Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

GateheaD posted:

Sickbeard vs NZBDrone
Why does NZBDrone exist?

NZBDrone was born out of the frustrations with SB. Things that are different in NZBDrone, include, but are not limited to:

- Scanning library into the program is a lot faster then SB
- Use of TheXEM to do scene to TVDB Mapping
- Search for new episode is very quick also
- Snappier WebGui
- Clearer Log file (colored messages and human readable output)
- History section shows clear information into why files are not downloaded or not found during manual search (this is separate from actual log area)
- small box at bottom of window for notifications
- Ability to delete seasons or files from the GUI and remove them from disk
- custom start dates for backlog searches (IE, only want to get episodes newer than X)
- Very responsive and productive devs. Issues are fixed within hours.
- Anime support
- Ability to see search history and manually add nzb that wasn't grabbed (IE, Only 1080 is available, but you have your cutoff at 720. Single click to add 1080 to queue)
- Ability to have multiple root folders for TV Shows without the kludgy remapping SB requires.
There are lots more, but that's what I can come up with off the top of my head.

That said, there are some drawbacks too, but the benefits well outweigh them.

monkeybounce fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

monkeybounce posted:

That said, there are some drawbacks too, but the benefits well outweigh them.

Could you elaborate on some of them?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

NZBDrone lets you delete a series along with the folder/files from the gui. A godsend if you like genre shows that rarely make it to a season 2. It also works with shows like American Dad that Sickbeard choked on due to scene naming conventions. Basically, it fixed all the little annoying things that I found with Sickbeard. The gui is faster/better by a pretty wide margin, too.:colbert:

Sickbeard has also stopped moving poo poo into folders for me. It renames the episodes properly, and the string includes a path (e.g. Season/Show Name - SXXEXX - Title.ext), but only puts the shows in the root show directory anymore.

I wonder if they'll also add stuff to replace couchpotato.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

unpurposed posted:

For me, I would like to see file names in the series page. Markus (Dev) is usually on their irc channel and has answered my questions within a half an hour and is super nice about suggestions and bugs.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 29, 2013

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
What's the install process like on a WHS2011 box? Sickbeard was stupid easy to setup.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

EC posted:

What's the install process like on a WHS2011 box? Sickbeard was stupid easy to setup.

On my win8 box, drag and drop to program files. Then add startup process. Then configure paths/API keys/etc. Can't imagine it being too much different.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

unpurposed posted:

I have in previous posts, but basically.

- Windows Only. Requires .net 4.0 (but is an awesome example of a well-done MVC app) Mono is on the to-do list
- Coupled with IIS Express. No ability to use IIS, Apache, etc. (Coming soon, but not yet)
- Automatically upgrades all old episodes if new quality is set (unless manually specified)
- XBMC metadata can be iffy, but I don't know for sure. I use XBMC scrapers.
- Small learning curve over SB

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

kri kri posted:

For me, I would like to see file names in the series page. Markus (Dev) is usually on their irc channel and has answered my questions within a half an hour and is super nice about suggestions and bugs.

What do you mean? If you look at the specific episode and click on it, the synopsis and path\filename show up in there. Or do you want the nzb name?

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

EC posted:

Make sure you have .net4 (Win 8 this isn't a problem. Win 7 you'll have to add it.)

Unzip files to desired location. (I would NOT recommend %Program Files% as there are permissions issues to contend with)
Run installservice.bat to autostart with Windows.
Configure settings.

Before you add shows, make sure to configure all of the paths and whatnot in your settings. You'll also want to pay special attention to make sure you have NZBDrone naming your shows the same way SB did for consistency sake.

If you're adding existing shows, it's pretty simple. The only thing you'll have to keep an eye on is whether or not the series is a remake so you make sure you get the right one.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Where the hell do I find the connection details for usenetserver...their "controlpanel" is so basic.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Thanks for the answer, y'all, I might check it out this weekend if I'm in a mood to tinker. SB works well enough that I don't really wanna gently caress with it, but it'd be nice to have an option just in case.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I didn't realize you could click on the synopsis and see the filename, thanks. #nzbdrone on freenet, dev is usually on there.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

MarshallX posted:

Where the hell do I find the connection details for usenetserver...their "controlpanel" is so basic.

