Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

...so are we up to like three 675s purchased by AI in the past couple of weeks? :lol:

Wonder who's gonna lead the charge for the next round of CA bikes :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
Just found the pics from my second trackday a couple weeks ago. Why is it that when I'm on the bike, I feel like I'm leaned over and hanging off like a superhero, but in the pics, I just look kinda "meh"?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Just found the pics from my second trackday a couple weeks ago. Why is it that when I'm on the bike, I feel like I'm leaned over and hanging off like a superhero, but in the pics, I just look kinda "meh"?

It's because you can go so much faster and have much more confidence in the bike than you actually do. Its a realization that every track day enthusiast eventually gets to. Be thankful it only took you two days and a few pictures to see it :)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
It looks like you're sliding your butt off but not moving your upper body much. Gotta lean way over and forward and "kiss your mirrors".

Some people (ahem) will talk a lot about how body positioning doesn't matter but I find if I'm way leaned over properly I get more feel and am much more confident and in control, and able to make small corrections easier. Getting the knee down really helps a lot too as a gauge of what's happening.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

aventari posted:

Some people (ahem) will talk a lot about how body positioning doesn't matter but I find if I'm way leaned over properly I get more feel and am much more confident and in control, and able to make small corrections easier. Getting the knee down really helps a lot too as a gauge of what's happening.
Body positioning certainly matters. If you're new to the track it's not a bad idea to take a session or two to figure out what position feels comfortable to you. Beyond that, it shouldn't be of much concern until you've properly developed your other skills such as braking, corner exit/entry, throttle usage, etc etc.

It's hard to generalize stuff like this because everyone is going to be different. Some people will feel more comfortable and thus have a much easier time learning if they're hanging off like a monkey. For others it will be the complete opposite. As long as you're comfortable on the bike, don't worry about how the pictures look.

Here's two pictures from 2 local racers around here. Both have AMA experience (the former is retired; the latter will be racing DSB next year), both are WERA expert class, and both run near-identical lap times - ~0:57's at TGPR. I believe they've swapped the lap record back and forth a few times.

As you can see, two extremely different body positions but at the end of the day they achieve more-or-less the same result.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

-Inu- posted:

Body positioning certainly matters. If you're new to the track it's not a bad idea to take a session or two to figure out what position feels comfortable to you. Beyond that, it shouldn't be of much concern until you've properly developed your other skills such as braking, corner exit/entry, throttle usage, etc etc.

It's hard to generalize stuff like this because everyone is going to be different. Some people will feel more comfortable and thus have a much easier time learning if they're hanging off like a monkey. For others it will be the complete opposite. As long as you're comfortable on the bike, don't worry about how the pictures look.

Here's two pictures from 2 local racers around here. Both have AMA experience (the former is retired; the latter will be racing DSB next year), both are WERA expert class, and both run near-identical lap times - ~0:57's at TGPR. I believe they've swapped the lap record back and forth a few times.

As you can see, two extremely different body positions but at the end of the day they achieve more-or-less the same result.

Er... two extremely different body compositions as well. The guy on the top picture looks much heavier than the guy on the bottom picture :cheers:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Yep. Different heights and weights by quite a large margin. Another reason why there isn't an end-all-be-all answer to BP :)

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

aventari posted:

It looks like you're sliding your butt off but not moving your upper body much. Gotta lean way over and forward and "kiss your mirrors".

That's what really gets me about my pictures. On the bike, I'm absolutely sure that my upper body is WAY off the bike, my hips are rotated out so my knee can go wide, and my weight is pushed forward with my head over the bars.

I see the photos, and in reality I'm barely doing any of that.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
At the next track day look for a control rider or someone fast and ask them to review your posture. Mount the bike and get their input on where you should be. Read up on it too, lots of advice out there.

Repeating whats already been said, it's ultimately a personal preference thing. Just get input from people who've been through it already.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
so i've started looking for another ex250. borrowed one to race at the last CMRA round, and i had forgotten how stupid fun they were. and also, i had my first crash. lost all brake pressure, then regained full brake pressure. tucked the front, hit the ground, and slid.

before

after

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Host the images on imgur so we can see them

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
oops, sorry about that.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Anyone use the Bazzaz system for fuel control, quick shifter and traction control?

