Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Daedalus Esquire posted:

1. My time with extract was pretty limited, but I assume DME and LME are referring to dry and liquid, not light and dark, right?

5. If you use yeast nutrients, you can probably have a decent one in a month or two, same as beer, but it really starts to shine at older ages. I had an 8 month cider that was absolutely wonderful.

Yes, I meant dry malt. As far as the cider, does it need to be in primary for months? Or can it be in primary for maybe a month, and will it continue to improve after bottling with a little priming sugar? What I mean to say is if cider loves aging, is aging time in the bottle as good as aging time in the fermenter?

Additional question: is it bad for fresh wort to travel? If I brewed some beer at a friend's house and then put it in the fermenter with airlock, is it bad for the wort to go in the back of my Jeep for a ride across town back to my house?

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Pucklynn posted:

Oh man, I tried my hand at brewing some mead today. It was.. interesting.

I first started making mead with a little kit that I bought at a ren faire. I knew exactly -0.5 things about mead and the directions were all wrong and I ended up opening it about a week after it finished fermenting (maybe it hadn't even stopped.. I'm not sure) to taste it, found it to be awful, and threw it out. I'm super-sad about that because now I realize that I was going about the entire thing rear end-backwards, so I decided to try again.

I ordered the hydromel kit from morebeer.com, which arrived last night. I opened it up to check everything out, then set it all aside for tonight. I definitely had yeast when I opened the package, but somehow between then and this afternoon it wandered off. I didn't even realize it was missing until I had the starter all ready to go and panicked because I had nothing to add to it. I decided to fudge it with some baking yeast, got everything else sanitized and mixed and good to go in my carboy. When I went to put vodka in the airlock, I found that it had taken a serious beating in transit and had several cracks around the bottom of it that were leaking. Not to be dissuaded, I rubber-banded a fresh dishcloth over the top of the plug where the airlock should have gone and stuck it in my closet. I also realized that I have no freaking clue how to read a hydrometer.

I have no idea if this is going to work or if it will be tasty or even if I successfully sanitized everything properly. I'm supposed to open it up every day while it's fermenting to stir the lees and at certain points add more yeasty foods, which means sanitizing my racking cane every time and worrying about things getting in when I open it. Would it be terrible if I just tossed the yeasty foods in once the fermentation starts and recap it and leave it alone?

Assuming all that goes even remotely well, I'm left with the question of what to do with all this mead. I'm currently in a dorm room in South Korea and I'll be leaving in six months (for good) so I have to either bequeath my bottles to friends who are still here and have them tell me how good/bad it is, or figure out how to ship twenty bottles of mead back to the states on either my or the government's dime.

I hope this stuff is tasty.. :ohdear:

No sin with the bread yeast, lots of first timers and quick recipes use the fleischmanns stuff. It actually has a tolerance of like 10-12 percent which is plenty for a hydromel.
with the hydrometer you just take the temperature of the must in the beginning, there's a chart that lets you adjust the reading for the temp ex. 70 degrees add .001
so you write that down. Then when its done take a another reading, and put the numbers in here http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/ . Why are you going to be stirring stuff around? For the first few days (like 5) give your carboy a good shake or pop the top, wait a second for some fresh air to get in, put the stopper back on, then give it a good shake. Should be a bubble blitz for a second or two then go back to normal. That's Co2 escaping your must while putting in good air to help your yeast. after fermentation has slowed down (a couple to a few weeks). Let it Sit. DON'T stir the sediment on the bottom, you want your mead to be clear. You'll probably be able to have a good "drinkable" finished product at 4 months, so you can drink it before you leave. Or continue aging it to make it better and find some way to ship Alcohol by Uncle Sam's nose. Just say its olive oil or something.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
I think, I guess, that's why a simple mead is best for first timers. Stir honey, energizer, and nutrient into water, pitch yeast, aerate, seal, wait.

