Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hakkesshu posted:

No one is saying the game will be bad, but that the marketing actively makes it look bad and ultimately does the game no favours, especially if it turns out to be great. I don't think anyone here is being unreasonable about that, even if you don't agree.
Frankly I don't disagree with that, with some caveats. The audio in the latest trailer is bad, but the visuals still make me want to play the game. As I linked several posts ago, re-editing the same exact gameplay footage with audio befitting an Alien game does wonders to make it more palatable. And a bunch of the other trailers looked really, really cool, especially the Escape trailer and Survivor trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

What does it matter what metacritic score it will potentially get? I don't even know what you're trying to argue. No one is saying the game will be bad, but that the marketing actively makes it look bad and ultimately does the game no favours, especially if it turns out to be great. I don't think anyone here is being unreasonable about that, even if you don't agree.

All Xenomrph did was say that he thought people stating that the game looks like poo poo was hyperbole, and because of this Blacktoll then took it upon himself to call Xenomrph a prick and an rear end in a top hat.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
Trailer is crap but the gameplay footage looks really solid, which is a reversal of the usual order of things.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

MUFFlNS posted:

Yeah I'm disappointed that aliens seem to be total bullet sponges in the gameplay footage because I think that they would be much scarier as glass cannons. I'd much prefer aliens that die from less firepower but will also instantly kill you if they get close enough, no swipe of claws that lowers your health or anything like that, just instantly dead, game over.

One thing that bummed me out in the trailer is seeing the players hands wrestling with an alien in melee. I can't fathom why various developers keep trying to create some kind of human/alien melee combat system in these games at all. I really wish they would just revert to having the gameplay revolve around you instantly dying the second an alien got close enough, so that they were something to genuinely fear and the player had a reason to constantly be checking walls/ceilings and feeling tense.

I'm fine with there being a way to delay death if they choose to tackle you rather than slice and dice, but yeah, the marine shouldn't be winning that one without help. By help I mean somebody blowing holes in the alien and maybe or maybe not ruining the person's day with acid in the process. Kinda like left 4 dead, your armor will protect you from getting pulled down once or twice, but that third time you don't get back up.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 25, 2013

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Warbadger posted:

I'm fine with there being a way to delay death if they choose to tackle you rather than slice and dice, but yeah, the marine shouldn't be winning that one without help. By help I mean somebody blowing holes in the alien and maybe or maybe not ruining the person's day with acid in the process. Kinda like left 4 dead, your armor will protect you from getting pulled down once or twice, but that third time you don't get back up.
Incidentally we see exactly that happen in the Survival trailer. One of the player Marines gets picked up and is dangling helplessly in the Alien's grasp, and his other Marine buddies riddle the Alien with holes and save him.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Xenomrph posted:

Incidentally we see exactly that happen in the Survival trailer. One of the player Marines gets picked up and is dangling helplessly in the Alien's grasp, and his other Marine buddies riddle the Alien with holes and save him.

It will probably be ok in the survival mode, but im not too sure about the escape mode. It seems like it will suffer all the same problems of Left 4 Dead's versus mode.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
For what it's worth, the Extermination trailer shows off a marine dying from acid blood, and appears to suggest that outside of single-player, marines are largely hosed if they get in a wrestling match with an alien. 2-3 melee attacks appears to be the norm for how quick a human dies in multiplayer.

Also, who here likes blatant, product-advertising DLC? Cause' it's your lucky day:

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ChickenHeart posted:

For what it's worth, the Extermination trailer shows off a marine dying from acid blood, and appears to suggest that outside of single-player, marines are largely hosed if they get in a wrestling match with an alien. 2-3 melee attacks appears to be the norm for how quick a human dies in multiplayer.

Also, who here likes blatant, product-advertising DLC? Cause' it's your lucky day:

Why can't these companies do anything subtle and just put it on a trucker hat or something?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

ChickenHeart posted:

Surprised they aren't giving away an Aliens and Monster branded cooler with the special edition so even on the hottest summer days you can make sure your energy drinks of choice

stay

frosty.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

ColoradoCleric posted:

Why can't these companies do anything subtle and just put it on a trucker hat or something?

Because then they'd run the risk of people not seeing it. Yeah it'd fit better, but they paid to put their product in the game, and you're gonna see it whether you like it or not.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yodzilla posted:

Surprised they aren't giving away an Aliens and Monster branded cooler with the special edition so even on the hottest summer days you can make sure your energy drinks of choice

stay

frosty.
Holy poo poo, well played. :golfclap:

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

ChickenHeart posted:

Ah, perfect. I have a;ways wished I could relive the experiences of one of my favorite movies while advertising an energy drink and showing my implied love of extreme sports all at once. It's too bad they don't offer a monster energy flat brimmed cap instead of the helmet.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Padical posted:

Ah, perfect. I have a;ways wished I could relive the experiences of one of my favorite movies while advertising an energy drink and showing my implied love of extreme sports all at once. It's too bad they don't offer a monster energy flat brimmed cap instead of the helmet.

Honestly the cap on a grizzled smart gunner with wife beater armor would fit in a lot better but I guess slapping logos on the armor half assedly is much better.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

If that's an ingame decal for players, I will team kill and/or troll every mother fucker wearing it.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

ChickenHeart posted:

Great. Now all we need is Aliens who bleed Mountain Dew and then we're all set. Because that's totally in line with Aliens. Remember Drake's special Pepsi uniform?

I really wish companies didn't do this. It just reeks of cheap advertisement to me.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Archer666 posted:

I really wish companies didn't do this. It just reeks of cheap advertisement to me.

