Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Urban Wizard posted:

Apparently my old laptop had "A crisp 15.4" high-resolution display including the 100 percent Adobe® Color Gamut RGB LED display." so whatever I can get that is as close to that as possible, the better.

That is an unusually good backlight for a notebook display. Generally you only see RGB LED backlights on very high-end desktop displays. The current crop of monitors usually use white LEDs that give you about 80% of AdobeRGB or 100% of sRGB. The slightly older Dells had CCFLs and could do wide-gamut (close to 100% of AdobeRGB). Something like a U2410. You pay a premium though, compared to a U2412 (the current model with a smaller gamut).

You might find that a good desktop display (like the U2412) with an IPS panel and a bright backlight will be good enough compared to your Samsung, even if you don't get a wide-gamut display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mr. Fix It posted:

Most video cards can handle the scaling themselves. Barring that, run everything in native :v:
The question about scaling always confused me. Have people never tried running an LCD in non-native res? What did they think happened when they went into Display Properties and changed the resolution?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Josh Lyman posted:

The question about scaling always confused me. Have people never tried running an LCD in non-native res? What did they think happened when they went into Display Properties and changed the resolution?

Depends on whether the graphics card is doing the scaling, or the monitor itself. A lot of the time its done on the monitor

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

dissss posted:

Depends on whether the graphics card is doing the scaling, or the monitor itself. A lot of the time its done on the monitor
Maybe I'm the confused one. When you first installed Windows XP on, say, a 1280x1024 LCD back in 2006, the first time you booted into Windows, it would be running at something like 800x600 but that would take up the whole screen. Isn't that the video card doing the scaling?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Josh Lyman posted:

Maybe I'm the confused one. When you first installed Windows XP on, say, a 1280x1024 LCD back in 2006, the first time you booted into Windows, it would be running at something like 800x600 but that would take up the whole screen. Isn't that the video card doing the scaling?

No it would have been the monitor back then.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
I deleted my previous post in this thread and posted in the PC Building and Upgrading thread, but they sent me back here. Perhaps I should have just been more patient with my original post. :shobon:
Crossposting from the aforementioned thread:
--------------------

I'm looking at buying two new monitors for my wife now that she is doing some amateur photo editing work, and because she has previously mentioned that using her current monitor (an LG E2340V) gives her a headache.

Looking at monitors seems to be the deepest rabbit hole I've fallen in to since choosing a stereo amp!

I'm hoping to spend no more than $500 each for a pair of IPS panels. The models I've been looking at are:

Dell UltraSharp U2412M - ~AUD$310
Dell UltraSharp U2410 - ~AUD$500
HP ZR2440w - ~AUD$440
Asus PA246Q - ~AUD$500

Remembering that she is only doing amateur work, and that the only calibration equipment I have is a ColorMunki Photo that I use for my work to get monitors within the ballpark of being correct, what should I be looking at? I've read heaps of reviews on the above monitors, but there seems to be just as much opinion or brand loyalty/hate as there is real information. I know there is a big difference between $310 and $500, but I'd prefer to spend $1000 on some monitors I'll be happy with for the next four years, than spend $600 on a pair that will always make me wish I just spent that bit extra.

Also very happy to hear any other suggestions. Thanks in advance!

coeur de pirate
Sep 7, 2011
I'm looking for a desk mounted monitor stand to fit on an acheiva shimian 27". The table I am planning to mount it to is a glass desk. Would this be possible to do?

I've tried looking monoprice for a good clamp on mount but a lot of the reviews complain about the inability to tighten it on to a thin desk without having to layer it with a block of wood.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Anyone in the UK, huge discount on a U2713HM right now:

Presumably bringing it down to £406.90..

(If it was already shown, apologies)

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Shows up as 40% for me, bringing it down to £382 inc P&P - code is D1JP0M66DHWLVP

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Carpet posted:

Shows up as 40% for me, bringing it down to £382 inc P&P - code is D1JP0M66DHWLVP

Holy poo poo, hell of a deal..

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Why the hell can't the US store ever get those kinds of deals what the heck dell :mad:

Blaminator
Apr 16, 2007

"He seriously didn't go mech?"
Unbelieveable, I'm so tempted to buy it, how does it compare to the U2711? I might have read something in this thread about it but I'm not sure what page it's on.

Blaminator fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 29, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Blaminator posted:

Unbelieveable, I'm so tempted to buy it, how does it compare to the U2711? I might have read something in this thread about it but I'm not sure what page it's on.

TFT Central had a good review on it, and compares it in several places against the U2711.

