Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

WendigoJohnson posted:

Yeah I guess the DC is sort of like a Bizarro Wii, I never really thought of it that way. Allthough the last year of the Wii's cycle was actually drought free for the most part, a system exclusive game was coming out like every month or so that was actually worth getting.

I can't think of more than three games for the Wii in 2012 that I would want to play. Ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Off the top of my head:
Xenoblade (NA)
The Last Story (NA/PAL)
Pandora's Tower (PAL)
Project Zero 2: Wii Edition aka Fatal Frame 2 remake (PAL)
Rhythm Heaven Fever (NA) / Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise (PAL)
Kirby's Dream Collection (NA)

plus Kiki Trick which was released only in Japan and has no hope in hell of ever being localised.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Guess that's just me but I don't count the anthology and therefore see three games I would ever want to play.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, I wasn't disputing your broader point, just listing everything I could think of for the sake of it.

I checked Wikipedia and there were a few others I missed/forgot about: Mario Party 9 (NA/PAL), Inazuma Eleven (PAL), NPC Pikmin 2 (NA, only took 'em three years!) and Dragon Quext 10 in Japan.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

:spooky:DOOOOOM! GLOOOOOOM!:spooky:

Edge posted:

Wii U sells three million as Nintendo cuts sales targets

Nintendo has confirmed that it sold 3.06 million Wii Us globally between launch and the end of December 2012, with 11.69 million software titles shifted for the new console. In its financial results Nintendo cut its Wii U sales forecast from 5.5 million to four million unit sales by the end of March, with software sales targets also sliding down from 24 million units to 16 million.

Nintendo now expects to make an operating loss of 20 billion yen – that’s £140 million – at the end of the financial year. It had previously forecast an operating profit of £140 million. The company has cut its annual revenue forecast by 17.3 per cent, but raised its net profit expectations from six to 14 billion yen (£97.5 million).

Nintendo also reduced its global 3DS sales projections in the financials released this morning. It expects to sell 15 million handheld consoles by April, having previously forecast 17.5 million. 3DS software sales are expected to land at 50 million. Global 3DS hardware sales now total 29.84 million, with 84.99 million software titles sold.

Nintendo also updated lifetime hardware and software sales for Wii and DS. Wii has now sold 99.38 million units, with 863.53 million software titles sold. DS has now sold 153.67 million hardware units, and 930.55 million software titles.
Source

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
By those numbers the Wii had a better software attach rate then the freakin DS? How is that possible?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Iacen posted:

Source

Wait! Wii U sold three million globally?!

I thought for sure it'd be less.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 30, 2013

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Brit/EU goons, amazon.co.uk has dropped the price on some Wii U games:

Arkham Asylum for 21 GBP

Sonic Racing for 23 GBP

Assassin's Creed 3 for 24 GBP

Sold or fulfilled by Amazon, so free shipping within the UK.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

I've been interested in this game, I tried the demo and it was pretty fun. I still don't know if I should get the Wii U or PC version and if it's actually as good as the likes of Mario Kart.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Iacen posted:

I had to do a double-take there.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Widdiful posted:

I've been interested in this game, I tried the demo and it was pretty fun. I still don't know if I should get the Wii U or PC version and if it's actually as good as the likes of Mario Kart.

It's kind of hard to compare to Mario Kart because it's not really trying for the same thing. It's much closer to something like Diddy Kong Racing, and it requires a lot of skill to get anywhere on the higher difficulties. As for Wii U vs. PC, Wii U has 5 player local multiplayer, but the PC version will have a better framerate and a couple characters that are exclusive. I highly, highly recommend it no matter which route you go.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Artix74 posted:

It's kind of hard to compare to Mario Kart because it's not really trying for the same thing. It's much closer to something like Diddy Kong Racing, and it requires a lot of skill to get anywhere on the higher difficulties. As for Wii U vs. PC, Wii U has 5 player local multiplayer, but the PC version will have a better framerate and a couple characters that are exclusive. I highly, highly recommend it no matter which route you go.

