Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

I almost hate to post this terrible looking image, but it took me the last two hours to do it! Stupid new phone, and my wireless mouse died today and my only computer at home is hooked up to my big TV and entertainment center, so I've managed to scrounge up a wired mouse and now I'm sitting 2 feet from a 60" TV trying to use the mouse on my leg. YAY technology!

Anyways, I have one of those silly 72 spot seed starter things, and it's actually been worth it's weight in gold the last 4-5 years. I have a heat mat and a cool setup I built with lights and a timer and I've gotten almost 100% germination, so much so that I'm going to 2 seeds per pod instead of 3 this year.

If you can read the labels, the PJ's stand for Pepper Joe's, a website I get peppers from, and the others say Burpee. I like to know which seeds ended up working really well. I ran out of different pepper varieties by the end and picked some cucumbers and stuff, that I don't really want. I also saved two spots for my boyfriend for his "other" endeavors but he broke up with me :cry: so anybody have any suggestions for any peppers I missed? Or something else I should plant. I'm trying some beans and a container corn this year, but they're both direct sow.

Cayenne's are always awesome producers for me and they make great hot powder and sauce. I dunno if I have enough of those. I'm trying out more types of habanero this year. I was really excited about white habs last year so I could make covert hot chili flakes and sauces, but I lost my one good plant. I only have about 24 pots, so I have to pick and choose the ones that are looking best for going outside around April 20th. (region 6/7)

Jeez that is really unreadable. darn

*edit*

If I went to that trouble, I might as well type it:
Red Morouga Scorpion Pepper
Carolina Reaper
Butch T Pepper
Naga Viper
Giant Ghost Pepper
Burpee Habanero
Burpee Hot cherry
Burpee Big Thai Hybrid
Burpee Ristra Cayenne
Burpee Spanish Spice
Burpee Long Red Cayenne
Fatalii Pepper
Serrano Pepper
Long Red Cayenned
Hot Firecracker Pepper
Crimsoon Torpedo Pepper
Hot Cow Horn Pepper
Burpee Marigolds (yes the flower)
Itlian Pepperoncini
Bishop's Crown Pepper
Hot Jamaican Pepper
Red Savina Pepper
Scotch Bonnet Pepper
Caribbean Chile Blend? (Not sure what that's gonna make)
Pasilla Bajio Pepper
Ricotillo Pepper
Tazmanian Hab
Spicy Mustard Hab
Golden Hab
Pumpkin Hab
Chocolate Hab
White Hab

And then cuz I ran out of peppers, Lake Valley super sweet 100 tomato, a mini bell pepper mix, and white cucumbers. All of those I would switch if I had other hot pepper seeds.

DoggPickle fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Oh, new question, is there any home growing veggies thread? I couldn't find one. It's about that time for most people to think about any seeds they are starting indoors.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

DoggPickle posted:

Oh, new question, is there any home growing veggies thread? I couldn't find one. It's about that time for most people to think about any seeds they are starting indoors.

Yep! It's right here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672&pagenumber=121

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

latexenthusiast posted:

I've been getting way into making cocktails lately, and I've found that some drinks require for swishing around a small amount of absinthe or whatever in a glass and tossing out the rest. Being the frugal guy that I am, I'd rather not waste those few precious drops of absinthe, so I was wondering if I could just use a spray bottle like something found here: http://www.specialtybottle.com/amberbostonroundglassbottlesmi.aspx. I've seen a couple of bars do this, but I imagine they go through the contents of their spray bottles on the order of weeks or months rather than years, so I wanted to know what the likelihood is that the plastic tube of the atomizer will impart an off flavor or leech BPA or something if I leave it in for years at a time. I was considering trying to get plain caps along with atomizers and use the former for long term storage.

Uh, it should probably be fine, since those things are probably food-grade, since they're selling them to be used in that capacity. Though if I were you I'd just swirl the absinthe in the glass then toss it into my mouth because absinthe is delicious.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

vulturesrow posted:

Does anyone have a good system for collecting / storing recipes from various sources for viewing online. The total is to get all the various recipes I have readable on my nexus 7.

I use pepperplate, though I haven't used it on my android phone because it's a geriatric POS right now, but the thing does have a set format for recipes. It also automatically imports from certain websites (epicurious, etc). I like it because I loving hate formatting things to be consistent, manually.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

latexenthusiast posted:

I've been getting way into making cocktails lately, and I've found that some drinks require for swishing around a small amount of absinthe or whatever in a glass and tossing out the rest. Being the frugal guy that I am, I'd rather not waste those few precious drops of absinthe, so I was wondering if I could just use a spray bottle like something found here: http://www.specialtybottle.com/amberbostonroundglassbottlesmi.aspx. I've seen a couple of bars do this, but I imagine they go through the contents of their spray bottles on the order of weeks or months rather than years, so I wanted to know what the likelihood is that the plastic tube of the atomizer will impart an off flavor or leech BPA or something if I leave it in for years at a time. I was considering trying to get plain caps along with atomizers and use the former for long term storage.

