Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

napster of meat
Nov 12, 2000

I think I might have figured out my Sleeper's Tomb problem. It might be the old Sleeper's, post-awakening and prior to the Ancients. The drop I got off MotG the other night is a Primal Velium spear, not an Ancient Prismatic. Woe to my bard's aspirations to be a dwarf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

napster of meat posted:

post-awakening and prior to the Ancients

No poo poo? Who wants to be 'that' group that kills all the warders :getin:

EDIT maybe not I'm retarded

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So has The Sleeper not been awakened on Test or something?

napster of meat
Nov 12, 2000

No, unless it's just straight busted and needs a zone reset, the Sleeper has been awakened and there are no Warders or Ancients. I've had an alt parked inside Kerafyrm's bubble for days and the only thing that's shown up is a bunch of bullshit golem and gargoyle trash that drops only spells and the three big golems who dropped only a single spear between them. None of the new quest mobs, drakes, spectres or any of the stuff on live is happening.

Rod Flanders
Dec 30, 2005

My hobbies include being quiet on long trips, clapping along with songs, and diabetes!
So my brother got the itch and convinced me to re-install this game. He has logged in and has already test copied himself to Test, and I will be soon. I haven't logged in in probably 4-5 years. I will be bringing a pretty full Anguish geared warrior (I have my 2.0) but I don't really remember much beyond that. Is there a place to go so I can read and get caught up on what I've missed? Items, skills, new zones etc?

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

Devor posted:

I've got a full set of the abstruse remnants on FV, so I can testcopy them over, but have no characters at 80 yet - do I need to be 80 to access the other junk that I need to make them? If not, I can help you out if you can provide the crafted piece and help point me at where to get the other stuff.\

Oh good, my gold lapsed and I didn't realize I couldn't log on the character with the remnants anymore since they weren't grandfathered in. You can get them at any level, I've made over a dozen sets for goons so far on level 25 guys.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Rod Flanders posted:

So my brother got the itch and convinced me to re-install this game. He has logged in and has already test copied himself to Test, and I will be soon. I haven't logged in in probably 4-5 years. I will be bringing a pretty full Anguish geared warrior (I have my 2.0) but I don't really remember much beyond that. Is there a place to go so I can read and get caught up on what I've missed? Items, skills, new zones etc?
Read up by clicking the name of an expansion on this page:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Expansions

There's soooooooo much to take in though, but that's part of EQ's charm.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
So I checked up on it and yeah, I was able to walk my level 2 Dark Elf dude to the vendor without much trouble. Probably helped that he wasn't kos to the level 10 lizards, but with a testbuffed 25 that wouldn't be an issue I guess.

But it seems like the more efficient way would just be:

Load up a mule on FV (make sure he's F2P race/class) with all the templates and the remnants
/testcopy him while he's next to the Agent vendor in Feerott Dream
Buy the 8 agents I need
Suicide back to PoK
Do the armor combines
Shove the results in shared bank/parcel
???
Profit

I think I could cover all the template costs with my cash on FV, but not that and the 64k to buy all the Agents, too. That would make it even easier, just yank the right stuff out of the bank.

Anyone happen to have a complete set of the agents and/or templates on FV that they'd care to donate?

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Agents are purchased from the vendors, it costs 17-20k per full set of abstruse when you include the containers. I can make you any plate/chain templates (and have a lot leftover even). I'm in game right now as Tappalai.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Dubious posted:

I'm a bit surprised that EQ hasn't reduced the number of bodies needed for raiding yet, seems most MMOs are 25 player or less these days.

This was a developer idea a couple of years ago, the majority of the EQ forums posters outright hated it. It basically died there.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I played my 70 SK around Omens of War and Dragons of Norrath. He didn't have the best gear, he has just over 10k hps. Is there gear out there he can wear better than that?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

revenance posted:

Agents are purchased from the vendors, it costs 17-20k per full set of abstruse when you include the containers. I can make you any plate/chain templates (and have a lot leftover even). I'm in game right now as Tappalai.