Blaminator
Apr 16, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

TFT Central had a good review on it, and compares it in several places against the U2711.

Just what I needed, thanks!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Ramadu posted:

Why the hell can't the US store ever get those kinds of deals what the heck dell :mad:
Maybe because of VAT eating up the rest of the supposed savings? On the other hand, with what I pay in taxes and various non-state programs overall, I pay more than the average Britton for substantially worse benefits from my state... and I'm in the 2nd highest tax bracket in the US.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Just returned another lovely quality U2412M. Is it worth crossing my fingers again and hoping to get one that is actually built correctly, or are there any 16:10 IPS monitors ( ≤$400 price range ) coming out soon that I should wait for?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
You could check out the HP ZR2440w and the older ZR24w. They're both 24" 16:10 IPS monitors. My co-worker bought the ZR24w a while back and it's very nice. I think the ZR2440w is the newer version.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

Maybe because of VAT eating up the rest of the supposed savings? On the other hand, with what I pay in taxes and various non-state programs overall, I pay more than the average Britton for substantially worse benefits from my state... and I'm in the 2nd highest tax bracket in the US.

The listed price should include VAT.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I adore my ZR24w, and really wish I bought a second one instead of the 22inch wide screen I got. That has a nice picture too but the colors don't match and I just prefer my ZR24w more.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I am looking for some recommendations for a triple monitor stand or wall mounts for my three Dell u2412m monitors. I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Calidus posted:

I am looking for some recommendations for a triple monitor stand or wall mounts for my three Dell u2412m monitors. I figured this would be the best place to ask.

MDM11S and get additional arms.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think that's actually a review for the U2713H (no M) which I think seems to be aimed more at image editing professionals - the review talks about how it has wider colour spaces than the U2713HM

There's a U2713HM review here.

spiderlemur
Nov 6, 2010
nevermind

spiderlemur fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 31, 2013

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I was going to drop in and let people know I decided on a 120hz monitor but it lasted 10 minutes before either the backlight or the inverter went out :( At least for the 10 minutes I had it, it was awesome.

Blaminator
Apr 16, 2007

Carpet posted:

I think that's actually a review for the U2713H (no M) which I think seems to be aimed more at image editing professionals - the review talks about how it has wider colour spaces than the U2713HM

There's a U2713HM review here.

Yeah I noticed this too, it does make some comparisons between the U2711, U2713H and U2713HM, but thanks for the full review.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Looking to upgrade my monitor from 22in>27in can anyone tell me about AOC e2752Vh. Really wanting to get into a 27in monitor open to suggestions around the same price range. On new egg the normal brands I'm used just disappear and I've never heard of AOC. Thanks in advance.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Got a Dell U2713HM in the mail today, plugged it in an hour ago. Going to return it: check out this awesome image retention!

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 1, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I went to the U2713HM from my U2412M's and I like the monitor pretty well. Text can be uncomfortably small in web browsers. When I increase text size it can make pages look all fucky. Overall though I feel like its the best compromise between all my options.

Also I got one of these and plugged it into the monitor's usb hub and it makes a nice difference to the ambiance of my room.
http://www.frys.com/product/6634394
Note not my picture.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Tenzarin posted:

Looking to upgrade my monitor from 22in>27in can anyone tell me about AOC e2752Vh. Really wanting to get into a 27in monitor open to suggestions around the same price range. On new egg the normal brands I'm used just disappear and I've never heard of AOC. Thanks in advance.

Having one of their monitors in the past, AOC's not a company I'd recommend. Additionally a 1920x1080 resolution isn't going to look very hot on a screen that size due to the relatively lack of pixel density (my old 23" Viewsonic had that resolution while my current Korean 27" iRun has 2560x1440). If that's not a concern and you're trying to keep the price low, I'd go with one of these: Asus VE278Q or the Dell U2711 from the OP. I'm sure you could probably find a deal on the Dell somewhere as well.

Many don't like the idea of dealing with Ebay (myself among them, to be honest) and Korean monitors, but I've been having a great experience with my current monitor and the seller was more than accommodating. Also, being a glossy screen, don't have any of the eyestrain I had with my previous monitor and its aggressive anti-glare coating. Though the lack of AG-coating can be problematic depending on your lighting situation.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 2, 2013

Fiscal Conservative
Feb 26, 2006

Coredump posted:

I went to the U2713HM from my U2412M's and I like the monitor pretty well. Text can be uncomfortably small in web browsers. When I increase text size it can make pages look all fucky. Overall though I feel like its the best compromise between all my options.

