Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Obviously that sort of thing would make money, but selling things is a byzantine set of problems. I can think of a few reasons why they might not want to release collections of games right away. First, they need to be careful that they aren't undercutting some part of their strategy with the 3DS. A full Zelda anthology is obviously in conflict with their Ocarina of Time re-release, for instance, and you can imagine them releasing portable versions of other Zelda games as well. It's possible that we're far enough out of the way of it that they can safely put out such an anthology, but Nintendo games tend to have very long tails on their sales so maybe not. It's also true that the Wii U could end up with a negative reputation as a console with a bunch of re-releases and not much else. They'd be selling a few Wii Us to certain people, but maybe those people could be enticed with the Next Great Zelda Game anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I'm actually pretty annoyed that buying a Virtual Console game on the Wii and then redeeming it on Wii U costs more than it will for new users to buy a VC game straight from the Wii U. If they're charging new buyers the same as what they charged on the Wii, despite the new features, then why are they asking for more from existing owners? It also means people will hold off on buying games from the Wii VC in case they become available on the new system later, because overall it's cheaper to buy straight from Wii U.

Wait, what? I thought it's only $1 NES / $1.50 SNES to get the new version if you owned the old version? If you did not own the old version from years ago, why would you buy the old version now that a new one is available and then upgrade?

I doubt they'll continue with Wii VC releases, because the new Wii model doesn't support VC and the WiiU VC exists. It's no kidding that people won't buy from the Wii VC anymore, but who cares?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

WendigoJohnson posted:

Yeah but they've removed stuff like Donkey Kong Country from the VC and it's not up on the New one.

If you bought the game prior to them removing it from the Wii Shop, you can still download them. Case in point, both SimCity and R-Type are no longer available for purchase, but I bought them back when they first came out and can still download them just fine on my Wii U after the transfer process.

Also, unless Nintendo is deliberately going to lock out your Wii VC stuff in order to force you to buy the Wii U upgrade, I don't see a problem. I can still access all my Wii VC stuff on the Wii U.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Obviously that sort of thing would make money, but selling things is a byzantine set of problems. I can think of a few reasons why they might not want to release collections of games right away. First, they need to be careful that they aren't undercutting some part of their strategy with the 3DS. A full Zelda anthology is obviously in conflict with their Ocarina of Time re-release, for instance, and you can imagine them releasing portable versions of other Zelda games as well. It's possible that we're far enough out of the way of it that they can safely put out such an anthology, but Nintendo games tend to have very long tails on their sales so maybe not. It's also true that the Wii U could end up with a negative reputation as a console with a bunch of re-releases and not much else. They'd be selling a few Wii Us to certain people, but maybe those people could be enticed with the Next Great Zelda Game anyway.

Considering they gave out two Zelda Anthologies as pre-order bonuses before, I don't think they're really undercutting anything. Hell they're re-releasing Windwaker just to pad out releases. I mean really when was the last time LTTP was released? It was on the Gameboy Advance, Link's Awakening was on the Gameboy Color, Both NES Zeldas got the Promotional Gamecube Disc and the Gameboy Advance Classic NES Carts. Even if you left out Oracle of Ages/Seasons those are still more games than what came in the Super Mario one.

Or even just allowing print to order collections from their website like Amazon. You don't even need to have in-store distribution.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 29, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

WendigoJohnson posted:

Considering they gave out two Zelda Anthologies as pre-order bonuses before, I don't think they're really undercutting anything. Hell they're re-releasing Windwaker just to pad out releases. I mean really when was the last time LTTP was released? It was on the Gameboy Advance, Link's Awakening was on the Gameboy Color, Both NES Zeldas got the Promotional Gamecube Disc and the Gameboy Advance Classic NES Carts. Even if you left out Oracle of Ages/Seasons those are still more games than what came in the Super Mario one.