I wouldn't quite recommend it if you aren't, like, quite good at videogames. You're never going to get Ages if you aren't.

I finally got through the last gate, only to see that the very very final gate requires 100% of the stars. I'm sad now. :(

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Artix74 posted:

This is the first Ive heard of the PC exclusive characters.
Football Manager
Total War: Shogun
Team Fortress 2

Holy SHIIIIIITTTTT

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's a pretty solid game, I don't think it's quite as good as Mario Kart though. I did everything except for beating ghosts in time trial mode because that's just kinda boring. The game is surprisingly challenging, a couple of the traffic challenges especially took me a couple of hours of just retrying over and over. My only real problem with the game is that the items didn't seem that well thought out. Mario Kart has a much better balance. (Even though people like to complain about blue shells) The course design is great though, and the game makes way better use of the transforming vehicle mechanic than Mario Kart 7.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

KimT posted:

It's a pretty solid game, I don't think it's quite as good as Mario Kart though. I did everything except for beating ghosts in time trial mode because that's just kinda boring. The game is surprisingly challenging, a couple of the traffic challenges especially took me a couple of hours of just retrying over and over. My only real problem with the game is that the items didn't seem that well thought out. Mario Kart has a much better balance. (Even though people like to complain about blue shells) The course design is great though, and the game makes way better use of the transforming vehicle mechanic than Mario Kart 7.

I have to disagree with you on the items not being well thought out. Compared to Mario Kart, they were intentionally designed to be more down to earth and less destructive, making the game focus way more on driving skills than getting a lucky item.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

KimT posted:

It's certainly the hardest "kart" racer I've ever played. It's just a few notches under F-zero GX, actually.

I disagree on the item balance, though. The only problems I have is that All-Star is too powerful and the rockets are confusing and pretty weak. Most of the items are just thinly-disguised versions of their MK equivalent, and I think that the Swarm is a much better way of handling things than blue shells. They almost always work, they usually slow down more than one player, and the player in first has the option of simply achieving nirvana and dodging all of them.

That said, I hate the Burning Rangers level and traffic challenges.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

That said, I hate the Burning Rangers level and traffic challenges.

The song makes up for any wrongs the track has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUabQiXermY

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

greatn posted:

By those numbers the Wii had a better software attach rate then the freakin DS? How is that possible?
Mario Kart Wii (32.44 million]
Wii Sports Resort (30.14 million)
Wii Play (28.02 million)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (26.26 million)
Wii Fit (22.67 million)
Wii Fit Plus (20.48 million)

Slapping 'Wii' in the name of a game was money in the bank.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Chaltab posted:

Mario Kart Wii (32.44 million]
Wii Sports Resort (30.14 million)
Wii Play (28.02 million)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (26.26 million)
Wii Fit (22.67 million)
Wii Fit Plus (20.48 million)

Slapping 'Wii' in the name of a game was money in the bank.

It's still crazy to me that Mario Kart Wii is almost certainly the best selling game of the generation. They should be punished for ruining Battle Mode!:argh:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

greatn posted:

I read a statistic several years ago stating that if the ONLY games ever released for the GBA ever were those four Mario Advance ports over the course of the entire system's life, the GBA would have still been a massive financial success for Nintendo. I can only imagine how well New Super Mario Bros. Wii U is selling.

Also I notice when looking at these sales charts over the years that all three of the big console makers cheat with their pack-in games. Wii Play on the original Wii as an example, was counted as a best selling individual game (even though everyone who bought it did so just for the Remote) while Wii Sports was counted as a best seller in the US even when it was only available as a pack-in with a new Wii.

So they kind of get the best of both worlds on paper whenever pack-ins and bundles are around. I'm sure they're counting Nintendo Land as a sold game even though it's bundled with the deluxe model in the US. Otherwise (going by the sales numbers on that link) it would mean that every single person that bought a Wii U purchased a minimum of three games at he same time which I seriously doubt.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
So has it been confirmed that purchases are tied to your ACCOUNT, and not hardware?

I'd love to upgrade all my hardware-tied Wii purchases to an account-tied Wii U purchases.