My 2007 GSXR 600 currently has a Yoshimura EM-Pro ECU w/ Quickshifter & Bar map controller mounted up to a Yosh factory racing harness.

It came this way when I got it, and it's a nice system (really nice quick shifter too), but its a closed loop tuning system so you have to dyno it, then plug in, read the map, make changes based off what you see, and then do another run, making tuning a hassle. Because of this the PO put a PowerCommander in line to do easy fuel tuning.

The whole system works fine but I'm thinking I could sell off the Yosh ECU, Quickshifter and Power commander and with the money I get from that easily afford a Bazzaz system with Quickshifter & Traction Control and do it with one box.

Its $900 new for the Bazzaz ECU (though they come up used for $500-600 often around here)
$120 for the map and TC switch for the bars w/ pre-wired plug and go ends
$300 new for an optional auto-tuner, bungs & mounts extra (plus labor to get plugs put in the exhaust, probably skip this option)

Very tempted to pull the trigger on this so I have it ready for when it comes time to Dyno after I get my suspension back and finish painting the wheel sets.

Edit: I guess actually its not an ECU replacement so I'd have to source a stock ECU or piggy back the Bazzaz off the Yosh. Hrmm...

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 6, 2012

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
link to some of my pics from race day. i don't like dragging knee, hovering right above is more my style :)
http://studio819.smugmug.com/CMRA/11-10-12/250-1/26883792_XksJrc#!i=2253863013&k=MxCCPGq

bone stock ex250 my teammates picked up on craigslist for $700. the dude who bought my former ex250 gave them my old race bodywork. still looks like junk.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I just ordered a stock exhaust for my bike so I can ride Arizona Motorsports Park. Sound certification on the 26th, so hopefully the can and midpipe get here in time.
http://xceltrackdays.com/#tab_2
Year of the trackday it is.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
:250 pics:

Took mine to JGP for what is probably its last time. My friend got this neato picture:

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
I seemed to have made a little breakthrough with my riding since my last posts. Had a 3 hour session at Sepang yesterday and there weren't any first timers in our little group this time to lead around, plus it was not very crowded, so i had a chance to work on the basics/my confidence with some no-brake/light braking corner entry drills without getting in anyone's way.

I also met an aussie mech-type guy who was helping out/spannering for a friend of a friend and he recommended much lower tire pressures than i have been running. I admit i haven't really been paying much attention to pressures, i'd just set them at 30f/30r cold like i used to do and just ride at what i'd call a slow pace since i had no confidence to push the bike anyways. He had me adjust them to 34f/27r hot (supercorsa sc3 rear sc2 front) and the bike immediately felt much better and not like it was going tip over once i got to a certain lean angle. Stupid of me to not look into the tire pressures earlier, i guess when i got the MV i was just concentrating of getting used to the bike/back onto the track and since i never got any confidence to push it past a certain point i never go around to thinking about pressures. Looking back i think it's a good thing i wasn't willing to push past that "tip over" point/feeling since i might have binned it, i guess i should trust my senses even though they might be rusty.

So the corner entry drills went well and i'm now more comfortable on the bike at higher entry speeds and also being leant over more. There's alot more work to do but it's a start.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd potentially try lowering the front even farther. Most of the guys around here are running around 30/26 hot. Play with it and see what you think. Pirellis recommendations are 30-34F and 25-28r. I typically ran 30/26 on my SV and 600 and loved how they felt.

