Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Badass and feel good :)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hell yeah opening doors is loving sweet.

Predisposed
Jun 26, 2004

The next dreadful thing to a battle lost is a battle won.

Babe Magnet posted:

Hell yeah opening doors is loving sweet.

14-year-old schoolgirl and outspoken equal education rights advocate who was shot by the Taliban for being "pro-West" (among other points of contention), is recovering relatively quickly. According to medical officials at the British hospital she was transported to after her assassination attempt, Malala can now stand with assistance and communicate in writing.

Predisposed
Jun 26, 2004

The next dreadful thing to a battle lost is a battle won.
From today:

http://jezebel.com/5955314/14+year+old-girl-shot-by-taliban-is-speaking-shows-no-signs-of-brain-damage?tag=malala-yousafzai

"Malala Yousafzai, the 14-year-old Pakistani activist who was shot in the head by the Taliban for being an outspoken proponent of equal education while walking home from school, continues on her remarkable path to recovery, having finally regained the ability to speak."

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
gently caress yeah. Glad she's doing well.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A pair of young gentlemen enjoy a pleasant cycling tour through a picturesque town and the countryside. :wotwot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZJ1N050sVo

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A pair of young gentlemen enjoy a pleasant cycling tour through a picturesque town and the countryside. :wotwot:

I spent the entire time like this: :stare:

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Wasn't sure whether to post this in animal intelligence or here. Local newspaper just ran a story about a white-tail eagle killing a crow, before being chased the hell away by a murder of angry friends and family :black101:

Pretty badass, considering the white-tail eagle is over twice as big as a crow, and has been known to kill wild boars and deer.

As someone who has been attacked by crows for accidentally wandering too close to their nest, let me assure you that they are fiercely protective of each other, and they can and will gently caress you up.

Nastyman has a new favorite as of 16:48 on Jan 15, 2013

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
:wotwot:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Nastyman posted:

Wasn't sure whether to post this in animal intelligence or here. Local newspaper just ran a story about a white-tail eagle killing a crow, before being chased the hell away by a murder of angry friends and family :black101:

Pretty badass, considering the white-tail eagle is over twice as big as a crow, and has been known to kill wild boars and deer.

gently caress crows. I saw a murder chase off a tawny eagle from a zebra carcass in Zimbabwe a few years back. You aren't kidding that eagles will gently caress poo poo up, but a murder of crows could probably drive off a lion or two if they really wanted to.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

Men In Black budget cutbacks?

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Feed the birds, tuppence a bag...

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Sharks have been known to take other fish from fisherman's lines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmN6SRqmmmk

A real badass would've reeled in the shark too. :colbert:

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
Snakes on a plane... Just another day in Australia.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Reverse image search lead me to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wixsy8jWV6E

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The plane was flying from Australia to Papua New Guinea, so it most likely stopped over at some lovely strip before crossing the strait and that's where it boarded.

Sadly, that poor python died :(

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
He died but that motherfucker hung the gently caress on when a lesser mortal would have let go. His soul was surely sent to the reptile Valhalla.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

This is more crazy engineering than true badassery but just imagine how badass it would be to operate it.

This is the Marion 6360 aka The Captain. Note the front end loader underneath it.

It was the largest machine ever to move on land, weighing in at 15,000 tons.

A pickup truck, front end loader, and a man hanging out by its tracks.

Each of those track links weighed 3 tons.

12 men, one bucket and plenty of room to spare.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

I was going to say something about the infamous Bagger 288

but I went to Wikipedia to check the weight and that thing is heavier. :psyduck:

Edit: the Bagger is still larger though.

FirstPlayer has a new favorite as of 10:01 on Jan 17, 2013

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
The Washington State DOT taking the fight to those damned avalanches.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Here's the first one of these races I saw on youtube. You can hear the dude's brakes howling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ewLH0TVWkU

e. here's another. This guy's wearing a chest mount for the camera and you can hear his heartbeat during the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SybuQOke3TA

M42 has a new favorite as of 08:20 on Jan 18, 2013

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Detective Thompson posted:

The Washington State DOT taking the fight to those damned avalanches.

They also have a howitzer

Avalanche Control on May 4 by WSDOT, on Flickr

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Yeah, a lot of avalanche control is done with old cannons and recoilless rifles that are bought up surplus when they become obsolete. It's not just DOT-type groups that use them, there's plenty of ski resorts that have a howitzer or two tucked away. Old artillery seems pretty ideal for the job. The WSDOT with a tank was the first time I'd heard of that, though.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Detective Thompson posted:

Yeah, a lot of avalanche control is done with old cannons and recoilless rifles that are bought up surplus when they become obsolete. It's not just DOT-type groups that use them, there's plenty of ski resorts that have a howitzer or two tucked away. Old artillery seems pretty ideal for the job. The WSDOT with a tank was the first time I'd heard of that, though.

I can understand why they want to use artillery for the work, what I'm curious about however is the ensuing shrapnel that probably lies scattered all over the place after they've done the damage control, how do they deal with that?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Greggster posted:

I can understand why they want to use artillery for the work, what I'm curious about however is the ensuing shrapnel that probably lies scattered all over the place after they've done the damage control, how do they deal with that?

I would imagine it gets consumed by the avalanche?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Greggster posted:

I think they use shells that have plastic cases for avalanches.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Greggster posted:

Small price to pay for being allowed to blow the living gently caress out of things. :patriot:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
If you're interested, here's a paper on the use of artillery in avalanche control in the US.

http://arc.lib.montana.edu/snow-science/objects/ISSW-2004-012.pdf

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
There's a sewer fire in Omaha, Nebraska, and tower of flame are shooting out of the manhole covers:

(click for big)

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Brother Jonathan posted:

There's a sewer fire in Omaha, Nebraska, and tower of flame are shooting out of the manhole covers:

(click for big)

Haven't you seen Dantes Peak?

Days going to get a lot worse once the lakes turn to acid.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Haven't you seen Dantes Peak?

Days going to get a lot worse once the lakes turn to acid.

Grandma no! :ohdear:

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Brother Jonathan posted:

(click for big)

Wow that is wild.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

what is our obsession with building poo poo then burning it down!?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

We stole fire from the gods and refuse to let them forget it.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
I never knew these beasts got all four hooves off the ground:

(click for big)

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Brother Jonathan posted:

I never knew these beasts got all four hooves off the ground:

(click for big)

Maybe not many witnesses live long enough to report it?

ElCrims
Jan 29, 2013

M42 posted:

Badass bike dudes

Eventually, one of these guys will be old and decrepit, with a bad back and a bum knee. His grandson will come visit when cyberschool gets out, surly and annoyed because the old man smells funny and all he really wants to do is ride his bike with his friends. He'll speak his mind, too, as children are wont to do before they learn respect, and then Grandpa will pull this old, 2D, low-res footage from the cloud and show it to Little Jimmy. Young James will poo poo his loving pants because Jesus Christ that is so loving badass, and he will look upon the elderly gentleman with new-found respect, asking, "Will you teach me?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The impression I get is that she's trying to convey "I am humbly posing for this picture" but her body language can't help but say "Hey Taliban, I didn't hear no bell!"

• Locked thread