Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wattershed posted:

ATTN: Going to Alpine at some point over the next three days. Posted a FT/ISO in the trading thread.
Quote from Pat:

"It is with a heavy heart I am here to tell you of a delay in the release date of “Exponential Hoppiness.” The release must be pushed back because the cold weather slowed down the activity of the yeast. So, keeping with our mantra of “no beer will be released before it’s time,” we foresee a release sometime in the week of February 12th through the 15th. An exact date and time will not be announced due to the issues of parking, traffic congestion, angry next-door business owners and overcrowding. Please remember there will not be any growlers sold and there will be a 4 bottle limit per person per day, no exceptions. Sorry, it will not be around during Super Bowl Festivities."

I kinda figured professional breweries had temperature control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Cointelprofessional posted:

Surly Pentagram should be coming out in February

Holy poo poo, I had no idea that Five was being brought back. I had it on tap a few months ago and it was amazing.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea that Five was being brought back. I had it on tap a few months ago and it was amazing.

Really? Kind of thought it was just okay. Liked Syx way more.

lodie
Feb 8, 2004

lifts cats over head posted:

Welcome to the commonwealth. Which UPMC location? There's about a dozen in the area. My favorite bottle shop is D's Six packs and Dogs in Regent Square. It's not too far where I'm guessing you'll be. They have a great selection and encourages mix and match. If you're looking for a place to grab a bite to eat at a brewpub I would recommend the Church Brew Works in Lawrenceville or Penn Brewery on the North Side.

Thanks a lot for this. I posted right before leaving for the airport and didn't have my laptop with me. Ended up taking some Founders Breakfast Stout home.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So, I do not drink many dark beers. But because of the recent craze for the Westvleteren 12 I decided to venture out and drink some darker beers. I picked up a few bottles of Black Butte Porter, The Abyss, St. Bernardus Abt 12, St. Bernardus Abt 8, Three Philosophers and Young's Double Chocolate Stout. I like them all very much aside from the Three Philosophers (it's good but not as good compared to the rest). What else should I venture off into?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

obi_ant posted:

So, I do not drink many dark beers. But because of the recent craze for the Westvleteren 12 I decided to venture out and drink some darker beers. I picked up a few bottles of Black Butte Porter, The Abyss, St. Bernardus Abt 12, St. Bernardus Abt 8, Three Philosophers and Young's Double Chocolate Stout. I like them all very much aside from the Three Philosophers (it's good but not as good compared to the rest). What else should I venture off into?

Find your local breweries and get familiar with what you like from them. There's so much craft beer out there that I think its pretty much always the best place to start.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

danbanana posted:

Really? Kind of thought it was just okay. Liked Syx way more.

I thought Syx was overly boozy. For adjuncts and malts it was an everything but the kitchen sink recipe. Five on the other hand was something you could write a play about. Tart, sour, wine notes along with oak.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

obi_ant posted:

Left Hand Milk Stout, Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, and Weyerbacher Quad are all good choices if you can find them in your area.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Last night I had a Flying Dog Imperial Porter. I've also recently had Atwater's Vanilla Java Porter which I greatly enjoy.

Seconding the local brewery suggestion.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cointelprofessional posted:

I thought Syx was overly boozy. For adjuncts and malts it was an everything but the kitchen sink recipe. Five on the other hand was something you could write a play about. Tart, sour, wine notes along with oak.

I thought it had a very, very heavy wood back end but didn't think it was overly boozy.

I will confess that I had both in the middle of pretty great bottle shares. So that might have hid the booze in Syx and made Five less-than-spectacular to me. But all involved were pretty disappointed in Five, if I remember.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I uncorked my cute little bottle of Consecration tonight. This in an intensely sour beer. I need more of this stuff.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

obi_ant posted:

without knowing where you are, can't give you much in the way of specific recommendations, but it looks like you went to a decent shop, so don't be afraid to tell a clerk that you just had X and Y beers and would like something similar. looks like you got a couple stouts, a porter, a dubbel and a quad, so load up a mixed-six or two with those styles and go from there.

bottles of Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro finally showed up in VA. didn't pour with much of a head and didn't match the creaminess of a nitro widget can, but it was certainly a different experience than a regular bottle of beer. cool, but... whatever.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

funkybottoms posted:

bottles of Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro finally showed up in VA. didn't pour with much of a head and didn't match the creaminess of a nitro widget can, but it was certainly a different experience than a regular bottle of beer. cool, but... whatever.