I assume you're on Test - copying over now with Devorremnant, I'll look you up now. I'm still aiming for at a minimum getting a set of the silk/leather/chain/plate templates on FV, so that all I have to do is get the agents. The agents are droppable on FV, so thought I'd give it a shot.

Edit:

Comfortador posted:

I played my 70 SK around Omens of War and Dragons of Norrath. He didn't have the best gear, he has just over 10k hps. Is there gear out there he can wear better than that?

Elegant defiant is probably the best you'd expect to get. Level 80 is the hot poo poo.

Edit again:

I just realized the way you phrased that the the container is going to be consumed by this? Goddammit

Devor fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 29, 2013

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Pilsner posted:

Can anyone (jetz0r?) shine light on the current raiding scene of EQ? Like, how many players does it require, how much time and dedicating, how hard is it? Would be fun to hear a little about it. Remember how high end raiding back in old EQ was only for a few guilds on the server? Yeah, I guess EQ hasn't moved in that aspect. :P

It depends what type of guild you're looking for, but I can tell you from experience what it is like to go from the lowest tier to the top. I created a new account in 2010, right before HoT was released and I quit right before RoF was released. I went from casual -> mid -> high end in that time.

There are a lot of casual raiding guilds, but you may bang your head in the wall with how bad a lot of people are. You can't really get annoyed with them because it's casual and most don't care about wiping all the time. Most people in these guilds will be rocking group gear and minimal AAs because attendance is usually not required. When you do down content, you'll find most people don't know what kind of gear they need for their class and will subsequently bid on things they shouldn't with their DKP.

There are quite a few decent mid-tier or "feeder" guilds, but you'll probably bang your head in the wall there as well (just not as much). I call the mid-tier guilds "feeder" guilds because with time, players in high end guilds retire and spaces open and the best players from mid-tier guilds fill in those voids. because of that, most mid-tier guilds are perpetually "stuck" as a mid-tier guild. Most are going to have a attendance policy, though still pretty lax. Like with casuals, you'll find people who don't understand their class and will bid on gear they shouldn't. Personal experience being a ranger bidding on a dagger over a rogue, rogue subsequently losing the DKP spend fest to the ranger, and then the next encounter a bow drops. I won that bow. It's sitting on the wall in my house right where I placed it after winning it. Yes I'm still bitter about that.

High end guilds are going to look at you with a lot of detail. My application period was very short, and during that time I was watched like a hawk to how I reacted to situations as well as audio triggers. I know for a fact when I transferred off Xegony to join a high end guild the officers talked to my old guilds officers about me. They didn't ask for parses up front, but I provided them anyway because I knew I'd eventually be asked for them. I had to create a magelo with all of my gear and my augs were scrutinized by the class leader. I also spent many, many, many hours camping old content for +str augs. You'll find that people in this level of game play won't bid on stupid poo poo they don't need and once things are on farm, your raid nights are < 2 hours a night a few times a week.

Out of all three of those, the high end guild was the best by far with respect to non-gameplay aspects. Everyone got along great, played other games together, helped others out, a bunch of them all went to Vegas together for the Fan Faire, etc. They were by far the most welcoming, friendly, and helpful.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dubious posted:

For anyone playing a paladin besides me (I think maybe one person?) I test copied over a near full set of Abstruse. I am missing wrists and legs though, so if anyone has the component to make the armor, I'd pay or something to get those slots. Or maybe someone would help camp for the no drop parts?

What's the name of your paladin? I can send two wrists and the legs over. Probably toss the rest of the set onto a bazaar alt for general consumption.

Edit: Assuming that Tapp can dig up a set of the templates for Devorremnant

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now

jetz0r posted:

For future reference, the best testcopy mules I've found are halfling wars/rogues in RV. Almost no running from spawn to bank to parcels.