Also I got one of these and plugged it into the monitor's usb hub and it makes a nice difference to the ambiance of my room.
http://www.frys.com/product/6634394
Note not my picture.

Are those lights connected to a normal usb cable? I have extra led strip lights from home improvements, i'm wondering if its easy as cutting a usb cable and soldering.

Fiscal Conservative fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 2, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Fiscal Conservative posted:

Are those lights connected to a normal usb cable? I have extra led strip lights from home improvements, i'm wondering if its easy as cutting a usb cable and soldering.
Typical USB output is 5 volts at 100mA. Most powered hubs (like a monitor) can output 500mA and some go up to 2A. USB spec says the device is supposed to start in low-power mode (100mA) and tell the port how much current it needs. Some hubs just let the devices draw as much current as they want. If you can get the lights to come on with half a watt then I guess it should work but I'd suggest testing it on a cheapo hub first instead of your high dollar monitor. Actually, I'd suggest just spending the six bucks on the device made for this purpose.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ghostpilot posted:

Having one of their monitors in the past, AOC's not a company I'd recommend. Additionally a 1920x1080 resolution isn't going to look very hot on a screen that size due to the relatively lack of pixel density (my old 23" Viewsonic had that resolution while my current Korean 27" iRun has 2560x1440). If that's not a concern and you're trying to keep the price low, I'd go with one of these: Asus VE278Q or the Dell U2711 from the OP. I'm sure you could probably find a deal on the Dell somewhere as well.

Thanks I guess ill go down to a 24" then.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I'm looking for a sub $300 IPS monitor, 23" or smaller. It'll be used for digital painting, so color reproduction is important. TFT recommended the Dell U2312HM and the NEC EA232WMi. Of the two I'm leaning toward the NEC for the better contrast and black depth. Are there any other models I should be considering? Maybe something with a glossy finish?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I read the OP, and I gather that this is the epitome of a budget, yet baseline quality monitor for someone with no specific needs outside of the resolution and HDMI connection?

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VS247H-P-24-Inch-Full-HD-Monitor/dp/B005BZNDS0/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=541966&s=pc

If no one has any input, I understand; I picked an ASUS because the OP said so, and otherwise it looks the same as other cheap TNs like it. It's 24 inches though, which seems high, and is the $145 w/ rebate price point good?

vvv Sweet, I bought it. :)

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 3, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

UP AND ADAM posted:

I read the OP, and I gather that this is the epitome of a budget, yet baseline quality monitor for someone with no specific needs outside of the resolution and HDMI connection?

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VS247H-P-24-Inch-Full-HD-Monitor/dp/B005BZNDS0/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=541966&s=pc

If no one has any input, I understand; I picked an ASUS because the OP said so, and otherwise it looks the same as other cheap TNs like it. It's 24 inches though, which seems high, and is the $145 w/ rebate price point good?

That monitor is fantastic for the price. I have 2 of them and I rep them every time I see an opportunity.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Has anyone used/have the Dell U2913HM? It seems like a decent single monitor for replacing dual monitor set-ups (not that I have one, but am looking towards one). I was just wondering how a monitor like that would fair gaming wise/general usability. Would full screen 2560x1080 even be possible? Or is it to obscure of a resolution for game developers to worry about?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Guni posted:

Has anyone used/have the Dell U2913HM? It seems like a decent single monitor for replacing dual monitor set-ups (not that I have one, but am looking towards one). I was just wondering how a monitor like that would fair gaming wise/general usability. Would full screen 2560x1080 even be possible? Or is it to obscure of a resolution for game developers to worry about?

Seems like of pointless to me when the U2713HM has a higher resolution.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

MancXVI posted:

Seems like of pointless to me when the U2713HM has a higher resolution.

Very true, although it is about $200 cheaper than the U2713HM..

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Guni posted:

Very true, although it is about $200 cheaper than the U2713HM..

Same price for me on amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kittykisses
Mar 20, 2009
So, after my tax return I am looking to upgrade my 23'' Dell IPS panel to a 30'' IPS screen. I can get the U3011 right now for right around $1k, but I am debating whether or not its worth waiting for the U3014.

I know the big shift with the U3014 will be the LED back lighting and potentially the coating, but I'm unsure whether or not it will be worth the (what I'm guessing will be) $300-$600 jump in price.

I'm using the monitor primarily for coding and gaming, but honestly ghosting on my current 23'' Dell IPS and 26'' TN panel doesn't bother me. I definitely want to go 30'' and can't go back to a TN panel.

Any advice goons?