Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Tremek posted:

Holy crap.

- Custom dualies at all 4 corners
- Wind-up toy prop on the trunk
- Realtree wrap
- Grenade hood ornament (built by and for goons?)
- Powered by 4 naturally aspirated cylinders of FURY. At altitude.

All this can be yours for $7999. This is amazing.

That Jimney wouldn't actually be half bad if your usual haunts were marshy and boggy, but the rear platform makes it a bit hard to use as a shooting truck, and for that sort of money you'd just buy an Argo and be done with it.

e: poo poo, new page:

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Classic-Unique-Cars/Vintage-Classic-Cars/AdNumber=TP005489608

$21,000 for a fairly unremarkable 240Z? Where do I sign up?

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

Tremek posted:

Holy crap.

- Custom dualies at all 4 corners
- Wind-up toy prop on the trunk
- Realtree wrap
- Grenade hood ornament (built by and for goons?)
- Powered by 4 naturally aspirated cylinders of FURY. At altitude.

All this can be yours for $7999. This is amazing.

I'm pretty sure your going to snap those factory axles in short order.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Unremarkable? That thing is remarkable in its undesirability. 260Z 2+2... one of them is an automatic even.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/3558881877.html

Is that last bit a threat? :ohdear:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

$900 OBO 1985 Peugeot 505 Turbo, manual transmission, last of the RWD Peugeots. Clutch needs work apparently, but it's a fairly standard hydraulic setup, should be easy enough to fix. Bring a battery.

http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/3539829275.html

Someone should buy this. Right now.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/3564568260.html

Real gold, 68 deville convertible, Gold. 9500 bucks.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

KozmoNaut posted:

$900 OBO 1985 Peugeot 505 Turbo, manual transmission, last of the RWD Peugeots. Clutch needs work apparently, but it's a fairly standard hydraulic setup, should be easy enough to fix. Bring a battery.

http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/3539829275.html

Someone should buy this. Right now.

We had a 405 growing up.
Those cars would rust in Arizona, that thing is probably nothing but rust chunks holding hands.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/3560024963.html

2001 Jetta TDI GLS 5 speed - $3900

4 grand for a rusty, bashed up TDI with no passenger side mirror and nearly 240k miles? Why bother washing it or even cleaning all of the snow off, it'll sell itself with such a low price! No lowballers, don't waste his time. Almost tempted to wait a month or two then offer him $2k and some cheap beer for it.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 28, 2013

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

4 grand for a rusty, bashed up TDI with no passenger side mirror and nearly 240k miles? Why bother washing it or even cleaning all of the snow off, it'll sell itself with such a low price! No lowballers, don't waste his time. Almost tempted to wait a month or two then offer him $2k and some cheap beer for it.

But its a Diesel. Its good for 700K !

Because for some magic reason, being a diesel none of the other moving parts wear either.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

And VW used the good electronics in the diesels! What always baffles me are the pictures of the very expensive object you want to sell with it looking like a pile of poo poo. Cars stuck in snowbanks, covered in snow/salt/dirt, parked next to a ratty dirtbike laying on its side, at night, full of garbage, etc. Do they actually expect it to sell?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Needs a good buffing and an oil change.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Lambor...4027d3b&vxp=mtr

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Oh, Albany. :)

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
At least it's not Troy.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

At least it's not Troy.

That's like saying 'yes I have cancer, but at least not in both lungs.'

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

It's probably just black painted rust, but I still want it:

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/3535963275.html

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm trying to find reasons to not drain the savings account and fly across the country to buy this.

I'm not doing too well.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm trying to find reasons to not drain the savings account and fly across the country to buy this.

I'm not doing too well.

:stare:

If I was in need of a tourer to do some light wrenching on that is the kind of car I would buy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The grandest tourer.

I say go for it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm not doing too well.

Do it. Then swing by Chicago on your way home. Dooo iiitttt...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm not doing too well.