You are a scholar and a gentleman

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

bacon! posted:

You are a scholar and a gentleman

Note that you need gold subscription for halflings. So if you load up an alt keep that in mind.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Devor posted:

I assume you're on Test - copying over now with Devorremnant, I'll look you up now. I'm still aiming for at a minimum getting a set of the silk/leather/chain/plate templates on FV, so that all I have to do is get the agents. The agents are droppable on FV, so thought I'd give it a shot.

Edit:

Elegant defiant is probably the best you'd expect to get. Level 80 is the hot poo poo.

Edit again:

I just realized the way you phrased that the the container is going to be consumed by this? Goddammit

And the agents are class specific, so you'd need 8 agents multipled by X number of classes and 8 containers per set of abstruse. Do it on test where there is so much plat being duped SOE will need a new server to handle the 1s and 0s.

Also was AFK, sorry! You can just PM me what you need if you're not doing it right now.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

The337th posted:

This was a developer idea a couple of years ago, the majority of the EQ forums posters outright hated it. It basically died there.

Sounds like EQ players all right.

By the way, how do you sort of perpetually create exp potions on Test? I thought that I knew how to go about copying and creating alts and so on to have a consistent supply of them (test exp is great, but more is always better), but I just tried it less than an hour ago and hosed it up somehow. Basically, when my level 1 cleric arrived on Test, he did not have the potions in claim or in inventory or in shared bank, etc.

I have a feeling that there is a subtlety to this mildly duplicitous process that I am missing.

Picnic Lunch
May 1, 2006

Damn tailgaters
Biscuit Hider

JustJeff88 posted:

Sounds like EQ players all right.

By the way, how do you sort of perpetually create exp potions on Test? I thought that I knew how to go about copying and creating alts and so on to have a consistent supply of them (test exp is great, but more is always better), but I just tried it less than an hour ago and hosed it up somehow. Basically, when my level 1 cleric arrived on Test, he did not have the potions in claim or in inventory or in shared bank, etc.

I have a feeling that there is a subtlety to this mildly duplicitous process that I am missing.

You have to remember to camp or zone before you testcopy. Your character doesn't get saved unless you do that for some reason.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Picnic Lunch posted:

You have to remember to camp or zone before you testcopy. Your character doesn't get saved unless you do that for some reason.

I remember hearing that; thank you for reminding me.

On another note, does anyone happen to have a set of Intricate (Nagy/Vox Defiant, basically) that they could send to Nylander for my baby enchanter? I have literally over 100 pieces of Elabourate Defiant on Luclin due to all of the places that I farmed around 70-80, but almost no Intricate and my enchanter is still wearing the Test bracers, for gently caress's sake. I am honestly not sure if I will level him up to 59 or more anytime soon, though I think that my 80 SK could swarm with him in group if I got him up to 53 - possibly 54, but no higher than that.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Devor posted:

What's the name of your paladin? I can send two wrists and the legs over. Probably toss the rest of the set onto a bazaar alt for general consumption.

Edit: Assuming that Tapp can dig up a set of the templates for Devorremnant

Ryanallene. And thanks!

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The337th posted:

Holy poo poo the EQ raiderbase is loving stupid then.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Dubious posted:

If current raids were anything like when I did EQ hardcore raiding, 10% of the guild does 90% of the work. In encounters designed for 25 where everyone has a role, people might actually have to carry some weight and that'd just be silly.

shaggy--
Nov 9, 2000
Hillary Clinton loves a winner!

revenance posted:

If current raids were anything like when I did EQ hardcore raiding, 10% of the guild does 90% of the work. In encounters designed for 25 where everyone has a role, people might actually have to carry some weight and that'd just be silly.