Most of my library (on all systems I own) is downloaded games.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

It's still crazy to me that Mario Kart Wii is almost certainly the best selling game of the generation. They should be punished for ruining Battle Mode!:argh:

If it makes you feel better, Wii Play is probably the real game of the generation if decide not to include system bundles.

I know it makes you feel better.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Neo Rasa posted:

I read a statistic several years ago stating that if the ONLY games ever released for the GBA ever were those four Mario Advance ports over the course of the entire system's life, the GBA would have still been a massive financial success for Nintendo. I can only imagine how well New Super Mario Bros. Wii U is selling.

Actually, we know that.

"Joystiq posted:

Regards software, Nintendo shifted 11.69 million Wii U games since the console's launch on November 18, The best-performing games were the bundled-in Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U, coming in at 2.33 million and 2.01 million respectively.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Artix74 posted:

Actually, we know that.

I feel bad for those 1 million kids who got Tank! Tank! Tank! and/or Funky Barn instead. :(

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Owning FunkyBarn gets you VIP status in the FunkyBarn club on the miiverse. Speaking of miiverse anyone know when we'll be able to do those private communities cause that's gonna own

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

theflyingorc posted:

I wouldn't quite recommend it if you aren't, like, quite good at videogames. You're never going to get Ages if you aren't.

I finally got through the last gate, only to see that the very very final gate requires 100% of the stars. I'm sad now. :(

My girlfriend and me have been slowly grinding through the game for the last couple of weeks. So far we have everything 2-star'd and about ten events 3-star'd. As weird as it sounds for a kart racer, you actually get better at the game as you play, it has a real sense of skill progression that the Mario Kart series hasn't had since the original SNES game. Playing Sonic made me aware just how stale and formulaic Mario Kart has become, to the point where I will probably just skip Mario Kart Wii U entirely because there is no way it can get better. To point out just a single aspect, I was genuinely in shock that Sonic had both an Adventure Mode and Grand Prix, because I saw Adventure first and figured "ok, so it's one of those racers". The idea that a kart racer could have both didn't even occur to me because Mario Kart, through seven iterations, never deviated from 50cc, 100cc, 150cc and mirror Grand Prix.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Owning FunkyBarn gets you VIP status in the FunkyBarn club on the miiverse. Speaking of miiverse anyone know when we'll be able to do those private communities cause that's gonna own

Speaking of the MiiVerse, I hadn't used it in a while and I can't believe there still is no way of sorting them other than "newest" because that's already getting hella convoluted. Also my favorites aren't at the top and am I missing something or is there really no way to search for the NSMBWiiU pro player videos other than following the guy who posts them?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

WiiFitU is gonna be the first game to use the private communities.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
So in the Miiverse I keep seeing these really amazing drawings from console owners and loving them, but I'm seeing some with gradients and shading and such that are definitely NOT hand-drawn...how are they doing that?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

SyHopeful posted:

So in the Miiverse I keep seeing these really amazing drawings from console owners and loving them, but I'm seeing some with gradients and shading and such that are definitely NOT hand-drawn...how are they doing that?

From what I've been able to discern, painstaking use of the eraser tool.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Artix74 posted:

Yeah, that's a good list. ZombiU, NSMBU, and Sonic Racing get my vote as well, though I didn't get Nintendoland, so I can't say anything about that.

NintendoLand is seriously worth getting a Deluxe unit instead of a Basic by itself. It's so much fun when you have friends over, just make sure you have enough Wiimotes for everyone.

Mario Chase and the Luigi's Mansion games are seriously the best of the bunch with enough friends playing. The Donkey Kong one is pretty fun for one player, too.

EC posted:

Man, I'm bummed. A few months ago I saw that Nintendo was putting out a history of Zelda ("Hyrule Hystoria") and I preordered it immediately. I forgot about it until it was delivered tonight. It's fantastic...but it seems to have a LOT of information from Skyward Sword, which I haven't played yet. :(

At least this is an excuse to go buy the game, right?

