Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Shockeh posted:

We played a five man FFA last night after having played a game before, and it worked just fine. Oddly, a basic Obsidian Squadron TIE won it. :v:

This makes me happy. Thanks for the reply. I can't wait.

Do we know when the Millenium Falcon comes out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

tehsid posted:

This makes me happy. Thanks for the reply. I can't wait.

Do we know when the Millenium Falcon comes out?

Mid-late February.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Mid-late February.

Awesome. Gives me time to get more cash together (and for them to get them in Australia...)

Thanks for the help guys.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I am looking to unload my collection: a base set extra dice and a full set of wave 1 ships. None of my friends ate interested in playing. I'm having difficulty posting the link to my samart thread in my phone so if anyone is interested check there or hit me up on pms. Looking for $100 shipped conus.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
What's that new, $120? (That's what it'd be in GDP calculated out, anyway.)

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron

Verdugo posted:

I am looking to unload my collection: a base set extra dice and a full set of wave 1 ships. None of my friends ate interested in playing. I'm having difficulty posting the link to my samart thread in my phone so if anyone is interested check there or hit me up on pms. Looking for $100 shipped conus.

I'm currently talking with Verdugo in his SAMart thread but shipping might turn out to be an issue. I'm in Australia and most places seem to be out of stock, and those that aren't are going to charge around $130 AUD for one of everything (core, xwing, ywing, tie, tie advanced)

Does anyone know of any online resources, in Australia or international, that have stock and won't charge like a wounded bull for shipping?

As it stands I'm waiting to see the shipping estimate from Verdugo.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Iron_Chef posted:

I'm currently talking with Verdugo in his SAMart thread but shipping might turn out to be an issue. I'm in Australia and most places seem to be out of stock, and those that aren't are going to charge around $130 AUD for one of everything (core, xwing, ywing, tie, tie advanced)

Does anyone know of any online resources, in Australia or international, that have stock and won't charge like a wounded bull for shipping?

As it stands I'm waiting to see the shipping estimate from Verdugo.

I grabbed my stuff from http://www.gamesparadise.com.au/ as they have a 20% off coupon running now (GPMEGASALE).
For everything (except dice, which they didn't have in stock) it was $103.80AUD plus $8 for shipping. Not bad and these guys are the only mob who get them in stock every day or two.

Speaking of which, I got order today after I had to cancel my order from anther place who hosed me around. Apparently they had stock when I ordered, then I get an email saying they wouldn't have any until late Feb... then they took a week to refund me.

Anyway, I had a game with just the starter kit and I really enjoyed it. It flows so well once you know the basics. Its simple, without being simplistic. I love it.
Can't wait until I can have another game (tomorrow!).

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron

tehsid posted:

I grabbed my stuff from http://www.gamesparadise.com.au/ as they have a 20% off coupon running now (GPMEGASALE).
For everything (except dice, which they didn't have in stock) it was $103.80AUD plus $8 for shipping. Not bad and these guys are the only mob who get them in stock every day or two.

I saw this site but I thought the prices were a bit rich, but I completely missed the 20% off code. Once the discount is applied it's not bad and I've placed an order so thanks!

Hopefully I can get some friends interested and maybe teach wifey.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

So I took the plunge a couple weeks ago and bought a starter and an expansion of each, and my buddies and I have been having a blast playing the game, but I've got two questions for you guys.

1 - Are you all just playing the 3 missions in the back of the starter book? Or maybe just who ever kills the enemies first? While we are enjoying playing, the same 3 scenarios are starting to get really bland. Any additional scenarios or ideas would be fantastic.

2 - I was browsing the Fantasy Flight Website, mostly to gaze longingly at the Falcon Model, when I realized that the site now lists the second wave of expansions for a March release. I was under the impression we were getting the new models in mid-February, and hadn't heard any details about a delay.

