Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

i barely GNU her! posted:

Am I the only person using FriendCaster instead of the official Facebook app?

I was, but switched when the "mostly native" official app launched. Friendcaster is better, but I actually get push notifications from the official app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

i barely GNU her! posted:

Am I the only person using FriendCaster instead of the official Facebook app?

I still use it. Although I'm contemplating giving the updated official facebook app a try.

Also, is there an alarm clock out there that will set the alarm time based upon where I am located? Like, if I'm in one place set it for 8am and if im in another place set it for 7am.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The trouble with third party Facebook apps is what shows up depends on how your friends have set their security settings.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm still having trouble with people telling me I'm cutting in and out when I'm calling them using GrooVe IP. I've messed around with the echo and mic gain settings a little, but that hasn't seemed to help. Are there any other settings I should try, or should I just move to another VoIP app (Viber? something else?)?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

My GrooveIP quality has varied a lot from day to day, without fiddling with settings. I suspect it's more a case of internet latency/speed than anything.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I should know this, but what's the best basic, free keyboard for a 2.3 device. No swiping or anything is really required. I tried Kii, which seems obvious, but it's got this bug on this thing where it takes about five seconds to pop up.

Honestly, default would do me if it had long-press symbols and better visibility on the long-press numbers.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 26, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

MikeJF posted:

I should know this, but what's the best basic, free keyboard for a 2.3 device. No swiping or anything is really required. I tried Kii, which seems obvious, but it's got this bug on this thing where it takes about five seconds to pop up.

Honestly, default would do me if it had long-press symbols and better visibility on the long-press numbers.

Look for a stock Gingerbread/ICS/Jellybean keyboard on the Market I guess? Keep in mind that if you're using a not-AOSP ROM there's a decent chance you don't have the AOSP keyboard available. (Also I don't even remember if you can use the ripped stock 4.x keyboards on the Market with 2.3.x ROMs.)

I'm partial to Hacker's Keyboard for that sort of thing, but it's far from basic.

Then again, I also paid for SwiftKey, and I tend to choose different IMEs for different tasks.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

MikeJF posted:

I should know this, but what's the best basic, free keyboard for a 2.3 device. No swiping or anything is really required.

SwiftKey Flow's is free during the beta.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

MikeJF posted:

try kii keyboard

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Studebaker Hawk posted:

try kii keyboard

That's a superb idea! I get behind this most whole-heartedly! Comeon MikeJF try Kii! Oh wait...

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Edit this is better for the phone thread

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 26, 2013

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

az jan jananam posted:

Edit this is better for the phone thread

I get this problem too on 4.1.1, at first I thought it was some iMessage fuckery but it happens to Blackberry and feature phone users too so I've just chalked it up to MMS being a piece of poop.

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
Okay, I have an odd problem.

When transferring music, some files appear to be mistagged, particularly to winamp. I get about a few songs under an "unknown artist" from different bands. Of course, they are properly tagged, and I re tagged them just in case to make sure all info was correct, I also deleted m3u files (if that does anything) and checked the properties of each, but winamp seems to choose a few songs at random, saying that there is no artist.

Also, when I test-edited one band to see if it was possible to fix tags by checking the properties, I know get the entire discography of the band mis-tagged, rather than the album I had messed with.

Is there some way to clear the music history cache or something? Ive never encountered a problem this particular before.
For the record, I have a rooted razr m on 4.1. Thanks in advance guys.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Speaking of listening apps, I've been using thread-recommended beyond pod for my podcast listening. But ever since I upgraded to jellybean, every podcast I download ends up in my google music app library, too. Anyone know if there's an option or fix for this?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Studebaker Hawk posted:

try kii keyboard

This advice was so good it actually traveled back in time.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Actually a 3-in-1 question:

* I do (or try to do) a far bit of writing and editing on my tablet. I'm not looking to do final drafts or detailed tweaking, just belt out a rough draft of something, maybe even just jot down some ideas, do an outline while I'm in a cafe or on transport and offline. And likely I will want to get the text/source out of that system and transfer it to something else later for the proper writing. What software would people recommend? I've tried GoogleDocs / Drive (you can mark a pre-existing document for use offline, but your can't create a document offline), Polaris Office (creates MSOffice docs and seemed a bit odd, couldn't select any text in the doc), OfficeSuite (also couldn't select and text, odd, also just MSOffice docs). It all seems more awkward than it should be. Are there better apps?

* Bought some music on Google Play and found it a real arse to actually get the physical music out. (Eventually installed Music Manager on my laptop and grabbed it from there.) Is there a simpler way?

* Maybe more of a hardware issue: I've been using jjComics and the PerfectVewer to read comics on the tablet and encountered an odd situation. The comic files are stored on a microsd card in the removable slot but if the tablet goes to sleep, the card seems to get unmounted and the apps say they can't find the next image file. Which is odd, there's no notifcation of the card unmounting and no other application complains. Has anyone seen this and is there a solution or explanation?

Technical details: Asus Transformer TF300 running 4.1.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I got a Nexus 10 and I love it. Mostly I plan to use it as a laptop replacement and forums browser along with reading huge gaming PDFs. I picked up EzPDF on the recommendations of this thread. Are there any other apps that you consider essential for tablet browsing.

Is there anything faster than EzPDF for browsing massive PDF files?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
What is the best email app that will work with online email hosting sites like saashost.net?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I got a Nexus 10 and I love it. Mostly I plan to use it as a laptop replacement and forums browser along with reading huge gaming PDFs. I picked up EzPDF on the recommendations of this thread. Are there any other apps that you consider essential for tablet browsing.

