Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

yellowcar posted:

Credit card or Nintendo fun bux. Presumably both have to match the region where the 3DS comes from. Since you're a Euro, a credit card is out of the question so your only choice is to buy Nintendo's Mickey Mouse money.

Is the credit card thing for real? You think they'd be glad to take your money regardless of where it comes form. Also even if they don't, 3DS eshop uses real money and not Nintendo Points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Drizvolta posted:

Oh god how do I save The mage and troubadour in chapter 5 I've forgotten just how hard these games are :negative:

If you do the first sidequest, you can get a rescue staff from one of the chests. If you pair the two up, they can both be simultaneously rescued. Ch. 5 is a goddamn wringer though, it's fantastic.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Bah, none of the nearby Gamestops appear to be selling this game early. I hope you all are proud of yourselves :argh:

Cheap Ass Bitch
Dec 3, 2006
I AM A CHEAP BASTARD! PLEASE MOCK ME!

So with all the talk about GameStop not taking preorders anymore, does anyone know what the situation will be like for other retailers like Best Buy or Target? Any chance that those places will have a copy for someone who didn't preorder next Monday?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Chaltab posted:

Is the credit card thing for real? You think they'd be glad to take your money regardless of where it comes form.

Nintendo is happy to, the continent of Europe with their trade laws aren't.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Gamestop seems to have reopened online preorders.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Tae posted:

Nintendo is happy to, the continent of Europe with their trade laws aren't.

So its pretty much impossible to buy something in the nintendo US eshop if you are in Europe?

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

FrickenMoron posted:

So its pretty much impossible to buy something in the nintendo US eshop if you are in Europe?

yellowcar posted:

Credit card or Nintendo fun bux. Presumably both have to match the region where the 3DS comes from. Since you're a Euro, a credit card is out of the question so your only choice is to buy Nintendo's Mickey Mouse money.

You can get them pretty reliably from Play Asia since they'll just e-mail you the code after the purchase. But it's up to you if you want to get scalped a little bit when it comes to buying this stuff online.

Play Asia or someone trustworthy in the US to buy cards for you and e-mail you the code.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So I'm reading the US street date stuff was a mistake and it's not officially going on sale til 2/4. Is that the case or is it actually out? I've heard some Bestbuys are doing it early and Gamestops as well but other stories have them refusing to sell til the fourth.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

If you do the first sidequest, you can get a rescue staff from one of the chests. If you pair the two up, they can both be simultaneously rescued. Ch. 5 is a goddamn wringer though, it's fantastic.

Rescue has limited range though, so you need to move first.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Levantine posted:

So I'm reading the US street date stuff was a mistake and it's not officially going on sale til 2/4. Is that the case or is it actually out? I've heard some Bestbuys are doing it early and Gamestops as well but other stories have them refusing to sell til the fourth.

Yeah, the Gamestops in Boston aren't breaking and don't even get shipments until at least Sunday. Gonna give Target/Best Buy a shot after work.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Aphrodite posted:

Rescue has limited range though, so you need to move first.
There's a safe spot they can move to on the first turn, which gives you an extra turn to get a Rescue user in range. Use the enemy movement overlay and the hole in the enemies' attack range is really obvious. Pair the two up on that space.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I completely forgot about that Rescue staff and just brute forced my way through that mission :shepface:.
Only took me three resets, too!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

IGN review.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
I wrote a mini-review of the game. I chose to focus on the heavily upgraded support system since I found it to be my favorite addition. https://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/01/fire-emblem-awakening-review/

EDIT: Small plot and gameplay spoilers but nothing beyond the official ads.

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 30, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

JSnake posted:

I wrote a mini-review of the game. I chose to focus on the heavily upgraded support system since I found it to be my favorite addition. https://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/01/fire-emblem-awakening-review/

Wait, I thought time travel was a pretty big spoiler? Or is it not, I haven't been paying attention to the official nintendo ads.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Tae posted:

Wait, I thought X was a pretty big spoiler?

Its been 'spoiled' to me in like 3 reviews so at this point it seems like more a "how does this go down" thing.
That said the joystiq review is also up and contains this spoiler. So reader beware if you're trying to go in super ignorant.
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/30/fire-emblem-awakening-review/ (4.5 stars outa 5)

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
After playing the demo and reading some initial reviews of the game, I broke down and preordered Awakening. I can't wait to get it, I've had a mad SRPG itch for quite some time now and I'm hoping this game will help scratch it.

I found out that the retail version will have dual audio tracks, one in English and the other in Japanese. Do we know yet if there's a subtitle option for the Japanese voice track?

