Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So here's what is apparently a set of new screenshots for Kamen Rider: Battride War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Glanced fast and saw 'Buttride War', which would've had me clammoring to import it just for shelf esthetics.

edit: I looked at the screens they attached, and they really don't sell the game too well. The 'action'y ones, didn't look very kinesthetic at all. It suggests that the animations are going to be wooden, and the postprocessing effects look phoned in.

5er fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 29, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 to have some brand new original story focused on a three-way war between the Straw Hats, Pirates, and the Marines.

I'm starting to get hype for this game now. I just got into Thriller Bark (HOLY poo poo WATER SEVEN WAS AWESOME) and now that I actually recognize a majority of the names and places people talk about RE: Pirate Warriors 1 I'm like "gently caress YEAH LETS DO THIS". Hopefully I'll be able to buy PW1 soon.

5er posted:

Glanced fast and saw 'Buttride War', which would've had me clammoring to import it just for shelf esthetics.

edit: I looked at the screens they attached, and they really don't sell the game too well. The 'action'y ones, didn't look very kinesthetic at all. It suggests that the animations are going to be wooden, and the postprocessing effects look phoned in.

People have claimed that the team behind Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Battle are behind this game, and if that's true then I'd give this a wide berth. They took a franchise that has a huge amount of potential for musou action and just squandered it in this bizarre format that fails to accurately represent the show, yet they somehow managed to get the boss fights perfectly. The video snippets make the game look... okay? We need longer videos to get a better idea though.

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
At this point, you might be better off just skipping Pirate Warriors 1 and waiting for PW2. The more I hear about PW2, the more I think it's going to fix a lot of the glaring issues with the first game and render it completely obsolete.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So I was wasting time on the internet and decided to look up info on the new officers. At one point I misspelled 'Jin' as 'Gin' and, well, this was the very first image I got:

:aaaaa::psyduck: That has to be a coincidence, right?

FAKE-EDIT: In case I'm not clear, Jin's uniform color is the same as Bombay Sapphire Gin.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

SirPhoebos posted:

So I was wasting time on the internet and decided to look up info on the new officers. At one point I misspelled 'Jin' as 'Gin' and, well, this was the very first image I got:

:aaaaa::psyduck: That has to be a coincidence, right?

FAKE-EDIT: In case I'm not clear, Jin's uniform color is the same as Bombay Sapphire Gin.

As far as coincidences go, that's pretty weak dude.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Pang De, Xu Huang, and Zhang Fe are the next three confirmed cast members in Dynasty Warriors 8. Scans coming soon???

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Yep. I wonder if they'll tone back on the prancing, mincing, stereotype poo poo with Zhang He to go with his way toned down look.

Zhang He

Xu Huang

Pang De

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Zhang He is one of my favorite characters and I hope they don't ever get rid of his fabulousness. It actually makes him unique from the other generals, who are all either pretty boys or gruff men (e: I guess some are girls, too). Not that there's anything wrong with either, but some flavour is nice now and again. :wink:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I think it's more that he used to have a bit of seriousness about him but they've ramped things up over the years to where he's constantly dancing and semi-singing and BEAUTYBEAUTYBEAUTY to the point where he's pretty much a complete parody of himself now. They just need to dial it back some.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

PureRok posted:

Zhang He is one of my favorite characters and I hope they don't ever get rid of his fabulousness. It actually makes him unique from the other generals, who are all either pretty boys or gruff men (e: I guess some are girls, too). Not that there's anything wrong with either, but some flavour is nice now and again. :wink:

Homicidal poncy esthetic-obsessed bishy guy (e.g., Vega from SF, Kojiro's treatement in Samurai Warriors- reaching back, Kuja from FFIX) is such a common cookie cutter personality shape for a Japanese video game character that I hardly feel he's all that unique of a snowflake.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

5er posted:

Homicidal poncy esthetic-obsessed bishy guy (e.g., Vega from SF, Kojiro's treatement in Samurai Warriors- reaching back, Kuja from FFIX) is such a common cookie cutter personality shape for a Japanese video game character that I hardly feel he's all that unique of a snowflake.

