Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Mine is stuck at the What's New screen and I can't get it to do anything else.

How long has it been? That happens to me quite frequently after updating (AV Installer) and it snaps out of it after a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The thing I love best about the latest jailbreak "news" is how it's supposed to be "February 1" but when you look at the website you find out that it's just a vague "Today, tommorow, by the end of the month." The misspellings, too, add to the mystique. I am glad that they feel it necessary to "tank" all their users who helped during the beta testing and that they are patiently awaiting the final touches to their assuredly radical warez-like installer to be added by their "designers and conders".

What I worry about is that these guys will actually put out "something" (read: a nasty malware/Trojan). :sigh:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Got my ATV3 today. Updated, and BT keyboard works a treat. (Navigation *and* text entry)

One question though, when I do AirPlay, my iPhone now lists:
iPhone
Apple TV
Apple TV(2) <- The new one

Is there a way I can make my iphone etc... forget the old AppleTV?

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
So before I blow away my current Frodo install let me ask you all a question. It appears, that I have to install Eden, enable Library mode for both Video and Music and then update to Frodo. Right now I have Frodo but I can only have Library mode on for Videos. Is there anyway I can enable Library mode for Music without blowing everything away? Library Mode button is there but I can't select it.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Feenix posted:

Got my ATV3 today. Updated, and BT keyboard works a treat. (Navigation *and* text entry)

One question though, when I do AirPlay, my iPhone now lists:
iPhone
Apple TV
Apple TV(2) <- The new one

Is there a way I can make my iphone etc... forget the old AppleTV?

Can't you disable AirPlay inside the AppleTV?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Now that I have multiple AppleTVs I want to give access to others in my family to use the Remote app on their iPhone. Unlike AirPlay, which is any iOS device or iTunes on the same WiFi network, you have to be signed on with a matching iTunes account (which is my account). Considering that each individual in my household has their own iTunes account for their devices (there is 5 of us) that means I am the only one that can use the Remote app. Is there something I am missing? If not Apple should of made the Remote app work like AirPlay.

That said I did notice the BT keyboard update for ATV3. Can you connect with your iOS device via BT and use it as a keyboard now?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

nate fisher posted:

Can you connect with your iOS device via BT and use it as a keyboard now?

The remote app has always been usable as a keyboard.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Now that I have multiple AppleTVs I want to give access to others in my family to use the Remote app on their iPhone. Unlike AirPlay, which is any iOS device or iTunes on the same WiFi network, you have to be signed on with a matching iTunes account (which is my account). Considering that each individual in my household has their own iTunes account for their devices (there is 5 of us) that means I am the only one that can use the Remote app. Is there something I am missing? If not Apple should of made the Remote app work like AirPlay.

I haven't tried this myself, but I believe you can use a separate Apple ID just for the Remote app. You could create a new Apple ID and then all use that for Remote without giving out your primary Apple ID to everyone else. I agree that making it work like Airplay would be better, but I think this way should work.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Chuck Bartowski posted:

The remote app has always been usable as a keyboard.

I know that, but my point is to use it you have to be on the same iTunes account as the ATV. It doesn't work like AirPlay. I was hoping the BT thing would fix that.

Diabolik900 posted:

I haven't tried this myself, but I believe you can use a separate Apple ID just for the Remote app. You could create a new Apple ID and then all use that for Remote without giving out your primary Apple ID to everyone else. I agree that making it work like Airplay would be better, but I think this way should work.

That is an interesting idea. I will try it when I get home.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I know that, but my point is to use it you have to be on the same iTunes account as the ATV. It doesn't work like AirPlay. I was hoping the BT thing would fix that.

I have an apple id that I use as the "family" apple id. And it's the one that all Apps, Music, Books, Movies and TV Shows are bought with. It's also the one used for the Apple TVs and the Remote App and Home Sharing.

Then everyone has their own Apple ID for syncing iCloud and Contacts and Calendars etc.

