Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignoranceisbliss88
Jun 9, 2012

by Pipski

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

All but the top quintile of MBA programs in the United States will bend over backwards for you because of this sentence. And most of the top quintile will at least clear a few roadblocks from your path.

e: To make myself clearer: Go find some MBA rankings, put your finger on the No. 10 school, and realize that pretty much every one of the schools below that (and a few above) would be happy to have you as a student.

I'm in a rather similar situation. I enlisted directly out of High School into the Marine Corps and served 4 years as an infantryman with two deployments to Iraq. I'm currently about a year away from graduating with a double Finance and History degree. I'm sitting at around a 3.55 GPA from a top 50 school and hope to graduate in the 3.6 range.

I've been extremely active in our schools well-known Student Veterans organization, serving as Vice President and President. I'm also getting involved with a new veterans intitiatve that's directed by our State's governor. Finally, I was recently appointed as one of 6 student veterans to serve on the advisory board for the largest national student veterans organization. This group routinely testifies in Congress and is sponsored by several F500 companies including Google, JP Morgan etc. In this new position I'll be traveling to D.C. several times a year and providing input.

When I graduate next year I'll be 26. In addition to my four years of Marine Corps experience (much of it spent as an NCO in leadership positions) I'll have done two full-time co-ops with financial firms. I'm hoping to get my last one at Wellington, Putnam, or Fidelity. I'm at a crossroad right now. The pedigree of my school will likely prevent me from getting a front office banking or consulting position....it's not unheard of but is extremely difficult. I've been toying with the idea of trying to leverage my rather unique military experience to get into a top15 MBA program. I obviously don't have the classic Ivy+4 years consulting/ibanking that most applicants have. Do you think if I sell my miitary/veterans leadership experience correctly and manage a 700+ GMAT I can be competitive without several years of full-time corporate/banking/consulting experience?

My initial plan was to try and land a solid finance gig and then try for the MBA. As I mentioned earlier, this may be difficult without the pedigree often demanded of these positions. People always mention that MBAs can be used as an important pivot point in one's career, and I'd like to take a shot at doing this now if it makes sense.

The Officer/Enlisted dynamic is also an interesting one. I recently went to a Vets outreach meeting sponsored by Microsoft. Of the 15 veterans there, every single one of them except me, was a former Officer, and every single one of them was getting an MBA at Harvard or MIT. It made me feel that I was a bit out of my element, though the Two-Star General turned Microsoft VP hosting the event seemed enthused that a lowly former ground pounder was interested.

Sorry for the long rant, but I'm in a bit of a unique position. Any insight you can offer would be much appreciated. Also, any input you do provide will go towards helping a lot of other vets in similar situations.

Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

Ignoranceisbliss88 posted:

I'm in a rather similar situation. I enlisted directly out of High School into the Marine Corps and served 4 years as an infantryman with two deployments to Iraq. I'm currently about a year away from graduating with a double Finance and History degree. I'm sitting at around a 3.55 GPA from a top 50 school and hope to graduate in the 3.6 range.

I reckon you should do the MBA, I know most businesses love ex-military personell.

And to have someone with (real) "frontline" experience leading others through stressful situations sucessfully (if nothing else you survived) is a big confidence boost in a manager.

Just dont be one of those "blood and mud" people when you get into management, your bosses love it but your directs will hate it.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Hi. I have BS and MS degrees in my field of focus (I'm a consulting scientist). I have 12 years of experience in industry and have been with the current company for 6 years (100 person company, 5 offices, not a SB). January 2012 I was asked to transfer and manage a new acquisition. That’s been a welcome challenge.

I don't want a career change. My office and the company as a whole are doing well. I'm paid decently for our niche industry. The rest of "corporate" management has the same gaps I do: we're all technical people who've become expensive to bill out on everyday projects and moved into management roles and specialty projects. No one has any formal management training. The way we actually manage day-to-day operations seems to be made up on the spot. It works, and the company has done well for 40 years operating this way, but you can't help but wonder how well we'd be doing with some efficient changes.