A question for ye olde mead makers. How do I know the fermentation is good enough? Is it even a determinable thing? Everything looks fine in the fermentation lock. Filled with vodka and I see a large "blup" of a bubble ~ every second. If I put my ear aside the fermentation bucket, I can hear an audible fizz. But as a first timer I have no idea how to tell if this is a good solid fermentation.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Cointelprofessional posted:

Yes, Northern Brewer does. While they recommend it in the store, on the website both products that they offer have horrible reviews. Has anyone respond to the criticisms in the reviews or recommend something else?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/economy-test-jar.html

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/breakdown-test-jar.html

I've got the breakdown jar, it works great. I dropped it and cracked the top off, but it's still tall enough to hold my hydrometer. The 1st one really does truly suck, I had it briefly, there's no reason to not spend the extra buck and get one that works.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
It's fine to transport wort as long as it's not sitting in the sunlight as you drive around town and your airlock has a good seal on it so additional aeration doesn't occur (and of course outside stuff doesn't get in).

As with all fermentation questions (re: meadchat) the answer is always check the gravity.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Finished carbing up my Pumpkin Dubbel, ended up VERY spicy, about 8.5% ABV, and mighty nice. Next time I plan on racking with pumpkin in the secondary (there is almost no pumpkin flavor at all, and what little there is drowned out by the clove and cinnamon I used and the spicy T-55 yeast) and using less cloves in the boil. Also I need to work on the head retention, the oil from my cinnamon just kills any head it would have formed. Otherwise, very good winter beer! Too bad it's in the 70's in Arkansas today.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

As with all fermentation questions (re: meadchat) the answer is always check the gravity.

Assuming you're directing this to me. My initial gravity check was 1.111 as opposed to what I read as being the suggested 1.112. Be that as it may, I know fermentation can fail, slow down prematurely, or otherwise not take based on many different factors. And as much as I read, it's still my first batch and I'm a complete novice so, just wanted to know is good fermentation something that I can visibly see or do I need to open up the bucket and manually see if the gravity has changed? It's been less than 48 hours since I pitched the yeast, so, :iiam: to me.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Who Dat posted:

I think, I guess, that's why a simple mead is best for first timers. Stir honey, energizer, and nutrient into water, pitch yeast, aerate, seal, wait.

A question for ye olde mead makers. How do I know the fermentation is good enough? Is it even a determinable thing? Everything looks fine in the fermentation lock. Filled with vodka and I see a large "blup" of a bubble ~ every second. If I put my ear aside the fermentation bucket, I can hear an audible fizz. But as a first timer I have no idea how to tell if this is a good solid fermentation.

Well your yeast is probably making babies in there, which explains the fizz. I find without using any energizers or un-natural nutrients a good fermentation lasts about 7-12 days at 1-2 BPS (blips per second) and it follows a sort of bell curve into a slower final step until the blipping stops. Gravity readings will let you know if the fermentation is done, has used up all your sugars. If it has stopped for a long period of time and you happen to see a blip when checking on it , it may be the mead "degassing" which is letting additional Co2 out that may have been stuck in the mead one way or another. So if you calculate your current ABV and see that its about the range of your yeast (not always guaranteed as yeast can shoot over its "limits" or peter out a few percentage points before)your fermentation is probably done. Time to rack, take a sip, and age it out. If it is too dry you can always add campden tabs AND potassium sorbate, then add a honey and water mixture to your desired sweetness. I find that the dry ones get really nice as they age and become less harsh. Don't know if I stayed on topic, but there you go.

Edit: Now reading your post. Wait a month or two, then check your gravity. Your fermentation is just getting going now and will reach fever pitch over the next few days. What yeast did you use?

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 29, 2013

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

(Re: Hydrometer test jars) Has anyone respond to the criticisms in the reviews or recommend something else?
I can tell you what not to do, don't buy a 250mL graduated cylinder. It is so wide that it take almost a full 250mL to take a sample which means after a week you've used 10% of your beer just on sampling.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Well your yeast is probably making babies in there, which explains the fizz. I find without using any energizers or un-natural nutrients a good fermentation lasts about 7-12 days at 1-2 BPS (blips per second) and it follows a sort of bell curve into a slower final step until the blipping stops. Gravity readings will let you know if the fermentation is done, has used up all your sugars. If it has stopped for a long period of time and you happen to see a blip when checking on it , it may be the mead "degassing" which is letting additional Co2 out that may have been stuck in the mead one way or another. So if you calculate your current ABV and see that its about the range of your yeast (not always guaranteed as yeast can shoot over its "limits" or peter out a few percentage points before)your fermentation is probably done. Time to rack, take a sip, and age it out. If it is too dry you can always add campden tabs AND potassium sorbate, then add a honey and water mixture to your desired sweetness. I find that the dry ones get really nice as they age and become less harsh. Don't know if I stayed on topic, but there you go.