It's a good method to use.

geera
May 20, 2003

echobucket posted:

I have an apple id that I use as the "family" apple id. And it's the one that all Apps, Music, Books, Movies and TV Shows are bought with. It's also the one used for the Apple TVs and the Remote App and Home Sharing.

Then everyone has their own Apple ID for syncing iCloud and Contacts and Calendars etc.

It's a good method to use.
My wife and I have talked about using one Apple ID for purchases, but we've been running on our own IDs for a few years now. Is there any practical way to switch and still access content (pretty much only apps and music) we've already bought on our individual IDs? It would be great if there was a way to merge two IDs in to one and carry over purchases to the new ID also.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
When I started up my ATV3 and turned on the TV I heard Siri telling me some poo poo (at the setup screen) but I didn't really catch what she said.

Is Siri on the ATV3?? Or was that just a pre-recorded help text for setup?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Feenix posted:

When I started up my ATV3 and turned on the TV I heard Siri telling me some poo poo (at the setup screen) but I didn't really catch what she said.

Is Siri on the ATV3?? Or was that just a pre-recorded help text for setup?

It's the voiceover support for people with visual disabilities. It's not siri.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, same thing happens first time you set up a Mac laptop or desktop, if you leave it alone long enough after the initial boot.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
So a new AppleTV is in the offing. I wonder why. It doesn't really seem like it needed a redesign (or new internal hardware for that matter)...

Well, unless we actually are getting Siri on an AppleTV for some reason :v:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

nate fisher posted:

IIRC, the appleid you put into the Remote app is completely separate from everything else on the device. Your family shouldn't have any problem using your appleid in their Remote app.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
poo poo man, I guess I'd better return that drat ATV3 I just bought...

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

ComradeCosmobot posted:

So a new AppleTV is in the offing. I wonder why. It doesn't really seem like it needed a redesign (or new internal hardware for that matter)...

Well, unless we actually are getting Siri on an AppleTV for some reason :v:
I bet everyone is looking forward to being able to play all that 4k content on their aTV. :rolleyes: Ultimately if it leads to aTV apps, then, "Yes please!" But if it's just for 3D content on iTunes or something, bleh.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Feenix posted:

poo poo man, I guess I'd better return that drat ATV3 I just bought...

What you don't have more than 1 TV you can use the second one on?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Voodoo posted:

I bet everyone is looking forward to being able to play all that 4k content on their aTV. :rolleyes: Ultimately if it leads to aTV apps, then, "Yes please!" But if it's just for 3D content on iTunes or something, bleh.

There's some talk that it's simply a matter of production of the A5s being good enough now that they don't really have enough bad dies to toss to the AppleTV (and that they are basically requisitioning the stocks currently being used for the AppleTV for other devices now that the yields are high enough). While that's a plausible answer, it seems silly in some sense.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My guess is that it is simply a A5X on a 32nm process, and using it in the Apple TV is a trial, and then it will be used for real in the retina iPad mini.

I doubt the current Apple TV is using much of the power of its current chip, since 99% of its load is just decoding H264.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
An Apple spokesperson spoke to The Next Web about the new Apple TV model disclosed in FCC filings yesterday.

The company explained that the changes are strictly internal, and there won't be any new features or other changes. The Next Web is also reporting that the new Apple TV will use Apple's A5X processor from the third-generation iPad, and an upgraded Broadcom BCM4334 wireless chip, as was reported last night. The external size of the device will also remain the same.

Guess that answers that. I shall stand down.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
My hope for the new Apple TV is a bluetooth remote.

And the ability to buy that remote for older Apple TVs.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

echobucket posted:

My hope for the new Apple TV is a bluetooth remote.

And the ability to buy that remote for older Apple TVs.

Do you not have an iphone or ipod or iPad to run remote on?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Suqit posted:

Do you not have an iphone or ipod or iPad to run remote on?

I want real buttons. Using a touch screen remote sucks because you have to try to look at your touchscreen and the screen of the Apple TV at the same time.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

echobucket posted:

I want real buttons. Using a touch screen remote sucks because you have to try to look at your touchscreen and the screen of the Apple TV at the same time.