I'm just saying that the situation is a little different because the 3DS also needs strong releases. It might just be my personal bias but I think Ocarina of Time 3DS is still a major selling point for me on that system, having not bought one yet, and if they put it out on Wii U it would cease to matter to me on 3DS. A 2D Zelda collection would be nice, sure.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Didn't see this asked, but if a game like Skyward Sword is played on Wii over HDMI, is it widescreen on just 4:3, because I'm playing it for the first time, and it appears to be 4:3 and the Wii emulator on WiiU doesn't have the option to switch between 4:3 and 16:9 which sucks.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm just saying that the situation is a little different because the 3DS also needs strong releases. It might just be my personal bias but I think Ocarina of Time 3DS is still a major selling point for me on that system, having not bought one yet, and if they put it out on Wii U it would cease to matter to me on 3DS. A 2D Zelda collection would be nice, sure.

Yeah but the 3DS OoT has updated models, textures, and everything. It's like the difference between The Dragon Quest games for the NES and the remade ones for the DS.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Black Baby Goku posted:

Didn't see this asked, but if a game like Skyward Sword is played on Wii over HDMI, is it widescreen on just 4:3, because I'm playing it for the first time, and it appears to be 4:3 and the Wii emulator on WiiU doesn't have the option to switch between 4:3 and 16:9 which sucks.

It's not under system settings anywhere?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It's not under system settings anywhere?

Not in Wii mode, no. In WiiU mode I have it set to 1080p.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

WendigoJohnson posted:

They should just release the games on some sort of Disc Anthology like all the other companies. Their kirby and Mario ones were pretty good, and having stuff like Metroid Anthology, Zelda Anthology(hell have you seen the ammount of copies the Hyrule Histria book sold), and Maybe Every Donkey Kong Game Ever Anthology would help pad out the Wii-U releases.

The Mario compilation stank, it was literally just a ROM on a disc. Total zero-effort job.

Unsurprisingly, it was a NOA initiative. They wanted to do something similar for Zelda, too, but Miyamoto vetoed it and di the Four Swords remake/symphony concerts instead.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Who handled the Kirby Compilation? Because that was really good.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Mario compilation stank, it was literally just a ROM on a disc. Total zero-effort job.

Unsurprisingly, it was a NOA initiative. They wanted to do something similar for Zelda, too, but Miyamoto vetoed it and di the Four Swords remake/symphony concerts instead.

The one that came with the booklet though was only like 15-20 bucks though, it was even signifigantly cheaper than the SNES release. The Kirby one was definetly better though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Black Baby Goku posted:

Not in Wii mode, no. In WiiU mode I have it set to 1080p.

a quick search found this solution:

Go back to the WiiU menu
Go to System Settings
Set it to 480p and 16:9
go back to the Wii menu
It should be fixed
Then apparently when you go back to the WiiU menu next time you can set it back to 1080p and it should convert correctly in Wii mode.

EDIT: Random question: did you do a Wii System Transfer onto the WiiU?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 29, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

HAL did it themselves.

There's also a JP-only Dragon Quest compilation that includes the first three games and their SNES remakes; that one was by Intelligent Systems.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's also a JP-only Dragon Quest compilation that includes the first three games and their SNES remakes; that one was by Intelligent Systems.
Yeah that compilation was another one that was well assembled. However America really doesn't care for DQ unfortunetly. We're atleast getting the DQ7 remake though, the first 3 games most recent releases were the GBC ones.

Honestly I'd love if they went back and remade one of the 2D Zeldas in 3d like the more recent ones. It would be really interesting to see a 2D level replicated entirely in 3D just to see the different design philosphy. You can even make the illustraitions of Link in the NES/SNES instruction booklets to be accurate in game now.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 29, 2013

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Widdiful posted:

there's no real point to them porting it to the Wii U.

Last I checked it has more monsters and weapons in comparison to the last entry on a Nintendo console. That was a pretty dumb thing of you to say.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Additionally, the Wii U version has actual online multiplayer, which is a pretty great factor in how people enjoy the game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nahxela posted:

Additionally, the Wii U version has actual online multiplayer, which is a pretty great factor in how people enjoy the game.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate having online multiplayer on Wii U was the major deciding factor in me buying a Wii U over a 3DS XL, so yeah it's pretty important.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
I just bought Balloon Fight. I think I'm gonna try and keep up with these one-a-month releases, 30 cents is nothing for a great game. Plus it'll give me some games to hold me over until Pikmin 3.