Man, if I had the money, I would totally drive that beauty back home to Texas. Likely gets better mileage than my FC RX-7 daily driver. Certainly in better shape, body- and paint-wise. I have a soft spot for the 7-series wagons, more so than the 240s.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Are you kidding me? Buy it now.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

At least it's not Troy.

Or Schenectady.

I work part time in Colonie and I love seeing the abject squalor on 787.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm not doing too well.

If it feels good, do it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Buy it, so I will stop seriously considering selling all of my cars to get it myself.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Is that one guy still making the 302 conversion kit for the old Volvos? I'm about to give up on the PRV in my 265 and have a 302 with a T5 that aren't being used at the moment...

edit

Oh man, he's still making the kit. This might turn into my summer project.

http://www.converse-engineering.com/

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 30, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Terrible Robot posted:

Buy it, so I will stop seriously considering selling all of my cars to get it myself.

NOT IF I BEAT YOU TO IT, BUSTER

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Just thought I'd update the thread and say that Plymouth Fury I was looking to buy got bought by someone else this morning. I'd been holding out for a safety test, but I guess someone came along willing to pay for it unfit. If I'd been anything other than a grad student with an unexpected windfall I'd have done the same, but still, it stings. It'll always be the one that got away.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Dolash posted:

Just thought I'd update the thread and say that Plymouth Fury I was looking to buy got bought by someone else this morning. I'd been holding out for a safety test, but I guess someone came along willing to pay for it unfit. If I'd been anything other than a grad student with an unexpected windfall I'd have done the same, but still, it stings. It'll always be the one that got away.

Just don't let that change your tactics. There will always be idiots out there that are willing to buy vehicles without a thorough inspection, but you don't want to be one of them. There are still many vehicles left out there for us to buy and there will always be a better deal.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

Just don't let that change your tactics. There will always be idiots out there that are willing to buy vehicles without a thorough inspection, but you don't want to be one of them. There are still many vehicles left out there for us to buy and there will always be a better deal.

/Tusen Takk falls through the ceiling.

I've noticed that if you drive out to the country/rural areas and look around, a lot of properties have barns with old cars in various conditions in or around them. It could be fun and worthwhile to go for a drive once you finish grad school and keep your eyes peeled!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tusen Takk posted:

/Tusen Takk falls through the ceiling.

I've noticed that if you drive out to the country/rural areas and look around, a lot of properties have barns with old cars in various conditions in or around them. It could be fun and worthwhile to go for a drive once you finish grad school and keep your eyes peeled!

That is a pretty awful strategy. Farmers/rednecks/hermits are a strange bunch, and most want a god drat fortune because "its old" and obviously, any thing old makes it worth a poo poo load of money. And some of the vehicles do hold a sentimental value, like Ol' blue truck and the possum indecent.

Unless your ready to deal with a person missing most of their teeth, its best just to stay the gently caress away. Trust me, after living in bum gently caress Iowa and Missouri, its just not worth your trouble.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

That is a pretty awful strategy. Farmers/rednecks/hermits are a strange bunch, and most want a god drat fortune because "its old" and obviously, any thing old makes it worth a poo poo load of money. And some of the vehicles do hold a sentimental value, like Ol' blue truck and the possum indecent.

Unless your ready to deal with a person missing most of their teeth, its best just to stay the gently caress away. Trust me, after living in bum gently caress Iowa and Missouri, its just not worth your trouble.

Sorry TT, but I agree with this. Sure my evidence is anecdotal but every time I've approached someone about something becoming one with the earth on their property they either aren't interested or want an utterly breathtaking amount of $.