Half of our "old guard" is talking about retirement, and I see an opportunity to help influence some change. Wife suggested taking some PT business classes just to help me transition from technical to management. I'll do this at a minimum next year. I'm wondering if I bit a bigger bullet (EMBA) if that'd help the company out more in the long run. I realize by working full-time and going to class part-time I am limiting myself as to what programs I have available.

Thoughts? Good reason to go back to school? Bad? Too soon and I should let things shake loose a little while longer?

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Well, it will definitely effect which schools you shoot for. Will your company provide tuition reimbursement? Are there schools that offer night time/saturday MBA programs in your area? Are your finances really ready to take on potentially 50k+ in loans?

Do you have children, or other time commitments that would adversely effect your school schedule? There are a lot of programs specifically set up for students who work full time, but you might not see the end of the tunnel for 3-4 years.

Damon
Oct 11, 2012

rebounded posted:

Hi. I have BS and MS degrees in my field of focus (I'm a consulting scientist). I have 12 years of experience in industry and have been with the current company for 6 years (100 person company, 5 offices, not a SB). January 2012 I was asked to transfer and manage a new acquisition. That’s been a welcome challenge.

I don't want a career change. My office and the company as a whole are doing well. I'm paid decently for our niche industry. The rest of "corporate" management has the same gaps I do: we're all technical people who've become expensive to bill out on everyday projects and moved into management roles and specialty projects. No one has any formal management training. The way we actually manage day-to-day operations seems to be made up on the spot. It works, and the company has done well for 40 years operating this way, but you can't help but wonder how well we'd be doing with some efficient changes.

Half of our "old guard" is talking about retirement, and I see an opportunity to help influence some change. Wife suggested taking some PT business classes just to help me transition from technical to management. I'll do this at a minimum next year. I'm wondering if I bit a bigger bullet (EMBA) if that'd help the company out more in the long run. I realize by working full-time and going to class part-time I am limiting myself as to what programs I have available.

Thoughts? Good reason to go back to school? Bad? Too soon and I should let things shake loose a little while longer?

You got it my friend. IMHO you got the perfect reason and scenario to get out the most out of an MBA program: a solid technical background, a steady job with management challenges and opportunities, and with people retiring, and with the desire to seize the opportunities and change the course of your business. With your experience, you will relate to most of what will be discussed in class and retain so much more than a recent graduate. You know that MBA program were originaly conceived for that: scientist (engineers...)with no business background that were looking for business knowledge.

I encourage to look for a part time program that you could do at your pace. Because MBAs are geared toward working professionals, lots of schools offer excellent part time program.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?
It's MBA recruiting season where I work--may be a misnomer because evidently its a year-long dating/socialization process, complete with all sorts of 'activities' (cockttails, golf outings, etc). The whole thing seems absurdly unnecessary--to get my job I had a phone interview and an in-person final round, I met 98% of my coworkers on the first day.

Evidently the hiring process takes a full year from start to finish. What gives? Apart from slightly increased contact with clients / our brass, there isn't much separating MBAs from BAs, especially in the first couple of years.

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008

tolerabletariff posted:

It's MBA recruiting season where I work--may be a misnomer because evidently its a year-long dating/socialization process, complete with all sorts of 'activities' (cockttails, golf outings, etc). The whole thing seems absurdly unnecessary--to get my job I had a phone interview and an in-person final round, I met 98% of my coworkers on the first day.

Evidently the hiring process takes a full year from start to finish. What gives? Apart from slightly increased contact with clients / our brass, there isn't much separating MBAs from BAs, especially in the first couple of years.

There may not be much of a pure expertise difference between BAs and MBAs especially if the MBAs are career switchers but top MBAs are sure as hell infinitely more polished than top BAs and are expected to be so. BAs are expected to nervously make their way through a first round and a final round in a cheap suit. MBAs are expected to suavely navigate cocktail sessions, golf outings, many rounds of interviews, office visits, etc because MBAs are expected to eventually handle client relationships while BAs are expected to be pure intellectual work horses.

