Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Oh poo poo is that the model with the true 690cc engine? :neckbeard:

Another one of my friends just bought a 690 out here and he's going to bring it by this weekend. I've missed KTMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It's me. I'm the goon in the well. Earlier in the thread I was talking about getting a brand new bike, and my two main contenders were the new Triumph Street Triple R or the MV Agusta Brutale 675. After using my best puppy-eyed expression, I got to sit on the Brutale at the Stockholm Bike Show (they had "DONT SIT ON THE BIKE" signs on the MVs), and jesus christ on a crutch that bike is not made for my goony body. I could feel right away that it wasn't to be. :(

So what did I do? I sulked and moped for a while. And on friday I'm probably gonna make a down payment on this. :downs:

Brand new 690 SMC R. The well, it's calling me...

This is the exact opposite of goon in a well. In that situation the goon goes on to do something that no one cares about and won't listen to good advice.

You've gone and done something we ALL approve of and in fact have probably made a better choice than the two given before.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Brand new 690 SMC R. The well, it's calling me...

Yeah this is like a thousand times better than what you were looking at before.

Beware the patented KTM automatic weight-shedding technology, but I sure wouldn't kick one of those out of bed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What's the difference between "superbike" bars and "euro" bars?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Wonderful. I can't wait till it comes state side so I can do the same. Post everything.

Edit: Ex-owner protips
Really securely fashion your license plate
Those rear turn signals will break soon, and the exhaust side one will melt. Get some short LED ones and they'll last
Watch for the header on your riding pants, it'll melt everything you wear
Might be different for the new ones but there is a 2nd gear mod you can do, really simple, just pulling a wire, that livens it up a lot
Have a play with the engine map settings switch under the seat (Refer to manual). Makes a big difference.

Valve checks are easy, they use expensive oil but its worth it. The engines are lovely and bulletproof and stand up to endless abuse. Enjoy it.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 30, 2013

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Sagebrush posted:

What's the difference between "superbike" bars and "euro" bars?

I asked myself the same thing when looking for bars. I ended up buying the "euro" bars because I think they had 10mm more rise or something insignificant like that.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

After I finished warming up the CM400 for the ride home this afternoon, I started to push in the choke and as I got it almost completely off, the knob just froze. It can rotate a little bit, but will not go in or out. Luckily the choke was either already off at this point, or was close enough I couldn't tell the difference.

Has my cable broken? Is something just stuck down in the carb area?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The ring around the knob can be turned to increase/decrease friction of the choke knob shaft. Turn it counterclockwise to loosen it.

Also, the choke knob shaft has a flat bit stamped into it, to keep the knob itself from spinning (it should always say "CHOKE" normally, not upside-down or sideways). Make sure the knob is oriented correctly before trying to move it in/out.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I've got one of those "get a farmer, chicken, fox, and bag of grain across the river in a boat" kind of puzzle going on

- I have a Ninja 500 with a pinhole-leaking tank on my bike parked on the street
- I have a non-leaking, non-rusty tank off eBay for $75
- I have no car, and live in an apartment, so I have nowhere to store any gas-related thing safely, or even leave the tank sitting for more than a few hours without risking a fine for dumping and/or leaving flammables laying around in public.

Any suggestions on how to go about getting rid of the old tank? In current condition it can't be worth more than $20 or so, and I'm willing to lose that just to be rid of it.

I can't just throw it in a dumpster (ethically/safety-wise), can't just dump it in a vacant lot. I'd be tempted to just put it on the sidewalk with a sign saying "FREE/GRATIS" (or, it being DC, "PLEASE DON'T STEAL") but that probably risks some kind of fine too.

I tried putting it on Craigslist in the motorcycle section, no dice. Tried CL in the "Free stuff" section, and no matter how clearly I indicated "GAS TANK for motorcycle" and put "I am not giving away a motorcycle, I am giving away a gas tank", I get multiple daily calls/texts/emails from morons saying "YES I WOULD LIKE THE FREE MOTORCYCLE!!!"

Any suggestions on how to be rid of this extra tank, safely and ethically?

