Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Sign out of iTunes, switch to the US store (at the bottom), go to a free app and buy it, register, take the free option (this will only appear if you register by way of buying a free app).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Awesome little puzzle game called Turnacle is free today (down from $1.99). You spin discs with quadrants of colors on them and match them. Really pretty UI.

radge
Jan 21, 2005

Could be a rare treat from NimbleBit making a game that involves some actual gameplay but I won't hold my breath.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Letterpress chat:

I was playing against a random opponent and I managed to spell the word triclosans. The player resigned the game and I got a thing in my notification bar from him calling me a cheater. Does anyone know how to send texts or messages like this? Because yeah, you're so smart if someone spelled a word you didn't know it automatically means they're a cheat :rolleyes:

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

radge posted:

Could be a rare treat from NimbleBit making a game that involves some actual gameplay but I won't hold my breath.

Good, I wouldn't want to be responsible for depriving your tiny brain of oxygen.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

marshmonkey posted:

Good, I wouldn't want to be responsible for depriving your tiny brain of oxygen.
... unless he was one of the ones emailing you about trains.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
How are Final Fantasy I and II? I feel like a grindy JRPG is a good fit for the mobile format if the controls are done right. Are they decent ports? Do you get the whole game for the purchase price? Any damning flaws, like problems with multitasking that would cause you to lose progress? Do the fonts and UI have retina graphics?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Shalinor posted:

... unless he was one of the ones emailing you about trains.
I'm calling it now, there's gonna be an easter egg in one of the Pocket Planes updates featuring Astrotrain or something.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Letterpress chat:

I was playing against a random opponent and I managed to spell the word triclosans. The player resigned the game and I got a thing in my notification bar from him calling me a cheater. Does anyone know how to send texts or messages like this? Because yeah, you're so smart if someone spelled a word you didn't know it automatically means they're a cheat :rolleyes:
The only thing I can think of is when you send a game invite it lets you change the default message text "Do you want to play a game?" Otherwise GameCentre doesn't support messaging that I'm aware of.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

New NimbleBit already looks like my favorite because yay, actiony stuff!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Awesome little puzzle game called Turnacle is free today (down from $1.99). You spin discs with quadrants of colors on them and match them. Really pretty UI.
It is indeed very fun, check it out.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Oh my god I just got addicted to Game Dev Story, and I'm stuck :( how do you get more points towards innovation and realism etc, and I seem to hit a ceiling with my staff 50-55 on graphics and sound unless I hire some outside guy for bajillions.

:(

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

radge posted:

*posts about nimblebit games being bad* *has a tiny tower avatar*

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

robodex posted:

Haha, he didn't have that when he posted.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

robodex posted:

A literal Tiny Tower avatar, you click on it and you can buy the game! :haw:

Seriously did that guy just complain about Nimblebit for long enough that they turned him into a walking ad?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

robodex posted:

If I remember correctly, that's precisely why he has a tiny tower avatar.

edit - guess it wasn't him. But I know he's not the first guy to get himself a new avatar for badmouthing nimblebit.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh good, that made it into the title.

And new Nimblebit game soon, hooray.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Knowing absolutely nothing except those screenshots, it looks like a medieval Call of Snakes. I remember grabbing it when it went free and it was certainly fun for the hour or so I played it.

I was about to say that, too. Call of Snakes is dumb and entertaining for off and on, once a week play. But Call of Snakes with a wizard? Count me in.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

marshmonkey posted:

Haha, he didn't have that when he posted.

Oops. I should have guessed!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Bocce Friends, formerly Bocce-Ball, is now multiplayer

Game Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxApR9hyR7A

Still Free.

App Store Link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bocce-friends/id414782227?mt=8

Chief Queef
Jul 18, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

Bocce Friends, formerly Bocce-Ball, is now multiplayer

Game Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxApR9hyR7A

Still Free.

App Store Link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bocce-friends/id414782227?mt=8

You know, I actually downloaded this being a fan of the sport. A suggestion: how about implementing some physics into the game?

Re: Nimblebit's new game: It seems to be a rehash of the Nokia snake game which is clever because when have you seen a worm game with RPG elements? :hfive:

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

marshmonkey posted:

It is inspired by call of snakes, but with a lot of additions and things we did differently that turn it into its own beast.

Never saw that game from them. I thought about redoing one of their other games before, Finger Shot RPG. They're great at coming up with games that are really interesting, but screw up in some way or another. Almost good games that take a sharp turn.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
A well done finger shot rpg would be pretty cool. Something with more strategy options.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Seems like finger shot RPG is kinda like that Squids game.

http://appshopper.com/games/squids

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
Ahhha oh yeah, theres that. Make an Olo style rpg instead then.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dvlos posted:

Oh my god I just got addicted to Game Dev Story, and I'm stuck :( how do you get more points towards innovation and realism etc, and I seem to hit a ceiling with my staff 50-55 on graphics and sound unless I hire some outside guy for bajillions.