Parrotman
Jan 18, 2010
So i'm into 2 US MBA programs (from the UK) and i've made my decision, woo! I'll be working up to a month before my MBA, however I was wondering what kind of prep/reading should I be doing besides what the university has already set. Any advice from current students?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I've got a couple questions about whether an MBA would be worthwhile for me. I'm a structural engineer (with a BS and a PhD) currently working for a small industrial engineering firm with two principals, me as a staff engineer, and five staff technicians.

One of the principals is planning on retiring by 2015, and I'm likely to take his place. He has an MBA and the other engineer doesn't, so I'm wondering if it'd be worthwhile for me to start working on an MBA some time in the next few years if there'd be some tangible benefit to it. I'm not planning on ever making a career change to anything besides academia, so that's not a factor.

Also, I'm curious if having a PhD would be a benefit or a liability on the admissions application, and if any of that coursework (I took some engineering/construction management classes in grad school) would apply towards the MBA.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

The Chairman posted:

Also, I'm curious if having a PhD would be a benefit or a liability on the admissions application, and if any of that coursework (I took some engineering/construction management classes in grad school) would apply towards the MBA.
I believe at my school (UCLA), the GMAT was not required if you had a PhD.

Jer
May 23, 2003

nba balla/entrapenour
Never mind, I'm being retarded :)

Jer fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 11, 2013

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

darklink28 posted:

Got into Emory, which was second on my list so really pumped! I still am considering Georgetown as well as I think the differences between quality of program is very minor. The main difference is Emory has a really good career office while Georgetown's is supposed to be pretty sub-par. So I'm leaning towards Emory.

Congrats man! I'm a law guy at Emory, but just wanted to back you up and say that I've heard great things about the CSO from my JD/MBA friends. They bitch endlessly about the law school's CSO, but seem very enamored with the b-school's.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

I have a business undergrad and have worked in software development since I graduated in May of 2008. I've got a small itch to go back to graduate school for something, and have been leaning closest to an MBA. I live in Pittsburgh, which has many options. I've been considering doing this, mainly because my employer offers a $5000 reimbursement per year for any kind of education.

The part I'm having trouble with is figuring out if it would help me get to where I want to be. I'm hoping to get out of software development and more upstream in the business analysis or marketing paths.

Is there anybody out there with similar experiences that can offer advice?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

ZentraediElite posted:

I have a business undergrad and have worked in software development since I graduated in May of 2008. I've got a small itch to go back to graduate school for something, and have been leaning closest to an MBA. I live in Pittsburgh, which has many options. I've been considering doing this, mainly because my employer offers a $5000 reimbursement per year for any kind of education.

The part I'm having trouble with is figuring out if it would help me get to where I want to be. I'm hoping to get out of software development and more upstream in the business analysis or marketing paths.

Is there anybody out there with similar experiences that can offer advice?

no, but you sound a lot like me. I actually enjoyed school and would like to take advantage of my companies tuition assistance but can't really find a hardcore reason to go for the MBA other than "seems interesting".

darklink28
Nov 16, 2008

Omerta posted:

Congrats man! I'm a law guy at Emory, but just wanted to back you up and say that I've heard great things about the CSO from my JD/MBA friends. They bitch endlessly about the law school's CSO, but seem very enamored with the b-school's.

Thanks man, I decided to go ahead with it and I'll be there in the fall!

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I just discovered this thread. I've been contemplating pursuing an MBA for a while now, and have a few questions:

1. Any Americans here pursue an MBA at a European or Australian program? Are they as prestigious or good? I assume that they're just as exorbitant tuition-wise as their american counter parts.

2. How rigorous is the typical MBA program? Is it a "hard" discipline? Does GPA or how well you place at the end of the program have any impact with securing a job?