Edit: Now reading your post. Wait a month or two, then check your gravity. Your fermentation is just getting going now and will reach fever pitch over the next few days. What yeast did you use?

Good information nonetheless.

I used Lalvin 71B-1122 along with nutrient and energizer.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

fullroundaction posted:

It's fine to transport wort as long as it's not sitting in the sunlight as you drive around town and your airlock has a good seal on it so additional aeration doesn't occur (and of course outside stuff doesn't get in).

Additional aeration is a good thing, the ideal range goes well above the amount you can get in with just air.

Just get an undrilled bucket lid or stopper if you want to ideally transport. That's more to keep wort from splashing all over you and your car in the corners. Especially if you have a bucket you'll just shoot or suck sanitizer in the corners and stops if you airlock.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Who Dat posted:

Good information nonetheless.

I used Lalvin 71B-1122 along with nutrient and energizer.

when your gravity gets to .999-1.007 is around the alcohol tolerance of that strain 14% but as I said it can end before or after. According to the :science: it will be on the dry side. The nutrients and energizer won't necessarily boost your yeasts tolerance but it will ferment faster and make sure it has the foods it likes buffet style.

I brewed some beer and drove it home in a bucket, buckled up all real nice. I think the gas station man thought it was a big batch of meth cause he was staring at it while he pumped my gas. Anyways, fastest fermentation I've ever had with beer, probably cause of the 40 min bonus round of aeration.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

zedprime posted:

Additional aeration is a good thing, the ideal range goes well above the amount you can get in with just air.

Yeah, my wording was bad. I meant you don't want air from /driving around town/ to be able to have access to the wort.

Who Dat posted:

Assuming you're directing this to me. My initial gravity check was 1.111 as opposed to what I read as being the suggested 1.112. Be that as it may, I know fermentation can fail, slow down prematurely, or otherwise not take based on many different factors. And as much as I read, it's still my first batch and I'm a complete novice so, just wanted to know is good fermentation something that I can visibly see or do I need to open up the bucket and manually see if the gravity has changed? It's been less than 48 hours since I pitched the yeast, so, :iiam: to me.

Good (initial) fermentation is definitely something you can see and hear, but that is really only useful for the first part primary fermentation (basically letting you know your yeast is alive and well and doing its job). Some beers/meads can hit their final gravity in a few days, some can take over a month, but the only way to be sure is to take gravity readings once the audio/visual cues subside.

For instance, I've had a cider in secondary that hit its final gravity over a month ago and it still bubbles every couple minutes. I've also bottled a beer that was quiet for 2 weeks (I didn't take gravity readings because I was a newb) and it caused half the batch to explode in the bottles.

Plus the best part is you get to drink the samples :D

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Making a straightforward Saison partial mash. Trying to decide between Wyeast 3724 and 3711. 3724 sounds like more what I'm aiming for, a Belgian thing, but its recommended temperature is a bit higher than my drafty house can handle at the moment. I could probably up it by putting a towel around the bucket and putting the bucket over the heating vent?

But barring that, what are some major differences y'all have noticed about these strains?

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold
My CO2 tank just emptied, and I got it refilled. Now, when I hook it up to the regulator, it's maxing the pressure and blowing out the relief valve (on the regulator). I've got the pressure control knob backed out as far as it will go, and pressure is still sitting at ~55 PSI and leaking out the relief valve. Any ideas?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

I don't keep mine segregated and I haven't noticed any off tastes. After every keg, I'll run a few gallons of PBW through and let it sit for a day or two. Then I'll run Star San through when I'm cleaning my keg before racking into it.

Bruinator posted:

It's just expensive caustic solution (sodium hydroxide) so it's probably the best choice. I've only used it once but with good results. My cleaning regimen is a little bit splattery and I dont like the idea of getting caustic everywhere. Normally I run some PBW through and let it sit for a while before flushing with water and star san. My lines only get cleaned every 4 or 5 kegs and I've never had a flavor crossover but I do use that bev seal ultra barrier tubing. The lines are a pain in the rear end to balance and get on the barbs but they do what they advertise and dont discolor or hold tastes.