These days I don't see anything around anyway. They have more or less been cleaned up. My guess is they got the high prices they were after from some clueless person with a wad of cash burning a hole in their pocket.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

BrokenKnucklez posted:

This, a thousand times this. There are dozens of great old project cars scattered around my county, but they are all universally owned by hicks with questionable dental hygiene who saw the same car (fully concourse restored) go for 200 billion dollars on Barrett-Jackson, so surely their pile of rust and missing parts is worth at least 180 billion.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

BrokenKnucklez posted:

It's different in the Nortwest (with some exceptions). Just make drat sure you can see the car from the road - or ask if you can go looking. You do NOT want to be snooping in someone's barn. A few decades ago, someone had an old wooden railcar-to-hovel conversion on their property. I asked if I could look in it (I collected old radios), and I found a rusted up but fixable Atwater Kent. They let me have it, provided I had my tetanus. :3:

Yes, the analogy doesn't quite work, but there are still barn finds to be had, and not every person really gives a poo poo about what's out there. That's all.

Oh god, wait, I'm defending TT? :suicide:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

General_Failure posted:

Sorry TT, but I agree with this. Sure my evidence is anecdotal but every time I've approached someone about something becoming one with the earth on their property they either aren't interested or want an utterly breathtaking amount of $.

These days I don't see anything around anyway. They have more or less been cleaned up. My guess is they got the high prices they were after from some clueless person with a wad of cash burning a hole in their pocket.

Yeah, I've had this experience too. Every summer, me and my friends go on a week long roadtrip across Michigan's rural communities, hitting up the garage sales, thrift stores, antique and flea markets, and farms with that look like they might have some good stuff. Last summer, I found the Nikon F3/35mm-105mm Micro-Nikkor lens that I posted about in the Misc. thread for $5; it's worth $600. We drove by a house that had a barn that had some vintage signs on it from car, petrol, and soda companies. Talked to the owners for a little bit about if they'd want to sell them to us and they were super nice. Ended up buying six or seven of em from them for $75 or $100 total and sold them on eBay for that much a piece. A bunch of the houses we stopped at for either the garage sale or to offer them money for something like antique farm equipment had beautiful (and rusted) 40's, 50's, and 60's pickup trucks in or around the barn, and a few of them had old Chevy Bel Air's and such. Sometimes they want outrageous amounts of money for the cars, sometimes they want very little to nothing (because it's rusted in place), but usually it's a 75 year old man's pet project that he'll "finish some day."

I never tried doing this in Australia, so I have no idea. I definitely would NOT try this south of Kentucky or Tennessee or in the plains of the US, but I'd definitely suggest trying it if you're in the Northeast/Northwest/Great Lakes states.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
In the southwest, they usually not only give you a good deal, but throw in some free pot.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I truly hate Barrett-Jackson. Its usually just one of kind of vehicles that are definitely collector items. But lately I have noticied it just seems to be Joe Somebody's project. And granted there is some good work, I have seen a few cars that should not have gone for even a 1/10 of what the value really is.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I find it funny that I have an insanely rare German microcar and even though it drives and is a few parts short of having brakes, its not worth as much as a multi-million production Chevrolet whitegood car that were beaters for 40 years.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Dolash posted:

I was wondering what happened with this car. Dont be sad at all. Unless you have mad cash ready to throw at a project car, buying a 70's mopar is probably not the best choice anyway.

I've spent more than a grand on my 70's mopar, the majority of it on suspension parts and tires. Like i said before, balljoints, pitman arms etc all add up pretty quick. A car is a rolling collection of parts, and if the parts are bad, the car itself is worth much less. That appeared to be totally the case from the random pictures we saw.

Keep shopping, look for a dodge or plymouth dart/duster, those are more fun anyway.

DJ Commie What is a "Chevrolet whitegood car "? Google returns nothing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Raw_Beef posted:

DJ Commie What is a "Chevrolet whitegood car "? Google returns nothing.

He just means some GM commuter car, like maybe a Monte Carlo or a Vega.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Raw_Beef posted:

Keep shopping, look for a dodge or plymouth dart/duster, those are more fun anyway.

For real, get one with a slant-six. That engine is awesome.