I was fun leading a horde of 70+ people to fight in massive battles. Some people just can't let the good times go.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The337th posted:

They had 36 man or maybe it was 24 man "hard-mode" raids during SoD and 12 or 18 man things during anniversary revamps. The 12 man stuff people just boxed and the hard mode raids people bitched about because half their raiding roster had to warm the bench. So that was the end of that.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Dubious posted:

Everyone had rosters of 54, and suddenly half the raids want 36? You have to bench half your people for half the raids that expansion? That's super lovely for a guild to deal with. But it's not quite half where you can easily split raid without recruiting a couple more groups that wouldn't be able to join in on the 54 slot raids.

Large scale raiding is what EQ has going for it in uniqueness. A 54 person raid feels a hell of a lot different than a 12-18 person raid.

But there are smaller scale raids snuck in from time to time. There's a handful of raids that would offer upgrades to max level non-casters that can be beaten with 6-18 group geared players.

Focus decay fucks over the whole back-raiding for upgrades for casters and priests.

quote:

VoA did this with a few raids. Pillars was the worst. It split the raid into 4 trials and required certain classes in each trial. So if your guild did not have enough good players of certain classes, the raid was almost impossible. Then there were a few raids with emotes that when failed punished the whole raid. Meaning those chaff players being in zone would actively hurt your chances of winning. VoA caused a LOT of guilds to fold in both T3 and T4 because it is simply not possible to stock your roster with only GOOD players. And the lower down on the guild ranking you are, the harder it is to even find replacements, nevermind being picky about their quality.

I wouldn't say it was 10% carrying 90%. More like 10% exceptional players, 70% decent players doing their part, 20% being carried.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

Dubious posted:

I'm a bit surprised that EQ hasn't reduced the number of bodies needed for raiding yet, seems most MMOs are 25 player or less these days.

I'm glad they haven't. Reduced numbers for raiding is a trend I'd like to see the gaming world abandon. It's silly enough that you and your 50ish-strong band of assholes can go and kill the avatar of a God. It gets ridiculous when 25 of you can do it.

Beyond immersion reasons though, the more you reduce the numbers, the more you limit what you can do with the fights. EQ does some pretty neat stuff with some of the raids, despite its archaic engine. A modern MMO could have some seriously epic boss battles with a 40-50 man raid force. The trick is to make sure that you're actually occupying 40+ people, instead of having ten people carry the raid and the rest just being warm bodies for heal/dps spam.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Some of you wanted to see current raids. One of our guys is streaming some raids at http://www.twitch.tv/lufteq sun, mon and tues, 7:30 est till 11:30 est. Blanking out for some raids to keep strats secret. He has most of our NToV raids from tonight recorded if you want to see a bunch of dragons die while listening to us in vent. EQ chat is covered and the video doesn't include Vulak.

http://www.twitch.tv/lufteq/b/361770800 has me in it!

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
From personal experience, I've noticed games with smaller raid forces place too much emphasis on having key roles in the raid. In a game with thousands of players per server, it just seems to me a general better formula is to make the raiding more inclusive, where you can take more people who are friends and tagalongs without throwing the entirely balance of the raid force out of whack. I guess it limits the scope of the complexity of the fights you can have, since there would be a greater chance of failures from just having more people being less coordinated (not listening to audio triggers, not jousting appropriately) but when I was leading raids stuck in that mid-tier level of guild I hate yankees mentioned, I'd have much rather said, "Sure, why not a fifth Paladin?" than having to weed out the lovely players for every vital slot (this was eq2).

I can't really speak for EQ1's style of raiding, but 54 players at least has to have a bit of overlap where having an extra SK instead of a Bard doesn't wreck your raid.

On the topic of Mid Tier raiding guilds, they are the worst. You raid often enough to take up a crap load of your free time, but fail enough to make progression pretty agonizing. Then one of your vital players leaves to join the High End guild, and suddenly your guild devolves into insane guild politics because some people just can't take the fact that its just a loving game.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Interesting to hear about the raiding. :)

There's also the school of thought that WoW followed - why make raids that only a small percentage of players see? I'm all for respecting EQ's tradition and keeping large raids, but they could also make scaled-down versions of the same raids for 12 or 18 players for example, so that people could at least get to see the content.

