guerrero. No explanation here. A great performer and person. He would have a tragic and sudden death just two years later.

2004- Number 14 was Rikishi. Another performer who was entertaining during his time but was released from WWE later this year due to weight and other issues.

2005- Number 14 was Orlando Jordan. He stayed in WWE for another year. Has stood out in places like TNA as his character has was some extension of his real life sexual orientation which for a wrestling character was unique to say the least. He got to do a one off match with Ultimate Warrior 2008. YAY!

2006- Number 14 was Joey Mercury. Got released the next year in WWE. He did later return to WWE and briefly his real life battle with drugs was used as a link to join CM Punk's Straight Edge Society. Who can ever forget the unfortunate breaking of his nose in that ladder match! OUCH!

2007- Number 14 was Jeff Hardy. I'll leave the analysis to you.

2008- Number 14 was Umaga. Sadly, he would have a sudden death the next year.

2009- Number 14 was Finlay. Great performer and wrestling mind. He would later get fired by WWE for trying to have The Miz interupt the national anthem. Findlay was to get as much heel heat on The Miz as they approached WrestleMania.

2010- Number 14 was MVP. He was released from the company later this year. Although, it was MVP who requested his release but still unfortunate that his time on the big stage came to an end.

2011- Number 14 was Chris Masters. He was in at 14 in the one time only 40 man Rumble. His WWE release later that year came after a couple strikes with Wellness Policy and creative having nothing for him.

2012- Number 14 was Jinder Mahal. How fitting.

Now obviously a bulk of the number 14 entrants having tragedy, been fired, injuries or fallen into obscurity is all a coincidence. WWE puts out the video every year with the Rumble stats that come from a pre-determined script each year so this list of real life facts and stats for number 14 isn't totally pointless!

One thing is for sure, if you read this, I am sure you will at least pay attention to who number 14 is next year!

2013 - Rey Mysterio. How hosed is he for this year? Rey looked like poo poo last night:he came in looking like he’s been eating at Jack In The Box all year, and botched so may things – including his drop on Jericho [you can see both men in extended bouts of pain ] and hurting himself on the apron’s edge before his elimination.

Is 2013 the year the WWE finally gets out of the Rey Mysterio business?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

It was just the layout, because the main door was below the stands, so they'd either have the most pathetically small stage in history, or videodoors.

They have used the full stage at MSG in the past. They just don't use that entrance across from the hard camera when they do.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Diabolik900 posted:

They have used the full stage at MSG in the past. They just don't use that entrance across from the hard camera when they do.

I think that entrance is gone now with the renovations they have been doing to the Garden.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Dead Snoopy posted:

Number 14 stuff

It doesn't seem like there are many real tragedies in here. Most of the guys seemed to have pretty average WWF/WCW careers, and a handful died young. I'm betting you could get similar results from analyzing other numbers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

It doesn't seem like there are many real tragedies in here. Most of the guys seemed to have pretty average WWF/WCW careers, and a handful died young. I'm betting you could get similar results from analyzing other numbers.

Also DDP is a goddamn saint doing what he is doing - helping Jake get tits.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah I don't get that #14 list at all. A lot of jobbers, some stars & Hall of Famers, I don't see any real trend

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Also DDP is a goddamn saint doing what he is doing - helping Jake get tits.

Yeah, I really don't get why he started the "unfortunate years" with the year DDP had the spot. Yes, his WWE career didn't last long after this, but the dude was already 45 at the time and had been a main eventer during one of the hottest periods in the business. Not many wrestlers can say that.

Mr_Zombie
Mar 27, 2011

What's with Nick Bockwinkel's eyes in the AWA documentary? He looks like he's wearing some kind of weird contact lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'll hear no Hercules bashing. Power and Glory was the poo poo. Made Paul Roma entertaining, of all people, and that's nutty.