Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spills the Moon
Aug 20, 2008

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I have a degree in history so my tolerance for museums is much higher than the average person but I don't think I would go to maybe more than 3. I'm mostly interested in the National History Museum and the War Memorial.

EDIT: I don't know any Korean too so I'm sure that shortens the list. I'm used to getting museums that only have Chinese displays in China but I do speak/read Chinese at an intermediate level.

As someone who will be at some point entering grad school to study Korean history in some capacity, pretty much every time I leave the house it's to go see some historical stuff, whether it's a museum or some shiny old buildings. So I can give you a few suggestions, even though it will be stuff that is absurdly boring to most people.

I'm actually going to have to disagree with some people about the whole 'pshaw, it's only worth going to see stuff if it's the original'thing. I mean, I can understand the sentiment, but a reconstruction or not, going to Gyeongbokgung or Changdeok-gung still fascinated me and left me feeling more enriched in the history I've spent so much time learning. For the most part they're historically accurate anyways. It's not like they're saying "Yes, here is where King Sejong watched TV on his Samsung SmarTV and sent out edicts on his LG XNote." Most old Korean buildings were made out of wood anyways, so they tended to burn down regardless of how well people tried to preserve them. Just look at Namdaemun, which was the oldest wooden structure in all of Korea before some crazy old guy with a grudge decided to burn it down back in 2008.

Now, all that aside, if you are into the whole 'original, or get out' thing then my strongest recommendation would be to do the Fortress Wall hike in Seoul. A lot of it is reconstruction, but they've rebuilt onto what was left of the original wall. What I thought was really neat about it is that they've got these placards that show how you can distinguish the bits of masonry and figure out during which major repair year the stones were placed in. So as you walk along you can go "Oh yeah this bit is from the original construction in the 1400s" or "Oh this bit was put in the 1700s" Most people would find it really boring, but for me it was an amazing adventure.

People have mentioned the National Museum and the War Museum, but I'd like to add Seodeamun Prison and the Independence Hall. They're both very nationalistic, but I thought they were fascinating for what they taught me about the Colonial Era and what Koreans took away from it, even if it is very over the top. You're only coming for a week so you'll be okay though so you probably won't start vomiting and pooping all over the place like most of us who have been here for a long time do whenever we are confronted with Korean nationalism.

Also if you get down to Gyeongju (which I highly recommend to any person interested in Korean history) there is a cool museum about Silla. Also Bulguk-sa and Seokguran are really neat. And the tombs, oh and this place that had a ton of old wall carvings (don't remember the name).

Holy poo poo this is officially my longest post on SA. This is the first time I've got to go on about Korean history which I'm kind of into, if you couldn't tell, so please bear with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh yeah, I've done battle with a few of the giant Asian hornets in class. For some reason my heroics there only last a day but the sparrow was a bigger deal. Even though the hornet is literally deadly. :iiam:

I always use poison though, I'm impressed you baseballed it.

It was a panicked swing and a lucky shot.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Cameron posted:

Korean people are very scared of pigeons. It's pretty funny.

Yes the skittish Korean cowers in irrational fear when approached by dirty street birds. Unlike the noble white race which stands tall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYqb4TClz6A

:negative:

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Also, Koreans seem to eat a lot of Kimchi, what's up with that?

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
"All Koreans act like children too." Direct quote from the Filipina gas station attendant. gently caress dudes, I want to move to dumaguette, I made 3000 pesos (90k won) helping uni students with homework today alone .

The Bible
May 8, 2010

This thread seems determined to pick up right where it left off.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

The Bible posted:

This thread seems determined to pick up right where it left off.

How many pages before a "Koreans are..." Can we make a lovely little website with a tear away calendar like thing? " 2 days since a Koreans are... post"

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
To be fair... that list was hilarious and a light hearted responce to nationalistic yellow journalism. Next was philipinos trash talking about korea to Maxwell, pretty openly I’m assuming. Hes finding it funny how openly they bash others. Nullscan is just a terrible poster so itsallright.