The UI...nooooo :gonk:

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 29, 2013

Freeze_Dried_Chives
Jul 22, 2007

I will not go down the hole again good sir.
Does anyone have some haste stuff like the FBSS or Cloak of Flame they can testcopy and send to Razzlie by any chance? If anyone could send me some money that would be great too. Figured I would ask here before I go camp the stuff.

Still camping Phinny for the backbone, but I have all the other stuff he drops now if anyone ever needs it for MQing or whatever.

Freeze_Dried_Chives fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 29, 2013

blackmage
Sep 9, 2006

Vomik posted:

I sent you a hammer of greatness, why aren't you using that? it's the best dps weapon at 80

Oh I am, and I love it, the big numbers make me so very happy. I just want something that isn't totally useless to work my 2hs.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Thanks for the care package jetz0r ! My little ranger now has a shiny new bow and a reasonable defiant collection. Currently getting some AAs at level 60 and then I'll get to 62 for some headshot action...

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Freeze_Dried_Chives posted:

Does anyone have some haste stuff like the FBSS or Cloak of Flame they can testcopy and send to Razzlie by any chance? If anyone could send me some money that would be great too. Figured I would ask here before I go camp the stuff.

Still camping Phinny for the backbone, but I have all the other stuff he drops now if anyone ever needs it for MQing or whatever.
I have an RBB (31% haste belt) that I can send you. I'll do it when I log on tonight (USA lunch time).

VenimeuxHaine
Mar 22, 2012
The hotzone quests give a belt with haste as a reward at the end. They're fairly easy and push you to the hotzone near your level.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

Flarestar posted:

OK, so I now have transferring over any time I do a /testcopy:

For 80+ folks:

Dagger of Rotting Flesh
Brutal Enforcer
Hammer of Greatness
Ring of the Fearborn
Eclipse
Carved Bone Totem
Staff of Infinite Facets
Painmaker
Most of a full set of Terror Infused armor (the HoT T1 equivalent all/all armor, min-lev 80). This stuff.
A full set of HoT dream fragments for rank II spells.

For 85+ folks:
A full set of Rustic wraps (VoA T1 armor).
A full set of VoA cantrips for rank II spells.
Steelcore Dagger
Darksteel Band of the Turncoat
Heartwood Bow
VoA-strength power sources for armor.

For lowbies not being PL'd:
The Horn of Hsagra

For fun:

Amulet of Necropotence

Things that I can unlock for transfer - these require me to use Loyalty crowns to purchase unattuners. I have no problem doing this, just don't want to waste them if no one actually wants the items.

Sliver of the Shieldbearer's Shield

PM me if you want any of this stuff - first come first serve.

Edit - As a note for those of you requesting Cantrips and Dream Fragments for Rank II stuff, keep in mind that VoA 92-95 spells require language progression, and HoT 89-90 spells require indifferent faction.

For VoA - Rank 2 spells are obtained from The Sklyg in Beasts' Domain by turning in "xyz Alaran Cantrip". No requirements for level 91, 25 skill for levels 92-93, and 50 skill for levels 94-95.

In addition to the above, I'm now copying over:

Level 85 stuff:
Whisper-Steel Loop

Level 92+ stuff:
Full RoF T1 visible + non-visible armor. (it's all/all, no class requirements)
Hissing Unsociable Blade - 1h slasher
Reticent Gar - lance
Voiceless Hound Skean - dagger
Silent Grimace - fist wrap
Stygian Nightmare's Bow <-- not the ranger bow, still working on getting that

Flarestar fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 29, 2013

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

VenimeuxHaine posted:

The hotzone quests give a belt with haste as a reward at the end. They're fairly easy and push you to the hotzone near your level.

