Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

To be fair, putting Patton Oswalt in almost any situation will convince someone, somewhere, that he's probably a pedophile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
This is something a friend pointed out to me, but in The Big Lebowski, there is only one frame of bowling in the whole game that Donny doesn't get a strike on. After he sits down, the focus goes back to The Dude and Walter discussing things, but if you look at Donny, he's clearly disturbed, rubbing his hand and generally being worried.

What's one of the first signs of a heart attack? Numbness in the arms.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Babe Magnet posted:

To be fair... Patton Oswalt... he's probably a pedophile.
Better.

For content, The Big Lebowski:

We all know that The Dude tends to repeat phrases from other people, but there are small changes of expression to let you know that he understands what the "real" Lebowski is about and is quoting it sarcastically, while he's basically parroting what Maude says without having a clue as to what it means.

Xander77 has a new favorite as of 08:25 on Jan 26, 2013

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Hattie Masters posted:

This is something a friend pointed out to me, but in The Big Lebowski, there is only one frame of bowling in the whole game that Donny doesn't get a strike on. After he sits down, the focus goes back to The Dude and Walter discussing things, but if you look at Donny, he's clearly disturbed, rubbing his hand and generally being worried.

What's one of the first signs of a heart attack? Numbness in the arms.

drat that's subtle. That's one of my favorite movies and I've never noticed that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I feel like a moron for only noticing on my umpteenth repeat viewing of The Bourne Identity that Marie is using Jason's red bank bag as a flower-holder at the end of the film :doh:

She even pauses to give it a little happy look, indicating she still has warm feelings for Jason despite her fears about his past and her hesitation when he asked her earlier if they could be together when it was all over. I have no clue how I ever missed it, because now I've seen it it REALLY stands out.

Edit: And I suppose now that I think about it more, the bag represents a lot of things. Initially it's used to carry Bourne's "identity" in it, as he takes along his various passports and all his money but leaves behind his gun (representing an attempt to break ties with the violence of his old life but still make use of the good things it brought with it?). When he gives the bag to Marie with all his money inside, he's giving her all the benefits of his past without any of the negative connotations, he's basically giving her the best of himself. At the end of the film, the bag contains flowers, representing rebirth, peace, and the start of something new.

Or maybe a bag is just a bag!

Jerusalem has a new favorite as of 11:44 on Jan 26, 2013

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Blazing Saddles has something subtle about every five seconds and I hadn't noticed this one. During the big fight scene at the end that spills over into the film studio, two actors are in the lunchroom. One is dressed as Hitler.

Actor: So, how long do they have you, Joey?
Joey (Hitler): They lose me right after the bunker scene.

AceOfJacks13
Mar 27, 2010
I watched The Prestige today, and felt stupid noticing something I hadn't before. In the beginning, Michael Caine shows Christian Bale's daughter a magic trick involving a disappearing bird, and it's revealed shortly that the trick works with a collapsible cage that gets hidden inside the table, killing the bird in the process while the magician brings out a second, identical bird. This directly mirrors the secret to The Great Danton's final version of The Reappearing Man: his machine duplicates whatever is inside, leaving one Danton in the center and another a short distance away. He solves the problem via a trapdoor that drops the center Danton into a tank of water, drowning him.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

AceOfJacks13 posted:

I watched The Prestige today, and felt stupid noticing something I hadn't before. In the beginning, Michael Caine shows Christian Bale's daughter a magic trick involving a disappearing bird, and it's revealed shortly that the trick works with a collapsible cage that gets hidden inside the table, killing the bird in the process while the magician brings out a second, identical bird. This directly mirrors the secret to The Great Danton's final version of The Reappearing Man: his machine duplicates whatever is inside, leaving one Danton in the center and another a short distance away. He solves the problem via a trapdoor that drops the center Danton into a tank of water, drowning him.

I love the movie...but I'm not sure that is a subtle thing placed...I think you could be reading into that a bit. I mean I love a lot of the points in the film but I think the canary cage trick represented more if you look into the boy asking "where is his brother". But that's how I interpreted it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's a multi-million dollar film made by Christopher 'Dream Within A Dream" Nolan. Every single shot would be pored over in the writing phase, every scene would be storyboarded a dozen times. If there's something on screen, it's probably there for at least one reason.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?