Glad you made the breakthrough! That always feels good, and yes, it's good to trust your feelings. Chances are that if you don't feel good about it, something is wrong.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Dunlop's tech info site is pretty good, with pressure recommendations for each compound, and wheel size ranges for each tire. http://dunlopracing.com/technical-info/ Note what they have to say about heat cycling.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Thanks for the tip Z3n, i'll try 32 hot at the front the next time. Yeah it's good to break through that barrier. I'll be skipping trackdays at Sepang for the next month or two and will bring the bike back to Singapore. I want to spend some quiet time running drills at the smaller local track just across the border.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Trackday this sunday at MSR Houston if anyone is interested, hosted by Fastline Motorcycle school. i can try to help out with the price as well. i have to get some practice in, race season is just around the corner, 2 weeks!

if you're around the Houston area and wanna check out and hang out the races, come on out. its definately an experience.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
Racing Question: Why does this guy put his foot down when he turns like it's a dirtbike?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOWUjO-fkvI

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
http://motomatters.com/opinion/2009/07/22/the_truth_behind_the_rossi_leg_wave.html

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Yeah, I know a few guys who have tried the leg dangle and said they liked how it felt. I'd say it's pretty similar to body positioning. At the end of the day it's best to do whatever makes you feel most comfortable on the bike. Most likely not going to have any significant impact on your ability to ride the bike one way or the other.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

That was an exciting finish. I think its also interesting how the guy in white and light blue was really really deliberate about how he put his leg out first before going into a turn, maybe it just helped him be consistent setting up his posture? Interesting to see big differences in riding style.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That was an exceptional bit of race video

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Spiffness posted:

That was an exceptional bit of race video

Seriously, that was an awesome finish

Does anyone have any more good racing video like this? It was quite entertaining?

this is an awesome video too, even though it's 'saloon cars' :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY5zdnGvT0c

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Not sure how many of you guys check AI on a regular basis so in the interest of more CA people seeing it.

Blaise started a thread on Minimoto/MiniGP motorcycle racing - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532900

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Here we go...

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

BlackMK4 posted:

Here we go...

It's February, it's just going to be cold and rainy all day. :colbert:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh, you poor PacNW people ;)
(No, I'm envious of you living up there - I want to move to Seattle)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Posting from AMP. Good news: got bumped to A group after second session. Bad news: Evan Steel from ESP has diagnosed me with a dead rod. Rear compression locked on me at 110mph while passing a R1.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Posting from AMP. Good news: got bumped to A group after second session. Bad news: Evan Steel from ESP has diagnosed me with a dead rod. Rear compression locked on me at 110mph while passing a R1.

Aww, lovely :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I kinda felt that something wasn't right with the motor for a while now, so it was to be expected. Sucks that it was so early on during the day and before I got to ride A. Got the bump to A while sitting on the crash truck with my bike :suicide: the way the bike died was very odd to me so we'll see when I get home and start tearing it apart. On the upside, the 09+ motors make more power... But multiple people at the track said that 675s don't hold together well in stock form when run hard on the track... Arrrrr.

Also, I'm pretty sure I've got it on video.

Also, also, I'm pretty sure this is the part where I end up buying a car and having a track bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I hear you need to keep the oil level high and they're otherwise solid. They also dont respond well to extended high rpm use but you should be shifting at around 13k when the power drops off anyways...I have a buddy who has raced one for 3 years, stock engine with the usual mods, no issues.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I added oil last night to make sure of that, but I was definitely revving it all the way out to 14k.

Checked and it's on video, I'll upload it later.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I added oil last night to make sure of that, but I was definitely revving it all the way out to 14k.

Checked and it's on video, I'll upload it later.

Aww, balls. That sucks. Post the video so we can share in the sadness :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://vimeo.com/59931372

Don't make fun of my lines :(

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

:( At least it chose to die without attempting to kill you too. This isn't the first time I've heard of a 675 motor letting go when pushed hard. If this was some sort of standard or cruiser I would understand, but it's designed to be ridden WOT at high RPM and boy racer rapid fire downshifting. There's a new Daytona for this year right? Sounds like a reason to upgrade.

Are they still pretty twitchy about noise at AMP? I remember reading that you had to go do a sound test before signing up for a track day there. Because your motorcycle is SOOOO much louder than the F-16's 100 yards away at luke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yea, they make you sound test (94dB) if your exhaust isn't stock; stock exhaust gets a provisional pass (what I did). There is a golf course right next to the track, the faces I got from golfers as I rolled into the track at 8am were hilarious. :lol: I'll be back with a new motor next month.

• Locked thread