Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

gradenko_2000 posted:

What is Tropico 2 Pirate Cove like? I have Tropico Reloaded and I love the first, the second and the fourth, but this second one looked way too different so I haven't really given it a go. Is it any good?
I've never played it myself, by the vague impression I have gotten from the internet is that it is bad/not as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oops.

Also another Facebook raffle, this time with three copies of Planescape Torment up for grabs.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Kins posted:

Oops.

Also another Facebook raffle, this time with three copies of Planescape Torment up for grabs.

Is the joke that someone copied their content or that they pointed it out while misspelling imitation, making anyone question why someone would copy anything from them?

capitalCORN
Mar 27, 2005
Anyone have a fresh link to the Timidity++ soundfont files from the OP? the link does not exist anymore. :(

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

A news bit on a price drop of the game just made me realize GOG has Arma 2: CO. And why is that relevant? As most of you know, it's the base for the dumb popular DayZ mod, but some controvery last year revealed how easy the guys from DayZ could serial key ban your whole Arma 2 copy.

Which begs the question: is the GOG version of Arma 2: CO really DRM-free?

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

The Kins posted:

Oops.

To be fair, lots of people have been doing this, even I've been giving away games using rafflecopter to promote my youtube channel.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rexxed posted:

Is the joke that someone copied their content or that they pointed it out while misspelling imitation, making anyone question why someone would copy anything from them?
The joke is that GamersGate just copy-pasted the description GOG wrote.

Saoshyant posted:

A news bit on a price drop of the game just made me realize GOG has Arma 2: CO. And why is that relevant? As most of you know, it's the base for the dumb popular DayZ mod, but some controvery last year revealed how easy the guys from DayZ could serial key ban your whole Arma 2 copy.

Which begs the question: is the GOG version of Arma 2: CO really DRM-free?

The Game Page You're Posting About posted:

Multiplayer notice: In order to access multiplayer, you must enter your unique serial key that's located in My Account.
While questions could be asked about whether this counts as DRM or not, it's appeared on other GOG games like Neverwinter Nights in the past.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The Kins posted:

I've known several people who where incharge of item descriptions on website storefronts, and all of them literally just googled for the product and stole the description. I am willing to believe it's a common practice.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How involved is your keep in NWN2? Is it something you can get early on and do lots of stuff with or is it a late game reward that you visit occasionally?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New release is The Bards Tale 1, 2, 3 and The Funny Xbox One for ten gold pieces.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

V for Vegas posted:

How involved is your keep in NWN2? Is it something you can get early on and do lots of stuff with or is it a late game reward that you visit occasionally?

It's more mid-game and then you manage it via screen prompts and the like, managing patrols around the keep and the roads into it and all that good stuff.
Then you can also go and do little quests to find more vendors and resources for the keep itself.

It's nothing like Stronghold or anything, it's really all done through prompts but after a while you can see visual changes to the keep.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Ugh, really don't like it when the 360 pad's analogue stick is picked up as the directional keys instead of the D-pad. Going to have to dig out another controller in order to play the Tomb Raiders, or start screwing around in JoyToKey.

The Kins posted:

GG ask publishers to give them a blurb when they're submitting games, maybe in this case they were sent the Gog one. Or maybe there were given nothing at all and just looked for one that was on another store, figuring that it was the game's official product description. Regardless of what happened though I'd say it's on the publishers to come up with this promotional stuff and not the DD services themselves.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

I'm interested in the originals, but I don't know if I should. I've got a lot on my plate for that style of RPG. I've got M&M 6-8 (finished with 1 and 2 and actually completed 3-5) and the old Wizardry collection to go back through... not to mention Legend of Grimrock. How are the old Bard's Tale games?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

That's not a bad deal, and I wouldn't normally undercut GOG, but if you just want the original 3 games they're cheaper on iOS and play REALLY well on an iPad, and you can import characters from game to game now.

That being said, any time you buy Bard's Tale is a good time.

I wonder if it would be possible to get Wasteland on GOG?

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Peas and Rice posted:

I wonder if it would be possible to get Wasteland on GOG?
That might happen in a similar fashion to this Bard's Tale bundle once Wasteland 2 is out, since it's the same company right?

Perhaps this release is partly to test the waters - if they sell a butt load of Bards on GoG they'll probably bring Wasteland 2 to the site too, it'd certainly fit in well (please don't suck WL2, please don't suck)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hidden Asbestos posted:

That might happen in a similar fashion to this Bard's Tale bundle once Wasteland 2 is out, since it's the same company right?

EA should still have the rights to the original Wasteland.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Rinkles posted:

EA should still have the rights to the original Wasteland.

edit: I was under the impression that Brian Fargo had reclaimed the full rights to the original as well but clearly it's more complicated.

It seems like there's some kind of deal going on to release it as a bonus download with the sequel:

Brian Fargo posted:

We cannot release it prior to Wasteland 2. It is to be bundled as part of Wasteland 2. I'm still happy to be able to get it in there at all.
https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/222462748502654976

Which is great news. Although personally I'm not really sure it has held up to the passage of time as well as some of the other GoGs - but that's another matter.