When are they doing the new WiiU VC games, or the ones where I can re-purchase my old VC games? I'd like to be able to play Mario 1 and River City Ransom on the gamepad.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MissileWaster posted:

I just bought Balloon Fight. I think I'm gonna try and keep up with these one-a-month releases, 30 cents is nothing for a great game. Plus it'll give me some games to hold me over until Pikmin 3.

When are they doing the new WiiU VC games, or the ones where I can re-purchase my old VC games? I'd like to be able to play Mario 1 and River City Ransom on the gamepad.
I think either Spring or Summer is the VC launch vs the current "trial" period/releases.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

liquidypoo posted:

Last I checked it has more monsters and weapons in comparison to the last entry on a Nintendo console. That was a pretty dumb thing of you to say.
I haven't looked up much about the port, if I even did research. New monsters are great and now I might buy it if it isn't overpriced.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Still hoping in vain that the Kirby Collection will turn up in PAL territories :sigh:.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MissileWaster posted:

Wii U VC doesn't launch until "spring", and they're not gonna have the entire Wii VC library available for Wii U from the beginning. My guess is that they'll trickle that poo poo out at exactly the same pace they did the first time, ie glacially.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Chronojam posted:

Wait, what? I thought it's only $1 NES / $1.50 SNES to get the new version if you owned the old version? If you did not own the old version from years ago, why would you buy the old version now that a new one is available and then upgrade?

It is, but people who bought the game already on Wii VC, once they have paid the upgrade fee in addition to the original price, are paying more overall than new buyers to have the Wii U features. You'd think that people who owned the games already wouldn't be penalised for it. And yes I realise that I already agreed to pay the original prices for the Wii VC versions when I bought them, but I'm saying it's weird that new buyers are getting the new features for no additional cost when the people who already bought the games are being charged for the new features.

Chronojam posted:

I doubt they'll continue with Wii VC releases, because the new Wii model doesn't support VC and the WiiU VC exists. It's no kidding that people won't buy from the Wii VC anymore, but who cares?

The only Wii not to support VC is the Canadian exclusive Wii mini. The Wii U VC doesn't exist yet, and who knows how long it will take for some games to be emulated again for Wii U. People will still use the Wii Shop Channel on Wii U as long as it has things they want. Those holding out for the Wii U versions of VC games, so they can spend less overall, are discouraged from buying them now on the Wii VC.

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 29, 2013

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
If you buy games on the Wii virtual console you can still play them on the Wii U so I don't see what the problem is and I don't understand why people feel entitled to these updated versions. When you bought those games on the Wii, probably several years ago, you more than likely had no clue Nintendo's next console would have a gamepad to play games on and Nintendo certainly didn't agree that your purchase would carry forward for the rest of it's life on any console/handheld after the Wii.

You aren't paying $1/$1.50 to play your games on the Wii U, you are given the option of paying that price to play on the gamepad and use the new features which costs time and money to implement.

The only other scenario I can think of like this, is with the UMD psp games and didn't Sony basically tell NA tough poo poo and offer this same type of deal to Japan Vita owners? What precedent was set that people think they should get these updates for free? Were these same people upset when blu-ray movies came out and they didn't get free copies of their movies they purchased on dvd's in blu-ray format?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Widdiful posted:

I haven't looked up much about the port, if I even did research. New monsters are great and now I might buy it if it isn't overpriced.
It's a lot more than just new monsters and new weapons. There's also a new difficulty rank and the weapon mechanics, which makes up the core of Monster Hunter's gameplay, were revamped for a number of the weapons.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

AngryCaterpillar posted:

It is, but people who bought the game already on Wii VC, once they have paid the upgrade fee in addition to the original price, are paying more overall than new buyers to have the Wii U features. You'd think that people who owned the games already wouldn't be penalised for it. And yes I realise that I already agreed to pay the original prices for the Wii VC versions when I bought them, but I'm saying it's weird that new buyers are getting the new features for no additional cost when the people who already bought the games are being charged for the new features.
People who owned the games aren't being penalised for it? They bought Wii software that's even playable on the Wii U in a weird, backhanded way.