3. Anyone here pursue an HRM (HR Management) degree? Is it a better investment to forgo an MBA and pursue a HRM if you want to work in HR for top companies?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I'm at kind of a crossroads. I got fired from my first post-Master of Library Science library job, and rather than go back to long-term unemployment in the US, settled into a dead end teaching English in China. Now I'm starting to feel desperation. I'm not getting any younger. I can start looking in earnest (rather than halfheartedly) for another library job, most likely back in the states...entirely unsure how my last job will affect my chances. (I have very good recommendations from the previous place, and some good references at the place I was fired from...opinions were not unanimous on me.) Or I can go back to school.

I had a business minor as an undergrad, something with which I did nothing. I used to work in a business school computer lab, and I liked most of the professors, I enjoyed all my business classes, and I got along well with the MBA students.

I have a weird goddamn resume. The word "interesting" is invariably used by interviewers. I have no official management experience apart from 7 months at that library. I was (enlisted) in the military for 4 years after I got my bachelor's (in Japanese). I have a degree in Korean from the military. I speak Japanese, Korean, and now a little Chinese. I have no real private-sector work experience apart from my ESL experience (but hey, I did get to harangue our VP of HR for an hour about how he'd forgotten or ignored everything he should have learned about HR from HIS MBA).

I'm in a relationship with a girl whose schooling will keep her tethered to China for at least another year, maybe two. So while I'm anxious to get my career back on track (and positions for which I'm qualified do show up from time to time), I'm in no hurry to leave China.

Say I wanted to stay in China or not from it, long term. Would an MBA program at a Mainland Chinese university be likely to do anything for me, career-wise? Alternately, do any of you happen to know if an MBA is worth a drat in libraries? Or would I be better off going for a teaching certificate or MEd? (Hey, the only way school librarians have it as bad as regular teachers is in terms of budgets.)

If it matters, I've got 18 months of GI bill left.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
go to HK and get a degree from HKUST HKU CUHK

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Don't get a degree in the mainland. Do come to HKU or HKUST.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Would that be worthwhile for a dude in his 30s with a trainwreck work history?

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

Radio Talmudist posted:

I just discovered this thread. I've been contemplating pursuing an MBA for a while now, and have a few questions:

1. Any Americans here pursue an MBA at a European or Australian program? Are they as prestigious or good? I assume that they're just as exorbitant tuition-wise as their american counter parts.

2. How rigorous is the typical MBA program? Is it a "hard" discipline? Does GPA or how well you place at the end of the program have any impact with securing a job?

3. Anyone here pursue an HRM (HR Management) degree? Is it a better investment to forgo an MBA and pursue a HRM if you want to work in HR for top companies?

Hey, Australian here and I will answer in order.

1. Well Melbourne Uni MBA is ranked #1 in Asia Pacific http://www.mbs.unimelb.edu.au/go/news/the-economist-ranks-mbs-mba-no-1-in-asia-pacific but that isn't mainland America, and it also isn't Thunderbird.
The fees are a bit cheaper, the Melbourne MBA is about 70k AUD for a full fee paying spot + Books and board to give you an idea

2. No-one has ever asked to see my transcript, once you have your MBA your results in the workplace matter more than your grades when going for new jobs.

3. (here at least) you can do a MBA with a focus in HRM, but I think the allure of MBA's is that it is a generalist degree. If you want to do HRM, I would probably look at courses in that area.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

VideoTapir posted:

Would that be worthwhile for a dude in his 30s with a trainwreck work history?

You get out of it what you put in. If your Japanese and Korean is business-level and you take the time to jack up your Chinese to that point, you can sell yourself as a pretty solid Asia guy with lots of international experience.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Thanks for the reply.

I've been floating the possibility of pursuing an MBA with some of my professional friends and what some people are telling me is that MBAs are like JDs in that degrees from top schools are the only ones that matter (think of the idea of T14 law schools). Is this a gross over simplification, or is it genuinely a waste of time to attend a school ranked 26th in the country?

