Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Yeah I remember once seeing one where a sportswriter got an all sports category. It's just a coincidence that occasionally happens, like that Cheers episode.

I have a soft spot for doctors getting medical categories. Especially when they get first year anatomy wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Ughhh, the Teen Tournament starts one week from now. Guess I'm not watching for two weeks.
At least there's two weeks of Tournament of Champions after that.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
WHAT ARE THE GALAPAGOS ISLANDS YOU UNBELIEVABLE PIECE OF poo poo!

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
THE GUTENBERG loving BIBLE HOW DO TWO OF YOU MISS THAT

e: they literally just showed them a Gutenberg Bible and were like "Hey, what is this?" I am currently dying.

"What is 'us'" You absolute morons!

Pride and Prejudice? Yeah, Susie. "P" comes before "S." Maybe go to kindergarten you IDIOT poo poo PISS

To clarify what I'm mad about: "The first book Jane Austen had published in her lifetime, it is the last of her books alphabetically." I haven't been so angry over Sense and Sensibility since I read it.

Glenn_Beckett fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 24, 2013

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

funktopus posted:

Ughhh, the Teen Tournament starts one week from now. Guess I'm not watching for two weeks.
At least there's two weeks of Tournament of Champions after that.

You know what I love about the Jeopardy Teen Tournament? I keep getting older, and they stay the same age.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

jscolon2.0 posted:

You know what I love about the Jeopardy Teen Tournament? I keep getting older, and they stay the same age.

What is Dazed and Confused?

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

Old James posted:

What is Dazed and Confused?

Who is Matthew McConaughey?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I thought that episode was easy as hell, but that just rolled out of bed, mismatched a sweater with a dress shirt and tie, still-wet-from-the-late-shower hair motherfucker cleaned up with it.

Also, Sense and Sensibility was a guess. I only know 3 of Austen's 6 novels offhand, Emma, Pride, and Sense.

Also, Alex made me laugh my rear end off when he said "offhand I can think of 5 or 6 women authors"
Really? The two Bronte's, Rowling, Woolf, Alcott, Austen, Alice Walker, Plath, Dickinson, Christie, Shelley, Harper Lee... And that's historically acclaimed authors, not even lovely modern-day ones (although, some of you all will hate me for it, but I feel Rowling fits both categories). And I am 26 and not nearly as well-read as I should be... :lol:

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Glenn_Beckett posted:

THE GUTENBERG loving BIBLE HOW DO TWO OF YOU MISS THAT

e: they literally just showed them a Gutenberg Bible and were like "Hey, what is this?" I am currently dying.

"What is 'us'" You absolute morons!

Pride and Prejudice? Yeah, Susie. "P" comes before "S." Maybe go to kindergarten you IDIOT poo poo PISS

To clarify what I'm mad about : "The first book Jane Austen had published in her lifetime, it is the last of her books alphabetically." I haven't been so angry over Sense and Sensibility since I read it.

As much as I enjoyed Jeopardy before this thread I enjoy it so much more with your rantings to no one.

Also what I love about the Teen Tournament is that they could still kick my rear end in basically anything on the board. I love to be made to feel like a dumbfuck by a handful of teenagers who are scientifically programmed to do dumb things inherently.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

escape artist posted:

And I am 26 and not nearly as well-read as I should be... :lol:

Eh, I feel like literature and poetry are really over-represented in Jeopardy. It's one of the things that's made me hesitant about trying to get on, I always blank on those categories. On the other hand, I blitz science and math categories and wish they were on more often.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

funktopus posted:

Eh, I feel like literature and poetry are really over-represented in Jeopardy. It's one of the things that's made me hesitant about trying to get on, I always blank on those categories. On the other hand, I blitz science and math categories and wish they were on more often.

I find all of those categories to be easy as hell. I was a molecular biology major who enjoyed literature in his spare time. And naturally, with any hard science, math comes with the territory.

Opera, baseball, ballet, alcoholic beverages...