Remarkably, I never found it in there. Instead, it's in their FAQ...kinda...

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

EC posted:

Thanks for the answer, y'all, I might check it out this weekend if I'm in a mood to tinker. SB works well enough that I don't really wanna gently caress with it, but it'd be nice to have an option just in case.

Yeah SB is running fine for me and when it comes to my HTPC stuff, I tend to prefer a stable setup to lots of tinkering since it pisses off others in the household. I'll check out NZBDrone if SB gives me issues though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EC posted:

This is kinda how I'd feel if I wasn't on a Mac. I like to tinker even though I usually dig myself into holes. :p

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.
I just switched to NZBDrone it was so easy to setup I was just poking around and realized bam it's setup! It'll be nice for Pawn Stars to actually download for once.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Feenix posted:

This is kinda how I'd feel if I wasn't on a Mac. I like to tinker even though I usually dig myself into holes. :p

Everything I've ever needed to know has been the direct result of "oh poo poo, what did I do? How do I fix this now?"

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

NZBDrone lets you delete a series along with the folder/files from the gui. A godsend if you like genre shows that rarely make it to a season 2. It also works with shows like American Dad that Sickbeard choked on due to scene naming conventions. Basically, it fixed all the little annoying things that I found with Sickbeard. The gui is faster/better by a pretty wide margin, too.:colbert:

Sickbeard has a huge problem if the Scene numbering and the TVDB numbering differ. And since both are full of people with egos and issues, they differ a lot. Sickbeard, because of its dev cycle, doesn't have a way to fix this, NZBdrone does. OTOH Sickbeard has been better for me at backfilling old shows than NZBdrone has.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007
Out of curiosity, what issues have you had with NZBDrone backfilling? I've never had an issue other than retention or DMCA.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

monkeybounce posted:

Everything I've ever needed to know has been the direct result of "oh poo poo, what did I do? How do I fix this now?"

Likewise. That's why despite a 30 minute project often taking me a day, I'll never stop tinkering. :)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The cool thing is that you can use nzbdrone and xem mapping and still use the default tvdb scraper with xbmc.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

monkeybounce posted:

Out of curiosity, what issues have you had with NZBDrone backfilling? I've never had an issue other than retention or DMCA.

It didn't find some things that Sickbeard did. Not entirely sure why.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

monkeybounce posted:

I remember breaking my brand new IBM PS2 computer by trying to install something crazy on it, and thinking, "My parents will never forgive me if I break my Christmas present." That basically started me down my entire career path (although I'm in sales now because gently caress drinking to relieve stress, taking clients out to drink and party is way more fun).

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Red_Mage posted:

Sickbeard has a huge problem if the Scene numbering and the TVDB numbering differ. And since both are full of people with egos and issues, they differ a lot. Sickbeard, because of its dev cycle, doesn't have a way to fix this, NZBdrone does. OTOH Sickbeard has been better for me at backfilling old shows than NZBdrone has.

What's the memory footprint like for NZBdrone? I'd like to run it in parallel with Sickbeard, but my media server has limited ram.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

UndyingShadow posted:

What's the memory footprint like for NZBdrone? I'd like to run it in parallel with Sickbeard, but my media server has limited ram.

Don't see much reason to run both at once, but mine is using 11mb with about 150 shows.

daishan14
Mar 6, 2004
Does anyone have some tips for setting up nzbs.org with sabnzbd? Ever since they switched to the new format a while ago the sab button doesn't work and I have to manually download the nzb. I tried setting it up but I am missing something.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
This morning my SAB reported "invalid par2 files cannot verify or repair" for a particular file. Checking with QuickPar shows every par2 file as "damaged (0 blocks available)". Extracting the .rars manually using 7zip doesn't work and reports "data error in <file name>".

I currently use Astraweb with the free xusenet as a backup server. Would I be able to complete this file by purchasing a block plan from Supernews, deleting all the par2 files, and re-queuing the file in SAB? Or am I on the wrong track here?

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

kri kri posted:

Don't see much reason to run both at once, but mine is using 11mb with about 150 shows.