I wouldnt jump the gun on decrying "Koreans are all..." yet.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Shut up... we need nullscan's apt for goon meets and Songtan Sally rendezvous's (how do you pluralize rendezvous?)

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
So for the record, Bora is okay?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

AmbientParadox posted:

So for the record, Bora is okay?

She's fine and apologizes for worrying us. As she should.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Y'all are just determined to make this poo poo a thing, huh. Clearly satirical post about the Korean tabloid that T works for deserves a half page of analysis. Quit Humanities Majoring it up guys, Jesus.

We need some new blood in here. this poo poo wouldn't happen so often if we had a half dozen "What the gently caress is T-money guys? gently caress they're all yelling at me :ohdear:" posts.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
New blood comes in like 3 weeks, but it's gonna be small because of all the budget cuts.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

We're done. This is the crew. No more blood for the blood king.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
The pre-orientation info pack for Jeonju says there might be four people to a room.

Should be fun trying to have a wank in those conditions.

I mean, I suppose theoretically it could be a lot of fun...

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

My roommate was girlfriended up by day 4 of orientation.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
I met my husband at orientation back in the day.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Everyone knows the only racist in our crew is Khirbykhan anyways.

He just refuses to acknowledge that life is hardest for the white male landowner. :argh:

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Y'all are just determined to make this poo poo a thing, huh. Clearly satirical post about the Korean tabloid that T works for deserves a half page of analysis. Quit Humanities Majoring it up guys, Jesus.

We need some new blood in here. this poo poo wouldn't happen so often if we had a half dozen "What the gently caress is T-money guys? gently caress they're all yelling at me :ohdear:" posts.

What's the matter, banned on ESL Cafe?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
AAAAGH YBM KIM is driving me loving crazy.

quote:

What day is it in Oops land? February 5th. Nope, days are thirty hours in Oops land. Ah, it's February 4rth. Yup

NO IT loving ISN'T YOU TWATS! YOU CAN'T JUST APPLY THE HOURS IN A DAY TO ONE DAY AND MAKE A GUESS! THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS! IT COULD BE LITERALLY ANY DAY AAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHH!!! IT'S loving WHALES ARE FISH ALL OVER AGAIN!

Why does this bother me so much? :saddowns:

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

TL, you ok, buddy? Did the Bengals losing and spending a vacation with Kant cause you to snap?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NO IT loving ISN'T YOU TWATS! YOU CAN'T JUST APPLY THE HOURS IN A DAY TO ONE DAY AND MAKE A GUESS! THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS! IT COULD BE LITERALLY ANY DAY AAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHH!!! IT'S loving WHALES ARE FISH ALL OVER AGAIN!

Bro don't worry. We finally got dwarfed in the LP thread. We made it. Everything will turn out just fine. :cheers:

nullscan
May 28, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

Nullscan is just a terrible poster so itsallright.

No more lunch beers for you mister :mad:

I was just mocking the Koreans are thread before it got started. Jeeeeeez maaaaan.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

nullscan posted:

No more lunch beers for you mister :mad:

I was just mocking the Koreans are thread before it got started. Jeeeeeez maaaaan.

You post in GiP too. It all comes from love.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Toussiant Louverture, teacher is taken by a fey mood.

This is an adamantine goblet. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with adamantine and encircled with native gold. This object menaces with spikes of horse bone.
On the item is an image of a teacher and children in opal. the Teacher is surrounded by the children. The teacher is crying. The children are laughing. This image relates to the discovery of Dokdo in the fall of 2011.
On the item is an image of a pigeon and Koreans in ivory. The pigeon is menacing the Koreans. The Koreans are fleeing. This image relates to all Koreans.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Use makgeolli on the goblet.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

That upsets you but the giant talking fire entity that enrages and enlarges when you get a question wrong, that is cool? The point of that is that she asked the question wrong, not that she did lovely math. Fantasy worlds have fantasy calendar systems, deal with it. Chill.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

When kant tells you to chill, you take serious stock in your life

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

What the hell are you guys talking about? Can we go back to racist generalizations? You guys are making no sense and I'm scared.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Kant, I'm surprised at you. You of all people should know that a fantasy setting doesn't excuse logical inconsistencies and poor math.