Did you pour it hard? You're supposed to hold it completely upside down and let it smash the bottom of the glass. I've never had anything less than an inch thick head this way. Nitro has become a staple in my house and for $9.49 a 6 pack I try to always keep it in stock.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 30, 2013

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

bartolimu posted:

I find Green Flash's stuff kind of meh. Yeah they can wave their hop dick around, but there's no balance and the flavor profile of the hops is frequently a bit of a mess. Double Stout is a good enough stout, but compared to Big Bear Black it doesn't stand up.

Bear Republic does some fantastic stuff. Racer 5 is a solid IPA and the aforementioned Big Bear Black is the best stout for its price point at $5/bomber here.

I must say, I am shocked that anyone likes a Bear Republic beer over a Green Flash beer of the same style. I personally think that Green Flash kicks rear end and make a fantastic beer in almost every Americanized style, maybe freshness is a concern. Bear Republic's beers taste sticky sweet to me. I went to that brewery the same day I went to Russian River, which might have accentuated that fact.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Does anyone know when Plead the 5th gets released? Dark Horse's website says February, but I think I'll be going to that brewery in 3 weeks and I'm hoping its out by then.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

funkybottoms posted:

Midorka is right. Have zero mercy for the pour. Use a big glass, dump it in. Let it glug upside down, or pour it a foot above the glass.

Widgets are just a piece of hollow plastic with tiny hole(s) in it that depressurize when the can is opened and blast beer out of the tiny hole, but aggressive pouring does the same thing.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 30, 2013

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Glottis posted:

I must say, I am shocked that anyone likes a Bear Republic beer over a Green Flash beer of the same style. I personally think that Green Flash kicks rear end and make a fantastic beer in almost every Americanized style, maybe freshness is a concern. Bear Republic's beers taste sticky sweet to me. I went to that brewery the same day I went to Russian River, which might have accentuated that fact.
I've had Green Flash at the brewery as well as at several San Diego beer events, Bear Republic only from bottles. My preference might be a bit of rose-colored glasses on my part given Bear Republic was one of the first breweries I got to meet the owner and talk to him a lot while tasting his stuff. Green Flash isn't bad by any stretch, but I put their beers in the same category as Karl Strauss's: in any other town they'd be standout awesome, in San Diego there are a dozen other breweries I'd rather be drinking.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bartolimu posted:

I've had Green Flash at the brewery as well as at several San Diego beer events, Bear Republic only from bottles. My preference might be a bit of rose-colored glasses on my part given Bear Republic was one of the first breweries I got to meet the owner and talk to him a lot while tasting his stuff. Green Flash isn't bad by any stretch, but I put their beers in the same category as Karl Strauss's: in any other town they'd be standout awesome, in San Diego there are a dozen other breweries I'd rather be drinking.

Green Flash is literally a mile from my house and I think they're quite overrated. They're famous for their IPAs, but I think they are very one note and they even changed the recipe on Hop Head Red to be just about as one note. They make Belgian style beers too, but I don't think they're particularly good, even Rayon Vert. Ironically, I think my favorite beer they make is their Pilsner.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

bartolimu posted:

Oddly enough, this is part of why I like Green Flash. I met their head brewer here in Portland and he was a totally likable guy.

I mentioned it mostly because if you're getting a west coast IPA sent to the east, it's definitely one to try just because it is so hopped. It's an extreme example of the west coast IPA. I happened to like their Trippel the best, and hated their barleywine because it had the same one note as the rest of their beers, which doesn't work for a barleywine.

Cascade is releasing Vlad the Imp Aler 2011 this Saturday in bottles. I've had it on draft and it's fantastic. Downside? $30 a bottle. Jesus. That's a 750, but still nuts.

What's the upper limit all the rest of you beer nerds will drop on a bottle of beer? Now that I've had Westy for ~$15 a bottle, it's hard to justify more than that. My cousin got me a bottle of the Toronado 25th anniversary beer for $40 and I basically cried.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Cascade is releasing Vlad the Imp Aler 2011 this Saturday in bottles. I've had it on draft and it's fantastic. Downside? $30 a bottle. Jesus. That's a 750, but still nuts.

What's the upper limit all the rest of you beer nerds will drop on a bottle of beer? Now that I've had Westy for ~$15 a bottle, it's hard to justify more than that. My cousin got me a bottle of the Toronado 25th anniversary beer for $40 and I basically cried.

I thought the Noyaux price was nuts, but $30 Vlad is :catstare:

I wouldn't say that I have an absolute upper limit on what I'm willing to spend. Upright Fantasia, Logsdon Peche 'n Brett, and Cascade Sang Noir are all around $20/750mL and that's cheap IMO given how good they are. I'll probably grab a few of the Vlad even at $30. On the other hand, I'm not likely to throw much money at yet another fuckoff-huge 12%+ ABV beer that tastes like nothing but the inside of a bourbon barrel.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Winking Lizard is having a Barrel Aged Beer Fest, and I'm really, really tempted to buy a ticket. I think I probably will, given how awesome the sampling list is.