AceOfJacks13 posted:

Danton also does a version of the trick where the bird lives which imo emphasises his being corrupted by his obsession with beating Bordin, going from a man who wouldn't kill a bird, to a man who'd kill himself over and over

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
Jesus, it's a key plot point and blatant foreshadowing. Not at all subtle. If you missed it the first time watching the movie then you weren't in the room.

ViolentQuiche
Jul 17, 2010
Yeah it's pretty blatant. Caine's narration in the beginning even talks about magic tricks in general; with the audience being shown the truth up front, and the whole trick being that the audience wants to be fooled.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

To be fair, put some pretty man like Gosling in that role and it's a LOT easier to buy that the town of locals would want a reasonably smart and good-looking young fella to succeed when his only major "defect" is that he's too socially awkward to connect with real women--put a Patton Oswald or a Danny McBride in that role and at least half of the same townspeople would be convinced he was a pedophile on general principle and begrudgingly give him a chance if any gave him one at all.

Thats true of all actors though. All roles are informed to some degree by the actors physicality.

With Gosling its his big, pretty eyes. Thats what makes you buy him as a lovable loser rather than just a loser, or effectively play a role like the Driver where he's just about on the borderline of being an autistic psychopath.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just saw Dredd for the first time. Karl Urban. :allears:

Comparatively minor compared to some of the moments in the thread, but the sheer weight of Dredd's movements added a huge amount to the sense of power and force behind him. It's especially notable in the slo-mo lab stand-off with the corrupt Judges. Every foot step is a great big thud, you can hear their armor stretching and the guns look and feel incredibly weighty. I love it when a film gets its sound direction so dead on.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I watched an old movie I haven't seen in a while, Albert Brooks' Defending Your Life. I love the little hints he throws in regarding how the people are already being judged before they even get to Judgement City. Notice how an average semi-neurotic guy, Daniel Miller, is to be judged on seven days from his life. Meanwhile Julia, who is outgoing, adopts children, and saves a cat from a burning house is only judged on four days from her life. Also, the guy from the sushi bar who owned the totally nude strip clubs has to look at 15 days.

Another not-so-obvious clue is the fact that Daniel's hotel is a typical budget style hotel. Julia's is a 4-star resort that has a jacuzzi in every room and serves caviar to their guests.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Blazing Saddles has something subtle about every five seconds and I hadn't noticed this one. During the big fight scene at the end that spills over into the film studio, two actors are in the lunchroom. One is dressed as Hitler.

Actor: So, how long do they have you, Joey?
Joey (Hitler): They lose me right after the bunker scene.

I'd have to watch it again to be totally sure, but if I'm remembering right, the actor playing the actor playing Hitler is Mel Brooks. He plays Hitler in a lot of his movies.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'd have to watch it again to be totally sure, but if I'm remembering right, the actor playing the actor playing Hitler is Mel Brooks. He plays Hitler in a lot of his movies.

Probably. He once stated that his life's goal was to reduce Hitler to a figure of such ridiculousness that no-one would ever take his ideas seriously again. Even if that means rapping

edit: checking imdb, it wasn't. But whatever enjoy the hitler rap.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Jan 28, 2013

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's not him. He plays Governor LePetomane and the Indian chief, he's in Heady Lamaar's lineup, and does a couple of voices during the Lily's stage show but that's it. I'm pretty sure he's never played Hitler in any of his movies.

chrmnbill
Feb 17, 2011

Ez posted:

It's not him. He plays Governor LePetomane and the Indian chief, he's in Heady Lamaar's lineup, and does a couple of voices during the Lily's stage show but that's it. I'm pretty sure he's never played Hitler in any of his movies.

And the Mel Brooks Indian chief speaks Yiddish.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

brick cow posted:

Jesus, it's a key plot point and blatant foreshadowing. Not at all subtle. If you missed it the first time watching the movie then you weren't in the room.