Secondly, what should I make of job placement rates on sites like bloomberg that have profiles of MBA programs? Apparently UTexas Austin has a 95% placement rate. Is this shady propaganda or a valid metric that indicates a strong program?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Radio Talmudist posted:

Thanks for the reply.

I've been floating the possibility of pursuing an MBA with some of my professional friends and what some people are telling me is that MBAs are like JDs in that degrees from top schools are the only ones that matter (think of the idea of T14 law schools). Is this a gross over simplification, or is it genuinely a waste of time to attend a school ranked 26th in the country?

Secondly, what should I make of job placement rates on sites like bloomberg that have profiles of MBA programs? Apparently UTexas Austin has a 95% placement rate. Is this shady propaganda or a valid metric that indicates a strong program?

If you look at the data yourself you will find that there's a similar trend. Multiply placement rate (job accepted within 3 mo of graduation) by expected salary for US FT MBA programs and the trend is obvious.

I did some data collection last year and came up with this:

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008

Radio Talmudist posted:

Thanks for the reply.

This is pretty much true with some exceptions. I'd say top 7 MBA is definitely worth it, top 15 probably worth it, 15-25 or so it starts to get shaky, and 25+ probably not worth it. Of course if your company is paying for it and hiring you after you graduate then do whatever. Whether you're going to HSW or a 25th ranked school you still need to have very clear career goals and a solid plan to achieve that (networking, on campus recruiting, etc) going in or you will be screwed. You need to line up a summer internship scarily soon into your first year or you will end up unemployed at graduation and die alone (not quite obviously, but you get my point).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Swingline posted:

This is pretty much true with some exceptions. I'd say top 7 MBA is definitely worth it, top 15 probably worth it, 15-25 or so it starts to get shaky, and 25+ probably not worth it. Of course if your company is paying for it and hiring you after you graduate then do whatever. Whether you're going to HSW or a 25th ranked school you still need to have very clear career goals and a solid plan to achieve that (networking, on campus recruiting, etc) going in or you will be screwed. You need to line up a summer internship scarily soon into your first year or you will end up unemployed at graduation and die alone (not quite obviously, but you get my point).
Is there one ranking source that's considered more definitive than the others?

(I'm attending a part-time program, and factored in BusinessWeek's part-time rather than full-time rankings. I always hope that wasn't a bad mistake.)

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008

Small White Dragon posted:

Is there one ranking source that's considered more definitive than the others?

(I'm attending a part-time program, and factored in BusinessWeek's part-time rather than full-time rankings. I always hope that wasn't a bad mistake.)

I was talking about full time MBA programs. Part time and executive MBAs are a completely different story and I don't know anything about them. The consensus top 7 "M7" full time US MBAs are typically defined as:

-HBS
-Stanford
-Wharton
-Columbia
-Kellogg
-Chicago
-MIT Sloan

With schools like Stern, Fuqua, Haas, Tuck, etc etc coming after. Businessweek rankings are what most people go off of. The biggest difference between M7 MBAs versus everyone else is that elite buy-side shops (private equity and hedge funds) recruit at them and hardly recruit anywhere else. Top 15-25 is still very doable to get into elite jobs such as investment banking or consulting or F500 leadership development programs but you have to work a lot harder networking, interview better, and have better job experience to get them than if you went to an M7 since there are less spots for lower ranked schools.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

Radio Talmudist posted:

To answer your first question, I am an American and graduated from a top MBA school in continental Europe in September.

I cannot compare it's "goodness" with any other MBA program, I can tell you that my return on investment, including foregone salary during the program, will be about a year. The tuition was significantly less than what I regarded as a comparable US program, however the program lasted about half as long. I'd be happy to answer more specific questions if you have them: [address deleted]

Sits on Pilster fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 11, 2013

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Hey guys, a few more questions from a newbie:

1. It looks like career goals are absolutely pivotal for placement at a decent MBA program. I assume what is sought is a clear vision for what one intends to do with an MBA?
2. I know many programs seek or even require work experience for admissions. Does this work experience have to be of a particular kind?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Sits on Pilster posted:

To answer your first question, I am an American and graduated from a top MBA school in continental Europe in September.