Overall though, My little group of friends seem hooked, and while we've been playing with only my models, I think I've convinced them all to at least purchase an expansion or two from the second wave. :getin:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TheTofuShop posted:

2 - I was browsing the Fantasy Flight Website, mostly to gaze longingly at the Falcon Model, when I realized that the site now lists the second wave of expansions for a March release. I was under the impression we were getting the new models in mid-February, and hadn't heard any details about a delay.

FFG is notorious for missing release dates, doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

TheTofuShop posted:

So I took the plunge a couple weeks ago and bought a starter and an expansion of each, and my buddies and I have been having a blast playing the game, but I've got two questions for you guys.

1 - Are you all just playing the 3 missions in the back of the starter book? Or maybe just who ever kills the enemies first? While we are enjoying playing, the same 3 scenarios are starting to get really bland. Any additional scenarios or ideas would be fantastic.

Overall though, My little group of friends seem hooked, and while we've been playing with only my models, I think I've convinced them all to at least purchase an expansion or two from the second wave. :getin:

While I haven't tried any of the missions other then kill each other, I have been looking at boardgamegeeks website (http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1058870/star-wars-x-wing-miniatures-game/variants) and there are a few cool missions in there. Once I have the other start ships, I'll be looking into them more. Have a look and see if anything tickles your fancy.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
Got a few games in over the weekend; awesome fun but we both really need to work on manoeuvring properly as we ended up with all 9 ships touching in a massive conga line at one point.

I wish it wasn't sold out basically everywhere now as I wanna get enough ships for 2 100 point forces so I can. Lure my friends in.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Joe_Richter posted:

Got a few games in over the weekend; awesome fun but we both really need to work on manoeuvring properly as we ended up with all 9 ships touching in a massive conga line at one point.

I wish it wasn't sold out basically everywhere now as I wanna get enough ships for 2 100 point forces so I can. Lure my friends in.

If you are in the US, email me at username @gmail.com

Edit: or anyone looking for x-wing stuff I guess

omnibobb fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 12, 2013

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008

tehsid posted:

While I haven't tried any of the missions other then kill each other, I have been looking at boardgamegeeks website (http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1058870/star-wars-x-wing-miniatures-game/variants) and there are a few cool missions in there. Once I have the other start ships, I'll be looking into them more. Have a look and see if anything tickles your fancy.

I made a thing: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4Ha0RiPWRfUUE5fdUw3YmxLRnM/edit?usp=sharing

Different setup options.

Mission cards and victory point scoring.

Had a couple of comments a few pages back and one idea for a new mission, but not much else. I'd love to hear if it was any use to you guys who are bored of the 3 basic missions or just fighting.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

It looks great! I haven't used it, but I'ma print that out later.

Has anyone seen any sites that list competent matched setups at given point values? I want to be able to set it up and play it WITHOUT customizing sides sometimes, and don't want to be limited to the one scenario in the manual.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

omnibobb posted:

If you are in the US, email me at username @gmail.com

I'm in the UK unfortunately, which also probably adds 2 to 3 weeks extra on any new stock getting over here.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

homullus posted:

It looks great! I haven't used it, but I'ma print that out later.

Has anyone seen any sites that list competent matched setups at given point values? I want to be able to set it up and play it WITHOUT customizing sides sometimes, and don't want to be limited to the one scenario in the manual.

There's this which generates random squadrons, and, since it's random might manage to generate both sides with equal ineptitude.

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron
Got my core box and wave 1 ships delivered on Tuesday but I still haven't got to play. I've read the rule book twice and the PDF once. Sigh. I am watching Episode 4 on BluRay though; I forgot how much Star Wars pre-Han sucks.

More inspiring talk of Xwings and TIEs doing cool things at each other please!

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
My wave 2 collection just shipped:

2x Falcon
2x Firespray
1 A-wing
2x Interceptors

I already have one Falcon, an A-wing, and two Interceptors from the Kessel Run tourney. I think I'm now set for the next few months!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SERPUS posted:

My wave 2 collection just shipped:

2x Falcon
2x Firespray
1 A-wing
2x Interceptors

I already have one Falcon, an A-wing, and two Interceptors from the Kessel Run tourney. I think I'm now set for the next few months!