Yes, but he's unique within the series itself regardless of it's uniqueness without. Mellowing him would remove any personality he has within the series.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
There needs to be more of his 'quality', perhaps. Insight and such. It's odd, but I look at Yuan Shao's start cutscene back in DW4 where he gets Yuan Shao to do something rather than whine about it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

I'm starting to get hype for this game now. I just got into Thriller Bark (HOLY poo poo WATER SEVEN WAS AWESOME) and now that I actually recognize a majority of the names and places people talk about RE: Pirate Warriors 1 I'm like "gently caress YEAH LETS DO THIS". Hopefully I'll be able to buy PW1 soon.

If you're watching the anime series now would be a really good time to switch to the manga, the anime makes kind of a hash of an upcoming arc, which is basically the most important storyline in the series up to this point. Though I must admit, I have a hard time enjoying it quite as much without the music and voice acting.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

PureRok posted:

Yes, but he's unique within the series itself regardless of it's uniqueness without. Mellowing him would remove any personality he has within the series.

That's only assuming it is impossible to transplant him with a new, more amenable personality. If they swapped in yet another bishie-teenager-saves-ancient-China bullshit persona for him, that'd be far less palatable. Otherwise, I wouldn't consider it a great loss to see another boring 'blood is so pretty and so am I lol let's kill' character from the world, in general.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

If you're watching the anime series now would be a really good time to switch to the manga, the anime makes kind of a hash of an upcoming arc, which is basically the most important storyline in the series up to this point. Though I must admit, I have a hard time enjoying it quite as much without the music and voice acting.

I've been reading the manga the entire time, because all of my super anime friends told me up and down not to watch the anime.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

As far as coincidences go, that's pretty weak dude.

Well I thought it was interesting :smith:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

I've been reading the manga the entire time, because all of my super anime friends told me up and down not to watch the anime.

From your previous posts it looks like you're plowing through the manga. Thriller Bark was just kind of okay in my opinion but it's not as long and poo poo pretty much gets crazy from the end of it all the way through chapter 600 or so where PW1 ends.

Also, anyone who was disappointed in PW1 should go back and give it another chance. I thought I was done with it after I cleared the main story but decided to pick it up again a couple months later and it's a lot more fun that I gave it credit for. It's fun of neat little touches like having a special attack where Chopper pops three rumble balls and being able to equip coins that give players new equipment like the Climatact, the Kabuto, and Zoro's later swords.

The game is actually pretty fun when you get the hang of it and once you can put the platforming bullshit behind you.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

PureRok posted:

In what world does Zhang He not qualify as a "pretty boy" :confused:

At least he actually seems to be wearing real clothes this time.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Zhange He is a "fabulous boy" alright. It's totally different.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Anyone else feeling that Zhang He's character as a flamboyantly dressed pretty boy is slowly being taken away from him by a cast of characters becoming more and more pretty?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Policenaut posted:

Anyone else feeling that Zhang He's character as a flamboyantly dressed pretty boy is slowly being taken away from him by a cast of characters becoming more and more pretty?

What do you mean "slowly"? Ever since DW6 rolled out it's been an outright stampede. Just look at Yuan Shao for an example.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Chachi posted:

What do you mean "slowly"? Ever since DW6 rolled out it's been an outright stampede. Just look at Yuan Shao for an example.

I dunno it kinda felt like it just creeped up on me all of a sudden. Like I took a look around and realized like 9/10ths of Jin look like they belong on Ancient Chinese Vogue and like some dudes are reciting poetry and I'm now just realizing holy poo poo what is Zhang He going to do if Koei suddenly decides to transform Han Dang into like a 20 something silk-wearing Confucian poet.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Policenaut posted:

I dunno it kinda felt like it just creeped up on me all of a sudden. Like I took a look around and realized like 9/10ths of Jin look like they belong on Ancient Chinese Vogue and like some dudes are reciting poetry and I'm now just realizing holy poo poo what is Zhang He going to do if Koei suddenly decides to transform Han Dang into like a 20 something silk-wearing Confucian poet.

Have him dance and prance around like usual? :confused: As pretty as everyone gets no one else actually behaves like Zhang He does. It's still a pretty distinctive character trait.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The GIG posted:

Have him dance and prance around like usual? :confused: As pretty as everyone gets no one else actually behaves like Zhang He does. It's still a pretty distinctive character trait.