So pretty:

Speaking of the Hyrule Historia, is it not being sold in stores? I couldn't find it in any local comic shops or Barnes and Noble. If I can't find it in any stores soon I'll definitely just order it online, but I was hoping to just score a copy without having to wait on it to ship...

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
I have been playing a lot of Sonic Racing recently but I still prefer Mario Kart because it's all about the local multiplayer. The blue shell thing is mentioned a lot, but in the majority of cases a skilled driver will win despite being hit by a blue shell. They can be annoying in single player mode, but I would argue the AI 'cheats' far more in Sonic Racing. Which is probably why the difficulty is so high. I have seen a few occasions where a CPU player has thrown snowballs and other items backwards towards me from a long distance when it would have made more sense for them to aim for a closer CPU directly in front of them. In the higher difficulties it seems as if CPU players are actively are trying to make it hard for you to win, as opposed to trying to win the race themselves.

Don't get me wrong, Sonic is an addictive game with high production values, but whether you prefer it depends on what sort of player you are. Ultra-competitive core-gamers will probably prefer sonic, but MK is better for those who just enjoy playing for fun with friends.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Xenomorph posted:

So has it been confirmed that purchases are tied to your ACCOUNT, and not hardware?

I'd love to upgrade all my hardware-tied Wii purchases to an account-tied Wii U purchases.

Nintendo said pre-release that all your purchases are tied to your Nintendo ID.

You Nintendo ID is tied to your system...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So your account is recoverable, that is if you want to go through bullshit bureaucracy levels facing a police report to prove a stolen wii u or sensing your broken wii u in instead of say, putting in a password and filling in an online form.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Xenomorph posted:

As far as anyone can tell, the answer is "it is tied to both".

However, if you sell your WiiU, you have no way to get your account back without purchasing your original Wii again.

Yes, this is all solvable with a small webtool that allows you to log into your Nintendo Network ID. Why this doesn't exist is a good question.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Considering that Nintendo has a plan to have a mobile Nintendo Network app for your phone, I'd imagine some sort of way to recognize accounts outside of the system are coming. The better question is why did they not make this available from day one?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

FPzero posted:

Considering that Nintendo has a plan to have a mobile Nintendo Network app for your phone, I'd imagine some sort of way to recognize accounts outside of the system are coming. The better question is why did they not make this available from day one?

Resources allocated elsewhere. It's pretty obvious that Nintendo scrambled to get their software ready on time.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

theflyingorc posted:

Resources allocated elsewhere. It's pretty obvious that Nintendo scrambled to get their software ready on time.

Well we see how that one worked out. *Wonderful 101* *Pikmin 3* *Wii Fit U* *Game and Wario*

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Folt The Bolt posted:

Wait! Wii U sold three million globally?!

I thought for sure it'd be less.

It almost certainly is less, but how much less is unknown. That number is not "units sold", it's "units shipped". The number shipped just means how many units Nintendo has sent to stores. Unless you're in a Wii situation where units are not generally available on store shelves, units shipped is a bigger number than units sold.

It correlates roughly to the number of units sold, but there is some variance between the two barring a scenario where demand outstrips supply.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

greatn posted:

Well we see how that one worked out. *Wonderful 101* *Pikmin 3* *Wii Fit U* *Game and Wario*

He's talking about the OS, considering the five-hour mandatory day one update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

greatn posted:

In the system itself. The clearly way-too-hastily assembled Wii U OS, the eShop, etc.

thefncrow posted:

It almost certainly is less, but how much less is unknown. That number is not "units sold", it's "units shipped". The number shipped just means how many units Nintendo has sent to stores. Unless you're in a Wii situation where units are not generally available on store shelves, units shipped is a bigger number than units sold.

It correlates roughly to the number of units sold, but there is some variance between the two barring a scenario where demand outstrips supply.
Uh...that article says sold. And I'm pretty sure Nintendo generally reports sold, not shipped. Sony usually reports shipped, and I forget which way Microsoft handles it.

edit: getting different statements from different sources. Anyone have a link to Nintendo's statement?

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 31, 2013

• Locked thread