Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
Did Elvis actually say that Andy Kaufman did the best impersonation of him? I have heard this my entire life but I can't find a single interview with Elvis or a solid source for where the rumor came from and yet every Kaufman/Wikipedia site claims it as fact. It's not that I don't believe Elvis would say that -- I would just like to know when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Dudebro posted:

I'm offended that no one quoted this and commented. This is :master:

It may seem cynical and pessimistic, but goddamn it's sadly accurate at its core. It's true, they don't really give a poo poo about the NPCs!
It's hard to care about the NPCs when you're not the party's absolute leader and thus cannot dictate what sort of prosocial quests you can do to help the NPCs. In computer RPGs, you decide every quest your party takes and you have the freedom of action to be as nice as you want, as if you were a superhero with a bunch of obedient sidekicks. In the real world, you're just one cog in the machine, forced to make compromises to keep your team together and foil enemy actions.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
What are the little rubber mats for in urinals?

I thought they were to prevent splashing, but they seem to cause more splashing. I hate them. Dudes just stand back further from the urinal and just get piss all over the floor. My only other thought is that they are there to prevent people from trying to flush gum or cigarette butts.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
If a person died in a highly irradiated area that was going to remain so for a long time, would their body decompose more slowly due to inability for bacteria/insects to survive there, or would it make little difference?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Baron Bifford posted:

My take on the WarGames scene is that the computers in the silo were rigged to immediately abort once the crew had done the final act of turning their keys.

Was the "turn your key sir" guy's .45 loaded with blanks too? or would he have wasted sir if sir hadn't have turned his key?

And if he's not going to turn his key anyway what good does shooting him do? Keep shooting his knees or something till he does it?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Experto Crede posted:

If a person died in a highly irradiated area that was going to remain so for a long time, would their body decompose more slowly due to inability for bacteria/insects to survive there, or would it make little difference?
A cadaver in a highly irradiated environment would decay more slowly by weathering and tissue breakdown rather than normal decomposition. We're talking a lot of radiation though. Simply being someplace with dangerously high radioactivity wouldn't do it. It'd have to be within close proximity to a very high intensity gamma source.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Ron Don Volante posted:

My taste for wine still hasn't progressed much beyond dessert wines, so that actually doesn't sound too bad. Are there any specific brands you'd recommend?

My favorite brand of any alcohol is "someone else bought it, I don't know." I don't drink very much though. My friend had this chocolate vodka that was pretty tasty, though.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

kolby posted:

Did Elvis actually say that Andy Kaufman did the best impersonation of him? I have heard this my entire life but I can't find a single interview with Elvis or a solid source for where the rumor came from and yet every Kaufman/Wikipedia site claims it as fact. It's not that I don't believe Elvis would say that -- I would just like to know when.

I tried to look this up once and couldn't trace the source. It seems to maybe come from a well-known Village Voice article from 1999. I found a later interview with Kaufman's brother saying the same thing. I haven't tracked down an interview with Elvis saying it. It does sound like something that Kaufman made up, as a goof. Bob Zmuda, his buddy and sidekick, has repeated the same claim, and may ultimately responsible for starting it.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

Wedemeyer posted:

It might help if you posted that particular picture as they might be a goon's pet. You can also try some reverse image search engines like google has, or tineye.

It's this one. I have been sitting here on my couch using my tablet to try to find this pictire. I've been refreshing the page for at least 20 minutes until it finally showed up. I felt like I had caught the shiny ponyta.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Is Obama more recognizable around the world in all demographics than a world famous soccer player like Ronaldo or Messi? I know there's no definitive answer, but it's interesting to get others' take on it.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

hooah posted:

My wife uses Outlook 2007 to read her AOL email, and it has recently started resetting the way it displays the list of email in the spam folder. She can reset the view settings and it looks the way she likes it, but when she opens Outlook again, it'll be back to some other way. Why is that setting not sticking?

If AOL is the preferred service that she is using (paying for?), lay it on their customer service.

