Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mr. Despair posted:

congrats on your new cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
He's super friendly and is a master tree climber. many afternoons i come home and hear a 'mew' (he has a tiny little squeakmeow) and there's sebastian, just sittin on a limb 30 feet up

he has 0 fear of the house and nargle and has snuck inside when other cattes have been outside beatin him up. nargle doesn't go for the throat, she's just confused and wtf because she doesnt really know what a cat is

i'm so close to just turning the studio room into new cat sequester area, taking him in for fix/shots, and doin' thangs

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm so close to just turning the studio room into new cat sequester area, taking him in for fix/shots, and doin' thangs

DO IT.

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

One cat leaves the earth, another one enters

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

i literally cried, thanks

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

about an hour ago, she started acting dizzy, and then fell over. I took her to the emergency vet.

by the time I got there, her heart had stopped. they tried to get it going again. no luck. too late.

couldn't bear to bring the empty carrier home. they kept it, said they'd donate it to a shelter.

it didn't really hit me until I opened the door and she wasn't there to say "where have you been?"

I'm typing this and there's nobody on my lap.

goodbye alex

:smith:

:cry:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lord funk posted:

sometimes you have to admire the professionals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxdmq41kWOE

makes it look so drat easy

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Post dings

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
kirk have you seen the youtube, if not, check your twitter DMs.

also post dings.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Jonny 290 posted:

also post dings.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

sorry about your cat Janin :(

also seriously where's Romano I'm getting worried over here

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i have a cat now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U0-t__2e0g

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U0-t__2e0g

embedding it

sup cat

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

:catstare:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
can we have a little bit of chat about what we should be thinking about if we want to bring Sebastian into the household?

remember. nargle has personality. she has lived whole life with no other animals and doesnt really get them i think.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

she likes food i guess??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBAhdZ9_sYQ

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
:swoon:

Also new mezzo

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

can we have a little bit of chat about what we should be thinking about if we want to bring Sebastian into the household?

remember. nargle has personality. she has lived whole life with no other animals and doesnt really get them i think.

How old is Nargle?

Quarantining is something you'll definitely want to do.

Also pictures would probably help w/r/t brainstorming.

Tunnelman
Feb 28, 2010

aaag air flow

Jonny 290 posted:

Keep them apart for a bit, exchange blankets or something in beds for each other to smell the other cat. Bring out in a crate so nargle can see and smell but sebastion can't run around what she perceives as hers.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Welcome to the tortie crew.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

dlh tortie represent

also she looks fat but she's actually pretty skinny, she just has a LOT of fur :goleft:

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

if you can try to introduce them through a screen door or baby gate

if they don't hiss and try to kill eachother

congrats on your new cat

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Someone told me Daisy looks like an unhappy cat - melancholy I don't see it.

This is Hoke.jpg though

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 30, 2013

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

also post dings.

i aint checked twitter yet today ill do it after lunch

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Jonny 290 posted:

eggplant wizard (hi) wrote a great post about this in PI ages ago

quote:

When you bring a new cat into your household, both it and your other cats will probably be upset. You would be too if someone thrust a roommate on you. You can minimize the stress by making the introduction gradually.

Stage 0: Acceptance of terms
There will be lots of hissing. This does not mean you are doomed.

Stage 1: Seclusion
Keep the new cat separate from the other cat(s). Make sure it has all the necessities- food, water, litter, attention. Choose somewhere you can hang out with new cat and get to know it, but not your other cat's favorite hangout, either. The cats will all know the others are there, but this stage allows them to get comfortable with there being other scents around. Try switching out each cat's bedding so they can sniff at it. You might also try giving them their meals on either side of a closed door, so they associate food with the new cat's smell. You can switch the cats out to explore each other's areas and get used to scents & places that way, too.

This stage can last a couple of hours to a week or so. You will have to use your judgment on when to advance. If both cats seem comfortable and curious, rather than totally anxious, continue on.

Stage 2: Supervised introductions
Pretty much what it says. Let the cats meet. There will almost certainly be hissing and maybe even some swatting. It's okay to laugh when their tails puff up. You can let these introductions last as long as you like, depending on how the cats interact. The rule of thumb is not to separate them unless (a) you can't be present to supervise anymore or (b) violence erupts.

Violence is not swatting and hissing and puffing up, or even growling and yowling, necessarily. If blood is drawn or the yowls seem to indicate pain rather than aggression, then it's absolutely time to separate them and return to stage 1 for a while.

This stage might last as little as one or two meetings, or it could go on for weeks. If it drags beyond a week please ask and see if we can make some suggestions to make things go more smoothly.

Stage 3: Kitten piles
As the introductions go better and last longer without incident, you will feel comfortable leaving the cats alone, and from there they'll probably soon reach a level of toleration, if not immediate kitten piles. Kitten piles may never happen, honestly, and that's not your fault. If they do, great!

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Someone told me Daisy looks like an unhappy cat - melancholy I don't see it.

looks like normal catface to me.
Also a pretty cat.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

drat Hoke is on a roll today.

He keep rolling his paws in :3:

The trap is arming!

The trap was sprung :(

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 30, 2013

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Tunnelman posted:

Keep them apart for a bit, exchange blankets or something in beds for each other to smell the other cat. Bring out in a crate so nargle can see and smell but sebastion can't run around what she perceives as hers.

No don't use a crate, he will feel trapped and be upset. Use a baby gate in the doorway if you have one, or just crack the door enough so they can see each other and maybe put an arm through. Keep the door closed for the first couple days though.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

morning neighborcatte status

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

This is why I got nothing done today while working from home

While I was editing out my source code from that image Spenny was standing on my desk, in front of my keyboard, all four paws squeezed between my arms and rubbing his head on my boob >.<

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lum posted:

This is why I got nothing done today while working from home

While I was editing out my source code from that image Spenny was standing on my desk, in front of my keyboard, all four paws squeezed between my arms and rubbing his head on my boob >.<

sue for sexual harrasment

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
koos-postin' (chillin on top of the mrs)

toby
Dec 4, 2002

i also prefer to rub my head on a boob while i work, i find it is difficult to arrange this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

every time we got a new cat (max 3 concurrent) as a kid we just threw them together and they were fine.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Samopsa posted:

koos-postin' (chillin on top of the mrs)

there is no place better for a cat than on a blanket between the legs.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sebastian can camp out in my studio room. nargle occasionally sleeps in there but she doesn't really stake claim. and i think i can bum a babby gate from childhaver friends

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dammit.

quote:

The Fayetteville Animal Shelter will offer free spay and neuter surgeries to Fayetteville residents for local dogs and cats on three upcoming dates in February and March.

Surgery days are scheduled for Feb. 16, March 1, and March 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

PipeRifle posted:

One cat leaves the earth, another one enters

my work break just got misty