My next bright idea is to put it back on CL Free Stuff, but label the ad "15 pounds of scrap steel" and see if anyone wants it for that. Dented/rusty Ninja tanks don't appear to be hard to find, so not sure how long it'd take to find someone with an actual desire for one.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I can't just throw it in a dumpster (ethically/safety-wise),

Throw it in a dumpster.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

I've got one of those "get a farmer, chicken, fox, and bag of grain across the river in a boat" kind of puzzle going on

• Ride the bike with the old tank to a scrap yard at a higher elevation than your apartment
  • Coast back to your apartment

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Empty the tank almost all the way, then seal it up and throw it in a bonfire. Keep a camera handy.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Drain the tank, fill it with soil and plant a lone flower in it as an art piece to show your dedication to the environment and faithful reuse of the beauty of human produced goods.

Or make it a cumvase. Up to you.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

What if you drain the tank in some fashion, fill it with water to display fumes etc., punch some holes or flatten it or ruin it in some way, then throw it in the dumpster? From a safety point of view that would satisfy me, although I'd probably throw the tank in the dumpster at night because observers don't know it's empty of gas.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Geirskogul posted:

Throw it in a dumpster.

Problem is I'm the only Kawasaki Ninja for several blocks radius, so if anyone sees it and gets upset about it it'll be relatively obvious who dumped it there.

quote:

Ride the bike with the old tank to a scrap yard at a higher elevation than your apartment
Coast back to your apartment

Clever idea, very riddle-y, but part of the reason I need it off is to clean out the carbs so it'll run, so I need the old tank good and gone before I get the engine to turn over.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Serious response that I think should satisfy all the regulations except the apartment fire code:

Buy a good quality gas can, the kind that has the CARB-approved no-vapor seal. Drain the gas tank into this can. Put the can in a duffel bag and carry it to your apartment so no one sees you doing it. Open the motorcycle tank, let it air out. Take the tank off, put the new one on, ride out to the scrapyard and scrap the old one (or CL it). Come back. Take the old gas, strap it to the back of your bike, and take it to the hazardous waste depot.

If you can find a way of getting the old gas to the hazmat site without having to store it in the apartment, you won't even violate that one.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

Problem is I'm the only Kawasaki Ninja for several blocks radius, so if anyone sees it and gets upset about it it'll be relatively obvious who dumped it there.

Clever idea, very riddle-y, but part of the reason I need it off is to clean out the carbs so it'll run, so I need the old tank good and gone before I get the engine to turn over.

Got access to a sawzall?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Sagebrush posted:

Take the tank off, put the new one on, ride out to the scrapyard and scrap the old one

I'm assuming he doesn't have the ability to transport a gas tank with his motorcycle...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why? Strap it to the back of the seat or something.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
My motorcycle transports a gas tank every time I ride, what's the problem?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

This doesn't seem to be a huge problem. Are you worried that your neighbors are really going to completely spazz out if they see you doing ANYTHING even SLIGHTLY shady?

If not, take old tank off. Put new tank on.

If there's more than a gallon of gas in the old tank, pour it into the new tank through a filter (like a sock or something).

Take the filler cap off. Leave it sitting next to you, on the sidewalk, in front of your bike, while you drink a beer.

Nearly all fumes are now out of the stupid tank, so throw the stupid thing in the dumpster. There's more oily waste from your pizza boxes than that drat tank.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Hey, didn't think it was much of a problem, but I'm coming up for my annual service and I just wanted to check - rust on the nuts (ba-dum-tish) is normal, right? Googled CBR125 cockpit and found one with exactly the same as mine -

(don't think this is image leeching since it's from an image upload site).

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Kilersquirrel posted:

Got access to a sawzall?

I knew someone that got rid of an entire 300zx (parts car) by sawzalling it into pieces small enough to fit in garbage bins and throwing it out over a couple months.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I'm flying to Austin TX this Friday to visit my football buddy (who helped push me into bieks) and watch the Superbowl. During the conference finals, he had called me and said to place a $50 longshot bet on the Ravens, stating that if they won we would use the money to rent a motorcycle for me when I was there. Against my better judgement I did, and now I have like $150 extra dollars.