Is there a cocktail thread? If not can you make one, if so can you post in it? I am interested in such cocktails.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Saint Darwin posted:

Is there a cocktail thread? If not can you make one, if so can you post in it? I am interested in such cocktails.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438778

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Nice, thanks. I'm really intrigued with using sprays to slightly flavor drinks now.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Thanks a ton. I don't think I would have ever found it by myself!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Plus_Infinity posted:

Please tell me more about this! What kind of peppers do you use? I am planning on growing peppers this year to try and make my own hot sauce.

As much as we love habaneros, the flavor tends to dominate a sauce, so hab usage is binary: either none, or all habs. The GF blogged about the hab one we regularly make:
Melomeals: Thyme Infused Habanero Sauce

We also make a beautiful orange sauce from fresh red thai bird chilis: stem 1 pound of chilis, given them a very brief blanch in boiling water, blend/process, and then juice by squeezing it through some cheesecloth. Add 3/4 cup vinegar, and some salt and sugar. We haven't perfected this recipe yet; it makes a thin vinegar sauce with lots of flavor and heat. In the next batch, we'll try some guar gum to thicken it a little (so it sticks to food better).

Here is a nice simple recipe for a fermented sauce:
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/07/master-hot-sauce

The Sriacha experiment is still in the early stages. We've tried lots of things, and liked some of it, but we don't have a firm recipe yet. Some of the successful things: adding a little gochujang (for some fermented flavor), pan roasting a red bell pepper to add more body, pan roasting red jalapenos for body and heat, adding thai bird chili juice for heat, adding extra hot Indian chili pepper powder for heat.... We even experimented with adding a tiny pinch of Indian black salt, to reproduce that slight preservative taste that Sriacha has.

Let me know if you come up with anything that works.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 28, 2013

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Help solve a stupid argument?

How does one tell the difference between Daikon and Korean Radish?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Squashy Nipples posted:

One of them is long and thin and the other is short and fat?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Korean radish tends to have a bit of green around the crown, whereas daikon tends to be completely white. This isn't a hard and fast rule, obviously. Also, korean radish tends towards round, whereas daikon is more long and slender. Korean radish has a stronger, more peppery taste, although you also get at bit more bitterness. Daikon is much less bitter, but also more mild in overall flavour. All that said, the actual differences in taste are rather subtle, and both can readily be substituted for the other, depending on what you can find.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Looking to do some pub food this weekend for the girlfriend, and was thinking grilled cheese and a side or two. So I am open to any suggestions regarding sandwich construction, bread choices, side dishes, and just general cooking tips since I always seem to get my sandiwches a little more brown than I prefer, without the insides being as gooey. I guess that's rectified by tossing it in the toaster oven first.

I got a big ol' fancy cheese place near by, so I can get most anything. I think fried pickle chips was going to be one side because I know she likes that. Not sure what else. Greasy is good.

e: Not looking for a soup to pair it with by the way. That's the route I usually go, and while good, I want something different!

Terrormisu
Mar 28, 2007

Will you sign my copy?
I picked up a package of tio to, or red perilla, at the Asian market on a whim yesterday. Any recipes or suggestions of what to do with it? Thanks!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Looking to do some pub food this weekend for the girlfriend, and was thinking grilled cheese and a side or two. So I am open to any suggestions regarding sandwich construction, bread choices, side dishes, and just general cooking tips since I always seem to get my sandiwches a little more brown than I prefer, without the insides being as gooey. I guess that's rectified by tossing it in the toaster oven first.

I got a big ol' fancy cheese place near by, so I can get most anything. I think fried pickle chips was going to be one side because I know she likes that. Not sure what else. Greasy is good.

e: Not looking for a soup to pair it with by the way. That's the route I usually go, and while good, I want something different!

If you want to keep the pub theme you should do devils on horseback. Local gastropub batters them and deep fries them and they are ridiculously good. Some good chipped potatoes can be good, too. Check out "Cook like heston: Potatoes" on youtube. Some quick pickled things like radishes, cukes, melon rinds, carrots, apples, etc are a nice contrast to cut all the richness, too. Rollmops, if you're into pickled fish (I am). A mixed salad could be good, too. Lettuce, arugula, pears, candied walnuts, gorgonzola, dried cranberries, and vinaigrette.

