Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
The last two Football Weekly podcasts were really good again. Loved the whole sexism talk and I think Amy's been very good on the show lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Unfortunately today's is pretty annoying thanks to new boy Daniel Harris being an argumentative little poo poo with terrible opinions supported by a general lack of knowledge about what he's talking about.

More Michael Cox/Jonathan Wilson/David Conn/Philippe Auclair/Rafael Honigstein/Fernando Duarte please.

marcadia
Sep 13, 2005

Why is Jimbo so harsh to Sid Lowe all the time? Does he just not like La Liga or is there another reason? I thought Sid was going to snap at him again this week.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I haven't listened to this week's yet but everytime Jimbo & Sid talked I've never sensed any animosity? They sound like two good friends just messing with each other.

marcadia
Sep 13, 2005

There was an episode before Christmas where Sid called him out on his contemptuous attitude and how he felt that he was always ignored, I don't remember which one exactly though. Maybe they're just messing around as you say, it just sounds harsh to me.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I'm not sure about James Richarson and Sid either. I used to think they were friends who were messing around, but Jimbo puts the boot in quite a lot these days and sometimes when Sid's not even on the line. At first I thought it was a joke because why would Sid continue to do the podcast? But then I remembered they're all freelance football reporters so they'll do whatever as long as they're getting paid.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
ahahaha, i love the intro to this episode. The two ex-lawyers or whatever talking about their experiences and Barry just deadpan "I woke up in a cell once."

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Wirth1000 posted:

I haven't listened to this week's yet but everytime Jimbo & Sid talked I've never sensed any animosity? They sound like two good friends just messing with each other.

Really? I've always thought the atmosphere between them has been incredibly brittle.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

marcadia posted:

There was an episode before Christmas where Sid called him out on his contemptuous attitude and how he felt that he was always ignored, I don't remember which one exactly though. Maybe they're just messing around as you say, it just sounds harsh to me.

I remember that too, and for a few episodes after that things were a bit smoother.

If anybody has heard it, there's an old XFM where this happens with Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington. Gervais ends up apologising on set because the latter is clearly getting upset.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
It was around the time of the Real Oviedo thing, iirc. Jim and Barry were digging into Sid when the whole ep before getting him on the horn.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Barry is the best? Well, best after Jimbo. All those other guys are cool or whatever, but the chemistry with Jimbo and Barry takes the show to the next level.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
Philippe Auclair is blates the best but I'd rather go drinking with Barry Glendenning.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

marcadia posted:

Why is Jimbo so harsh to Sid Lowe all the time? Does he just not like La Liga or is there another reason? I thought Sid was going to snap at him again this week.

Imo a lot of it is because Richardson like to keep the show a) moving quickly and b) be at least as funny as it is informing. Lowe takes way longer to get his points across than the other pundits, many of whom essentially speak in sound bites, and he just isn't good at making jokes.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I’ve listened to both the Ramble and FW for years, it’s just become a bit of a habit now. I still find FW is the one I listen to as soon as it’s available and the Ramble usually gets listened to later on in the week. Both are easy to listen to (although Ronay, Steinberg and now Harris on FW constantly trying to invent narrative or boast controversial opinions starts to wear thin after a while) and unless Jimbo leaves or the Ramble gets really poo poo I’ll keep on listening.

I often find this time of the season I get a bit worn out on football; this season has been especially dull so far; and it seems that some of the pod pundits are feeling the similarly worn. Luckily for me the Six Nations starts and I focus on rugby for a month or so then come back to paying proper attention in March when the CL and title race are in full swing. Listening to how disaffected some of the journos seem to be I reckon they could do with taking a breather too.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Daniel Harris is terrible. It was quite good that Barney Ronay was on as someone willing to call him out on spouting cliched poo poo.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Raffles posted:

I’ve listened to both the Ramble and FW for years, it’s just become a bit of a habit now. I still find FW is the one I listen to as soon as it’s available and the Ramble usually gets listened to later on in the week. Both are easy to listen to (although Ronay, Steinberg and now Harris on FW constantly trying to invent narrative or boast controversial opinions starts to wear thin after a while) and unless Jimbo leaves or the Ramble gets really poo poo I’ll keep on listening.

I'd recommend The Game. I think it's better than FW these days. It can be a bit dry, but I like all of the contributors (I know some people don't like Tony Evans, but as a Liverpool fan, I think he's interesting) and Marcotti is good at getting a debate going.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
What would be people's ideal football podcast?

I want proper fans, not journos, who are at least reasonably articulate and funny. And I want it focused on basically the premier league only. Like the first 15 minutes of the ramble are always the best imo because they actually know the teams/players/managers well but it's nowhere near as good as it could be because they skip so much stuff to save time. Which they then spend later on talking about leagues where they clearly don't watch much outside of the odd Barcelona/Juventus/etc match and reading out old player profiles from wikipedia.

Basically I think I want the weeks best/funniest posts from TRP EPL thread read out in accents of the appropriate stereotype for an hour.

Bodzilla
Mar 11, 2007

Beep beep, motherf*cker!

Lot 49 posted:

Lowe takes way longer to get his points across than the other pundits

Indeed. Most of the time I'm fine with Dr. Sid, but sometimes it does get a bit grating when he starts to talk about a subject and then waffles on about irrelevant crap for 1 minute before actually getting to the matter at hand.
And this is post-edit, so god knows how long he was going on for.
Also it's possibly due to oversaturation, as he is probably on more shows than Jimbo throughout the year.