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Tae posted:

Wait, I thought time travel was a pretty big spoiler? Or is it not, I haven't been paying attention to the official nintendo ads.

The game makes very little secret of it. It's not an endgame or even mid game spoiler. Still, I edited my post to warn anyone wanting to go in absolutely blind.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
These reviews are really making me second-guess my decision to play the game in Casual mode my first time through (albeit on Hard). I was thinking it would reduce the irritation of having to restart certain levels a bunch of times, but maybe the experience wouldn't be as good without the series' trademark cruelty. I mean, one of the most intense experiences I've had playing a Fire Emblem game was back in Path of Radiance, that one chapter where you get Rolf (an eight-year-old archer) and sending him over to fight some pirates and having him die and his death quote is the most heartrending thing ever and having this feeling, like, 'if you don't reset the game right now you are a monster'. That was a really cruel experience but it made the game better. I just don't know.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I haven't read/watched it, but apperantly the Gametrailers review has some hefty spoilers really early on, so avoid that one.

Terper fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 30, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Tae posted:

I didn't really know about it as such but since you, you know, have kids...

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Just reached Chapter 8, which is the staple desert map of Fire Emblem. Does anyone know of any secret items on floor tiles or some such thing?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
So do we know for sure that Gamestops breaking street date in the US once they received shipments to be a false alarm?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

As I understand it, there's not actually a street date for Gamestop and you just have to count on the given store getting it in stock. And they all expect to have it on the 4th. I may have understood incorrectly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RuBisCO posted:

Just reached Chapter 8, which is the staple desert map of Fire Emblem. Does anyone know of any secret items on floor tiles or some such thing?

No desert items in any chapters.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:

cheetah7071 posted:

No desert items in any chapters.

Really? Really really?

This game keeps getting better and better :allears:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Well drat, I checked my local gamestop and they had it but wouldn't sell it. Street date is back on I guess.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Karthe posted:

I found out that the retail version will have dual audio tracks, one in English and the other in Japanese. Do we know yet if there's a subtitle option for the Japanese voice track?

You have to turn cutscene subtitles on in the options menu near the bottom, it isn't on by default. I think you have to watch one or two cutscenes before you get to the point that you can turn them on though, couldn't do it from the main menu.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Levantine posted:

Well drat, I checked my local gamestop and they had it but wouldn't sell it. Street date is back on I guess.

If you really want it now and now alone just have then look at their store informer; hopefully they'll sell. There isn't a street date of any kind.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Chic Trombone posted:

Gamestop seems to have reopened online preorders.

Aaaand it's gone. Hopefully stragglers managed to grab it in the few hours it was up.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SC Bracer posted:

If you really want it now and now alone just have then look at their store informer; hopefully they'll sell. There isn't a street date of any kind.

I have two Gamestops within a mile of eachother here in town and was told by the managers of both that they were issued some order to maintain the "street date" of 2/4. So I don't know. Amazon is also holding to that as well so at least in the US, there may be a street date.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
The clerk I just talked to, a different one from before, told me that they have standing orders from corporate not to sell the 3DS bundle until 2/5! Even though the game sells on 2/4!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Another good review! http://www.gamesradar.com/fire-emblem-awakening-review/

I think it may be time to stop following this thread because I simply cannot wait and its getting unbearable!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

Another good review! http://www.gamesradar.com/fire-emblem-awakening-review/

I think it may be time to stop following this thread because I simply cannot wait and its getting unbearable!

There's a bunch of reviews up on Metacritic, so far the average is 91 and the lowest is an 85. It's higher then any other game in the series so far.

Not that it matters too much, but it's nice to know the game is getting good press.

e: Screw this guy, Fredrick owns.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hopefully all this good press leads to more Fire Emblem games on the 3DS as well as a new Advance Wars. Nintendo's not dumb enough to not make more games like this, right? :smith:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Boondock Saint posted:

Hopefully all this good press leads to more Fire Emblem games on the 3DS as well as a new Advance Wars. Nintendo's not dumb enough to not make more games like this, right? :smith:
It's Nintendo, not Square Enix; we can assume that they at least won't actively shoot themselves in the foot, I hope. :shobon:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The DLC for Awakening pretty much printed money, on top of the game being really successful on it's own. There's far greater reason to be concerned of them milking the Awakening setting, over them not making more FEs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can't even register the game with Club Nintendo until the 4th. Come on Nintendo, I need to buy a lanyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Goddamn EBGames apparently isn't kidding around with this release. I live in bumfuck Newfoundland and my order from Ontario that shipped yesterday arrived this afternoon. :stare:

At least this'll fight off the temptation to double dip with an eshop download.

• Locked thread