I would be more generous and say, if you missed it the second time. The first time, you can forget the little things. The second viewing becomes one long 'subtle moment' where everything has a clear double meaning. DID YOU NOTICE WHEN BALES WIFE SAYS SHE CAN TELL SOME DAYS HE DOESN'T REALLY LOVE HER, THOSE DAYS WAS THE OTHER BALE.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Supreme Allah posted:

I would be more generous and say, if you missed it the second time. The first time, you can forget the little things. The second viewing becomes one long 'subtle moment' where everything has a clear double meaning. DID YOU NOTICE WHEN BALES WIFE SAYS SHE CAN TELL SOME DAYS HE DOESN'T REALLY LOVE HER, THOSE DAYS WAS THE OTHER BALE.

I read on the internet once that the bit where the wife is irate and screams, "I know what you are", the line was accidentally ad-libbed. The actress proceeded to freak out a bit, as she felt she'd just given away the ending.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NGL posted:

I read on the internet once that the bit where the wife is irate and screams, "I know what you are", the line was accidentally ad-libbed. The actress proceeded to freak out a bit, as she felt she'd just given away the ending.

"Nolan, the director, then calmly explained to her that movies are not aired live."

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ez posted:

That's Hedley!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

All the Blazing Saddles talk reminded me of something really subtle. Here's the poster for the movie:

Now, if you like the film, you've probably seen it a hundred times and never given it any thought. Now, ignoring the boom mic coming in at the top of the image (a hint to the end of the movie), look at the headdress Mel Brooks is wearing. Looks kinda like Hebrew, right? It should translate to 'Kosher for Passover', but there's a deliberate spelling error in it: it actually reads 'Posher for Kassover'.

Allegedly, the movie also holds the distinction of being the first film ever to feature a fart gag. Now how's that for innovation!

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Allegedly, the movie also holds the distinction of being the first film ever to feature a fart gag. Now how's that for innovation!

Pretty sure this isn't true!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Leovinus posted:

Pretty sure this isn't true!
There's Fellini's Satyricon for a start.
Imdb has a listing of 'flatulence' films & TV shows by year and although there's a few entries before Blazing Saddles it's the first big Hollywood film to feature fart jokes. And boy, it sure makes up for lost time! :haw:

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Not sure about the film thing but fart jokes were indescribably popular well before this. In fact, Mel Brooks' character William J. Le Petomane is named after a famous French flatulist.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

It's just one of those things where it's credited as being the first to do something because it was popular and memorable enough for doing it to be significant. Like how Pong is said to be the first video game (it isn't) and how the Adam West Batman film is said to be the first Batman movie (it's not).

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ez posted:

It's just one of those things where it's credited as being the first to do something because it was popular and memorable enough for doing it to be significant. Like how Pong is said to be the first video game (it isn't) and how the Adam West Batman film is said to be the first Batman movie (it's not).

Well, it sorta is. The older ones were serials, they don't really fit the common definition for a movie.

King of the Cows
Jun 1, 2007
If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

All the Blazing Saddles talk reminded me of something really subtle. Here's the poster for the movie:

Now, if you like the film, you've probably seen it a hundred times and never given it any thought. Now, ignoring the boom mic coming in at the top of the image (a hint to the end of the movie), look at the headdress Mel Brooks is wearing. Looks kinda like Hebrew, right? It should translate to 'Kosher for Passover', but there's a deliberate spelling error in it: it actually reads 'Posher for Kassover'.

Hm. I don't remember Bart ever wearing sunglasses in the movie.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Leovinus posted:

Well, it sorta is. The older ones were serials, they don't really fit the common definition for a movie.

Kindof a grey area maybe. They were serialized films that played in movie theatres and told a full story. Maybe they're closer to short films.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I really adore the constantly-changing aspect ratio in Scott Pilgrim vs The World.

Plus, pretty much anything that Johnny Simmons does is hilarious ("...I have to pee," messing up the words to a song, popping a coin in his mouth after the final fight)

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

poptart_fairy posted:

Just saw Dredd for the first time. Karl Urban. :allears:

I posted this in the movie thread about it but it kinda got lost in the undertow. Kind of fits in this thread too.