Problem: all of the rental places I can find want 1-2years+ riding experience, when I have about 5 months/MSF. I'm 27, have a completely clean driving/insurance record etc. Anyone have experience in this kinda thing? Should I call, explain my situation, and offer to purchase max insurance options? We'd only be out riding one day. Or will they laugh politely at me and hang up?

The backup plan is to have him rent and I'll ride his Suzuki Boulevard, which is fine but I already daily-ride a cruiser and was hoping for an excuse to try out something new :v:

Note: I do not plan on mentioning that the rental is funded by my high-roller gambling lifestyle :cool:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
How many miles have you put on in the last 5 months? Honestly, MSF alone probably puts you above most people with "1-2 years riding experience". You can have had a bike sitting in your garage for a year and have ridden a total of 150 miles (and I have seen that scenario).

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Z3n posted:

How many miles have you put on in the last 5 months? Honestly, MSF alone probably puts you above most people with "1-2 years riding experience". You can have had a bike sitting in your garage for a year and have ridden a total of 150 miles (and I have seen that scenario).

~1100. We'd just be out for a day, cruising the mild hill country outside of Austin. I need to take into account engine size and weight in regards to BBQ eaten...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd say you're probably ok then. Just don't go with something too crazy. :) Personal control and care counts for more than anything else.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Your experience isn't huge but I'd agree with z3n that you're probably a cut above someone with a "year or two" of experience(could be 5k miles, could be 3 weekend bar trips a year) and no MSF. I kind of use "experience" as a general gauge...when I'm talking with non-riders I'll describe my experience in years, when I'm chatting with fellow bros it's in miles per year per bike and any bragging rights trips.

I've never rented a motorcycle but I'd hope the rental places are more human than bureaucracy, although that might be naive if they operate more like insurance agencies.

I'd go with your first thought and call them up. Hopefully you can plead your case, and their 1-2 year limit is flexible and meant to weed out fools and newbs. If their looking for basic competence on the bike you should be able to show that easily.

A side tip tho, based on my personal experience with people interaction: I'd try to do this in person if at all possible. Maybe you could call them up early to get a feeler for it, but be general and don't give them too much identifying information. I'd definitely try to see them in person to plead your case.

On the phone they know nothing about you, there's very little personal connection, and it's easy for them to say "no" and cite "the rules". To them, you might just be another dumbass with no experience trying to wreck one of their bikes. Beside that, whoever answered the phone could be less interested in helping your situation and more interested on other work/reading facebook/whatever. If you show up in person with your gear, a buddy on a cruiser, a friendly demeanor, and list of reasons why you should be fine to ride (along with concessions like high insurance), your chances will go way up imo. You could still get a huge ego hardass who follows the letter of the rule, but it's a better chance at success. That said it wouldn't hurt to get a feeler for how they operate... maybe just ringing them up and asking how strict their riding experience requirements are would cover that. keeping yourself anonymous.

Reminder that I have 0 experience with motorcycle rental....hell I didn't know it existed till a about year ago cause I thought they'd have too many totalled harleys. I was just speaking on human interaction and a hope that the rental requirements were open to adjustment.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 30, 2013

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wootcannon posted:

Hey, didn't think it was much of a problem, but I'm coming up for my annual service and I just wanted to check - rust on the nuts (ba-dum-tish) is normal, right? Googled CBR125 cockpit and found one with exactly the same as mine -

(don't think this is image leeching since it's from an image upload site).

Yeah, it's fine, but just yet more evidence of Honda's lovely build quality, you should have bought a nice reliable Italian bike instead.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Funny you should say that, when I was last up in Loch Ness I ended up chatting to a couple of older fellas on bikes going for a wee ride. I asked one how the Transalp was because I was thinking of getting that as my next one, they were saying it's not just a case of the CBR125 being lowest-bidder crap but basically every Honda outside of a couple having "crap finishing".

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Advice should never be ignored, but do remember to take their perspective into account, especially if they were riding bikes built on the Island. Every Honda I've come across has been no worse than any other Japanese manufacturer, but then again I can't compare them to fine Italian build quality...

Every company has cheap bikes and quality bikes, the size of the gap in price between those two types is the biggest difference I see.

I'll listen to any rider's views on manufacturers, but I find that prejudice overrides objectivity more often than not.

