Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh THAT Brian Cox. I keep confusing him with the other Brian Cox.

The science one, not the first Hannibal Lecter.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howards Bellend
Aug 25, 2007

Mickolution posted:

As for Ince. I listened to that Radio show and some of his own podcasts and he's just so smug. On the podcast he'd be interviewing people and wouldn't even say who they were. It was like he just expected people to know who it was because he did.

What pisses me off most about him though is the whole creationism/evolution thing. Now, I'm no creationist, nor am I religious in any way whatsoever, but I hate the way he or Gervais treats anyone who doesn't agree with them as idiots. It's such an easy target for comedians who are usually (when performing live, anyway) talking to people who share the same views as them and talking about the subject just gives both audience/performer a sense of superiority. It's popped up a lot in comedy in the last 10 years and it's just really lazy and nowhere near as subversive as some people seem to think.

I completely agree with all of this, but what really annoys me is that they're all so angry about creationists, but then I've met literally one in my entire life, despite growing up in a large religious family and going to a religious school (I might have met some secret ones, but then if they don't go on about it who cares, really?). I kind of think creationists are to left wing comics what asylum seekers are to readers of the daily mail.

(Saying that, Christian protesters did stop Stewart Lee getting any money out Jerry Springer the Opera, and I know Richard Herring has had protesters, so I accept I could be completely wrong).

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Howards Bellend posted:

I completely agree with all of this, but what really annoys me is that they're all so angry about creationists, but then I've met literally one in my entire life, despite growing up in a large religious family and going to a religious school (I might have met some secret ones, but then if they don't go on about it who cares, really?). I kind of think creationists are to left wing comics what asylum seekers are to readers of the daily mail.

(Saying that, Christian protesters did stop Stewart Lee getting any money out Jerry Springer the Opera, and I know Richard Herring has had protesters, so I accept I could be completely wrong).

Exactly. I've listened to far more Athiests bang on about their beliefs and take offense at people not agreeing with them than I have religious people.

As for the Stewart Lee/Richard Herring thing, I disagree with the protesters, but who cares? The people who were protesting against them were a minority of religious people. People throwing up stuff like that as a reason to dislike Christians is petty and childish.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with British TV really, does it? :)

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

concerned mom posted:

Oh man Top Gear was so good. That P45 segment was the funniest thing I've seen on Top Gear in a long time.

Segments like the P45 are fantastic. I loved the Dragon's Den bit.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, I don't think it's coincidence that one of the best recent episodes of Top Gear was lacking in most of the stuff people hate Clarkson for.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Black Mirror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF_kZKVppw0

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, I don't think it's coincidence that one of the best recent episodes of Top Gear was lacking in most of the stuff people hate Clarkson for.

I don't think that has anything to do with it. Many segments which have lacked Clarksonisms have been awful like the electric car or stretch limos, yet the Reliant Robin segment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8 was one of the best they've done in years and it was basically one long pisstake of Northerners.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

twoot posted:

I don't think that has anything to do with it. Many segments which have lacked Clarksonisms have been awful like the electric car or stretch limos, yet the Reliant Robin segment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8 was one of the best they've done in years and it was basically one long pisstake of Northerners.

Yeah, but you could have an entire segment of Miranda Hart gurning for the camera, if you set it in a permanently-rolling Reliant Robin it'll still be funny.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

VogeGandire posted:

And if there's no having-controversial-view-for-money, then there's no sniggering Hammond making shitter jokes about the controversial view.

They're all alright TV presenters when they're not being wankers. Usually the races and journeys they have mean they're focussed on not getting lost or crashing, so they're really enjoyable.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, but you could have an entire segment of Miranda Hart gurning for the camera, if you set it in a permanently-rolling Reliant Robin it'll still be funny.

Especially if it's into the Grand Canyon.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The funniest thing Top Gear ever did was during the Reliant Robin segment, where he drives the Robin into a garage's inspection pit. It's a lot funnier than it should by rights be.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Ripper Street's got a second series.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jan/29/ripper-street-second-series

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Mickolution posted:

Exactly. I've listened to far more Athiests bang on about their beliefs and take offense at people not agreeing with them than I have religious people.

As for the Stewart Lee/Richard Herring thing, I disagree with the protesters, but who cares? The people who were protesting against them were a minority of religious people. People throwing up stuff like that as a reason to dislike Christians is petty and childish.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with British TV really, does it? :)

The difference is that atheists don't have beliefs. Stop saying that we do.

Edit: also a few pissed off Christians can and do have a lot of sway. Which is irritating

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
:allears: My Mad Fat Diary :allears:

I'm in love.

I love it. I don't care if it is blatantly aimed at nostalging my age group, I love looking at the fashions, cars and even the food labels from 16 years ago (they have done their research). I shamelessly wallow in it.

I love that there are situations she gets put in that I can remember happening to me. It is the most realistic sort of teenage drama I have seen and the storylines are handled really well.

I love Rae and the actress who plays her. She is actually 24 but she does a great teenage turn.

Ah, the awkwardness of teenagerness.

I love it, and you should too.