If you need a 'view' of spam your email provider has failed you horribly.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

"Drill" was already covered above. Drills are generally made distinct from actual emergencies/orders for a lot of very good reasons. Mostly because actual emergencies require people to do things that are too dangerous (or too expensive) to do during routine drills. What you're describing is mostly a component of fiction. It'd be insanely dangerous to actually go all the way to the edge of releasing nuclear weapons and then stop on a routine basis.

Exactly, the point of a drill is training to do, without question.

If you had family drills with kids on how to react to a smoke alarm or whatever there would be a huge problem with the need to say "this is not a drill".

Sieg posted:

What are the little rubber mats for in urinals?

I thought they were to prevent splashing, but they seem to cause more splashing. I hate them. Dudes just stand back further from the urinal and just get piss all over the floor. My only other thought is that they are there to prevent people from trying to flush gum or cigarette butts.

Ahh the awesome GBS urinal thread.

It's there for ease of cleaning and/or fragrance. If you are being splashed by a urinal you are doing it wrong.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

If AOL is the preferred service that she is using (paying for?), lay it on their customer service.

If you need a 'view' of spam your email provider has failed you horribly.

She doesn't really need it, she just likes to make sure nothing important got in there, I think. And she's not paying for it, it's just been her personal email since forever, and she hates changes. Also, I don't see how Outlook resetting a view would somehow be AOL's fault.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

hooah posted:

She doesn't really need it, she just likes to make sure nothing important got in there, I think. And she's not paying for it, it's just been her personal email since forever, and she hates changes. Also, I don't see how Outlook resetting a view would somehow be AOL's fault.

True. I'm not an IMAP guru but I default to AOL as the problem when it comes to spam and 'different'.

My question is: Why is 'lunchable' a bad thing? I was curios after reading this thread but it seems the criticism is "for kids" and "processed meat". Is it just that it's processed poo poo marketed as healthy?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

My question is: Why is 'lunchable' a bad thing? I was curios after reading this thread but it seems the criticism is "for kids" and "processed meat". Is it just that it's processed poo poo marketed as healthy?

Also, given the relatively uncomplicated nature of putting any sort of food into a lunchbox with a cold pack, it seems like a bit of a lazy concept to begin with.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

True. I'm not an IMAP guru but I default to AOL as the problem when it comes to spam and 'different'.

It's no less healthy than any number of processed foods but it's marketed to children so grown-ups feel silly eating it in public.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm American, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom#Etymology_and_terminology feels like a very simplified explanation of what makes up the UK. It's a castrated empire; but it's an empire, with nations within it, and colonies, and territories, and states, and protectorates and poo poo, right? I thought I understood the definitions of 'UK,' 'Britain,' 'England,' and so on, but the wiki made me feel like I don't.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Mescal posted:

I'm American, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom#Etymology_and_terminology feels like a very simplified explanation of what makes up the UK. It's a castrated empire; but it's an empire, with nations within it, and colonies, and territories, and states, and protectorates and poo poo, right? I thought I understood the definitions of 'UK,' 'Britain,' 'England,' and so on, but the wiki made me feel like I don't.

Well:

You have The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, which is England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. As for the empire, that's been split into a few different sections these days which is a little confusing.

You have the Commonwealth of Nations, which is essentially (most of) the nations which were at one time under the British Empire e.g. India, Uganda. Within this, you have the Commonwealth Realms, which are those members of the Commonwealth of Nations who still recognise the authority of the crown, with Elizabeth II as their monarch, e.g. Canada, Australia.

You also have the Crown Dependencies, nations which are possessions of the crown, and not independent sovereign states. They do however have autonomous governments.

Finally you have the British Overseas Territories, once called the Crown Colonies. They are essentially the final pure remnants of the British Empire, foreign nations ruled directly from Westminster.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mescal posted:

I think it's time to post this one again:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mescal posted:

If the previous responses didn't clear it up for you, CGP Grey has this video explaining it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10

Also this one about Scotland joining Great Britain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3HnMLq8m9U

The history of the Union Jack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVZQapdkwLo

And the City of London:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrObZ_HZZUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ROpIKZe-c

And a bunch of other interesting stuff.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Is this enough of a scratch to confront my neighbor about being more careful opening up his car door or should I just suck it up and park further away from his car? It's assigned parking and I know it was the same guy.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

supersteve posted:

Is this enough of a scratch to confront my neighbor about being more careful opening up his car door or should I just suck it up and park further away from his car? It's assigned parking and I know it was the same guy.