Maybe because it is hella cheap? I'm sure there are better, more subtle ways of placing ads. Even in a supposedly suspenseful game.

Then again, just having a few Monster Energy vending machines is probably considered too subtle for their target audience.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe that marine just really really REALLY likes Monster Energy?

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Considering the number of dudes I see every day with GIANT Monster decals on their trucks and even Monster tattoos, this is downright subtle in comparison.

divernb
Feb 15, 2012
The trailer really did nothing to excite me about the game. Graphically, I don't think it looks bad. Gameplay wise, it looks kind of dull, with little sense of urgency. Hopefully I'm wrong.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ChickenHeart posted:

People at my school wear Monster T-shirts and put Monster stickers on their laptop lids. I don't understand it, but there's clearly a market for putting that logo on everything.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Well they are corporate marines after all.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

happyhippy posted:

If that's an ingame decal for players, I will team kill and/or troll every mother fucker wearing it.

Guess he don't like the Monster, either.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 26, 2013

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Archer666 posted:

Because that's totally in line with Aliens. Remember Drake's special Pepsi uniform?

To be fair, Ripley and Bishop both wore Reeboks in 'Aliens', and there was a marketing tie-in for it.

They actually still make them today, in various colors and without the explicit 'Aliens' marketing tie-in.

Incidentally the Powerloader had a Caterpillar Construction logo on it.

Note: I am in no way condoning the Monster logo tie-in advertising; at least the product placement in 'Aliens' was halfway tasteful and subtle.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Don't forget that a velcro Reebok also saves the day at the end of the movie.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ripley: Here, try this, its a little Monster Energy™
Ripley hands the girl a can
Ripley: You're one brave kid Rebecca
Girl: W...weedlord
Ripley: What?
Girl: WeedlordXX420, my names WeedlordXX420..nobody calls me Rebecca except my brother.
The girl slams the rest of the can and kickflips back into the vents as she blasts the poo poo outta some aliens.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

zVxTeflon posted:

The girl slams the rest of the can and kickflips back into the vents as she blasts the poo poo outta some aliens.

Well poo poo I was on the fence but boom, preordered.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
The Xenomorph's true origins discovered; They were created in a Monster factory.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

ChickenHeart posted:

I will teamkill the gently caress out of anyone wearing this.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

zVxTeflon posted:

Ripley: Here, try this, its a little Monster Energy™
Ripley hands the girl a can
Ripley: You're one brave kid Rebecca
Girl: W...weedlord
Ripley: What?
Girl: WeedlordXX420, my names WeedlordXX420..nobody calls me Rebecca except my brother.

I'm still holding out to see if the WiiU version does alright at least.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Wild T posted:

Don't forget that a velcro Reebok also saves the day at the end of the movie.

Sorry but if I throw down my cash on shoes, I drat well expect them to be strong enough to stay on my feet no matter if a combination of a giant loving otherworldly monster and the vacuum of space are tugging on them like a bastard. :colbert:

Never buying Reebok again.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Hey goons, with Colonial Marines quickly approaching its release date, I'm thinking the old Goons vs. Predator Steamgroup could use a makeover, starting with the group's picture. I want your gooniest Aliens pics imaginable; bad costumes, terrible art, whatever will best convey the true message of goons pretending to be absolute badasses. So far I've only got this as a candidate:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Figure it's worth sharing, here's a scan of what happened when I got Lance Henriksen to sign my USCM Tech Manual at a showing of 'Aliens'. I'm linking it because of :nws: robo-penis (no seriously).

His reaction when I handed him the book to sign was awesome. He looked down at it, then back up at me, then back down at it, and started paging through it and said, "This is a real book? Holy poo poo, this is a real book. Holy poo poo."

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 28, 2013

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Lance Henriksen seems like he's pretty much the coolest dude. Although I'm curious as to how many fans' hands he's accidentally stabbed after they beg him to do the thing with the knife.

Edit: Come to think of it, if they put a knife hand minigame to cover loading screens, I'd buy this game so hard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wild T posted:

Lance Henriksen seems like he's pretty much the coolest dude. Although I'm curious as to how many fans' hands he's accidentally stabbed after they beg him to do the thing with the knife.

Edit: Come to think of it, if they put a knife hand minigame to cover loading screens, I'd buy this game so hard.

The DS game has a knife-hand minigame if I recall.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

http://i.imgur.com/YXAjyfE.jpg

GOONS!!! WE ARE EATING!!!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Xenomrph posted:

Figure it's worth sharing, here's a scan of what happened when I got Lance Henriksen to sign my USCM Tech Manual at a showing of 'Aliens'. I'm linking it because of :nws: robo-penis (no seriously).

His reaction when I handed him the book to sign was awesome. He looked down at it, then back up at me, then back down at it, and started paging through it and said, "This is a real book? Holy poo poo, this is a real book. Holy poo poo."

Your rampant fanboyism has annoyed me for ages, in a lowgrade sort of way. All is redeemed with this post.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ImpAtom posted:

The DS game has a knife-hand minigame if I recall.
It does, and here's a photo of Lance Henriksen playing it (not my photo).

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Does this usually happen? We are 2 weeks away from release and I feel like I barely know anything about the game. Does anyone know of any places that has gathered all of the information that has come out about the game?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Does this usually happen? We are 2 weeks away from release and I feel like I barely know anything about the game. Does anyone know of any places that has gathered all of the information that has come out about the game?

Actually this usually happens when games are sub-par, they put a huge media embargo on reviewers till release day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think the "Embargo = bad" thing is only really for movies, most releases these days seem to have review embargos up until the release day.

Not that this game doesn't look like a generic pile, but the embargo isn't that special.

• Locked thread