Superb Owls
Nov 3, 2012
I'm trying to get into the works of Adam Curtis (Thanks to Screenwipe) and I'm wondering on which Documentary of his to start off with? Which documentary showcases the best of what he can do?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Superb Owls posted:

I'm trying to get into the works of Adam Curtis (Thanks to Screenwipe) and I'm wondering on which Documentary of his to start off with? Which documentary showcases the best of what he can do?

His latest one All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace is probably his most refined. I've found that some of his earlier ones can be a bit all over the place, which is alright if you are already into them but could be hard to start with.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
The Power of Nightmares and The Century of the Self are two of his best. I found some of the early, more self-contained strands like Pandora's Box and The Living Dead a bit harder to get through, there was less of a hook to them.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Superb Owls posted:

The Century of The Self is awfully good, all about how psychoanalysis is used by business and government. The Power of Nightmares is also very interesting, all about both Christian and Islamic fundamentalism (it's a bit bleak in places, and might be a bit out of date, it's almost a decade old).

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
The Mayfair set is pretty interesting to watch now. Quite a lot in it I had genuinely no idea about before or half remembered bits from the news when I was young.

Ep. 1: Who Pays Wins
"The opening episode, Who Pays Wins, focuses on Colonel David Stirling." (<--Guy who helped start the SAS and basically helped start the Britain as arms dealer to the Saudis. Also got http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adnan_Khashoggi his first gig.)

Ep. 2: Entrepreneur Spelt S.P.I.V.
"The rise of Jim Slater who became famous for writing an investment column in The Sunday Telegraph under the nom de plume of The Capitalist." (About assets strippers and the power of the markets and pension funds)

Ep. 3: Destroy the Technostructure
"This episode recounts the story of how James Goldsmith became one of the richest men in the world." (Zac Goldsmith & Jemima Khan's dad.)

Ep. 4: Twilight of the Dogs
"By the 1980s, the day of the buccaneering tycoons was over. Tiny Rowland, James Goldsmith, and Mohamed Al-Fayed were the only ones who were not finished." (Harrods)

Domalom fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 29, 2013

CydonianKnight
May 7, 2007

What do you want? Toothpaste in my eye!
Catchphrase is on the cusp of being resurrected. Hooray!

http://worldscreen.com/worldscreenings/search/?share=1&searchKeywords=phrase&datasearchKeywords=phrase

Except the host for the pilot is Stephen Mulhern.

The new graphics are pretty good though.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

thehustler posted:

The difference is that atheists don't have beliefs. Stop saying that we do.

Edit: also a few pissed off Christians can and do have a lot of sway. Which is irritating

You know what I meant :)

Superb Owls posted:

Power of Nightmares is my favourite of his. I love all of his stuff I've seen, but I think that's the most focused and to the point. I really liked All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace, but thought it meandered a bit. Same with The Trap. I remember really liking Century of the Self, but it's been a long time since I saw it and can't really remember it too well.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

CydonianKnight posted:

http://worldscreen.com/worldscreenings/search/?share=1&searchKeywords=phrase&datasearchKeywords=phrase

I like Stephen Mulhern but I don't know how good he's going to be as a gameshow host.

Mr Chips has put the fear in me though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, the new Thingy Wipe starts on Thursday. 10 o'clock I think.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
At about 5 second, a woman leans on her pedestal/scoreboard/buzzer thing, and it looks like it's about to fall over. Things like that amuse me.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

CydonianKnight posted:

A mate said he got roped into seeing this while queueing for another show, and apparently it's not very good. But I doubt he'd be a fan of the original, so there you go.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Live more. Connect more. Travel more. Fitter. Happier. More productive. Comfortable, not drinking too much...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CydonianKnight posted:

Everything about this looks awful, including the horrendous graphics.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Channel 4's live stream is total poo poo. The quality is appalling, don't ever use it. Good thing TVCatchup exists

Welp. This is never getting aired in America

Rarity fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 29, 2013

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
There must be something wrong with my cookies because every single time i've tried to watch channel 4 live it's thrown an error at me. I have no problems with BBC Iplayer or 4od though. :colbert:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Oh god. Oh god, Utopia no no no.

(Ofcom will be getting so many phone calls tomorrow.)

Irisi fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 29, 2013

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

CydonianKnight posted:

Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtM0-ZFwiNo

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

reality_groove posted:

The first four minutes of ep 3 of Utopia are going to be the most talked about 4 minutes of TV this year. Trust.
Holy gently caress you weren't kidding.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
drat, this is so hosed up :stare:

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Can't wait to see tomorrow's Daily Mail after this. Jeeeesus Christ.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Bozza posted:

Can't wait to see tomorrow's Daily Mail after this. Jeeeesus Christ.

I knew it would be bad when this episode started without the normal little sponsership clip from Nokia, but...

:stare:

(The actor playing Arby is fantastic though, isn't he?)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Another graphic violence warning :ohdear:

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
one word summary of Great British Menu so far:

CRINGE

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Holy poo poo. Yeah, that won't ever get shown in the states.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Still got pretty mixed feelings about Utopia. There's good ideas, but the endless slaughter is getting a bit tedious and the grand scheme is so grand that it's getting a bit comical. Mr. Rabbit's "chilling" backstory was a bit too much like something a teenager would write. Still going to continue watching and keep my fingers crossed for a good payoff...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Welp, looks like I'll be bombing through all of Utopia tomorrow, just to see what's so shocking.