PBW it is, thank you. Yeah, I was kinda shocked when I sampled the IPA, it was like an optical illusion was being played on my palate. Great fruity nose, then this roasty up-front taste and a cocoa followup with a pleasant bitterness behind it. Switched over to another line that last had an IPA in it and it actually tasted as I wanted.

This was what I brewed, minus a yeast change to WLP001. Still too early to say how close it's going to be to a Duet clone, but it's spectacular in my samples I've pulled from the keg. The whole "Simcoe and Amarillo in harmony" thing is a call to Pat McIlhenney's hop oil ratio theory which he swears by in all of Alpine's IPAs. Given their track record, I'll trust that he knows what he's talking about.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Yes, Northern Brewer does. While they recommend it in the store, on the website both products that they offer have horrible reviews. Has anyone respond to the criticisms in the reviews or recommend something else?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/economy-test-jar.html

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/breakdown-test-jar.html
I have the second one and it works just fine. I wouldn't pay too much attention to those reviews, they are insane and I don't understand why these people are filling their testing jars with rubbing alcohol.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Woke up this morning to the smell of a yeasty house party, so all is well. :D

I did forget to take the temperature when I measured it at first, so I'm pretty sure my first reading won't be very helpful.

The instructions More Beer sent with my kit talk about having it completely ferment within 3 weeks, so maybe that's why they want me to poke it so much? I'm probably just going to follow their instructions for adding the yeasty foods but rather than stirring it just slosh it a bit. I don't want to risk contaminating it at this stage.

Yeasty.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
So, it's been a while since I've brewed and I am finding myself with all sorts of newbie questions. It's pretty weird, I can't remember if I once knew the answers to these things or if I just didn't care much.

Anyway, I've been checking in on my Citra IPA each night and it's been about 9 days since fermentation started. I have not taken a gravity reading yet because each time I peak at the bucket there is still a health amount of krausen on top. That's the right thing to do, right...just let it go until the krausen dissipates and then start checking gravity?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

the42ndtourist posted:

My CO2 tank just emptied, and I got it refilled. Now, when I hook it up to the regulator, it's maxing the pressure and blowing out the relief valve (on the regulator). I've got the pressure control knob backed out as far as it will go, and pressure is still sitting at ~55 PSI and leaking out the relief valve. Any ideas?

Regulators are backwards, are you sure you don't have it all the way open?

E. if you've tried it pegged both ways, your internals are probably busted.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 29, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Might have gotten some crud stuck in the regulator.

But yeah, make sure you're not doing the control knob backwards.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mikey Purp posted:

So, it's been a while since I've brewed and I am finding myself with all sorts of newbie questions. It's pretty weird, I can't remember if I once knew the answers to these things or if I just didn't care much.

Anyway, I've been checking in on my Citra IPA each night and it's been about 9 days since fermentation started. I have not taken a gravity reading yet because each time I peak at the bucket there is still a health amount of krausen on top. That's the right thing to do, right...just let it go until the krausen dissipates and then start checking gravity?

Sometimes the krausen will never "fall" and it will just sit there. 9 days is when I'd start dry hopping (assuming you're doing one). Its fairly rare for fermentation to actively progress that long, in reality I'd guess 90% of non-stuck fermentations are done in 4 days max. You can take a gravity reading over a few days to be sure, however.

I'm simply not patient or fidgety enough to deal with that kind of thing and I almost always just let the beer ferment 9 days (nine is my usual number), take a gravity reading and if the number is acceptable, start the next step; either packaging, dry hopping, etc.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Pucklynn posted:

The instructions More Beer sent with my kit talk about having it completely ferment within 3 weeks, so maybe that's why they want me to poke it so much? I'm probably just going to follow their instructions for adding the yeasty foods but rather than stirring it just slosh it a bit. I don't want to risk contaminating it at this stage.