Winking Lizard posted:

Here's what available to sample-
Cantillon Geuze
GLBC Bourbon Barrel Blackout Stout
2010 Abbeye de St. Bon Chein
2010 Bourbon Barrel Double Bastard
Heavy Seas Below Decks Cabernet Barrel Aged
Great Divide Barrel Aged Yeti
JW Lees Calvados Barrel Aged
Revolution Very Mad Cow
Samuel Smith Stingo
La Trappe Oak Aged Quadruple No. 7
Bells Barrel Aged Cherry Stout
Green Flash Super Freak
...and more to come! Keep checking back.

I've never tried anything from Cantillon, and sours have really been growing on me, so that is what I'm looking most forward to trying. I will definitely have a hard time choosing what 12 beers to drink... can't wait to see what else they add to the list.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 30, 2013

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

bartolimu posted:

This is how I feel. I'd drink them if it's on tap or offered, but man, Racer X is such a good beer. Both Green Flash and Bear Republic do have the incentive that bombers are typically around the $4.50 range.

Side note, I'm a bit confused on how Kern River is able to brew Citra but Alpine keeps pushing Expo back. Then again, it seems like a happy medium as Kern River, Russian River and Alpine will be a steady stream of good hoppy beers.

As for price range - I feel like breweries like Firestone releasing great barrel aged beers like Parabola for around $15 is perfect. And yet I still picked up two 50/50 colors.

Edit: Oh yeah, here's a nice article about Firestone Walker's new barrel aging/sour program tasting room. http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2013/01/jeffers_richardson_firestone_walker.php

Jack Skeleton fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 30, 2013

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

I wouldn't say that I have an absolute upper limit on what I'm willing to spend. Upright Fantasia, Logsdon Peche 'n Brett, and Cascade Sang Noir are all around $20/750mL and that's cheap IMO given how good they are. I'll probably grab a few of the Vlad even at $30. On the other hand, I'm not likely to throw much money at yet another fuckoff-huge 12%+ ABV beer that tastes like nothing but the inside of a bourbon barrel.

said it before, but i would gladly go broke drinking Sang Noir and would buy something like Vlad from a brewery i like and trust (coughhintcough). so, yeah, that's my rule of thumb- brewery i like and a style i enjoy? yes, worth taking a punt. ten dollars extra for a barrel-aged version of a beer i didn't love or a from a hit-and-miss brewery? not so much.

Hypnolobster posted:

Midorka is right. Have zero mercy for the pour. Use a big glass, dump it in. Let it glug upside down, or pour it a foot above the glass.

i gave it a hard pour by normal standards; next time i will throw the beer at the glass.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

I mentioned it mostly because if you're getting a west coast IPA sent to the east, it's definitely one to try just because it is so hopped. It's an extreme example of the west coast IPA.

Are you talking about GF's West Coast IPA? I wouldn't call that extreme...

My general opinion of Bear and Green Flash: glance at and keep going. Neither have anything that lifts my skirt, though I'd agree with crazyfish that Rayon Vert is a solid, inexpensive, readily available brett beer. It is definitely an easy go-to when you want that.

Double Daisy Cutter is fantastic again this year. Up there as one of the great Midwest DIPAs along with Hopslam, Abrasive, and Double Crooked Tree.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

As mentioned before, I used to think that the FSW range of Parabola/ §ucaba was the best range for a high end bottle but given my recent purchases of Alesmith Kopi Luwak, BA Old Numbskull and Logsdon Peche 'n Brett, I've definitely been blowing past that limit. Speaking of the Logsdon, I've been tracking their distribution in the LA area and may be getting three or four more; I'm very open to trades.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I know chances are slim and we have a trading thread but do we have any Alaskan beer goon nerds? I'd love to get my hands on some Midnight Sun 3000.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Jack Skeleton posted:

This is how I feel. I'd drink them if it's on tap or offered, but man, Racer X is such a good beer. Both Green Flash and Bear Republic do have the incentive that bombers are typically around the $4.50 range.

Side note, I'm a bit confused on how Kern River is able to brew Citra but Alpine keeps pushing Expo back. Then again, it seems like a happy medium as Kern River, Russian River and Alpine will be a steady stream of good hoppy beers.

As for price range - I feel like breweries like Firestone releasing great barrel aged beers like Parabola for around $15 is perfect. And yet I still picked up two 50/50 colors.