I guess you're right about that, although now that you mention it after DW7 I wouldn't mind seeing Xiahou Yuan dance. That was funny as hell.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Policenaut posted:

I guess you're right about that, although now that you mention it after DW7 I wouldn't mind seeing Xiahou Yuan dance. That was funny as hell.

I really hope we get more interactions between those two, because they really were hilarious together. And since they're fleshing out Jin more they should give us more interaction between the Jin cast and Wei, mostly because things like Guo Huai's admiration for Yuan and Deng Ai's loyalty to Sima Yi sort of ring hollow when they don't really interact.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

The GIG posted:

I really hope we get more interactions between those two, because they really were hilarious together. And since they're fleshing out Jin more they should give us more interaction between the Jin cast and Wei, mostly because things like Guo Huai's admiration for Yuan and Deng Ai's loyalty to Sima Yi sort of ring hollow when they don't really interact.
Wasn't Zhang He's one playable appearance in 7 "For Xiahou Yuan!" at Mt. Dingjun? Admiration for Yuan's a bit of a running theme in 7.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Policenaut posted:

Zhang He always had that creeper mccreepy aspect going for him that I didn't just associate him in the standard 'pretty boy' vein that the characters you cite adequately fill. The personality disparity made the difference for me.

edit: all that being said, I wouldn't trade anything for the loving bizarre and entertaining 'friend' dynamic he has going in 7 with Xiaohou Yuan.

double edit: :respek:Chortles

5er fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 30, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

5er posted:

edit: all that being said, I wouldn't trade anything for the loving bizarre and entertaining 'friend' dynamic he has going in 7 with Xiaohou Yuan.

Didn't he have some of that going on in 6? I remember that back before, the fandom in Japan mainly seemed to associate him with Sima Yi...

Incidentally, I believe that 7 is also the first to acknowledge that the Xiahou cousins (Dun and Yuan) are Cao Cao's cousins? (Cao Cao's father was Xiahou Song, who was adopted into the Cao clan and became Cao Song.)

Also learned over the weekend that Zhenji isn't a given name but rather "Lady Zhen" -- while the Chinese localizations of the games despite using the Japanese voice track that calls her that (as Shinki) use some of her folklore names such as Zhen Mi or Zhen Luo.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

5er posted:

Zhang He always had that creeper mccreepy aspect going for him that I didn't just associate him in the standard 'pretty boy' vein that the characters you cite adequately fill. The personality disparity made the difference for me.

Well he was basically in the style of Vega from Street Fighter or Yuda from Fist of the North Star although nowhere near as sadistic... and then somewhere along the line that got repeatedly watered down until he's a prancing sing-song fop who wears butterfly wings.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Chortles posted:

Incidentally, I believe that 7 is also the first to acknowledge that the Xiahou cousins (Dun and Yuan) are Cao Cao's cousins? (Cao Cao's father was Xiahou Song, who was adopted into the Cao clan and became Cao Song.)

I think it was 6 when Xiahou Dun started constantly calling Cao Cao "cousin", but it could even have been 5.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Yeah, I remember a scene in one Wei stage in DW5 where Zhang He destroys a catapult by corkscrewing through it (:psyduck: ) and then Simy Yi wanders up and talks to him about it.

Cao Cao's relationship to Dun and Yuan is mentioned in passing in earlier titles, but I think DW7 is the first game that bothers to explain it.

EDIT: My favorite Zhang He scene is probably when he's got Ma Su surrounded at Mt. Dingjun in DW4. He's still got the elegance schtick, but he doesn't sound like Yuri Lowenthal doing an insulting impersonation of the character and his dialogue is more violent metaphor than "oh my gosh I'm so beautiful".

Chachi fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 30, 2013

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
Zhang He's a better character when they make him more than just fabulous, and show him competent as hell as I believe he is in the novel and in history(is he even really fabulous in the novel?)

Of course, this pretty much goes for any character, it's just the problem of having a million and one characters - it's really hard to flesh them out with so little screen time and without stepping on another guy's archetype.

How do you really make Pang De and Xu Huang different?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Zhang He's a better character when they make him more than just fabulous, and show him competent as hell as I believe he is in the novel and in history(is he even really fabulous in the novel?)

Of course, this pretty much goes for any character, it's just the problem of having a million and one characters - it's really hard to flesh them out with so little screen time and without stepping on another guy's archetype.

