Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Guy who runs the bike shop next to my office put one in his CRF450 and says it works so well he's selling his 200EXC. So there's at least one believer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Stalling the R on steep downhills and technical portions is my biggest issue so I'm saving my pennies for one.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

n8r posted:

Silver has one - pretty sure he still has lots of problems...

Rider issues, not rekluse issues. I haven't really ridden without one in the dirt so don't have an opinion, I know one bro who rode my bike and bought a rekluse the next week. Loves it for woods, hates it for MX though.

I think I could have gotten another 5+ rides out of the old one ya?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ramsus posted:

Stalling the R on steep downhills and technical portions is my biggest issue so I'm saving my pennies for one.

Yeah, in case it wasn't clear, he was saying that it specifically made woods and technical riding much, much easier on the CRF. Hence not needing to keep the 200 any more.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Failing and flailing from yesterday. First lap through was clean no falls for me. Second lap, put on the go pro and wtf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vGX5rXUE-8

Actually have some decent riding vid I'll prob edit down too, this is just the crash vid.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Had another wonderful day snowbiking today. I brought the go-pro but left it in the truck :v:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I tried really hard to get Spiffness back for all those times he splashed into a puddle next to me by jumping into a giant puddle right next to him at high speed. It ended with me and my bike very soggy, and Spiffness dry and laughing. In retrospect, choosing a 20x60ft 'puddle' in the 4x4 area for this prank was probably not a good idea. It stalled before it went under, but it hydrolocked as I tried to kick it back to life. I wasn't able to get the spark plug out and clear the cylinder until the next night because, in their wisdom, KTM decided not to make enough room for a standard spark plug socket, so I had to grind one down.

It's much easier to start now without a combustion chamber full of muddy water.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPVMi5aU02A

This video from New Zealand looks like a lot of fun.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ramsus posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPVMi5aU02A

This video from New Zealand looks like a lot of fun.

Looks like a fun group to ride with.

I need to stick a gopro on my helmet next time I'm practicing wheelies or anything else.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

First race of the season is on Sunday!

I'm pretty pumped too, I've been riding a lot on this snow.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

:siren: RACE REPORT :siren:

It was a winter race for approximately 1 lap, then it was a mud race. Footpeg deep ruts everywhere. Everyone was struggling.

I had two races. The first two laps I was 3rd in my class, and top 10 overall. In the third lap I railed a VERY deep newly created rut (wasn't there previous lap) around a blind corner and smashed into some poor soul who was stuck in the rut with a dead bike. 10 minutes later I was still there, no where to go helping the guy get his bike out. I was boxed in from behind, and someone made a new path through the woods. When I went around again I was 11th in my class and like 40th overall.

I was exhausted so I just finished out about 4 more laps and called it done.

So, the good side, is I have the speed to win these things (which is new!), but I need to ride a bit smarter, hah.

Here's a good video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml8xdDzCjoA

You can see many pictures in this ADVrider thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20551233&postcount=14

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That looks like a muddy poo poo-show race I ran last year, only worse.

I learned the lesson of why 'mud' style tread exists, while I flailed desperately in no particular direction with wheels of solid mud.

Can't wait for this weekend, last weekend in a while I'll be able to ride. Loving the 450 XCF-W so far. It's just a dream.

aaaannnndddd my SM setup arrives tomorrow.

Edit: At work so no sound on video, but looking at the pictures, is that a 2 stroke only event? Don't think I spotted a single thumper.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Edit: At work so no sound on video, but looking at the pictures, is that a 2 stroke only event? Don't think I spotted a single thumper.

The winter race is an exception as the trails are wide and the track is short. Our championship series has very long tracks with mostly rooty and rocky singletrack. Not many four strokes because the extra top heaviness wears people out very quickly.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Nothing like the taste of mud. Have you considered running a paddle tire?

Zool fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 24, 2013

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I'm looking at a 2000 KTM 300 EXC this week.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/3569972742.html

$1750, oil changed every ride. Thoughts? It's a little old, but research shows it's a solid bike and not totally outdated.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

$1750, oil changed every ride. Thoughts? It's a little old, but research shows it's a solid bike and not totally outdated.

I wouldn't bother continuing to change the oil every ride. KTM recommends changing it yearly after all. That's a pretty small engine though, have you considered a 690?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous posted:

This was prior to the switchable ignition and really heavy flywheel weight. This bike rips, and will be hard to ride compared to the 06+ equiv.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zool posted:

I wouldn't bother continuing to change the oil every ride. KTM recommends changing it yearly after all. That's a pretty small engine though, have you considered a 690?

Same, its a two stroke, so any changeable oil isnt being exposed to runoff from combustion events unless something is very wrong with the motor.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Same, its a two stroke, so any changeable oil isnt being exposed to runoff from combustion events unless something is very wrong with the motor.

I use to run ATF Type F in my KX250. It worked incredibly well and was legitimately about 2 bucks a bottle or less. It was so cheap that even changing it every couple rides didn't bother me in the slightest.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:siren: I bet your clutch side crank seal leaks more than you expect :siren:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A dude at the ORV park last time I went was telling me about his old DT1 (the DT175 makes me everybody's new best friend) and how it would run until he unscrewed the gearbox fill cap. Mine must not leak so bad; it kept running :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VTNewb posted:

:siren: I bet your clutch side crank seal leaks more than you expect :siren:

Maybe on a KTM :fella:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Maybe on a KTM :fella:

Can internal seals vibrate off?

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Zool posted:

That's a pretty small engine though, have you considered a 690?