Only that I already have SB doing MOSTLY everything correctly, but there's a few shows I'd like NZBdrone to take over for. And maybe if it works better, I'll slowly switch it over to full time use.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

daishan14 posted:

Does anyone have some tips for setting up nzbs.org with sabnzbd? Ever since they switched to the new format a while ago the sab button doesn't work and I have to manually download the nzb. I tried setting it up but I am missing something.

Do you use sabconnect or any other browser extensions? If not make sure everything is entered in the site correctly and that your SAB is able to be accessed from outside your network.

UndyingShadow posted:

Only that I already have SB doing MOSTLY everything correctly, but there's a few shows I'd like NZBdrone to take over for. And maybe if it works better, I'll slowly switch it over to full time use.

I thought I would try running both but I just decided to run nzbdrone by itself and it seems to do ok. You can always just run it again if you are low on resources.

Also I just found this out (thanks wikipedia) that Multipar is the replacement for quickpar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parchive#Software

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

UndyingShadow posted:

The memory footprint is tiny. I'm at less than 10MB.

If you do run them side by side, you shouldn't have any issues. Just make sure to only add the shows you want it to manage or you'll end up with duplicates.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

monkeybounce posted:

NZBDrone was born out of the frustrations with SB. Things that are different in NZBDrone, include, but are not limited to:

- Anime support

It took me from release up until a fairly recently to convince markus to work on this.

Why? Screw you, I like the new Hunter x Hunter show and Sword Art Online. Don't judge me.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
How does NZBDrone run under Wine for us that run Linux for our HTPC/NAS?

daishan14
Mar 6, 2004

kri kri posted:

Do you use sabconnect or any other browser extensions? If not make sure everything is entered in the site correctly and that your SAB is able to be accessed from outside your network.

I use nzbdstatus with firefox. I guess the part I was having an issue with was making sabnzbd accessible from outside my network.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

daishan14 posted:

Is this worth doing (serious question)? I'm super lazy/anal and just download with the nzbStatus FF plugin. I don't even bother with SickBeard/Drone, but the My Shows feature on nzbs.org I couldn't live without. I haven't found all releases to be in HD/SD evenly, so I wouldn't want to automate on only one choice.

daishan14
Mar 6, 2004

B-Nasty posted:

Is this worth doing (serious question)? I'm super lazy/anal and just download with the nzbStatus FF plugin. I don't even bother with SickBeard/Drone, but the My Shows feature on nzbs.org I couldn't live without. I haven't found all releases to be in HD/SD evenly, so I wouldn't want to automate on only one choice.

I download the nzb and then have to click "ok" after it is downloaded. I guess I just want to eliminate the second click...

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Does NZBDrone not work with Mono?
I'd be shocked if it doesn't... which if it does there is no reason to run it under wine

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Another nzbdrone question. Does it offer an indexer like sickbeard does? Almost everything I get through sickbeard I get through the build in indexer.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

elwood posted:

Another nzbdrone question. Does it offer an indexer like sickbeard does? Almost everything I get through sickbeard I get through the build in indexer.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that it doesn't.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

xgalaxy posted:

Does NZBDrone not work with Mono?
I'd be shocked if it doesn't... which if it does there is no reason to run it under wine

well everyone keeps saying it is windows only at the moment so no it wasn't made with mono which is very weird honestly when a large portion of the person that might use such a program are running linux...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

elwood posted:

It doesn't offer a built in indexer like Sickbeard (which is just a NewzNab that the sickbeard dev is running). However, it does automatically support Wombles, NZBIndex, NZBClub, and nzbx. There was some talk about setting up an indexer after the NZBMatrix drama, but I don't think it's happening.

YouTuber posted:

How does NZBDrone run under Wine for us that run Linux for our HTPC/NAS?

It doesn't.

Le0 posted:

well everyone keeps saying it is windows only at the moment so no it wasn't made with mono which is very weird honestly when a large portion of the person that might use such a program are running linux...

Yeah, the lack of Mono support is weird. It's promised on the roadmap and the dev does realize it would be a major jump in userbase. http://track.nzbdrone.com/youtrack/issue/ND-60. Add your two cents or even just a +1 to the youtrack. He's really good about prioritizing based on feedback.

I think this started as a project among a couple of friends all running WHS boxes which they then turned public. So it kind of makes sense that there's no mono support if they didn't intend to make it public.