I'm more confused why you'd penalise the people buying the newer versions as their first business with the Virtual Console with higher prices then they would be on the Wii just because a few people who bought their stuff on the Wii are upset that it's not a free upgrade.

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat
Finally joined the Wii U club, and holy poo! Miiverse is the best friggin thing! I'm "playing" that more than nintendo land. It's so much fun posting stupid things!

Asobu fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 29, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

katkillad2 posted:

The only other scenario I can think of like this, is with the UMD psp games and didn't Sony basically tell NA tough poo poo and offer this same type of deal to Japan Vita owners? What precedent was set that people think they should get these updates for free? Were these same people upset when blu-ray movies came out and they didn't get free copies of their movies they purchased on dvd's in blu-ray format?

SCEJ set up a rigged system where hardcore PSP adopters could knock down a large margin of a digital PSP game's cost by registering their UMD version of it to their PSN account, but only certain games on the digital catalog were applicable and the discount was largely set by the publisher. It could be as low as 10% off and high as like 60-70% off depending on the game and publisher. All you had to do was load up the UMD Passport program on your PSP, register the UMD, then go.

Here's the problem with UMD Passport: it's an elitist scam that completely shuts out new platform adopters and anyone who didn't still own a PSP or the UMDs. It assumes that everyone who is adopting to the new platform has the old platform and the old games. So if you were Akira EveryTeen, who maybe never owned a PSP but bought a Vita, then you had to pay the same ridiculous price for your copy of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd as everyone else who didn't register. Imagine if you bought a Vita after selling your PSP, having kept all your old games around, why you'd be completely unable to do the deal! Surely you can see the problem with this.

Sony America told SCEJ to gently caress off with that plan and did something vastly better: negotiated with publishers to establish sweeping permanent price drops for a majority of the PSP's digital library. Same ideas as the UMD Passport's publisher pricing setup, but now everyone can benefit. Johnny HardcoreGamer, Billy NewAdopter, and Hanson MaybeWhenMonsterHunterHappens all get the same deal, on top of weekly, seasonal, and special sales which can further knock the price down. Keep in mind that Japan doesn't get nearly the amount of games on sale nor the frequency of sales that we in the West enjoy. The discounts didn't totally match UMD Passport's in the end, but it ended up being a result that was better than telling a large majority of people to gently caress off and pay $40 for Persona 3 Portable. Now it's only $20 (and as low as $15 on sales!)

The writing was on the wall for the UMD as soon as Sony breathed a drat whisper about the PSP GO back in like what late '09/early '10? I sold off any UMD that I owned if there was a PSN version, so I wasn't hit too hard but yeah there were quite a few people blindsided by the fact that they chose to abandon the really awful physical media for the successor.

But we're talking about products on a digital space moving from one platform to another, and other platforms have done the exact same thing people are suggesting for free. PS1's backwards compatibility on the digital marketplace has been pretty stellar. Works universally across three entirely different platforms, can share saves, and can access new features inherent in those platforms without any additional cost. They're not exactly Wii U level "move the game from my TV to the Game Pad" level improvements, but if I want to make my touch screen a virtual Triangle button in FF7 then I can do that for free. I was kind of hoping that Virtual Console would be similar.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
So which games do y'all think deserve this?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

If you buy games on the Wii virtual console you can still play them on the Wii U so I don't see what the problem is and I don't understand why people feel entitled to these updated versions. When you bought those games on the Wii, probably several years ago, you more than likely had no clue Nintendo's next console would have a gamepad to play games on and Nintendo certainly didn't agree that your purchase would carry forward for the rest of it's life on any console/handheld after the Wii.