Re: browning before melting. Having your cheese at room temperature before grilling helps a lot. As does keeping the heat low Don't rush it. You want the heat to permeate the sandwich before it starts to caramelize. I like a nice crusty sourdough, thick cut, buttered on both sides (outside facing sides), though some people use mayonnaise and that works well, too. I like a nice thin layer of spicy brown mustard on one of the sides of the bread. Some minced garlic, worked into a paste by adding a touch of kosher salt and mashing/rubbing it with the side of your knife or in a mortar and pestle and spread on the other side is nice, but can be very aggressive if you don't care for garlic too much. Over stuff the sandwich with cheese but cook it in a nonstick skillet on low to low medium heat. It will take a long time and cheese will melt out, but that melted out cheese will caramelize and crisp on the pan and it will be awesome.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Do you use slices of cheese? Grating it will melt it much faster and more evenly. Other than that, use a low heat to slowly brown the outside so it doesn't get too dark before the cheese melts.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

THE MACHO MAN posted:

The cheese you use can make a difference too.

My favorite grilled cheese is sourdough, provolone, chili flakes to taste, cheddar, provolone, sourdough.

Cheese overload! The provolone melts very, very easily and the cheddar melts differently (it's smoother), so it makes a really nice texture combination... though I usually do it til the bread is nice and golden for some crunch.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
I've never tried tuna and I figure it's about time I try it out. Only problem is I don't know poo poo about it. Given only canned tuna, what brand should I be looking for if it's not all the same thing?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I'm looking at picking up a food processor / blender, primarily to make purees (and especially squash soups). What should I be looking for, or looking to avoid in such a piece of equipment? Note that I'm basically just a beginner cook, and also a poor grad student, so I'm not looking for anything fancy here.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Canned tuna's kind of all the same thing. I've never noticed much of a difference in brands, there is a big difference in type though. There's several species and subspecies of tuna and their meat is all different. I think it's widely agreed that albacore canned tuna is the tastiest but unfortunately it's also the mercuryiest, maybe not a problem for you but definitely a problem for me as a tiny person. I've seen tongol tuna a lot lately, if I recall correctly it is both low in mercury and not dangerously overfished like a lot of the bigger tuna.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

re: canned tuna

I think the pouches taste better than the cans. Also, I think the tuna in oil is better than the tuna in water.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hawkgirl posted:

Canned tuna's kind of all the same thing. I've never noticed much of a difference in brands, there is a big difference in type though. There's several species and subspecies of tuna and their meat is all different. I think it's widely agreed that albacore canned tuna is the tastiest but unfortunately it's also the mercuryiest, maybe not a problem for you but definitely a problem for me as a tiny person. I've seen tongol tuna a lot lately, if I recall correctly it is both low in mercury and not dangerously overfished like a lot of the bigger tuna.

There's :science: stuff about mercury in fish not actually being dangerous because of the presence of selenium. I read up on it a few months ago but I didn't bookmark the papers, but it basically renders the mercury in seafood inert in our bodies. Eat all the fish.

Re: the original question. I prefer albacore, in oil or in pouch, but I think albacore in water in can is fine for a lazy sandwich or some albacore fritters (a la poorman's crab cakes). The "Chunk Light" tuna is usually skipjack, and is usually pretty bad.

beerchan
May 6, 2005

once you pop
the fun dont stop
Hello goon cooks, I want to make something yummy for my coworker and I desperately need ideas. She has a lot of health issues from years of lovely eating and has just been put on a very restrictive diet: no sodium, no fats, no red meat, no cholesterol. It doesn't have to be absolutely NO whatever but as low as possible. Any advice would be helpful, she is a fat old lady who loves comfort food, and this is a very limiting diet to cook for.

So far all I can think of is whole grain rice, beans, rabbit meat, chicken, tuna.. I've cooked for all kinds of diets but this one has me stumped!! It's so limiting and everything I can think of sounds so bland. I really want to brighten her day and maybe take a little stress off the massive life change with some yummy comfort food. HELP

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

beerchan posted:

Hello goon cooks, I want to make something yummy for my coworker and I desperately need ideas. She has a lot of health issues from years of lovely eating and has just been put on a very restrictive diet: no sodium, no fats, no red meat, no cholesterol. It doesn't have to be absolutely NO whatever but as low as possible. Any advice would be helpful, she is a fat old lady who loves comfort food, and this is a very limiting diet to cook for.

So far all I can think of is whole grain rice, beans, rabbit meat, chicken, tuna.. I've cooked for all kinds of diets but this one has me stumped!! It's so limiting and everything I can think of sounds so bland. I really want to brighten her day and maybe take a little stress off the massive life change with some yummy comfort food. HELP

I don't know if this will be up her alley, but I believe it fits all the requirements.

http://www.thefoodinmybeard.com/2010/08/indian-spice-cabbage-and-zucchini.html

beerchan
May 6, 2005

once you pop
the fun dont stop

Saint Darwin posted:

I don't know if this will be up her alley, but I believe it fits all the requirements.

http://www.thefoodinmybeard.com/2010/08/indian-spice-cabbage-and-zucchini.html

It truly does! Thank you so much! I'll have to go very light on the oil, but this is something she would really love. Thank you..!