For example, a list of bike manufacturers I've heard are unreliable/cheap from different sources:

Harley
Yamaha
Honda
Suzuki
Ducati
Kawasaki
Triumph
KTM
Lifan
BMW
Hyosung
Norton
Gas Gas

Just to illustrate that while some may be true, and some may be false, personal bias comes into play.

Also interesting to note that major failure complaints on bikes seem to be rare and potentially caused by an ID-10-t error. For all the whining about cheapness/reliability, from my views there vastly more bikes dying by crashing than mechanical failure. Of course, that doesn't mean the rider won't blame it on a mechanical :)

nsaP fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 30, 2013

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Before I go do unwarranted damage to my visor, I'm looking to spray something on it to help bead off rain. I've got a can of Honda Cleaner/Polisher that some internet forums have suggested.. But I'd feel much better asking goons first if it's safe enough. Rain-X tends to be frowned on too, from what I'm reading.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

nsaP posted:

Also interesting to note that major failure complaints on bikes seem to be rare and potentially caused by an ID-10-t error. For all the whining about cheapness/reliability, from my views there vastly more bikes dying by crashing than mechanical failure. Of course, that doesn't mean the rider won't blame it on a mechanical :)

There's other factors to consider too. The internet is an amazing echo chamber for complaints, one post about an extremely unlikely critical failure, which may even have been user-caused, gets referenced on fourteen other forums and soon enough it's "Don't buy a [x] all the forums say the wheels fly off if you go over 35mph!" followed by "When are [x] going to admit there is a problem and fix the deadly wheel-flying-off problem on this model!? this is an outrage!".

On top of all that, there's always a technical help sub-forum but there's rarely a "bike is functioning as expected" forum to balance it out. There could be a million happy users who have never felt the need to post online about their bike because it's always done what they expected and never let them down but all you will see online is people complaining about the things that went wrong and a few tutorials about how to prevent the now well known wheels-flying-off-problem.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 30, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Oh yeah, I've been in more than one thread about tire failures and oil types based on those sentiments.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Lothire posted:

Before I go do unwarranted damage to my visor, I'm looking to spray something on it to help bead off rain. I've got a can of Honda Cleaner/Polisher that some internet forums have suggested.. But I'd feel much better asking goons first if it's safe enough. Rain-X tends to be frowned on too, from what I'm reading.

I have a bottle of Nikwax rain-repellant which appears to be the same thing as Rain-X, seems to work pretty great. However, I find that when it's not raining any rain-repellent product usually turns out to also be dust-attractive. These days I just use rain gloves with a handy visor wiper on the finger.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, it's fine, but just yet more evidence of Honda's lovely build quality, you should have bought a nice reliable Italian bike instead.

My CBR125R doesn't have that!

On the other hand, my Aprilia RS125 is really living up to its Italian heritage and now appears to be spontaneously generating gearbox oil that it can leak all over the garage floor.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Lothire posted:

I use Rain-X, it's awesome.

When I can be bothered anyway, most of the time I just wipe rain off with my hand if it builds up more than I like and I can't just have it roll off by turning my head.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

For example, a list of bike manufacturers I've heard are unreliable/cheap from different sources:

Harley
Yamaha
Honda
Suzuki
Ducati
Kawasaki
Triumph
KTM
Lifan
BMW
Hyosung
Norton
Gas Gas

No Aprilia on that list :smug:

Shouting Melon posted:

My CBR125R doesn't have that!

On the other hand, my Aprilia RS125 is really living up to its Italian heritage and now appears to be spontaneously generating gearbox oil that it can leak all over the garage floor.

Is that the two-stroke or the four-stroke? Either way it, er, it probably shouldn't be doing that. Have you recently serviced it?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No Aprilia on that list :smug:

April-eya? never heard of it...is that some fancy name for a ducati?

Just a joke, they didn't make the list cause the only people I know that own them are on this forum.

I've asked American Aprilia owners, like n8r, what they say to a regular person who asks what bike they have...if it was me I'd just say "Ducati"....

nsaP fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Until fairly recently my exposure to Aprilia was that it was the bike the glossy mags would throw into comparos where the rear brake wouldn't work from the factory and the ignition would be kaput before the review was over