The point of stirring up the lees is to get more of the yeast in contact with the must instead of packed in a layer at the bottom. It's not necessary but it can help, and sloshing is better than nothing.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I'm a pro slosher. I don't like to disturb any of the lees as I see it as a conflict with clarification. But after all its one brewers opinion against another and it's just that. An opinion. I'm sure either way will yield similar tasty results at some point.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

Good (initial) fermentation is definitely something you can see and hear, but that is really only useful for the first part primary fermentation (basically letting you know your yeast is alive and well and doing its job). Some beers/meads can hit their final gravity in a few days, some can take over a month, but the only way to be sure is to take gravity readings once the audio/visual cues subside.

For instance, I've had a cider in secondary that hit its final gravity over a month ago and it still bubbles every couple minutes. I've also bottled a beer that was quiet for 2 weeks (I didn't take gravity readings because I was a newb) and it caused half the batch to explode in the bottles.

Plus the best part is you get to drink the samples :D

I think what worries me the most is bottling to soon for that very reason of things exploding. I might just let it sit in the carboy for longer than suggested and keep taking gravity readings.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

when your gravity gets to .999-1.007 is around the alcohol tolerance of that strain 14% but as I said it can end before or after. According to the :science: it will be on the dry side. The nutrients and energizer won't necessarily boost your yeasts tolerance but it will ferment faster and make sure it has the foods it likes buffet style.

Fine with me. I think I prefer drier wines anyway. I will recheck the gravity in a few weeks before I rack into my carboy...which reminds me to get another hydrometer. I broke it while cleaning it. Fragile little things. Maybe I'll grab a few this time. Thanks for the explanation.

Also, any of you resident mead-makers have any experience with braggot?

Who Dat fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 30, 2013

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I'm a pro slosher. I don't like to disturb any of the lees as I see it as a conflict with clarification. But after all its one brewers opinion against another and it's just that. An opinion. I'm sure either way will yield similar tasty results at some point.

I'm not worried about clarity during primary fermentation which is when MoreBeer says to stir up the lees. After fermentation is over then yeah you don't want to disturb any sediment. Usually racking 2 or 3 times with a month in between will clear it up nicely.

I really need to make more mead but I've got 3 batches waiting to bottle first.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Who Dat posted:

I think what worries me the most is bottling to soon for that very reason of things exploding. I might just let it sit in the carboy for longer than suggested and keep taking gravity readings.

Fine with me. I think I prefer drier wines anyway. I will recheck the gravity in a few weeks before I rack into my carboy...which reminds me to get another hydrometer. I broke it while cleaning it. Fragile little things. Maybe I'll grab a few this time. Thanks for the explanation.

Also, any of you resident mead-makers have any experience with braggot?

When your ready to bottle just add a campden tab per gallon and some potassium sorbate a few days before and your bottles shouldn't die hard even if it is sweet. You should pick up those while you're getting your hydrometer(s).

Braggots... Haven't done one yet but I've got one in my experiments to do log. Probably do it after my bochet ill be making in a couple weeks. If I get to it before you, I'll let ya know. Will be using cara aroma malt for a cinnamon bun mead.

Edit: true enough for sure on the stirring up the yeast during primary since most of it won't have started settling yet anyways. I've not encountered any issues with my sloshing method which is probably why I don't bother stirring.

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 30, 2013

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
I have a Brown Ale that has been sitting on Brett L for about 3 months. After about 3 months more, I plan on pouring a Berliner Weisse on the yeast cake for a refreshing summer beer. I have seen a number of recipes, some involving mangos or watermelon. Any suggestions on recipes and/or fruit?

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

ScaerCroe posted:

I have a Brown Ale that has been sitting on Brett L for about 3 months. After about 3 months more, I plan on pouring a Berliner Weisse on the yeast cake for a refreshing summer beer. I have seen a number of recipes, some involving mangos or watermelon. Any suggestions on recipes and/or fruit?

I've thought about making this before.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/drunk-owl-mango-55227/

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Just got the go-ahead from the wife to start putting together a shopping list of homebrew equipment since moving and leaving everything behind. I've brewed in an apartment before but this time I'll be brewing in a small NYC apartment. Previously I was doing all-grain batches and full boil extract brews on the lazier days, both of which I can't see myself doing in the space I have. I have a pretty good gas stove but is there a way to know if it'll be able to keep 3-4+gal boiling without buying the kettle and trying? I'm looking at the morebeer kit that comes with a 7.5g kettle.

Alternatively, Northern Brewer has a neat looking 3gal BIAB kit. I have no problem ending up with 3gal batches as it will allow me to brew more often and switch up what's on tap. I've heard good things about BIAB and while I've never tried the method it seems to be one of the best options for AG in an apartment.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

two_beer_bishes posted:

Just got the go-ahead from the wife to start putting together a shopping list of homebrew equipment since moving and leaving everything behind. I've brewed in an apartment before but this time I'll be brewing in a small NYC apartment. Previously I was doing all-grain batches and full boil extract brews on the lazier days, both of which I can't see myself doing in the space I have. I have a pretty good gas stove but is there a way to know if it'll be able to keep 3-4+gal boiling without buying the kettle and trying? I'm looking at the morebeer kit that comes with a 7.5g kettle.

Alternatively, Northern Brewer has a neat looking 3gal BIAB kit. I have no problem ending up with 3gal batches as it will allow me to brew more often and switch up what's on tap. I've heard good things about BIAB and while I've never tried the method it seems to be one of the best options for AG in an apartment.

A decent gas stove should be able to handle 4 gallon boils no problem, I've done 5 gallon boils on my lovely apartment electric stove. It took an hour to reach a boil but it still got there.

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005
It helps if your pot is big enough to span 2 burners. I used to do 10 gallon all grain on the stove top and although it took forever it worked. If your stove has trouble you can get a $40 bucket heater on Amazon to speed things up.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I heat additional water in an electric tea kettle to help speed up my boils / get my mash water up to temp. It's only 1.75L but it boils really quickly and makes a huge difference overall time-wise.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Bruinator posted:

It helps if your pot is big enough to span 2 burners. I used to do 10 gallon all grain on the stove top and although it took forever it worked. If your stove has trouble you can get a $40 bucket heater on Amazon to speed things up.

I've found this tends to scorch the poo poo out of my stovetop for whatever reason.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks for the info everyone, getting stupidly excited about brewing again!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

two_beer_bishes posted:

I brew all-grain in a tiny NYC apartment and while it sucks, it works. Definitely get a kettle that is large enough to span two burners. I'm able to get ~6.5 gal of wort to boiling in about 15-20 minutes that way. You can take a trip to China town and pick up a 10 gallon aluminum pot for like $50.

I've not done BIAB, but that would actually be a pretty smart way to go about it.

Angry Grimace posted:

I've found this tends to scorch the poo poo out of my stovetop for whatever reason.

I always wrap my stove top in foil (shiny side up) and that took care of that problem for me.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 30, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cleaning the hell out of the stovetop beforehand makes a big difference too. Also wipe up any splashes or spills immediately, no matter how small. If the stove will be running full-blast for hours then anything on the surface will get turned to charcoal.

I couldn't figure out how I kept finding a dusting of burnt stuff baked onto my stovetop after every brew until I noticed that a little bit of dust was falling on there while I was putting the dry, crushed grain into the pot to steep at the start. Handling the grain across the room (instead of on the counter right next to the stove) and being careful not to let any dust escape while putting it in the pot made the problem go away.

withak fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 30, 2013

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Quick Question:

My last two batches I bottled, a couple of the bottles came out super loving carbonated when I opened them, we're talking about just opening the bottle, then the head slowly erupting out the top.

How can I avoid this?

The recipes I have tell me to bottle then wait 4 or so weeks. Would this intense carbonation be a result of me loving up the priming sugar somehow, or not mixing it well enough or some thing else, or is it just the way it works, sometimes bottles will carbonate more than others?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Not mixing could be it, but really if you pour in the sugar water then rack on top of that...its pretty hard to do anything wrong. Variation between bottles can definitely happen but I've never seen super extreme swings myself.

My personal experience with overcarbed bottles falls in 2 categories:
1) Putting 5oz of the kit sugar in a beer that should not have had all 5oz used (Yay, now I use a priming calculator!)
2) Not ACTUALLY checking my volume. As in "Yeah this was a 5 gallon batch..." only to realize when I open the first rocket of a bottle that it was like 4.25gallons or something. haha. (I'm an idiot basically)

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If your carbonation is highly variable across your batch, it's basically a sure thing that you didn't mix the priming sugar in well enough. People say rack on top of the sugar water, but I haven't had good luck without actually stirring.