Nice converse shoes. You might ask AI about buffing it out. Have you tried a spit shine? How deep are the scratches?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

brylcreem posted:

I think it's time to post this one again:

For some people, this awful Venn diagram only adds to the confusion. For example, it implies with the darker red region that there exist parts of the United Kingdom that are neither Great Britain nor Northern Ireland. The British Isles does include two major Channel Isles, so that's just plain wrong. It also implies with the large light blue area that there are British Isles other than the UK, Ireland, and the Crown Dependencies. In other words, there are two major areas of the diagram that are unlabeled empty sets, which is bad form.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Noni posted:

For some people, this awful Venn diagram only adds to the confusion. For example, it implies with the darker red region that there exist parts of the United Kingdom that are neither Great Britain nor Northern Ireland.

I'm not an expert on Venn diagrams, but it may be more helpful and clearer not to look at the regions but to look at the flags and country names, to see which greater regions they are a part of. Is there another way to draw this Venn diagram, such that it displays the same information without the empty sets you're talking about?

quote:

The British Isles does include two major Channel Isles, so that's just plain wrong.

Guernsey and Jersey, those two Channel Islands, are a part of the British Islands, but not the British Isles. Here's Wikipedia's explanation from their Channel Islands page:

quote:

Under the UK Interpretation Act 1978, the Channel Islands are deemed to be part of the British Islands,[24] not to be confused with the British Isles. For the purposes of the British Nationality Act 1981, the “British Islands” include the United Kingdom (Great Britain and Northern Ireland), the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, taken together, unless the context otherwise requires.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

supersteve posted:

I don't think a neighborly chat would be out of line. It's not horrible but you wouldn't want it to keep happening.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Nice converse shoes. You might ask AI about buffing it out. Have you tried a spit shine? How deep are the scratches?

Those don't look like they're through the clearcoat, so they should polish out ok, but I would still say something, it's just a matter of time until he dings it hard enough to get through the paint.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Etymology is the study of words and how they were formed and evolved over time. Is there a separate term for the study of phrases or does it just fall under etymology?

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Etymology is the study of words and how they were formed and evolved over time. Is there a separate term for the study of phrases or does it just fall under etymology?

"Phraseology". Seriously.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
I have recently noticed a few people who post on CL free and on Facebook free groups requesting old outdated computers, because they want to pull the gold out of them, presumably to sell and make some money. I was curious at how worthwhile this would be for an average person. How difficult is it to get the gold off of components, as an average person*, and how much gold do they get from an average computer?

They just seemed to come up out of nowhere lately, and it sounds like a lot of hassle for not that much reward. But I know nothing of the process. I barely know that there's gold in them thar old motherboards. Hell, maybe there isn't. I don't loving know. :sun:

*with no special technical know-how, as I imagine most people to be

**Edit- ok, I googled it like I should have done originally. So I see the information is there. BUT, I would like to let this post remain and see what kind of feedback anyone who actually does this might have. Like their personal experiences with doing it and opinions on whether it's worthwhile or not. If that's ok etc. Thanks. :)

when worlds collide fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 30, 2013

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

This is my bathroom window. As you can see, lots of people can see into it.

This hasn't been a problem for me because of the height of the window (about chest height) and therefore angles of viewing and the placement of my bits that people shouldn't be forced to see.

My girlfriend however isn't so fortunate and we'd like to find a way to stop people seeing in.

I don't want it to be permanent (like glass frosting paint) and I'd ideally like to be able to see out... I am wondering if there is some kind of polarising film that could be stuck to the window?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

ineptmule posted:

I don't want it to be permanent (like glass frosting paint) and I'd ideally like to be able to see out... I am wondering if there is some kind of polarising film that could be stuck to the window?

Yeah. There are a lot of things like that for car windows, so you should be able to find something you can cut to fit the panes.

