Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Mirrored stance fighting is almost like a whole other ruleset, for instance you can get away a wider stance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

we were debating in the office if you'd take a shot from Tyson in his prime for X amount of money. I said for a jab that I saw coming I'd go as low as 500$ and everyone agreed on something in the thousands at most but then someone pulled up that .gif or something similar and I don't think anyone said they'd do it for under like 5 million and that so their kids would be okay when they died.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Strikechat!

Ask: I'm going to (amateur/club) fight a slightly shorther boxer with a similar reach and technically better and more powerful straight punches, and a right hook to the body and the head? My pal is fit but lacks mobility because of old injuries to the hips and legs. He won't be afraid of my pillow punches so he'll basically stalk forward with a low and compact stance, hands up and elbows glued to his ribs and throw jab+jab+cross until I'm within the range of his hooks then unleash hell.

Tell: I can move faster on my feet for a while if I don't eat hard body shots and have better sidestep + uppercuts, in addition to a heavy right hook or overhand but I need to cover/time them up with a lot of stuff to land either. A/T MA nerds, good ideas?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Novum posted:

This was pretty much my thought process on it. I'm naturally a pretty aggressive striker and tend to throw in 3 to 5 hit bursts. Usually it's just lateral movement or he circles to my left (his right, sorry for the confusion) but that leaves him even more open for the inside leg kick.

A few more rounds and I feel like I should have this puzzle solved. Gotta keep shaking off that rust and get back into shape now and remember: it's all in the hips.

I train with a dude who's a southpaw with a good 6 inches in height on me and my plan is usually to use my lead leg kick and attack his body with left hooks as he circles with his jab.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ligur posted:

Strikechat!

Ask: I'm going to (amateur/club) fight a slightly shorther boxer with a similar reach and technically better and more powerful straight punches, and a right hook to the body and the head? My pal is fit but lacks mobility because of old injuries to the hips and legs. He won't be afraid of my pillow punches so he'll basically stalk forward with a low and compact stance, hands up and elbows glued to his ribs and throw jab+jab+cross until I'm within the range of his hooks then unleash hell.

Tell: I can move faster on my feet for a while if I don't eat hard body shots and have better sidestep + uppercuts, in addition to a heavy right hook or overhand but I need to cover/time them up with a lot of stuff to land either. A/T MA nerds, good ideas?

What ruleset, boxing? I would focus on tying him up if he gets in, pivoting and unclinching, then hitting on the break. Tie up is to frustrate him and reduce his output. Make sure you are flying around him when exiting from the break and maximally emphasizing your mobility difference. Don't try to box at range if he equals your reach and has better straight punches.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
A colleague and I are thinking about putting together a youtube series on strength and conditioning for combat sports. What are some topics you guys would like to see addressed?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

A colleague and I are thinking about putting together a youtube series on strength and conditioning for combat sports. What are some topics you guys would like to see addressed?

Definitely all of your stances on training for peak speed.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Building work capacity.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Stuff like how to properly deal with joint and muscle pain.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Flexibility stuff

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Recovery between training sessions and treatment of common minor injuries.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Stuff like how to properly deal with joint and muscle pain.

Basically this.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
From now on, whenever the self-defense debate pops up in this thread again, we should just post this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jeu6bXxTwfk

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

kimbo305 posted:

What ruleset, boxing? I would focus on tying him up if he gets in, pivoting and unclinching, then hitting on the break. Tie up is to frustrate him and reduce his output. Make sure you are flying around him when exiting from the break and maximally emphasizing your mobility difference. Don't try to box at range if he equals your reach and has better straight punches.

Yeah boxing. I have a slight reach advantage since I'm slightly taller but our arms are about the same length and he can really punch a heavy straight all the way "straight". Spot on with the clinch + pivot as it happens, has worked really well in the past. My opponent loves standing and trading mid-range where you can use full range of punches and using his head movement. I'll have to avoid going there that's for sure.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
just found out from some guys at Bjj that there's a judo club 10 minutes from where I work. Sweet!

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
More awesome fight videos!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoMxvcDdnDU

A serious Silat vs. Wing Chun video. We need to save this one in case someone brings up the TMA and Sport are totally viable in a real fight situation argument again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShoJVkFvVbM

Guilty fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 29, 2013

Metal Gear
Dec 10, 2006

This is SomethingAwful.com

Guilty posted:

A serious Silat vs. Wing Chun video. We need to save this one in case someone brings up the TMA and Sport are totally viable in a real fight situation argument again

For some reason, my brain read silat as savate and I spent a few minutes wondering why the hell a savateur was doing some kind of panther crawl on the ring floor.

Sexy Flanders
Jun 21, 2012

by T. Finninho
I'm starting a beginners kendo class tonight and would love any advice or pointers people might have.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Sexy Flanders posted:

I'm starting a beginners kendo class tonight and would love any advice or pointers people might have.