Are you talking about the achievements for completing out the quests in the hotzones? Those are a pain in the butt and a lot of work. The Hot Zones dude gives tasks to kill 5 npcs in the hot zones, and gives you a choice of waist/shoulder/back for both combat and magic dudes. I wasn't sure which you were talking about since I'm not sure I'd describe "kill 5 lizards" as having an "end". But completing the quests in Blackfeather Roost was lots of fun, so consider doing that anyway.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
I've been spending the plat I have on live to snag a few of the non-visible pieces of VoA gear and a few weapons I find on the semi-cheap. Sadly I'm at work and Alla is blocked, so no links.

But I have the Steel-Woven Band, and another, which name I can't remember.

An 85 1h Piercer, the Backripper copied over, and I can copy that a few more times.

I also recently copied over a non-attuned Sliver of the Shieldbreaker's Shield, Flarestar, so you don't have to use crowns to unattune it, I can just copy mine over for anyone else who wants it.

Are there any request for stuff to buy? Sadly, most of the lvl 85 droppables are fairly expensive around 15-20k a pop, so I might not get it right away, but if i see it for under 5k i'll snap it up for copies later.

Those of you guys who wanted an MQ of the Pegasus Feather Cloak I have on my warrior copied over, can you possibly send me an in-game mail to my character Integ on test? If i'm on, he's who I'm on most. I just need to know when you're at that part, and I can park him at the quest mob on live to do fresh copies directly to there.

napster of meat
Nov 12, 2000

Flarestar posted:

In addition to the above, I'm now copying over:

Level 85 stuff:
Whisper-Steel Loop

I would like one of these sent to Pizzaparty please and thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Well, I am sure that this is the point where the entire Goon population turns on me, but I am one of those reasonable-minded people who thinks that both WoW and EQ have their strong and weak points and thinks that each game could learn from the other. I felt that WoW raiding, with the strict player caps, made it so that each person in the group had to be adequately geared and capable in order for everyone to pull it off. Even in my limited experience of the pre-Cataclysm non-Heroic end-game raids, even one DPS class out of 10/25 not being up to it could cost the raid, and I kind of liked that. I myself basically torpedoed a raid inadvertently: I was the #2 tank on our 'A' raiding team and, in one of my first raids, I forgot that I had a Rune equipped that did an AoE strike on a mob that spawned very dangerous adds from its body that drained health back to the boss (Saurfang, maybe? Been a while), which pretty much ruined that raid. I felt horrible even though my guild was very understanding, but we all learned from our mistakes and eventually we took the bugger down.

EQ raids just have too many people, which makes it so that almost nobody gets anything for the encounter. Having 54 people there for maybe 3 useful things that drop is not fun. I would be less opposed to that dynamic if people would get a bunch of cash and/or experience for bringing down some huge uber-boss, but EQ doesn't really do that. It's just another example of that separation in EQ (which has gotten a bit better from the old days) between character and gear progression.

I know that this is a word that infuriates EQ players, but the reason that I felt that WoW raiding was so smooth because of instancing. Everyone throws a fit at that word, but to me the challenge should be in getting the right people, using the right approach, and organising properly to take down The Big Bad, not having to beat every other comparable group on your server to that fight. When we failed on Saurfang in WoW and were locked out for a week, we were disappointed, but we knew that we could be back the following week to try again, and eventually we got over that hump. I know a lot of people enjoy the "competitive" element that comes with beating another guild to a major target, but to me the gratification of getting a large group of very disparate people to work together in order to take down whatever-it-is is gratification enough.

Our guild was not huge, but it was too big for one raiding force. In EQ, that is a huge problem, but in WoW we just formed a 'B' team that would attack a different instance of the content in question, usually on another night of the week. A lot of people think that this kind of openness diminishes accomplishment, but I think that it lets people enjoy the content that they would otherwise never see. If it wasn't this way, then the big fish would dominate a spawn forever until it became irrelevant in the next expansion or content package and the "beta" players would either have to spend time on now-pointless content or go on to being locked out of modern content by the semi-pro players. I still fail to see how having a once-a-week spawn that is unique on a server with thousands and thousands of players is an inherently good idea.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 29, 2013