Why not just hang a curtain or something?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I read something online a while back about what I assume is some sort of business meeting cliche/maxim. When everyone is going along with something because they don't want to be the voice of dissent, even though the majority of the group actually disagrees with the idea, the group is _____. "On the train to [place]"? The members are "on their way to [place]"? Something like that. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
When my Nana was younger, they had this way of looking at photographs. You'd take pictures normally and send them away, and when they came back they would be put image by image in a little plastic protector, and you would put the little images into a projector type thing. What were these called?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Robin Sparkles posted:

When my Nana was younger, they had this way of looking at photographs. You'd take pictures normally and send them away, and when they came back they would be put image by image in a little plastic protector, and you would put the little images into a projector type thing. What were these called?

slides?

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=622&q=slide+projector&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Edit: And congratulations, you've made me feel really, REALLY old.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

when worlds collide posted:

I have recently noticed a few people who post on CL free and on Facebook free groups requesting old outdated computers, because they want to pull the gold out of them, presumably to sell and make some money. I was curious at how worthwhile this would be for an average person. How difficult is it to get the gold off of components, as an average person*, and how much gold do they get from an average computer?

They just seemed to come up out of nowhere lately, and it sounds like a lot of hassle for not that much reward. But I know nothing of the process. I barely know that there's gold in them thar old motherboards. Hell, maybe there isn't. I don't loving know. :sun:

*with no special technical know-how, as I imagine most people to be

**Edit- ok, I googled it like I should have done originally. So I see the information is there. BUT, I would like to let this post remain and see what kind of feedback anyone who actually does this might have. Like their personal experiences with doing it and opinions on whether it's worthwhile or not. If that's ok etc. Thanks. :)

The cost of the chemicals combined with the labor involved and the time it takes makes it almost not worth messing with. After the 386 series computers the manufacturers got muuuuuuch better at the gold plating that they were doing. Now, old 70's era telecom equipment is loaded with gold, so they are still good, but modern computers aren't.

One of the hardest parts about the process is removing the gold from the base metal. Most people use a form of reverse electroplating. There's a company called "Shur" that makes a device that does it pretty well, but it just isn't worth the cost unless you have (literally) tons of the stuff and lots of free chemicals.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

helopticor posted:

I read something online a while back about what I assume is some sort of business meeting cliche/maxim. When everyone is going along with something because they don't want to be the voice of dissent, even though the majority of the group actually disagrees with the idea, the group is _____. "On the train to [place]"? The members are "on their way to [place]"? Something like that. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

road to Abilene

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abilene_paradox

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

I never would have remembered that name. Thanks!

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

That's it thanks - the word just escaped both of us!

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

With the whole new credit card surcharge thing (http://www.cnbc.com/id/100416464), I've been confused and was wondering if someone could answer this question.

I have an online company in California. I know we can't charge customers in California the surcharge but if we have a customer in Washington, could we charge the customer in Washington the surcharge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

ineptmule posted:

This is my bathroom window. As you can see, lots of people can see into it.

This hasn't been a problem for me because of the height of the window (about chest height) and therefore angles of viewing and the placement of my bits that people shouldn't be forced to see.

My girlfriend however isn't so fortunate and we'd like to find a way to stop people seeing in.

Cover up the bottom pane or bottom half with something - sit something on the sill or, hell, tape some paper across.
Should be high enough to cover your gf's chest (I assume boobs are the issue here) but still let you see the lovely view while pooping.
You can check by putting your eyes at the level of her chest and moving around the room. If you can't see a window, it can't see her chest.

Although honestly, with windows like that, it's not a huge deal IMO. Unless there are closer windows out-of-frame of your photo, it looks like only windows that look directly in are pretty far away. Look how small they are from here. Imagine if someone were inside one of those windows - do you really think you could make anything out? Or would you just see moving shapes, if anything?

People sometimes respond to this idea with a fear that someone is sneaking peaks with binocs, which I think is very unlikely, but maybe that's just me. Plus if someone's going to those lengths to see me naked, it's a little creepy but I don't really give a gently caress. IMO the big reason for curtains is to block light, and to prevent people from accidentally glimpsing your naked bod if you have a low-lying/highly-visible window.

This might not convince your girlfriend, but anyway I thought I'd weigh in on the argument for :effort: