Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Google Music doesn't have an API? Last I checked, aren't there Google Music apps on iOS not made by Google? What's going on there? I might be mistaken though...

Pretty sure it's just HTML5 and JavaScript on their site, so the iOS apps could well just be emulating whatever HTTP calls are being made.

Edit: wouldn't be the only instance of that, see also https://github.com/simon-weber/Unofficial-Google-Music-API

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Geektox posted:

Yeah, that was my issue with Mint. I could avoid budgeting by never logging on. YNAB is pretty great and has a pretty good UI too.
Now if they'd update their Android app to a Holo style, everything would be swell. They've said on their forum they wanted to be more Holo with the next UI update, but they haven't said when that'd be.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Pretty sure it's just HTML5 and JavaScript on their site, so the iOS apps could well just be emulating whatever HTTP calls are being made.

Edit: wouldn't be the only instance of that, see also https://github.com/simon-weber/Unofficial-Google-Music-API

Oh, I didn't think about that part. It makes sense now then. Still a little annoying to see there are third party apps but at least now it's not as annoying as an API would be a lot better.

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you like something to keep using after the vacation, I'd suggest YNAB. It isn't that cheap, but worth it.

Be aware, it'll require manual transaction entering (altho you can import statements), which some people don't like. But what good is a budget, if everything's automated (e.g. mint.com) and you're not aware of your money flows.

I just dumped Mint.com today after realizing that they're basically selling my information to companies to try to sell me programs I don't want. It also wasn't really helping me out in the budget sense. I only used it to tell me how much I had left in my account via the e-mails.

I'm reading through YNAB's site now. Thanks for the recommendation for it!

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Have a problem. Just recently all my internet streaming apps seem to shut off randomly when playing. This goes for tune in, I heart radio, Pandora. They all do it. What could cause this?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

ThermoPhysical posted:

I just dumped Mint.com today after realizing that they're basically selling my information to companies to try to sell me programs I don't want.

You may also want to consider dropping Facebook and Twitter as well.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Cbear posted:

Have a problem. Just recently all my internet streaming apps seem to shut off randomly when playing. This goes for tune in, I heart radio, Pandora. They all do it. What could cause this?

Your internet connection drops.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

As much as I like GoodNews, seeing my "To Play" list get repopulated seemingly randomly is getting annoying. Does anyone know what exactly is triggering this? I know it's on Google Reader's side, according to GoodNews, but it's still incredibly annoying to go through a list of podcasts and having to untag/force delete all of them.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

AppleCobbler posted:

You may also want to consider dropping Facebook and Twitter as well.

Yeah, I found that Mint was nearly useless for me. It doesn't find money in half my accounts, it doesn't know how to classify the majority of my purchases, and it just gives me ads. It doesn't do anything a nice excel sheet doesn't do.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Meanwhile, I'm in the process of shifting from Quicken to Mint.

I really don't need budget tools, just something to aggregate and categorize my transactions automatically as well as give me bill reminders.

I've been using Quicken since 2010 and MS Money before that (still annoyed that Microsoft killed Money.) However, Quicken has this annoying habit of "upgrade or you lose account syncing capability." My 2010 version started yelling about not being able to sync past April unless I upgraded. I honestly wouldn't mind upgrading if the new versions actually had any improvements. But seeing as how Intuit is somehow farming their UI design back to 1995, I just can't bring myself to spend money on the newest version.

The main thing that Mint lacks is the ability to reconcile accounts, but I'm not entirely sure I really need that. I think I'm just going through the exercise at this point out of habit rather than any utility and honestly I could replicate a lot of that functionality with tags. I just hope that Intuit doesn't slowly ruin mint and make it as annoying as their desktop software.

Bonus is, I can use my tablet or phone now to keep track of things.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Any recommendations on a good flash card app? I've tried AnkiDroid and the interface makes me want to throw my phone, and I've tried AnyMemo which seems like it could be awesome but it doesn't seem to want to download the txt file I have in my dropbox. (To be specific, I can log in and find the file, and it even tells me it's successfully downloaded, but it won't show up in the folder it says it was downloaded to)

Now that I know it's possible, I really want to find one with a simple interface that can import from dropbox.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Is there a good podcast app for droid? I've been using TuneIn, but it seems pretty crappy, if I step out of wifi range it just dies. It also has issues buffering if I scrub to get back to where I was at. I'd like to be able to store them on my sdcard as well.

On a side-note any recommendations for good android podcasts?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Is there a good podcast app for droid? I've been using TuneIn, but it seems pretty crappy, if I step out of wifi range it just dies. It also has issues buffering if I scrub to get back to where I was at. I'd like to be able to store them on my sdcard as well.

Can you not download the podcasts locally? Most podcast apps I know of will stop strems if you switch from WiFi to cellular or vice versa, although most of them will retry/resume downloads in progress.

I like DoggCatcher, it's ugly and robust. Very Android.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

There is a lot of discussion about different podcasting apps throughout this thread. I use PocketCasts and it seems to work great for me, but just search this thread for podcast and you'll find lots of info.

I have a question that has been bugging me: why does Android require over 150 megs free (of my 1GB internal storage, ugh) to update a 20 meg app through the play store? Why don't more app developers allow apps to be moved to the SD card? Wasn't one of the recent changes for the play store supposed to allow for delta patches, rather than full downloads? I feel I have to spend way too much effort babysitting updates to my applications because of "Insufficient Storage" or other errors.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
^^ I think that the Play store only displays the installed size of the app - not the actual size of the available app update.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh, I didn't think about that part. It makes sense now then. Still a little annoying to see there are third party apps but at least now it's not as annoying as an API would be a lot better.

I just dumped Mint.com today after realizing that they're basically selling my information to companies to try to sell me programs I don't want. It also wasn't really helping me out in the budget sense. I only used it to tell me how much I had left in my account via the e-mails.

I'm reading through YNAB's site now. Thanks for the recommendation for it!

I'm not sure if I'm being gauche by linking my own work, but I've shared a Google Docs spreadsheet that I use for everyday household budgeting over in the Business/Finance/Careers forum. It's similar to YNAB, but I just didn't like YNAB's interface.

If being able to input expenses etc. on the go is a big requirement, though, by all means I'd recommend going with YNAB (or some other budgeting solution); I've found that Drive is competent enough for quick overviews, but entering and amending information isn't comfortable, particularly on a phone handset.

spincube fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 29, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

I use pocketcast. Worth the money.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Is there an app that supports gchat Facebook and sms all in one?

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

I couldn't ask much more from BeyondPod.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

az jan jananam posted:

I couldn't ask much more from BeyondPod.

I like BeyondPod much more than Pocketcasts. Beyondpod just dropped a tablet version, and I can't figure it out, but I haven't played with it much.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

huhu posted:

Is there an app that supports gchat Facebook and sms all in one?

We all wish for this.

Rumor had it that Google would be putting more effort into unifying their GChat/MMS/SMS/GV clients into one (I think that's what I remember from a few mos ago) and announce something at Google I/O '13.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BoyBlunder posted:

We all wish for this.

Rumor had it that Google would be putting more effort into unifying their GChat/MMS/SMS/GV clients into one (I think that's what I remember from a few mos ago) and announce something at Google I/O '13.

Yeah, that would be a killer app. They bought Meebo, which basically integrated all IM platforms, but haven't done anything with it yet. 70% of the worlds smart phones are Android, a cross platform Android chat app integrating SMS and MMS would be fantastic.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yeah, I found that Mint was nearly useless for me. It doesn't find money in half my accounts, it doesn't know how to classify the majority of my purchases, and it just gives me ads. It doesn't do anything a nice excel sheet doesn't do.

The killer app for Mint in my opinion is that you can create a unique password for it, have it installed and saved on your phone, and thereby be able to see what's in your accounts without having any risk of giving someone access to those accounts if your phone gets stolen.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

berzerker posted:

The killer app for Mint in my opinion is that you can create a unique password for it, have it installed and saved on your phone, and thereby be able to see what's in your accounts without having any risk of giving someone access to those accounts if your phone gets stolen.

Doesn't a PIN on the phone accomplish the same thing?

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Any recommendations on a good flash card app? I've tried AnkiDroid and the interface makes me want to throw my phone, and I've tried AnyMemo which seems like it could be awesome but it doesn't seem to want to download the txt file I have in my dropbox. (To be specific, I can log in and find the file, and it even tells me it's successfully downloaded, but it won't show up in the folder it says it was downloaded to)

Now that I know it's possible, I really want to find one with a simple interface that can import from dropbox.
Have you tried ankidroid recently? Their V2 update is an improvement over the previous version and addressed most of the issues I had with it. Once I managed to get my cards in the anki format (this was the worst part for me) it became my favorite flashcard app, and I have tried a ton of them on Android and iOS. I really like the way they handle the spaced-repetition and the widget is pretty neat too.

Triponurmom
Sep 21, 2011

Finally after a month or two of not working Awful works again.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Say what? Are you running Awful instead of Awful Betamax or something? As it's been working just fine except for a short time after the new forum design went live.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Triponurmom posted:

Finally after a month or two of not working Awful works again.

There's a 200+ page thread just for the Awful app that you could have posted in instead of being stuck with a broken app for two months.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thought this would be a better place to post this but I'm starting to think that either the keyboard for 4.2 is broken or there are touch issues for my Nexus 4. If I try to do the swipe keyboard, the blue line goes all across the screen but the words show up fine.

If I type normally, it works fine too. It only seems to happen on landscape mode. I have show touches on and that shows that the touches are responding correctly so I don't know.

Is anyone else having this issue?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 30, 2013

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Doesn't a PIN on the phone accomplish the same thing?

Yes, if you want to enter it every time you use your phone and also clean off the fingerprints each time so it's not completely obvious which four (or fewer) digits you press for your pin.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

There's an app I can get to put bokeh on images, but what about blur or DOF, even if it's fake?

Instagram does this kind of, but is there any android apps which could help with this? The closest I've done is accidentally taken a photo out of focus

And probably only because I was stoned out of my goddamn mind at the time. Image editing apps are fine. I need more suggestions for different filters anyways.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

berzerker posted:

Yes, if you want to enter it every time you use your phone and also clean off the fingerprints each time so it's not completely obvious which four (or fewer) digits you press for your pin.

That's why I prefer the trace instead of the pin.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

socialsecurity posted:

That's why I prefer the trace instead of the pin.

Ah, yes, limit them to 2 possible paths instead of 24.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Ah, yes, limit them to 2 possible paths instead of 24.

Or just wash your greasy rear end fingers and / or face so there's no oils all over your phone.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There's an app I can get to put bokeh on images, but what about blur or DOF, even if it's fake?

After Focus does this fairly well, from my experience.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yeah, that would be a killer app. They bought Meebo, which basically integrated all IM platforms, but haven't done anything with it yet. 70% of the worlds smart phones are Android, a cross platform Android chat app integrating SMS and MMS would be fantastic.

Christ, I wish they'd buy something like Whatsapp. That'd be amazing.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

berzerker posted:

3 unique digits are actually more "secure" in this scenario than 4

With 4 distinct prints, you have to try 24 permutations. If there are only 3 prints, you have to try 36 times, because you don't know which number is the repeated one

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tamba posted:

3 unique digits are actually more "secure" in this scenario than 4

With 4 distinct prints, you have to try 24 permutations. If there are only 3 prints, you have to try 36 times, because you don't know which number is the repeated one
Use a length-four pin that only contains three unique digits and then "press" a fourth digit after you've finishing entering it. Those thieves won't know what hit them.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

You guys know android supports pins longer than 4 right? Mine is six. My girlfriend actually uses 8. Its not any more difficult to remember than 4 once you're entering it 30 times a day.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
The fingerprint scanner on the Atrix was great. I don't know why no one else will do it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

berzerker posted:

After a few failed attempts doesn't it prompt you for your Google password? Also, who are these people with out a PIN on their phone? Why would you ever do that? If you lose your phone, you have a lot more to worry about than accessing Mint. Especially since I guess they could just reset your Mint password and have a reset link emailed to you, which will go to your phone anyways.

Aren't there a bunch of apps that allow you to password protect other apps? You could just use one to password Google Drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

bunky posted:

After Focus does this fairly well, from my experience.

Is there a decent image manipulation app that does all this type of stuff in one package? I like photo editing but I hate having to have a single app that only does one or two things.

• Locked thread