Interesting. I like the no buttons because its basically one big button; tap to pause or resume, swipe to rewind or ff.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Suqit posted:

Interesting. I like the no buttons because its basically one big button; tap to pause or resume, swipe to rewind or ff.

I always miss the menu options I'm trying to hit when swiping. It's just awkward.

What I really wish was that the entire Apple TV Interface (the menu hierarchy) was available in the remote app. Then I could navigate to anywhere in the Apple TV interface and start something playing by just looking at my iOS screen.

In fact, the entire idea of using the iPhone/iPad as a traditional remote control is kind of dumb when you can just put the user interaction right on the device.

Then the only time you would have to look up at the TV would be when you actually start watching something.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
That would be a neat idea actually. Especially on the iPad

101 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 2, 2013

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

That would be a meat idea actually. Especially on the iPad

I have Verizon Fios, and they have an app that puts their entire channel guide on your ipad for browsing, telling the TV to change channels, adjusting your DVR settings and whatnot, and it also has a cool feature where it displays a Verizon remote and you can use any of the buttons as if you had the physical remote in your hand.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Feenix posted:

The external size of the device will also remain the same.
That's odd. The FCC diagram clearly shows it as 93.78 mm squares. Apple says on the specs page for the current one that it is 98 mm square. Yeah, that's a minor difference, but it's not the same.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
My 4.4.4 Appletv 2 sold in 4 hours for $220, i kind of wish i had listed it for more now.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Speaking of ATV 2 with 4.4.4, will I gain anything extra by updating at all - is the new layout better?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Don Lapre posted:

My 4.4.4 Appletv 2 sold in 4 hours for $220, i kind of wish i had listed it for more now.

I piled on this "flipper" fire sale too a few weeks back, since I really didn't care about Jailbreaking my ATV2 and since Fry's had the ATV3 on sale for $79. Posted a $185 buy it now with free shipping and BOOM gone within an hour. I feel dirty.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

echobucket posted:

I always miss the menu options I'm trying to hit when swiping. It's just awkward.

What I really wish was that the entire Apple TV Interface (the menu hierarchy) was available in the remote app. Then I could navigate to anywhere in the Apple TV interface and start something playing by just looking at my iOS screen.

In fact, the entire idea of using the iPhone/iPad as a traditional remote control is kind of dumb when you can just put the user interaction right on the device.

Then the only time you would have to look up at the TV would be when you actually start watching something.

XBMC Does this with the iPhone apps, it's pretty crazy that apple's own media stuff doesn't!

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks to this thread just got $200 in cold hard cash fo my atv2. Talk about resale value. Now the question is whether to buy a refurbished atv3 or wait for a new smaller atv. Don't we usually get some sort of entertainment announcement from Apple in February?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

iv46vi posted:

Thanks to this thread just got $200 in cold hard cash fo my atv2. Talk about resale value. Now the question is whether to buy a refurbished atv3 or wait for a new smaller atv. Don't we usually get some sort of entertainment announcement from Apple in February?

There would normally be an iPad event around March, which is where the Apple TV 3 was announced last year, but that seems extremely unlikely this year given that they just refreshed the iPad lineup in the Fall and just quietly announced the 128GB iPad this week. Apple's already acknowledged that the new Apple TV model isn't going to be any different from a user's perspective. I'd just get one now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

iv46vi posted:

Do you use the apple features like itunes and display mirroring? If not then there are cheaper options.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Mostly used it for Netflix and air played some tv shows from the iPad. I think Wii can do the Netflix duty for the time being. My thinking is current atv3 can drop in price a bit if atv3.5 comes out soon.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Netflix on ATV is by far the best experience that I've come across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

MickRaider posted:

Netflix on ATV is by far the best experience that I've come across.

I'd gladly trade it for how the PS3 does Netflix, but thats just me.

• Locked thread