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I wonder if Messi phones up Ronaldo every weekend and goes, "listen

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

NZP posted:

I wonder if Messi phones up Ronaldo every weekend and goes, "listen

loving hell whenever sid lowe does this i want to stab him

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
When you hear Sid and Jimbo in the same room together, you can see that they all get on well. I'm pretty sure it's just Jimbo's indifferent act / Sid taking everything seriously.

Unrelated, my favorite was when they used to tack things on the end of Football weekly. One was them spending five minutes trying to call Sid and the other was Barry saying he lived upstairs from some Footballer's wife/girlfriend that he thought was hot.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 30, 2013

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
That new guy seemed to be the kind of a person who has a lot of theories about football but until now had no one to talk to about them. I mean what was that nonsense about a Boro player ruining goal celebrations for ever?

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
You can tell he's just some posh git who's used to having everybody bow down to his holy opinions. When he shouted out 'you mean that before they weren't happy?!' it was pure legal double speak intended to confuse the point rather than clarify his and the way Barney Ronay just battered it away like it was an errant fly was pure amazing.

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

I'll say it again, my dream team is Jimbo, Barry, Philippe Auclair and Rafa Honigstein. This actually happened a couple months ago. B-Team would probably have Amy Lawrence, Paolo Bandini and Steinberg on it.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012
Just listen to the football ramble

Howards Bellend
Aug 25, 2007

I like when Fernando Duarte says something vaguely un-PC.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The latest football weekly with barney ronay and his terrible opinions having a smug off about law firms with the new guy was terrible.

I genuinely like it most weeks but those two are awful. Glendenning seemed pretty bemused by the whole thing.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
I didn't think they could find someone else as insufferable as Ronay but they managed it.

Also I always thought Pete from the Ramble used toilet humour and told stories about getting drunk and buying pianos because he was playing a clown, but in reality he was quite smart. Listening to their Hazard vs. ball boy discussion has ended that delusion. The man's an idiot. I felt sorry for the other two hosts when every point they made was answered with him shouting "he's a footballer, he's paid to set a good example."

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Fernando Duarte, Amy Lawrence and Philippe Auclair would be my favourite combination of them. With Jimbo obviously.

Knoddus
Oct 30, 2007
Born in a crossfire hurricane

Lot 49 posted:

I didn't think they could find someone else as insufferable as Ronay but they managed it.

Also I always thought Pete from the Ramble used toilet humour and told stories about getting drunk and buying pianos because he was playing a clown, but in reality he was quite smart. Listening to their Hazard vs. ball boy discussion has ended that delusion. The man's an idiot. I felt sorry for the other two hosts when every point they made was answered with him shouting "he's a footballer, he's paid to set a good example."

Isn't this kind of overreacting? Wasn't he pretty much saying that both had acted like idiots, but Hazard has more responsibility and a "public image" or whatever to keep up, whereas the kid is, just that, a kid. Although a pretty stupid one. Adding to that, there's the massive support for Hazard, so it's not that strange that there are people who at least attempt to even out the idiot-scores between Hazard and the kid.

e: But I do agree that Pete was mostly saying the same thing over and over again.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sweek0 posted:

Fernando Duarte, Amy Lawrence and Philippe Auclair would be my favourite combination of them. With Jimbo obviously.

Even as an Arsenal supporter I find Amy dull, searching for narrative when there isn't any. Duarte sounds like he has short man syndrome and likes to get worked up over a little too much. Also, has he told you yet that he's Brazillian?

Personally I would go for Jimbo, Auclair, Wilson, and Cox in a Goals Are Overrated showdown.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Isn't amy a liverpool fan? I think she's good. Any way I actually think the rest of them are all generally good it's just ronay and that other guy who are annoying.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Jippa posted:

Isn't amy a liverpool fan?

Arsenal

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Ah fair enough. I remember she used to be on the times podcast if any one remembers that (with marcotti)?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jippa posted:

Ah fair enough. I remember she used to be on the times podcast if any one remembers that (with marcotti)?

That's Alison Rudd, she's a Liverpool fan.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Honigstein is definitely the best. Not the absolute most fun to listen to, not the absolute best analysis, but the best of both combined.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Honigstein is my favourite too.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Mickolution posted:

I'd recommend The Game. I think it's better than FW these days. It can be a bit dry, but I like all of the contributors (I know some people don't like Tony Evans, but as a Liverpool fan, I think he's interesting) and Marcotti is good at getting a debate going.

I like The Game a lot. Marcotti is really good at focusing discussion, not letting it drag into cliches.

Don't recall seeing it recommended here but have been listening to Off The Ball recently, it's a radio show uploaded same day from Ireland. The recordings tend to go for about an hour. The most recent from today: "Stewart Robson on Liam Brady and Arsenal, Murdo Mcleod on Neil Lennon, Tim Vickery on Liverpool signing, Marcotti on Classico" to give an idea

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, Off The Ball can be great. The podcast used to take ages to get uploaded so it was a little out of date. That was a long time ago though. I assume its better now? I don't really listen to the radio very much, but I'll used to listen to that if I was working late and will often tune in online if something big is going on. They used to repeat it later at night on tv here and it was great to just throw on when there was gently caress all else on. They really know their stuff on a lot of different sports.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, Off The Ball can be great. The podcast used to take ages to get uploaded so it was a little out of date. That was a long time ago though. I assume its better now?

Yeah, the podcasts go up very quickly now. I'm listening to the most recent and they made reference to Henderson's goal, then Giroud and Walcott scoring, and Marcotti made an appearance to talk about what had just happened during El Clasico (rather than a preview). The RSS is in my phone's podcast app as http://media.newstalk.ie/podcast_xml.php?id=8621

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Mickolution posted:

That's Alison Rudd, she's a Liverpool fan.

:doh: Well there you go.