I actually find Aldiko better for large PDFs.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Glimm posted:

I actually find Aldiko better for large PDFs.

I just downloaded the free version and it was terrible. It wouldn't open up my Rogue Trader PDF past the first page.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I may be crazy, but I've actually found the mobile version of Adobe Reader to be the best PDF reader I've used on a phone...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I like Mantano reader. I've tried them all and its my favorite reader app. Repligo also for just PDFs, but mananto handles then very well too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/01/28/pushbullet-is-the-app-that-chrome-to-phone-should-have-been/

This is a kind of neat app. I downloaded it after reading the article and gave it a few tests.

I like how anything you download goes straight to the Download folder automatically set up on your SD card (or "SD card" partition of your Nexus). It's nice to not have yet another folder cluttering up my Gallery if I want a picture pushed over.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/01/28/pushbullet-is-the-app-that-chrome-to-phone-should-have-been/

This is a kind of neat app. I downloaded it after reading the article and gave it a few tests.

I like how anything you download goes straight to the Download folder automatically set up on your SD card (or "SD card" partition of your Nexus). It's nice to not have yet another folder cluttering up my Gallery if I want a picture pushed over.

Hey this is kinda neat. I've been looking for a no hassle push reminder thing and email just wasn't cutting it.

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002
Just an FYI... the update for Facebook Contact Sync has some sort of adware bundled with it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Has anyone played with Snap Pea yet? Looks like something similar to AirDroid but in a standalone program.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

fuzzi posted:

Just an FYI... the update for Facebook Contact Sync has some sort of adware bundled with it.

Link?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
Check your inboxes, Swiftkey Flow Beta just sent an update.

Download SwiftKey Flow Beta 4.0.0.76 for smartphones: http://bit.ly/skflowbeta3
Download SwiftKey Flow Beta 4.0.0.76 for tablets: http://bit.ly/skflowbetatab3

AppleCobbler fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 28, 2013

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GFjdHNzeW5jIl0.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is almost exactly my use case. I haven't found anything that's better than ezPDF for bigger PDFs. Perfect Viewer's PDF plugin does a passable job, though. Opens up big files, like scans, pretty quickly. I like ezPDF's layout a lot better, though. I just find it more intuitive. I tried Mantano on the recommendation of the thread, but I found it pretty opaque. I couldn't figure out how to shelve stuff, for one. This may or may not be because I'm a moron, though.

I haven't found any must-haves for the N10, just stuff I use already like Shortyz (crosswords), gReader, StarChart and SeriesGuide. Firefox is also really nice on the N10, if you already use the desktop version.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 28, 2013

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

Any recommendations for a good budget manager? I'm doing a ski season in France so am trying to be extremely cheap and figure that having some way of keeping track of my income and outcome would really help that!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Mr Owl posted:

Any recommendations for a good budget manager? I'm doing a ski season in France so am trying to be extremely cheap and figure that having some way of keeping track of my income and outcome would really help that!

YNAB? Kind of pricy especially since you need to pay for the mobile app, but it pays for itself really. Extremely cheap maybe Mint?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Mr Owl posted:

Mint is pretty great.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If you like something to keep using after the vacation, I'd suggest YNAB. It isn't that cheap, but worth it.

Be aware, it'll require manual transaction entering (altho you can import statements), which some people don't like. But what good is a budget, if everything's automated (e.g. mint.com) and you're not aware of your money flows.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Just discovered with CamScanner that if you have a .edu email address (hooray for free forwarding for life from my alma mater) they'll unlock you to the pro version for free.

Snapped a shot of my lunch receipt today, and had a nice clear PDF in Evernote lickety split. Seems pretty awesome, wish there was something like this 5 years ago when I was traveling 85% of the week and had to come up with an expense report every time I sneezed.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 29, 2013

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you like something to keep using after the vacation, I'd suggest YNAB. It isn't that cheap, but worth it.

Be aware, it'll require manual transaction entering (altho you can import statements), which some people don't like. But what good is a budget, if everything's automated (e.g. mint.com) and you're not aware of your money flows.

Yeah, that was my issue with Mint. I could avoid budgeting by never logging on. YNAB is pretty great and has a pretty good UI too.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
Is there anyway to actually download my google music purchases as mp3 files?

At the moment i have lots of music on google music (most of it is from scan and match, but some is purchased) and i have recently been using Zombies, run for when im out running (which owns)

However it only lets me choose music from playlists and for some reason google music playlists dont count (i don't know if this is googles fault or the app creators fault)

I am currently forced to use winamp to create playlists to use inside the app and that is a pain in the rear end. Is there anyway to easily download google music files to my phone? (as mp3s, not just offline playlists for the app) or should i stick to downloading my music from Amazon?

I also subscrube to spotify, which is where i listen to 95% of my music, i need music on my phone purely for running apps

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Google Music doesn't have an API yet (ETA: the end of time) so other apps can't access it.

You can download your music by visiting music.google.com in a desktop browser, selecting the song(s) you want, and using the Download option there.

Note: I think Google have some dumb limit on the number of times you can download stuff so you might want to check that first.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
There is a limit for downloading via a browser, the recommended way to do it is via the download tab of the Music Manager. It lets you download your full library or just the Free and Purchased songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

Google Music doesn't have an API yet (ETA: the end of time) so other apps can't access it.

You can download your music by visiting music.google.com in a desktop browser, selecting the song(s) you want, and using the Download option there.

Note: I think Google have some dumb limit on the number of times you can download stuff so you might want to check that first.

Google Music doesn't have an API? Last I checked, aren't there Google Music apps on iOS not made by Google? What's going on there? I might be mistaken though...

• Locked thread