I cannot compare it's "goodness" with any other MBA program, I can tell you that my return on investment, including foregone salary during the program, will be about a year.

Was your goal to be in Europe, or was your decision based on the financials you cited?

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

Mandalay posted:

Was your goal to be in Europe, or was your decision based on the financials you cited?

Europe was required - everything else fell into place.

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

Radio Talmudist posted:

1. It looks like career goals are absolutely pivotal for placement at a decent MBA program. I assume what is sought is a clear vision for what one intends to do with an MBA?
2. I know many programs seek or even require work experience for admissions. Does this work experience have to be of a particular kind?

Yeah, Generally they want you to be able to articulate why you want the degree, realistically this is a question you have probably already asked yourself before applying.
And my university wanted the experience to be at a Manger (i.e. not just supervisor) level.

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008

Radio Talmudist posted:

The only work experience needed is 2-4+ years that required a college degree. It does not have to be at the managerial level at all, that is what they're training you to become after the MBA after all. A perfect example is that low level analysts at investment banks and private equity firms or consulting firms place amazingly well into MBAs even though they spend 2-4 years at the bottom of the totem pole not being a manager. The one caveat is that even though you're not expected to already be a manager, you're supposed to demonstrate leadership (helping recruit/train new hires, leading smaller projects, making important suggestions/decisions, etc) and initiative (taking on above the required workload, high performance reviews, taking on risky/unfamiliar/uncomfortable projects, etc) you took beyond the basic call of duty even if you were a low level grunt straight out of undergrad which demonstrates you are ready to make the transition to management and you will asked about this stuff in your essays/interviews.

Swingline fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 30, 2013

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I am a recent MSc (Luxury) Brand Management graduate from a top 10 French business school. Just wishing you guys good luck because the job market is bad. Most of my classmates got solid internships or jobs but no one is super truly happy with their wages. Seems like most of us ran into a lot of immigration issues. I had a hard time finding a job while in France and I had to return to the US (NYC).

Lucky for me I got a scholarship and my debt is really low but it sucks not doing anything during the week just to save money and pay back the loans. I can't imagine having $50k + in loans. My tuition after French scholarships was less than $10k.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Radio Talmudist posted:

I just posted but I will answer you directly. Some countries do things a bit differently. I went to France for my masters but I did not do a MBA.

I did a 4 years bachelors at the University California and then I moved to France. Because of my experience working and my 4 year bachelors, I was able to enter the M2 program. In France, business students generally go to school for 5 years, they will:

-3 Years bachelors (Includes 1 semester of internship and 1 semester abroad)
-Masters 1 (M1) General Business
-Masters 2 (M2) Specialized focus (Between these 2 years you do another internship and/or study abroad).
-Then they work for a few years and go do their MBA at school again.

I was able to jump in M2 and I finished up quick. The degree holds a lot of prestige in Europe and it's semi-recognizable to some people in the US. In Europe, I was getting some job offers but ran into problems due to immigration and I ended not being able to take them which really sucked. In the US, I got a job at an international marketing firm and I asked the HR lady why and she said I had a masters from an international school.

I really liked it, I can apply to positions with a masters degree now that is recognized everywhere and I paid almost nothing for it. Furthermore, living in France is extremely cheap so you can save money and work on the side while you study. I have some friends that are in top tier business schools and are taking out huge loans. Of course, I would have wanted to go to Harvard but I wanted to go abroad. I would definitely do it again.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Enigma89 posted:

I can't imagine having $50k + in loans. My tuition after French scholarships was less than $10k.

I would do horrible, horrible things to only have $50k in loans.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Enigma89 posted:

I just posted but I will answer you directly. Some countries do things a bit differently. I went to France for my masters but I did not do a MBA.