:(

Making things that match well ups the level as you do it more and more.

Also there's a bug where if you do the most expensive talent hunting it will sometimes not charge you the contract fee for the hires, meaning you can get top-quality people without paying anything else but their salary when that rolls around.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

xzzy posted:

If I remember correctly, that's precisely why he has a tiny tower avatar.

edit - guess it wasn't him. But I know he's not the first guy to get himself a new avatar for badmouthing nimblebit.

It's really rather odd the custom avatars people will buy for you when you badmouth a random game.

... yeah.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

radge posted:

I liked SkyBurger, Textropolis and Dizzypad, but Frog Fuckers, Tiny Tower and Pocket Planes weren't my thing but I wasn't personally offended by them.

psylent fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 29, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

OK Octopus posted:

It's really rather odd the custom avatars people will buy for you when you badmouth a random game.

... yeah.

$10 in snarky advertising is $10 well spent, assuming it's Nimblebit buying them.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite custom title of all time is still "ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT."

At one point I knew the story behind it but it's funnier without context.

e: Also I can neither confirm nor deny that custom titles were readily given for posting in the early days of the Diablo 3 auction house trading threads.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 29, 2013

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Haha that is hilarious. Enjoy your £5 IAP to get it removed.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

marshmonkey posted:

Seems like finger shot RPG is kinda like that Squids game.

http://appshopper.com/games/squids

Yeah, it is. That's probably what made me stop thinking about it. I still haven't beaten Squids or even started Squids WW, for some reason I just keep forgetting about it.

Oh, Corrypt rulez. Short experience but really cool, and I normally dislike puzzle games. http://www.appshopper.com/games/corrypt

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

The Rokstar posted:

My favorite custom title of all time is still "ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT."

At one point I knew the story behind it but it's funnier without context.

e: Also I can neither confirm nor deny that custom titles were readily given for posting in the early days of the Diablo 3 auction house trading threads.

I'm still laughing at Three Phase's current one. I really wish I knew who bought him it, though.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

If we speak the Name That Shall Not Be Spoken - He Who Developed 100 Rogues, Lord Of Dinofarm - maybe we could get a few 100 Rogues avatars in here.

... though I still sometimes play 100 Rogues. I mostly don't get the hate. By no means my favorite roguelike, but the options for roguelikes on iOS are still pretty poo poo.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 30, 2013

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Shalinor posted:

If we speak the Name That Shall Not Be Spoken - He Who Developed 100 Rogues, Lord Of Dinofarm - maybe we could get a few 100 Rogues avatars in here.

... though I still sometimes play 100 Rogues. I mostly don't get the hate. By no means my favorite roguelike, but the options for roguelikes on iOS are still pretty poo poo.

Which is somewhat baffling to me, really. Roguelikes seem like one genre that would be great on a mobile device.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

psylent posted:

I liked SkyBurger, Textropolis and Dizzypad, but Frog Fuckers, Tiny Tower and Pocket Planes weren't my thing but I wasn't personally offended by them.
Didn't they make some Textropolis sequel about fish? Dark loving times man...

Also I literally paid a dollar for KRYZER. NimbleBit can never redeem themselves in my eyes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sounds good in theory, but fitting it into mobile play patterns is another thing altogether. Zaga33 and Dungelot seem to do them very well.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Spincut posted:

Which is somewhat baffling to me, really. Roguelikes seem like one genre that would be great on a mobile device.
I think it's because they're technical, and don't really appeal to the casual demographic.

I quite liked Sword of Fargoal, but the lack of depth eventually turned me off... and it was still a bit too in-depth to really capture casual audiences, most likely. I'm hoping we eventually get Desktop Dungeons or Dungeons of Dredmor.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Shalinor posted:

It probably has a lot to do with how gently caress up it was at launch (at $5.99 if I remember right), which was a shame beacuse a bunch of people were so hype for it thinking the ios was finally going to get a great roguelike.

[e] I remember downloading it again a few months back and getting annoyed that the 2 other classes(out of 4) they said they cut due to time constraints were only available if you gave them an additional $2 apiece on top of the $6.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Well we are getting Desktop Dungeons (eventually!) which is a lovely mix of roguelike + puzzler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwilnik
Aug 1, 2007

If this game does well I'm writing Airburst next.

Spincut posted:

Rogue Touch is still one of the better ones. https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/rogue-touch/id303471870?mt=8

• Locked thread