Bugblatter posted:

What the hell are you guys talking about? Can we go back to racist generalizations? You guys are making no sense and I'm scared.

Public School Textbooks are poo poo.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So if I am seeing this right, someone did a Dwarf Fortress winter camp that failed spectacularly?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cameron posted:

So if I am seeing this right, someone did a Dwarf Fortress winter camp that failed spectacularly?

The proper term is Fun.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Toussiant Louverture, teacher is taken by a fey mood.

This is an adamantine goblet. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with adamantine and encircled with native gold. This object menaces with spikes of horse bone.
On the item is an image of a teacher and children in opal. the Teacher is surrounded by the children. The teacher is crying. The children are laughing. This image relates to the discovery of Dokdo in the fall of 2011.
On the item is an image of a pigeon and Koreans in ivory. The pigeon is menacing the Koreans. The Koreans are fleeing. This image relates to all Koreans.

When did they introduce Ivory? I'm calling bullshit.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Kant, I'm surprised at you. You of all people should know that a fantasy setting doesn't excuse logical inconsistencies and poor math.

Public School Textbooks are poo poo.

The situation is not inherently logically inconsistent nor does it necessarily have poor math. We know nothing about how this world is constructed. For all we know this could be a segmented world where each segment rotates at a different rate and the various '-lands' on those segments could have different calendars. That Magicland world is all kinds of hosed, you are just seeing the tale end of it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Are you sure you guys didn't just mix up your school text books with some Dungeons and Dragons book or some poo poo?

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012
Can I bum a Gangnam off one of you guys?

http://nwww.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20130130000387

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Nice, only 4 months too late.

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Unfortunately I'm coming from Feb. 9th-16th so most sports are on their off season. I would love to go to a baseball game.

Are any of the other cities worth visiting for a day? Since it's the holiday season traveling outside of Seoul is probably unfeasible.

The info given so far has been great, thanks guys.

Grand Fromage posted:

Gyeongju was the capital of the first unified Korean kingdom. Lots of stuff there to see. Other cities in Korea are largely identical so I wouldn't bother with just a week, but Gyeongju would be worth a trip if you want to get out of Seoul. Traveling would be fine, Seollal isn't nearly as big a deal here as Spring Festival in China. I wouldn't try to leave Seoul during it but from Tuesday on you should be fine.

yes, just coming to say this. Gyeongju. Possibly my favorite city in Korea (would be a shoo-in but Seoul has the Dongdaemun fabric market). As a history lover=, you might be awed and impressed by Cheomseongdae, which is an observatory dating back to the 7th century. Not much to see, really, but in a country where very few historical structures are still (originals) standing, a 30 foot tall pile of rocks with no (at least not discernible to me) mortar is pretty drat cool.

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Shut up... we need nullscan's apt for goon meets and Songtan Sally rendezvous's (how do you pluralize rendezvous?)

Rendezvousies? Truth is, though, rendezvous is still rendezvous as a plural.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012
Gyeongju would be a nightmare to reach during Lunar New Year of course.

I looked it up, and the plural of rendezvous is rendezvous, but with the S not silent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'll have to look into going to Gyeaongju.

Korea sounds a lot like China in terms of most of the historic sites being reconstructions. I'm sure China leads in decapitated Buddhist statues though.

You really can't hold it against a country for their historic wooden structures being reconstructions because you have to rebuild them every so many years. For instance even shrines in Japan that have been maintained for hundreds of years and weren't damaged by WWII are still reconstructed every so many years in order to maintain them. It's something that really can't be helped.

• Locked thread