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 29, 2013

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Hidden Asbestos posted:

I'm not really sure it has held up to the passage of time as well as some of the other GoGs - but that's another matter.

You just shut up of course it has. :mad:

Actually that's fantastic news and I'd missed that tweet. Glad they'll finally be able to re-release it.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

synertia posted:

I'm interested in the originals, but I don't know if I should. I've got a lot on my plate for that style of RPG. I've got M&M 6-8 (finished with 1 and 2 and actually completed 3-5) and the old Wizardry collection to go back through... not to mention Legend of Grimrock. How are the old Bard's Tale games?

I played the first one to death when I was young, I think I completed three times with three different parties. It's basically hard as gently caress early on. Your party will die over and over, forcing you to restart your saves (at the one and only place you can save/load) until you scrounge enough experience to level up. Then once you get some decent spellcasters, it's fairly easy. Then it gets boring since you come up against monsters in groups of 4 x [99] and you have to sit there and watch a line of dialogue for each one to attack, and then another line where you attack them and kill them. That's around 800 lines of dialogue to sit through. One other note is that when you get to the edge of a dungeon, it doesn't stop, it just repeats itself. This can make it very confusing since you can walk in one direction for 10 minutes and be back where you started. So, dig out that old grid paper and start mapping.

Man this has got me all nostalgic. I'm going to boot this up again. I wonder if I have some of those old maps I made around here.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

gradenko_2000 posted:

What is Tropico 2 Pirate Cove like? I have Tropico Reloaded and I love the first, the second and the fourth, but this second one looked way too different so I haven't really given it a go. Is it any good?
It's shallower than the other Tropico games. There is only one economic activity, pirate raids, and the game revolves around outfitting your ships and keeping your pirates happy. Because the focus is on this one dynamic, every island in Tropico 2 plays out the same way. You can't even specialize, every island will develop the same way because you need to set up the same supply chains every time. Also, for relying so much on sending your pirate ships out, you can only give those ships general orders and have no control over them once they leave port. The gameplay simply isn't all that interesting and is very repetitive.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

As someone pointed out in the gaming podcast thread, Three Moves Ahead has a pretty decent first half of a show talking about Total Annihilation with Chris Taylor:

http://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/classic-career-analysis-with-chris-taylor

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

V for Vegas posted:

I played the first one to death when I was young, I think I completed three times with three different parties. It's basically hard as gently caress early on. Your party will die over and over, forcing you to restart your saves (at the one and only place you can save/load) until you scrounge enough experience to level up.
Don't forget that you could only actually level up at one particular place in the city as well (the Review Board). I want to say that doing so cost gold to boot, but I don't remember for certain and Google isn't proving helpful when it comes to confirming or denying this.

Needless to say, I was beyond terrible at the game back then. Kids nowadays have it so easy. :v:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

MMAgCh posted:

Don't forget that you could only actually level up at one particular place in the city as well (the Review Board). I want to say that doing so cost gold to boot, but I don't remember for certain and Google isn't proving helpful when it comes to confirming or denying this.

Needless to say, I was beyond terrible at the game back then. Kids nowadays have it so easy. :v:

It doesn't cost gold to level up, but it does cost gold to buy your casters higher-level spells.

As others mentioned you will die a LOT in the beginning. You also spend a lot of time rolling for good stats, since it uses a 3d6 rule to generate your 3-18 stat blocks. If you don't want to gently caress with spending a half-hour rolling a new party each time you wipe, there's a lovely, cheatsy way to get some money early on: create several parties of throwaway characters, add them to your party with one good character you want to keep, pool their starting gold, then delete them.

If you can get through the catacombs, you'll generally be powerful enough to survive, but it's still a really hard game and one bad encounter can wipe even the best-equipped party.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MMAgCh posted:

Ha, yeah and it wasn't marked on the map either, you had to randomly find it in one of the identical houses around the city.

Two doors to the north from the Green Dragon Inn on the right hand side

Tom Nook
Nov 14, 2005

Always crashing in the same car

Anyone know if this is like the Steam release of the game where the 1,2, and 3rd game are launched from the remake? In the Steam release, the older games play way too quickly. Hopefully GOG fixed that issue if it's similar to the Steam version.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

V for Vegas posted:

It's basically hard as gently caress early on. Your party will die over and over, forcing you to restart your saves (at the one and only place you can save/load) until you scrounge enough experience to level up.

Sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the info.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

It doesn't cost gold to level up, but it does cost gold to buy your casters higher-level spells.

As others mentioned you will die a LOT in the beginning. You also spend a lot of time rolling for good stats, since it uses a 3d6 rule to generate your 3-18 stat blocks. If you don't want to gently caress with spending a half-hour rolling a new party each time you wipe, there's a lovely, cheatsy way to get some money early on: create several parties of throwaway characters, add them to your party with one good character you want to keep, pool their starting gold, then delete them.

If you can get through the catacombs, you'll generally be powerful enough to survive, but it's still a really hard game and one bad encounter can wipe even the best-equipped party.