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Cyril Sneer posted:

I'm looking at picking up a food processor / blender, primarily to make purees (and especially squash soups). What should I be looking for, or looking to avoid in such a piece of equipment? Note that I'm basically just a beginner cook, and also a poor grad student, so I'm not looking for anything fancy here.

Just get a stick blender. It's cheaper, takes up less space, and leaves you with less clean-up. I actually use my cheap, 1-piece, plastic one like this:
Cheap immersion blender. 15 bucks.
more than I use my more expensive, 2-piece, stainless one:
Cuisinart; comes in colors. 30 bucks.
- mostly because the big stainless one I have is a little too fast for some things, for my taste.
I have never tried any of them, but one advantage to the 2-piece unit is that you can get different attachments, like a whisk or paddle.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Very Strange Things posted:

Just get a stick blender. It's cheaper, takes up less space, and leaves you with less clean-up. I actually use my cheap, 1-piece, plastic one like this:
Cheap immersion blender. 15 bucks.
more than I use my more expensive, 2-piece, stainless one:
Cuisinart; comes in colors. 30 bucks.
- mostly because the big stainless one I have is a little too fast for some things, for my taste.
I have never tried any of them, but one advantage to the 2-piece unit is that you can get different attachments, like a whisk or paddle.

I agree with this if you're using it almost exclusively for soups.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Casu Marzu posted:

re: canned tuna

I think the pouches taste better than the cans. Also, I think the tuna in oil is better than the tuna in water.

I usually just go with the water. I like to press/strain it out and put in a little of my own oil.

Norville Rogers
Oct 17, 2004
Like, zoinks!
Jicama: any easy way to get the skin off other than just going to town with a kinfe? The ones I see are always covered in about 1/8" of wax, to boot, so a peeler just doesn't cut it.

Also, is there anything tasty to do with it other than raw with lemon juice? I love the texture and flavor of it, but don't really know of anything else to do with it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I agree with this if you're using it almost exclusively for soups.

Me too. I have a good stick blender (plus various useful attachments) and have never felt the need for a stand blender.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I've never really been able to grind up ice as well as I'd like with a stick but I don't have a standing blender either.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I love me some sautéed collard greens with garlic and lemon, but what else can I do with them? Use them like Kale and just put them in everything? Soups, Slaw, added midway into a braise?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

What's a good way to balance out the sweetness of red beans? I'm making red beans+shredded chicken with rice to eat for the next few days. I'm pretty much a flavour balancing noob. Something acidic? Salt?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
You could try something bitter like coffee or unsweetened cocoa powder.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hot peppers/sauce

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

Korean radish tends to have a bit of green around the crown, whereas daikon tends to be completely white. This isn't a hard and fast rule, obviously. Also, korean radish tends towards round, whereas daikon is more long and slender. Korean radish has a stronger, more peppery taste, although you also get at bit more bitterness. Daikon is much less bitter, but also more mild in overall flavour. All that said, the actual differences in taste are rather subtle, and both can readily be substituted for the other, depending on what you can find.

THANK YOU. This was the foundation of my argument, except that I didn't explain it as well as you did. I kept saying "this tastes more radishy then daikon".

As for blenders, I do like my stick blender, and I made a LOT of hummus in my old stand blender before I bought the food processor. I never use the attachments for the stick blender, but my mom says she really likes the wisk and cup for certain things. :shrug:

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 29, 2013

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jyrraeth posted:

I love me some sautéed collard greens with garlic and lemon, but what else can I do with them? Use them like Kale and just put them in everything? Soups, Slaw, added midway into a braise?

Yes, in general you can sub collards for kale in almost anything. If you are getting sick of eating them cooked, try them raw, or raw food style (chopped and gently massaged with some acid). My GF really loves raw collard wraps for almost anything, but the texture is a little too waxy for me, so I usually give them a quick steam first.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

therattle posted:

Me too. I have a good stick blender (plus various useful attachments) and have never felt the need for a stand blender.

I have a really nice blender but no counter space to keep it out, and that always feels like so much cleanup that I end up using it less. What is a good stick blender? Money isn't exactly no object, but I like to spend enough so that things last awhile and work better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

M42 posted:

What's a good way to balance out the sweetness of red beans? I'm making red beans+shredded chicken with rice to eat for the next few days. I'm pretty much a flavour balancing noob. Something acidic? Salt?

Vinegar. Vinegar plus sweetness = flavour delight. Go easy.