Where'd you order from? Everything I'm seeing still has them listed as Pre Orders

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron
Managed to get two games in just using the starter rules playing against the wife. Ended up 2-0 Empire's way but the second game was close (the player tally ended up one all). Might just try and add actions to the starter rules and slowly work towards the full rules.

Are the wave 2 Falcon and Slave 1 ships unique, or the generic hull and the pilot's unique?

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Iron_Chef posted:

Are the wave 2 Falcon and Slave 1 ships unique, or the generic hull and the pilot's unique?

Generic hull (YT-1300 freighter and Firespray-31) with unique pilots, and a new unique card to turn one into the Millennium falcon (gains evade action) or Slave 1 (gains torpedo icon).

You can totally have multiple YT-1300s or Firesprays in a single list.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
My wave 2 list is three basic YT-1300s. It's pretty funny. I've played it about a dozen times using 2 proxy ships. It is frustrating to fly against, but my friend's Vader swarm beats me 2 out of 3 times.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
1 Defense is harsh. Y-Wings are bad because of that 1 Defense, because their shields and hull simply make up for their lack of defense, they don't actually make them tougher. Add to that the lack of maneuverability and speed, and yeah. Honestly, Y-Wings need about a 2-3 point decrease across the board, since they're totally useless against Imperials unless you pay for an Ion Cannon, and only mediocre then. YT's might be in a similar boat, though the constant 360 firing arc and higher durability might make them more useful in practice.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SERPUS posted:

My wave 2 list is three basic YT-1300s. It's pretty funny. I've played it about a dozen times using 2 proxy ships. It is frustrating to fly against, but my friend's Vader swarm beats me 2 out of 3 times.

Just out of curiosity, what are you using to proxy for the larger ship bases?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

jivjov posted:

Just out of curiosity, what are you using to proxy for the larger ship bases?

Just a square acrylic cutout measured off of the original. Then I just use scans of the card bases I already have.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SERPUS posted:

Just a square acrylic cutout measured off of the original. Then I just use scans of the card bases I already have.

Far more :effort: that I would ever go to, haha. I feel kinda dumb right now, I jumped on the Edge of the Empire pre-order deal over on Cool Stuff, and added a Falcon and Slave I to the order to get free shipping. Since they don't ship until all preorders are out, I might no see those ships for quite a while...

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron

SERPUS posted:

Ack, that's bit terrifying considering the wave 2 larger ships are like 1.5 times the cost of the fighters ($ wise). What are the points cost to field them; I thought I read the YT 1300 was like 45 base?

Crevic
Aug 4, 2007

Iron_Chef posted:

Ack, that's bit terrifying considering the wave 2 larger ships are like 1.5 times the cost of the fighters ($ wise). What are the points cost to field them; I thought I read the YT 1300 was like 45 base?

The generic Outer Rim Smuggler is 27 points. Han, Lando, and Chewie are 46, 44, 42, respectively.

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron
Got to teach and play the game with a friend today. Just using the core starter rules as Rebels, lost. Then we played using the same units but full rules (actions, crits) as Empire, lost. Then we made custom 100 point "fleets" with what we had, Core + wave 1 so I only had 3 TIEs and 1 advanced, lost to target lock/proton torp spam and Vader almost being Ion cannoned of the table.

I suck at this game, but I think I want to buy more! Maybe more TIEs to create a target rich environment will save me

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
My latest Imperial list is only 5 ships, 4 TIE's and Vader.

Vader gets Concussion Missiles and Squad Leader; Mauler Mithal gets Determination, Backstabber, Dark Curse, Night Beast.