Actually, good initial stats are really not that important in the long run are not that important; since you gain stats with every level your entire party will have all 18s by the end of the game regardless of what you started with. At best it makes the initial stages of the game slightly less difficult. Once you manage to survive long enough to get to level 3-5 or so, your stats become pretty much irrelevant.

ED: Good tip for the beginning as well--create a mule character that you dump all your gold to every time you visit the Adventurer's guild. If you quit the game without saving your characters (e.g. if they get wiped out) any characters that were in your active party immediately lose all their gold. By keeping all your gold on a dude who chills in the Adventurer's Guild the whole time you can savescum in relative safety, only losing the gold you made on your last foray if you die.

Also worth noting is that the first game is really the only one worth playing. I'm a giant masochist with nostalgia-tinted glasses so I like all three (I'm midway through BT3 right now again with a party I created in BT1 and brought through BT2) but mid-way through the second game the balance turns to complete poo poo to the point that I have to admit most people will hate it. You get masochistic dungeon puzzles to rival Wizardry 4 in their insanity, and enemy HP scales to the point that fighting a single battle becomes a massive slog. Like, 50+ enemies with 1000+ HP each. This in a game where a top-class fighter might do 300 damage to a single enemy per round, and everyone else 50 or so. By the time you reach the end of BT3 non-spellcasters are completely worthless and serve as nothing but meatshields to prevent enemies from hitting your magic users in the back ranks.

And of course there's the ultimate dickhead move in BT3 where they kill off the guy who grants you level-ups when you reach the last dungeon. (There's a way around this but it's convoluted and annoying)

I like the BT games but they really are the pinnacle of 80s bullshit dungeon crawlers. Most people who didn't grow up with them aren't going to like them, I think.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 30, 2013

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
...I wonder if Microsoft would ever deign to allow Age of Empires 1 or 2 on Gog?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bloodly posted:

...I wonder if Microsoft would ever deign to allow Age of Empires 1 or 2 on Gog?

I really hope they get someday AoE 1/2 because that would be an awesome present for my dad, he's been playing AoE 2 for over a decade already and despite that I did everything with my old retail CDs, I never got it work properly with win7, so he's stuck with a dual boot of 7/XP if he wants to play on his computer.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Guillermus posted:

I really hope they get someday AoE 1/2 because that would be an awesome present for my dad, he's been playing AoE 2 for over a decade already and despite that I did everything with my old retail CDs, I never got it work properly with win7, so he's stuck with a dual boot of 7/XP if he wants to play on his computer.

Here's a present for your dad.
http://www.forgottenempires.net/

I was able to get AOE2 running on Windows 7 with it, and it adds a ton of new content.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So I entered some GOG game giveaway on a whim, and now all of a sudden I get an email saying they're giving me a free game of my choosing worth up to $9.99?

Okay, that's not a ton of money or anything, but... awesome. I love GOG.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

$10 goes a long way on GOG.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

zrrgin posted:

I was able to get AOE2 running on Windows 7 with it, and it adds a ton of new content.

I've never heard of this, it looks interesting.

There is a way to run AOE2 on Windows 7 with no mods, though. You can make a .bat file with the following contents, then put that in the "age2_x1" folder and point the desktop shortcut to it:

code:
taskkill /F /IM Explorer.exe
age2_x1.exe nostartup
Start explorer.exe
It closes down Windows Explorer (the source of the problem) while the game is running, then restarts it once you exit.

Jabarto fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 31, 2013

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Balls of Steel is now on GOG for $5.99, The Settlers 2: 10th Anniversary for $9.99 and Omerta: City of Gangsters is $39.99.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Ooh, I actually played some of the original Settlers 2 this week and it's still some of the most addictive gameplay I've ever experienced. If I remember right, the anniversary version's basically the same game with updated graphics, right?

e: 10th Anniversary's missing playable vikings, bullshit version of the game. :colbert:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

North America never got Vikings period so we're used to it ... but anyway this is fantastic. It was so freaking hard to find legit versions of this game, and I was under the impression it was never getting a digital release. Seemed like a black sheep, yet it's possibly/arguably the very best Settlers game ever made.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Blodskur posted:

Balls of Steel is now on GOG for $5.99

Oh wow, a friend and I used to play the demo of this, and later on the full game, over and over way back then. We even played "multiplayer", that is, we'd control one flipper each.

A good pinball game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

zrrgin posted:

I recently installed this, and it automatically fixed my Win7 issues, added tons of new resolution options, AND adds tons of new factions. (As a Hungarian, I'm super happy to see the Magyars! :) Also who doesn't like new civilizations? )

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Zaphod42 posted:

So I entered some GOG game giveaway on a whim, and now all of a sudden I get an email saying they're giving me a free game of my choosing worth up to $9.99?

Hey, if it doesn't mean much to you then I'd be more than happy to take it. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I think I'm gonna start playing Blood (the first one). I've heard it's very difficult, so any special advice besides "play on easy"? Also, any program I should use like GZDoom?

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 31, 2013