Have fun, ask questions, don't be afraid to ask your instructor to demonstrate something again if you don't understand it.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
Thanks for all the ideas guys. This is still very much in the planning stages but I'll share more as things get closer to actually happening.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sexy Flanders posted:

Tape up your left foot tomorrow morning.

Also, I have the same question, except for judo. What should I expect? How much should my joints hurt the next day?

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 30, 2013

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Smoking Crow posted:

Also, I have the same question, except for judo. What should I expect? How much should my joints hurt the next day?

Depending on how much gusto you go for you may have aches in parts of your shoulders that you didn't know existed. This is normal.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Smoking Crow posted:

I started BJJ last year. I was 32, fat, and completely unfit.

I hurt in places I didn't know I had, for about three months, until I got used to it.

Ice anything that's hurting after class, if you can. Elevate it if you can. Take ibuprofen if you need to. It does get better.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Guilty posted:

What the

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Guilty posted:

I like the Silat guy's complicated stance shifts for no reason. Dude looks like he's casting a magic spell.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ashenai posted:

Dude looks like he's casting a magic spell.

He cast a magic spell on my heart

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

This.

Also, don't be afraid to scream your lungs out. Once you get over how silly it is, it actually makes breathing properly so much easier and is really fun as well.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Thailand update: Cardio coming back. Heat fucks you up though. Can do like 50% less in the late afternoon training compared to morning. Technique improving. Young Thai boys loving terrifying. I want to knee as hard as a 15 year old. Pissed down tonight, tropical lightning storm, all the power went out everywhere and I walked 5km back to my guesthouse in the rain.. I found an actual hard bag at the gym to kick. Most of them are real soft, full of rags or something. I like a hard bag. My defence sucks, triply so when I'm gassed as gently caress. Lanna is a pretty cool place to train if you're self motivated.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Woo, my new gym just got a wrestling coach who wrestled on John Smith's college team. Pummeling with him is like trying to push down a brick wall.

We asked him if he could teach us John's single leg and he said in 21 years of coaching he had met two people who could do that shot.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Woo, my new gym just got a wrestling coach who wrestled on John Smith's college team. Pummeling with him is like trying to push down a brick wall.

We asked him if he could teach us John's single leg and he said in 21 years of coaching he had met two people who could do that shot.

That's like asking someone to teach you the skyhook, or how to take penalties like David Beckham.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Also, just to check, glasses are a bad idea with judo, right? Like I shouldn't be wearing them?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That's like asking someone to teach you the skyhook, or how to take penalties like David Beckham.

Once I got Mark Schultz to walk me through his headlock choke, so I figure it's always worth asking.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

you probably aren't going to do it like the greats but a lot of times they can tip you off on what they do and you can work it at your level. That low single is the devil's magic that I don't even pretend to understand.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

you probably aren't going to do it like the greats but a lot of times they can tip you off on what they do and you can work it at your level. That low single is the devil's magic that I don't even pretend to understand.

In addition, a lot of high level techniques are based off of principles and events that also occur at low levels, so even if you cannot master a difficult technique, it doesn't mean the training won't improve your basics.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

Also, just to check, glasses are a bad idea with judo, right? Like I shouldn't be wearing them?

Haha, no, you should not wear glasses for judo.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Guilty posted:

In addition, a lot of high level techniques are based off of principles and events that also occur at low levels, so even if you cannot master a difficult technique, it doesn't mean the training won't improve your basics.

That makes a lot of sense. Even though he couldn't even demonstrate Smith's low single (Xguard is right, that poo poo is voodoo) he showed us how to shoot low and drive through the side of the knee to approximate the shot without having to skim your chin 1mm above the mat.

Sexy Flanders
Jun 21, 2012

by T. Finninho
Thanks for all of the advice about my left foot as it is wrecked today. I was also surprised about how sore my shoulders were while practicing striking to the men. I had a really good time, everyone was welcoming and very eager to help new people learn. I'm definitely going to keep going. Tonight I'm actually attending a starter judo course with a friend at one of the USA Judo affiliate dojos in town. I looked up their staff and such and they seem legit.

Sexy Flanders fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 30, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I mean, Smith's shot isn't that hard to explain. "Hover an inch above the floor while you shoot forward 20 feet." Simple!

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I mean, Smith's shot isn't that hard to explain. "Hover an inch above the floor while you shoot forward 20 feet." Simple!

A voice in the back shouts "NOW WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT".

Reminds me of learning the left body hook. "Now turn and hit him with your left."

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Easy as learning a stiff jab. Don't just hit him with your left, hit him HARD.

Why didn't I think of that, gently caress me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Ligur posted:

Easy as learning a stiff jab. Don't just hit him with your left, hit him HARD.

Why didn't I think of that, gently caress me.

Except your coach's instructions sound more like "Mgggphhumh jpft hid dshcm ERD" and you get to do more ab wheels every time you ask him what the gently caress he just said.

The general lack of CTE in the grappling world is a wonderful thing.

• Locked thread