I did a 4 years bachelors at the University California and then I moved to France. Because of my experience working and my 4 year bachelors, I was able to enter the M2 program. In France, business students generally go to school for 5 years, they will:

-Masters 2 (M2) Specialized focus (Between these 2 years you do another internship and/or study abroad).

I was able to jump in M2 and I finished up quick. The degree holds a lot of prestige in Europe and it's semi-recognizable to some people in the US. In Europe, I was getting some job offers but ran into problems due to immigration and I ended not being able to take them which really sucked. In the US, I got a job at an international marketing firm and I asked the HR lady why and she said I had a masters from an international school.

I really liked it, I can apply to positions with a masters degree now that is recognized everywhere and I paid almost nothing for it. Furthermore, living in France is extremely cheap so you can save money and work on the side while you study. I have some friends that are in top tier business schools and are taking out huge loans. Of course, I would have wanted to go to Harvard but I wanted to go abroad. I would definitely do it again.

Thank you for responding. May I inquire into the nature of your scholarship? I'm surprised that business schools even offer many scholarships, but maybe they want to encourage young entrepreneurs and business leaders. Was it a prominent program, one offered by the French gov't, etc? How did you qualify? I of course understand if you opt not to answer these questions if you want to be discrete.

As for leadership experience, how do business schools respond to extracurricular examples? Like working for a volunteer organization, a church, etc?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Radio Talmudist posted:

Thank you for responding. May I inquire into the nature of your scholarship? I'm surprised that business schools even offer many scholarships, but maybe they want to encourage young entrepreneurs and business leaders. Was it a prominent program, one offered by the French gov't, etc? How did you qualify? I of course understand if you opt not to answer these questions if you want to be discrete.

As for leadership experience, how do business schools respond to extracurricular examples? Like working for a volunteer organization, a church, etc?

It was a really good program and it was very competitive to get in. I got a scholarship because of my experience and being a bit more competitive, I also got lucky because I got into a few other French schools and I was able to negotiate a bit. These French schools want Americans to come so they are willing to shell out. The ED HEC program has huge scholarships for doing barely anything. Do you know an alumni at the school? Scholarship. Were you the first 3 people from your country to apply? Scholarship. Are you a duel citizenship? Scholarship. Most competitive one in your country to apply? Scholarship, etc etc.

The only hard part is the application / visa process but it is not a huge huge deal. It just sucks having to send things via snail mail to France. As for your other questions:

quote:

Not necessarily hard but I really applied myself and I did brand management / marketing which was a lot less intense as my friends who were in the finance degree. There were also some incredibly hard classes that people were really doing badly (Ecommerce was one). I will say that the French grading curve is pretty forgiving but I did know a lot of people that were struggling.

No idea about #3.

Honestly what is really the potential loss here? You will get an internationally known masters degree very cheap, you will live in a foreign country and have a great experience. If the degree doesn't work out and 'useless' then are back where you are now. The degree is so cheap and the cost of living in France is stupid cheap, you are at a very little risk $ here.

e:
I don't post in this subforum a lot so if you want PM me and I can answer all your exact questions via email or PM. If you seem like a good fit I can maybe even refer you to my school.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 30, 2013

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The opportunity cost of going for a "cheap" MBA is that you're potentially wasting one of the few opportunities out there for a lateral career move.
If you're looking at a non-tier 1 program, you should really look at what you expect to gain out of it.

MBAs are fundamentally about networking and job opportunities. No one's going to give a poo poo that you "learnt" management at a random B-school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Enigma89 posted:

Here is a way to get a work visa for 3-18 months in France — assuming you can get a French company to give you a job. It is super easy (I did it and I don't even speak French) and the French-American Chamber of Commerce takes care of most of the paperwork. I think it only costs the employer around 150€.
http://www.faccnyc.org/icdp-j-1-visas/american-trainees-in-france/

Obviously this isn't a permeant solution but if you're at a company for 18 months maybe they'll be more inclined to hire you.