You aren't paying $1/$1.50 to play your games on the Wii U, you are given the option of paying that price to play on the gamepad and use the new features which costs time and money to implement.

The Wii U has a "System Transfer" option. I know I definitely expected VC games to transfer over since I don't really care about anything else.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

AngryCaterpillar posted:

So which games do y'all think deserve this?

I thought ZombiU was pretty sweet, even if the developers just admitted that we deserved better melee combat.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Still hoping in vain that the Kirby Collection will turn up in PAL territories :sigh:.

Why would you be hoping for that? Just import it and enjoy the emulated games actually running at the right speed.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I'm actually pretty annoyed that buying a Virtual Console game on the Wii and then redeeming it on Wii U costs more than it will for new users to buy a VC game straight from the Wii U. If they're charging new buyers the same as what they charged on the Wii, despite the new features, then why are they asking for more from existing owners? It also means people will hold off on buying games from the Wii VC in case they become available on the new system later, because overall it's cheaper to buy straight from Wii U.

Wait, what? I'm confused (and I don't own a Wii U yet). I thought you could just transfer any games from the Wii to the Wii U.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

AngryCaterpillar posted:

There are only two ways to address this (I think) which would make things "fair" given your argument:

1. Give everyone who bought the Wii VC version the Wii U version for free.
2. Increase prices for those who are buying the game for the first time to match that of the cost to buy the Wii VC + upgrade cost.

#2 is bad for consumers overall no matter how we slice it so we shouldn't desire that. I'd agree that #1 would be fair except for the fact that everyone who bought Wii VC games can still play them on the Wii U for free. They just aren't getting the extra features which did cost money to implement and test. I am okay with paying a dollar more for that sort of added value.

Also, you got something of value which first time buyers are not getting now. You bought the opportunity to play those games on a console during the Wii's lifespan. It is hard to argue that there isn't value associated with that so to suggest that some how this situation involves a penalty doesn't make sense to me.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Red posted:

Wait, what? I'm confused (and I don't own a Wii U yet). I thought you could just transfer any games from the Wii to the Wii U.

You can, but those Wii games will only be playable in Wii mode. If you want to play them with all the nifty Wii U features, you have to pay the upgrade fee. Otherwise they'll be the exact same way they always were in Wii mode.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Artix74 posted:

You can, but those Wii games will only be playable in Wii mode. If you want to play them with all the nifty Wii U features, you have to pay the upgrade fee. Otherwise they'll be the exact same way they always were in Wii mode.

But no matter what, you can't bring over your save states? At first, I thought: so what? Then I remembered A Link to the Past...

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Red posted:

But no matter what, you can't bring over your save states? At first, I thought: so what? Then I remembered A Link to the Past...

Yeah? It transfers your saves over too. The system transfer basically copies the entire Wii system memory (saves, games, Wii points on the shop, licenses, etc.) and puts it on the Wii U.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Artix74 posted:

Yeah? It transfers your saves over too. The system transfer basically copies the entire Wii system memory (saves, games, Wii points on the shop, licenses, etc.) and puts it on the Wii U.
I have to imagine a saved state wouldn't carry over between Wii and Wii U VC versions of the same game though, if that's what he's asking.

I'm totally okay with the "upgrade" system because, as people have mentioned, you are still free to play what you already bought in its original form. Once I get a sense of what the WUVC release schedule is gonna be like, I'll probably buy a bunch of old VC stuff, and assume the risk that I might wanna pay ~$1 to updgrade if a new version comes out. I'll just buy responsibly, and realize that it might not be the greatest idea to buy VC Super Mario Bros. 3 if they just put out a new version of the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

According to a lenghty write-up on Eurogamer, Nintendo's gonna release their third-quarter sales, which'll reveal just how many consoles they have sold (something I've been unable to find for Europe).
Eurogamer's article isn't really positive and continue the old doom gloom thing, but I still think it's a reasonable article.

• Locked thread