Elite TIEs, go! Versus 3 ship Rebels you still have numbers and solid firepower; versus 4 ships you have higher pilot skill than 75% of their force. Against Imps, it's more of a crapshoot, but Vader, Mauler, and Backstabber can all get better odds to hit than most TIEs, so you have a small edge there. Can't wait for Wave 2 though, when I can run something like:

Soontir Fel (30); Daredevil

Turr Phennir (25)

Mauler Mithel (17)

Backstabber (16)

Academy Pilot (12)

A cheap roadblock and 4 pilots with 4 attack dice in the right circumstances. :getin:

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron
So I was pondering my spaceship storage options, when I remembered how mums would get Transformers and Star Wars mixed up all the time. Or was that just my mum?

Transformers

Star Wars

I was saving the case for my (presently 8 month old) son (along with the potato sack of Transformers), but I guess he can't have the case now. Or Optimus, he's still mine too!

Iron_Chef fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 18, 2013

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

My friends and I ran a couple games using the rules for the Wave 2 Ships (no YT or Firespray yet), and I gotta say, the boost action is one of the most useful things in the game. It seemed to always be just enough to either turn a bit to get a shot off, or get a bit closer to be in Range 2 instead of Range 3 when firing. The added primary ATK value for the Interceptors (3) was really helpful for the empire lists we ran, and the A-Wing's extra movement options were a breath of fresh air after clunking Y-Wings into asteroids.

One of these days I'm going to have to put together a BatRep of a game, I think the next time we all get together, we are going to try to run the Death Star Scenario I found on BoardGameGeek.

Kengi
Sep 22, 2006
Gamer, geek, and ladies man
Apparently the date for Wave 2 stuff is February 28th. Just over a week away. FFG also did a nice detailed look at the A-Wing.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3957

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008
I started making some TIE Defenders a while ago, but they got a lot fiddly and have been sitting on my desk in pieces ever since. Recently though I discovered these on Shapeways and promptly ordered a set.

If you have a good look on Shapeways, there are a load of ships you could order.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/904825/xe95-huntsman-1-270-boardgame-scale-3-pack.html?li=productBox-search
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/mel_miniatures?l=36

I might get around to some of the headhunters. I was interested in the Skiprays and Star Vipers (been playing lots of Empire at War lately) but they are a bit pricy for one ship.

Bow-street Bastard
Mar 27, 2010

Hey dudes, me and a buddy were thinking of picking this up and getting a good set together since trying it at a friends house and being totally blown away, was just wondering what you would recommend purchasing to get the most enjoyable start now that the set has been out long enough for wave 2 to hit?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bow-street Bastard posted:

Hey dudes, me and a buddy were thinking of picking this up and getting a good set together since trying it at a friends house and being totally blown away, was just wondering what you would recommend purchasing to get the most enjoyable start now that the set has been out long enough for wave 2 to hit?

The best way to go in my opinion is get the core set and one of every expansion. That gives you plenty of ships to get started, and you'll have more when wave 2 hits.

Some people might tell you to get another core set for extra fighters. That would nice but unless you have lots of extra money that's been bothering you I'd hold off until you have the wave 2 ships to still if you still feel like you really need more fighters.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bow-street Bastard posted:

I'd agree that 1 or each expansion should be fine until wave 2 hits. That will give you extra ships + unique pilots/upgrades that the core set doesn't have. Some people recommend 2 cores sets, but it's really only needed if you want extra dice/movement templates/asteroids, and honestly you can buy extra dice and make your own move templates. Strictly speaking each side is supposed to have their own damage deck but I don't think it matters enough to plunk down another $40.

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron
I've bought Core and the wave 1 expansions, and I find things are now in the Rebels favour. The ratio of ships on the board has gone from 1:2 (space terrorists to space police) playing quick start/core only to 3:4 ships for 100 points battles. Playing as the Imperials I find I'm buying more upgrades just to try and eat up points. Another 1 or 2 TIEs from a core set would be great, but maybe in wave 2 topping up with TIE Interceptors will work out better.

Edit: fixed ratios; plus more dice would be better too!

Iron_Chef fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Imperials don't really get good until they're flooding the board with cheap ships.

• Locked thread