Zhang He (like most Wei people) isn't really done anything with at all in the novel. He is just a general, I don't think he has any personality at all. The closest they get is when Zhuge Liang springs an ambush on him thinking he was Sima Yi and saying he caught a slug.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Zhang He was definitely a tough customer. He was one of the Five Generals of Wei, noted for his leadership ability and his talent for adapting to rapidly changing battlefield conditions. Even Zhuge Liang was wary of this resourcefulness and famously described Zhang He as "valorous beyond compare". He went toe-to-toe with Zhang "Everyone in Wu is afraid of this man" Liao and fought him to a standstill. Not really what I would call the attributes and exploits of a useless dandy.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

After the burning of Wuchao, Zhang He offered that he and Gao Lan lead a relief force (to Wuchao) and correctly intuited that Cao Cao would have left a defense at his own main camp, but advisor Guo Tu disagreed so Yuan Shao sent Zhang He and Gao Lan with five thousand soldiers... however, after the return of the defeated army from Wuchao (both the defeated relief force under someone else and I guess the troops from Wuchao) Guo Tu promptly covered his rear end by accusing Zhang He and Gao Lan of secretly wanting to defect and using Yuan Shao's order to attack Cao Cao's main camp as the opportunity -- which caused Gao Lan and Zhang He to defect for real!

Gao Lan posted:

Our lord has allowed someone to malign us and say we have been bought by Cao Cao. What is the sense in our sitting still and awaiting destruction? Rather let us surrender to Cao Cao in reality and save our lives.
Zhang He agreed, and so Cao Cao accepted despite Xiahou Dun's suspicion.

From there he's the second guy to intercept Zhao Yun at Changban and actually causes Zhao Yun to flee right into a pit trap* (only for Zhao Yun's horse to escape it and spook Zhang He into breaking off the pursuit), after Chibi he shows up as an archery contestant who gets a bulleye while turning backwards in his saddle, and then years later after Mt. Dingjun, his warning to Sima Yi of a possible ambush by Zhuge Liang is overruled and results in his death.

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

This is the problem with continued DW installments -- and if you ask me, we ran into this as early as DW4!

I don't believe that the Samurai Warriors series would be that far off if they keep it going for as long, but it helps that they started with a far smaller cast.

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Simple: Huang Gai gets to beat people with a canoe? Pang De should be beating people with a coffin and declare as his main line: "I'm coming back with my coffin or in it!"

* Even in the novel, everyone else except Zhang He at Changban was quickly defeated, routed or couldn't catch up -- Zhang He stalemated Zhao Yun long enough that Zhao Yun decided to flee rather than further risk Liu Shan's life.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Chortles posted:

This is the problem with continued DW installments -- and if you ask me, we ran into this as early as DW4!

I think it's more a problem with the Kingdom Mode approach to storytelling than the fact there's so many characters (though that plays a part too). With Kingdom Mode you're kind of locked in to doing one thing and you have a limited amount of focus to spread around between however many characters are in that particular faction so nobody really gets much an opportunity be expanded on beyond a spot on the personality checklist.

Going back to individual 5 or 6 stage stories like DW3/5/6 and the Samurai Warriors games while playing a little loosely with history would maybe help that as would having characters actually jaw at one another during a stage. Granted the SW games have a way smaller cast but it's something they generally seem to do right in terms of giving characters at least a little more than their base personalities, even if it has to go completely off the rails in terms of actual history to do so. Hopefully what if stages and the fact that you get a choice of like three characters in every stage will help that a bit.

Suben fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 30, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

More stuff about One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 is coming out. The remaining Straw Hats (Usopp, Chopper, Robin, Franky, and Brook) are confirmed, along with details about the Style Action feature and the brand new original story "Pirate's Log Mode".

Yeah, I think I'm gonna wait for Pirate Warriors 2 unless Pirate Warriors 1 goes on sale or something like it did in Europe. Both Euro Blu-ray and PSN digital are still $50 somehow :psyduck:

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 30, 2013

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I bought it on sale and it's really not a $50 game. The Musou-type levels and DLC challenges are fun, even though getting juggled around by all three admirals and a pair of Pacifistas can murder your will to play more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Amongst the DW, SW and Sengoku Basara series, are there any direct descendants that have taken mortal offense at some of the less kind depictions? I would think someone of the Naoe lineage would get pissed at Kanetsugu's rough handling in SB.