:what: You do know that it's a 2 stroke yes? Also a 690 would be a pig in tight trails/woods riding.

I use rotella and change about every 3 rides or so. It doesn't take a lot and it's cheap so no big deal.

Will this be your first dirt bike? 300 is going to be a bit much, kinda like getting a 450 4 stroke to start out on. Fun though for sure. I started on a 200.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You could probably add a Steahly flywheel and have a pretty sweet woods bike. Was that the generation before the 300 got classed as a super good woods bike?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Silver posted:

:what: You do know that it's a 2 stroke yes? Also a 690 would be a pig in tight trails/woods riding.

I use rotella and change about every 3 rides or so. It doesn't take a lot and it's cheap so no big deal.

Will this be your first dirt bike? 300 is going to be a bit much, kinda like getting a 450 4 stroke to start out on. Fun though for sure. I started on a 200.

Love this post. So much.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Spiffness posted:

Love this post. So much.

:cheers:

EXC = Enduro
MXC = Motorcross as far as I know.

Here's a good thread on thumpertalk about the 2000 300EXC's. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/765616-2000-ktm-300-exc/

I'm thinking that 1750 is a bit stout for that old of a bike though. Definitely talk him down some.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Silver posted:

I think the joke is that Gullous started out on the 690 and back when he came onto IRC I told him he was starting out on the dirt equivalent of a 'busa. He promptly flicked himself and busted his wrists within the first few rides.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
ohhh yeah. Forgot about that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Silver posted:

:cheers:

EXC = Enduro
MXC = Motorcross as far as I know.

The analogy isn't perfect but, EXC = XC-W MXC = XC and SX = SX

MXC is still a woods bike, but as I said above, they're a lot meaner back then than they are now.

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 30, 2013

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

VTNewb posted:

This was prior to the switchable ignition and really heavy flywheel weight. This bike rips, and will be hard to ride compared to the 06+ equiv.

Thanks for the info, those changes were unknown to me. I can always change out the flywheel if I really need it. I have no illusions about a 13 year old bike being on par with anything contemporary, but I understand that era of 300 EXC is still decently competitive for Open C/trail riding.

Silver posted:

690 is the best motorcycle (in every category) but is banned from racing so i need something legal.

edit: proof

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 30, 2013

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

My semi-retired parents are going down to Florida for a month (OH GOD), and invited me down for bike week. Supercross and GNCC racing is a tough one to ignore. I really want to ride a GNCC this year, but I can't think of a way to get my biek to Florida.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I didn't buy the 300 EXC; it was quite the claptrap. Briefly looking it over I noticed the frame was rusty, rear shock was toast, shot rear wheel bearings, sprocket, & chain, play in the kick starter, missing kickstand. The engine was strong, but overall it felt worth $800 and 40 hours of labor.

I love that engine though, I'm sold on that model.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I have found the used dirtbike market in WA to have gotten really bad. I think the poor economy has really reduced the amount of used bikes. It seems like nothing newer than 2007 is out there and very little is for sale below $2k. I kinda wish I had just held onto my '03 YZ250 considering how little I got for it considering the prices for bikes now.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Maybe it is in part due to the legislation that went into effect last year about street registering dirt bikes, bumping up the value of them to people.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

n8r posted:

I have found the used dirtbike market in WA to have gotten really bad. I think the poor economy has really reduced the amount of used bikes. It seems like nothing newer than 2007 is out there and very little is for sale below $2k. I kinda wish I had just held onto my '03 YZ250 considering how little I got for it considering the prices for bikes now.

Heh, it's a lot like that in Australia. For $2k you'd find a '99 yz250 that's almost due a rebuild. Bikes over here are hella expensive compared to the US (from what I gather). For example, about three years ago my dad sold a '99 KTM 300EXC for $2500 and honestly that was pretty cheap at the time.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Spent a good part of the day in the gravel pit at walker, figuring out how to wheelie the DT and XL beasts. They take a bit of convincing to get the heavy front ends up with like 15 horsepower on order.

We met a friend up there too. I feel kind of bad for him... Never rode a bike and wanted to start on dirt. No big deal but his friend convinced him to get a brand new YZ450F; no fan, no estart. And he's out of shape. Every time he stalls it, which is a lot, he spends 15 minutes wearing himself out starting it.

I started it once, which was a bit of a task for me, and rode it around the pit - scares the crap out of me. I'll stick with my dumpy 175 until I suck a lot less.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Why is it taking that long to restart it?

EDIT - It's a FI model right?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

His kick technique probably just sucks. Or some terrible newbie mistake.

450's take some convincing to kick over and dirt bikes, however new, sometimes just don't want to start until about maaaayyyybee 5 more kicks, maybe 10. Maybe 30 if its hot and you just dunked it in a puddle and splashed ice water all over your engine. With FI it shouldn't be a big deal to get it actually started. If he's a short bastard then that'll be a problem.

My 450 XC-W has an E-start and a kick starter, sometimes kicking it is nearly impossible the action is so stiff. Magic button, ahoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It usually took me 2-4 kicks to start it, which wore me out climbing up to get leverage on it. He is way out of shape to the point of difficulty getting his foot on the starter. That 450 is super huge and this is from a guy who is comfortable on a Ulysses.

I don't know why it takes a few kicks... It has 2 hours on it so maybe its not broken in?

I suggested that a mellow 250 might suit him better. Apparently his friend has him convinced that a 250's springs will be too soft and installing a Recluse clutch or whatever will solve his problems.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 4, 2013