"Color was a big deal in the movie, I didn't notice it until the lock-down of the building but from that point on you see a lot of hard to disregard moments with color.

The medical officer wears green because he doesn't help the judges and plays it safe. Anderson (yellow hair), Kay and the computer guy (yellow shirts) have yellow because the threat to them is medium because they're protected by Dredd, their powers, their importance, or their skills. Ma-Ma has green eyes as the only color she wears, due to her safety from her army of goons until the final confrontation where she's alone in a red room. Finally, Dredd only has red on his helmet since he is the one constantly pursuing danger and he feels he's his only protection.

If you don't buy into it yet how about the scene where Kay is about to execute Anderson and he dies instead, she's looking at green graffiti behind him because she's safe, he's looking at the red graffiti behind her because he's not.

There were plenty of other moments of it too that are more subtle but those are the main ones that really drove that point home to me. "

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Coffee And Pie posted:

I really adore the constantly-changing aspect ratio in Scott Pilgrim vs The World.

Plus, pretty much anything that Johnny Simmons does is hilarious ("...I have to pee," messing up the words to a song, popping a coin in his mouth after the final fight)

It's not a coin - it was Gideon's gum.

On the subject of Dredd, I love all the little background shout outs to the comic. There's lots of graffiti and background chatter mentioning characters or plot points from past story arcs. There's also a running gag in the comic where obesity is so common that fat people are given little unicycle contraptions to carry their bellies around on. Sure enough, when we see the dead fat guy during the opening, there's a wheel not too far from him. Lots of extra touches that let you know the people who worked on the movie cared about the source material.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
In the gorgeous Transit of Mercury scene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp7z8Gvexas) in Sunshine, Mercury in front of the sun has a resemblance to a giant, fiery, menacing eyeball floating in space. The final shot looks like a pupil-backdropped-by-iris turning to look in the direction of the Icarus II. The next scene is the discovery of the distress signal of Icarus I--Pinbacker's bait. The sun has already been haunting the crews' nightmares, and now the Icarus II is being watched and hunted, forming the unsettling tone of act two and ultimately changing the fate of the story.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Buzkashi posted:

Not sure about the film thing but fart jokes were indescribably popular well before this. In fact, Mel Brooks' character William J. Le Petomane is named after a famous French flatulist.

I had no idea that there were professional farters.

The show sounds amazing, too

quote:

Some of the highlights of his stage act involved sound effects of cannon fire and thunderstorms, as well as playing "'O Sole Mio" and "La Marseillaise" on an ocarina through a rubber tube in his anus.[2] He could also blow out a candle from several yards away.[1]

:allears:

I guess to see an act like that these days I have to go to Thailand, don't I?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Arrath posted:

Some of the highlights of his stage act involved sound effects of cannon fire and thunderstorms, as well as playing "'O Sole Mio" and "La Marseillaise" on an ocarina through a rubber tube in his anus.[2] He could also blow out a candle from several yards away.[1]

Was... was there actually a subtle moment in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIVttyxPxnE&t=12s

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Arrath posted:

I had no idea that there were professional farters.

The show sounds amazing, too

:allears:

I guess to see an act like that these days I have to go to Thailand, don't I?

Not quite, you could come to the UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpQQpIOCp_A

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
The song Danke Schoen is all over Ferris Bueller's Day Off, most notably and overtly in the parade scene and Ferris in the shower near the beginning, but characters are humming it left and right: Rooney hums it after ringing the Bueller house's doorbell while waiting for an answer, and Jeanie sings it when leaving the police station after meeting Charlie Sheen's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

The song Danke Schoen is all over Ferris Bueller's Day Off, most notably and overtly in the parade scene and Ferris in the shower near the beginning, but characters are humming it left and right: Rooney hums it after ringing the Bueller house's doorbell while waiting for an answer, and Jeanie sings it when leaving the police station after meeting Charlie Sheen's character.

Wait a sec...you don't have a dick for an eye.

I like how in Drive the only other driver who is good enough to almost out-drive the Driver isn't even shown. You only get to see his/her car, and the windows are tinted. It's almost as if nothing human would be capable of beating the already robotlike Driver.

poonchasta has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Feb 11, 2013