But don't you guys think Alex's comment was funny/ignorant/maybe tongue-in-cheek/if not straight up misogyny.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

escape artist posted:

But don't you guys think Alex's comment was funny/ignorant/maybe tongue-in-cheek/if not straight up misogyny.

I didn't think it was meant to be ironic and was duly horrified. Five or six women authors. Good lord. I can think of about twenty off the top of my head that they WOULD ASK ABOUT alone. Many more that they wouldn't.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

escape artist posted:

I think it could be taken that way. Another quote that raised an eyebrow was a few months ago, when he mentioned that a contestant had "the 2nd highest money total for a female player" or something along those lines.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Glenn_Beckett posted:

I didn't think it was meant to be ironic and was duly horrified. Five or six women authors. Good lord. I can think of about twenty off the top of my head that they WOULD ASK ABOUT alone. Many more that they wouldn't.

Seriously man. I can think of 20 that I know have been answers on Jeopardy before, even including crappy ones like Anne Rice. Funny thing is, I've read that he WRITES a good percentage of the questions.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

uublog posted:

Also what I love about the Teen Tournament is that they could still kick my rear end in basically anything on the board. I love to be made to feel like a dumbfuck by a handful of teenagers who are scientifically programmed to do dumb things inherently.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I remember hating the Teen Tournament because the questions are easy as hell. Same with Celebrity Jeopardy (wolfblitzer.jpg notwithstanding).

It does make the best "Cool story, Jeopardy contestant!" bits though. The Soup loved that girl who saw a bear.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

ElwoodCuse posted:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I remember hating the Teen Tournament because the questions are easy as hell.

This is possible. It's also possible that I'm an idiot.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

uublog posted:

This is possible. It's also possible that I'm an idiot.

Well, a lot of it is teen-oriented questions. If it's academia, it's super easy, but if it has to do with pop culture, specifically whatever the teens listen to nowadays, I am stumped. However, watching how awkward the teens are is funny as hell.

Looking forward to the Tournament of Champions though. Those are always fun and challenging.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I think WABC just spoiled tonight's episode by airing the commercial for tomorrow's show: Joshua is going to win big again

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Bahahhahahaha, yes, Joshua, let me get out my propeller yarmulke. That's totally a thing.

No Manners No
Jul 15, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

"Cool story, Jeopardy contestant!"

Seeing this segment on The Soup got me to actually start paying attention to the anecdotes again. I've been catching up on the show in little mini-marathons and noticed that January is the month of contestants telling hamburger-related stories. There's been at least 4. What's up with choosing to tell the world that you ate a burger?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Unless it's a whale-burger, you aren't special. In fact, you're a slob like the rest of us!

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

No Manners No posted:

Seeing this segment on The Soup got me to actually start paying attention to the anecdotes again. I've been catching up on the show in little mini-marathons and noticed that January is the month of contestants telling hamburger-related stories. There's been at least 4. What's up with choosing to tell the world that you ate a burger?

December was the month of "I was invited to a fundraiser for some guy named Barack Obama but didn't think he would be anybody" anecdotes.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

I wish to heaven that some contestant had just said "some black guy."

e: aaand Jeopardy! is coming on. Please someone post so I don't double-post my rant!

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

STEPHEN SONDHEIM YOU INCREDIBLE FUCKS

GEORGIAN UGH I'M DYING

Final Jeopardy! is Funny Girl. e: AAAAA YOU loving RETARDS HOW DID NONE OF YOU GET IT KISS MY PISSSSSSSSSS

Tonight the true star is the half-inch of snow that deigned to fall in Norfolk, VA. Our local ABC affiliate, which carries Jeopardy!, decided to air a report on road conditions (hours after the snowfall ended). I never do this, but here's what I wrote them:

"Dear Weather,
I don't ask for much. I don't think I'm owed anything. The sole comfort I have in this world is knowing that Jeopardy! comes on at 7:30 pm on my local ABC affiliate. Pardon my bluntness, but I don't care a bit that a half inch has fallen. Today I missed two entire categories on the Jeopardy! board. Are you actually kidding me? I would rather drive a 5-inch screw into the head of my penis than miss a single question. You have officially, then, driven ten 5-inch screws into the head of my penis. Thank you for telling me about the snow that ceased hours ago. You are true heroes.
Love,
[Glenn]"