Edit: Oh yeah, here's a nice article about Firestone Walker's new barrel aging/sour program tasting room. http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2013/01/jeffers_richardson_firestone_walker.php

Because Alpine is practically a moonshining operation and they're subject to the whims of mother nature, i.e. they apparently don't have temperature control inside their building. I'm not entirely sure how that makes sense for a professional operation, but you got me.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I think the most I've spent on a bottle was probably $44 for a Fou Foune, but it didn't hurt that bad because 100% of the cash went to charity.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Jack Skeleton posted:

I am freaking excited to try this out when I go there next. A few of these beers snuck their way into the regular tasting room last time I was there and they were good.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

A friend of mine is going to be in the Paso Robles, CA area in May for a wedding, and he's more than happy to be a beer mule for me. I'm interested in him picking up some RR sours and maybe some FW Parabola or Velvet Merlin. Can somebody recommend a bottle shop in the area where he'd have success finding these?

eta: He'll also be in the LA/OC area for a few days too, if that helps.
e2: poo poo, FW is in Paso Robles. This is too easy! Now, about those Russian Rivers....

Captain Shortbus fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 30, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Captain Shortbus posted:

A friend of mine is going to be in the Paso Robles, CA area in May for a wedding, and he's more than happy to be a beer mule for me. I'm interested in him picking up some RR sours and maybe some FW Parabola or Velvet Merlin. Can somebody recommend a bottle shop in the area where he'd have success finding these?

e2: poo poo, FW is in Paso Robles. This is too easy! Now, about those Russian Rivers....

Velvet Merlin is available in supermarkets, but I would think its out of season by May. Parabola is hard to find for more than a week or so after when it comes out, but its releasing in May so you might be in luck, especially near Paso Robles where FW is.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Captain Shortbus posted:

Russian River Sours are very hit and miss in the LA/OC area; the only place I know that will definitely have one of Consecration, Supplication or Temptation is Verdugo Bar but they mark up the bottles they sell by a huge margin. Your best bet would be to set up a physical trade with someone in the LA/OC area beforehand so that person can go around and look for the various bottle shops that have one or more of the Sours. I've honestly had more luck finding PtE rather than the Sours when randomly looking.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Thanks for the feedback! I've got some family in OC and a couple friends from SD up to SLO, so I'll put some feelers out about looking for this stuff.

So, other than RR, who makes great CA sours that are reasonably priced and obtainable?

Captain Shortbus fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 30, 2013

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Captain Shortbus posted:

great CA sours that are reasonably priced and obtainable

RR is the best one that fits the same price category. Lost Abbey and The Bruery are other great CA breweries that make excellent sours, though they are more expensive. However, The Bruery only does everything in 750ml, so at $15-18 you get a better value than a lot of Lost Abbey 375mls that are like $12. However, sours by both of these brewers are hard to find outside of their brewery.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Oddly enough, this is part of why I like Green Flash. I met their head brewer here in Portland and he was a totally likable guy.
I met Mike and Lisa both at an Aces event, and yeah, they're both extremely personable and know a lot about their chosen craft. There are a ton of really nice people in the brewing world, and some of them produce stuff I like better. So does Tomme Arthur, but that's another story.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Jack Skeleton posted:

I don't know if you've been over BA but there's a bad trader thread for you:

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/bad-trader-alert-jackskeleton-again.62558/

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Went to the local Wegman's today to see if they had Hopslam because I heard from Shangy's that it was showing up at other local markets today, came up empty. Sat down to have lunch, and right as we were getting the check what rolls by but today's beer to be stocked including 3 cases (their entire allotment) of Hopslam. Snagged a case ($$) and watched the other 2 disappear over the course of the next 5 minutes. Looking forward to work ending so I can get to it!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Astronaut Jones posted:

Went to the local Wegman's today to see if they had Hopslam because I heard from Shangy's that it was showing up at other local markets today, came up empty. Sat down to have lunch, and right as we were getting the check what rolls by but today's beer to be stocked including 3 cases (their entire allotment) of Hopslam. Snagged a case ($$) and watched the other 2 disappear over the course of the next 5 minutes. Looking forward to work ending so I can get to it!

they only got three and they let one person buy an entire case? huh.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Astronaut Jones posted:

Please don't tell me you went to the State College Wegmans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

funkybottoms posted:

they only got three and they let one person buy an entire case? huh.

It's a grocery store, not a beer distributor/liquor store they dgaf. ~~Beer goes in, beer comes out, that's what PA liquor control board laws are all about.~~

(And no RiggenBlaque, Collegeville). Be prepared for sticker shock, it ain't cheap!