Glenn_Beckett fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 26, 2013

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Ugh, the categories were crap today. Houses in London? Poetry? Clowns? Musical Theater Final Jeopardy? Yeah, I'm out.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
So, today I found out that the online test to get an audition is approximately 50 times harder than the gameshow itself, bollocks.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Glenn_Beckett posted:

STEPHEN SONDHEIM YOU INCREDIBLE FUCKS

GEORGIAN UGH I'M DYING

Final Jeopardy! is Funny Girl. e: AAAAA YOU loving RETARDS HOW DID NONE OF YOU GET IT KISS MY PISSSSSSSSSS

Tonight the true star is the half-inch of snow that deigned to fall in Norfolk, VA. Our local ABC affiliate, which carries Jeopardy!, decided to air a report on road conditions (hours after the snowfall ended). I never do this, but here's what I wrote them:

"Dear Weather,
I don't ask for much. I don't think I'm owed anything. The sole comfort I have in this world is knowing that Jeopardy! comes on at 7:30 pm on my local ABC affiliate. Pardon my bluntness, but I don't care a bit that a half inch has fallen. Today I missed two entire categories on the Jeopardy! board. Are you actually kidding me? I would rather drive a 5-inch screw into the head of my penis than miss a single question. You have officially, then, driven ten 5-inch screws into the head of my penis. Thank you for telling me about the snow that ceased hours ago. You are true heroes.
Love,
[Glenn]"

I usually get at least half of the Jeopardy clues, but I didn't reach that mark, and I drat sure didn't get any of the answers to clue that you seemed to find so easy. However, there were a good deal of clues that went unsolved today, that were easy as hell.

Simiain posted:

So, today I found out that the online test to get an audition is approximately 50 times harder than the gameshow itself, bollocks.

Oh, undoubtedly.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

gobbles posted:

WHEN DO I GET MY EMAIL???

Sometime around the end of March, beginning of April. It's not a quick process.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jenkin posted:

That is if you are lucky to have
A) passed the test
B) been drawn at random from those who did pass the test

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
BTW, for everyone fretting on the team tournament's impending, remember the game show network shows a repeat every weekday, and you should get a repeat at the same time as new episodes on the weekend.

If you're really desperate for a fix, go to J-Archive.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Jenkin posted:

People got emails last year as late as June or so.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I guessed Fiddler for the musical because my mind was drawing a blank on the time period and even though I've heard of the song and knew what the clue was getting at I just plain didn't have all the dots connected.

Propeller Yarmulke :bravo:

Baby Battering Ram
Sep 9, 2006
Snipes! Snipes! Long legged Snipes!
I took the test last year and got my email in October for a December audition. I had forgotten all about it by that point.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My husband said Yetl as well. He knew it was wrong, but just couldn't make the final connection.

I, on the other hand, guessed West Side Story because it is one of about three Broadway plays I can name.

Then I wonder how I got 27 on the online test.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

I may be speaking too soon, but I'm pretty sure some intern switched the Teen Tournament answers into today's board.

Guessing Best New Artist for final jeopardy.

e: would have been the only one to get it. Welp.

Glenn_Beckett fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 29, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Yeah, I guessed Best New Artist too... I thought that was a really easy question, and nobody got it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I didn't really understand the question so I didn't come up with anything :(

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

HookShot posted:

I didn't really understand the question so I didn't come up with anything :(

Other than Best New Artist, Grammy Awards are awarded for Songs, Albums, and Performances and not Artists.

ghost biscuit
Sep 28, 2002

jscolon2.0 posted:

Other than Best New Artist, Grammy Awards are awarded for Songs, Albums, and Performances and not Artists.

What about the lifetime achievement award? That was my guess anyway, wonder how they would have scored it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Benminnn posted:

What about the lifetime achievement award? That was my guess anyway, wonder how they would have scored it.

They specifically said "competitive". Lifetime achievement isn't a competitive award.