Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

After a few failed attempts doesn't it prompt you for your Google password? Also, who are these people with out a PIN on their phone? Why would you ever do that? If you lose your phone, you have a lot more to worry about than accessing Mint. Especially since I guess they could just reset your Mint password and have a reset link emailed to you, which will go to your phone anyways.

Pretty much this. I don't know if it's standard as I have a Galaxy S2 so it could be a Samsung thing, but the PIN input screen is rate-limited on mine. If you get it wrong more than a certain number of times (I want to say 5?) it locks you out for 30 seconds. Also (for UK Galaxy S2s at least) Samsung have a service you can add as a device administrator which then allows you to go to their website and lock out / wipe / track your phone if you lose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Jerk McJerkface posted:

After a few failed attempts doesn't it prompt you for your Google password? Also, who are these people with out a PIN on their phone? Why would you ever do that? If you lose your phone, you have a lot more to worry about than accessing Mint. Especially since I guess they could just reset your Mint password and have a reset link emailed to you, which will go to your phone anyways.

Aren't there a bunch of apps that allow you to password protect other apps? You could just use one to password Google Drive.

I don't have a pin on my phone. If I lose it, it's either never coming home or the person who finds it will call based on my name and number on the lockscreen anyway. I also have Cerberus (a "find my iphone" kind of thing) installed, so in theory I can remote lock, wipe, track, etc., but honestly I expect recovery is unlikely in that case. In the meantime, I don't have to enter a pin 10,000 time a day, wasting my time every day for a slight advantage if my phone is lost to someone who won't immediately just turn it off and resell it.

With good 2-way authentication, I can also cancel the password for my Android phone in one button press from anywhere, which ought to shut the phone off from my gmail account.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

berzerker posted:

I don't have a pin on my phone. If I lose it, it's either never coming home or the person who finds it will call based on my name and number on the lockscreen anyway. I also have Cerberus (a "find my iphone" kind of thing) installed, so in theory I can remote lock, wipe, track, etc., but honestly I expect recovery is unlikely in that case. In the meantime, I don't have to enter a pin 10,000 time a day, wasting my time every day for a slight advantage if my phone is lost to someone who won't immediately just turn it off and resell it.

With good 2-way authentication, I can also cancel the password for my Android phone in one button press from anywhere, which ought to shut the phone off from my gmail account.

When you lose your unprotected phone, you probably won't notice right away. So for that half hour or whatever, someone can do whatever they want with all the personal data on the device. You can also set the device to not lock until the screen has been off for five minutes, because honestly, you probably look at your phone ever thirty seconds. The idea is not to protect or recover your device, which is impossible and unlikely to happen, but to protect the huge amount of personal data on the device.

The suggestion about using an app to PIN lock other apps is still valid. I found a bunch on Google Play in a couple minutes. I don't know which ones are good, but there's a ton.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm having a lot of trouble with voice input lately. I'm using SwiftKey, but I think it just uses Google voice input when I hit the microphone button because it looks identical to what I see for the "Google voice typing" input method.

It used to work great, but lately it just seems to hang on the screen with just an image of the microphone, but before it starts listening for input. I'm guessing it's a connectivity thing, but I have an active data connection, so I'm not sure. Besides, I thought Jellybean had offline voice to text...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It does so long as you've downloaded it in the Language and Input settings - although US English doesn't have an uninstall option so maybe it's there by default, but that's where you can check anyway

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Aren't there a bunch of apps that allow you to password protect other apps? You could just use one to password Google Drive.
Until Google changed the lockscreen policy in 2.3 I didn't even keep the phone locked, much less securely.

Is there an app or widget that show how much power the phone is drawing from a USB port? My friend is having an inconsistent charging experience.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Gyshall posted:

Is there a decent image manipulation app that does all this type of stuff in one package? I like photo editing but I hate having to have a single app that only does one or two things.

Give Pixlr Express a go.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
What's the best battery manager that you goons have found? I saw it mentioned in another thread but I can't seem to find it. TIA.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Carbon from koush is out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup&rdid=com.koushikdutta.backup&rdot=1&feature=md

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I love the reviews that give him 1 star because it won't work on Motorola devices, when
1) He says so in the description
2) The product is free
3) It's not his fault, it's Motorola's broken implementation of the 4.1 backup function

I love you, internet reviews, never change.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

baka kaba posted:

It does so long as you've downloaded it in the Language and Input settings - although US English doesn't have an uninstall option so maybe it's there by default, but that's where you can check anyway

It lists English (US) as downloaded there. Any idea why it would be hanging on voice input? Would this be a better question for the general Android thread?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does anyone use a third party alarm clock app that will do something like play music track or turn on Spotify instead of just using the default ringtones?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

brc64 posted:

It lists English (US) as downloaded there. Any idea why it would be hanging on voice input? Would this be a better question for the general Android thread?

Not really sure, you could always disable all data and see if it still works (so you know it's being done on the device itself) and go from there.

I'd like to help more but my phone is also loving up and running like crap, high five!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Goetta posted:

Does anyone use a third party alarm clock app that will do something like play music track or turn on Spotify instead of just using the default ringtones?

I use "I Can't Wake Up" and there's also "Alarm Clock NFC" and "Mood O'Clock"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stereomood.moodoclock
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wroclawstudio.puzzlealarmclock
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kog.alarmclock.paid

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

brc64 posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble with voice input lately. I'm using SwiftKey, but I think it just uses Google voice input when I hit the microphone button because it looks identical to what I see for the "Google voice typing" input method.

It used to work great, but lately it just seems to hang on the screen with just an image of the microphone, but before it starts listening for input. I'm guessing it's a connectivity thing, but I have an active data connection, so I'm not sure. Besides, I thought Jellybean had offline voice to text...

I did some searching, and it looks like a lot of people are reporting problems with Voice Typing when Bluetooth is connected, which would match up with the trouble I have in my car. So I'm going to try disabling Bluetooth next time I'm in my car and see if that helps.

Weird.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah if I have Bluetooth enabled I have to try to voice type/action, go back, try again and it works on the second one. Of course it also doesn't use my headset to listen either, it uses the phone mic which is inconvenient.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Jerk McJerkface posted:

When you lose your unprotected phone, you probably won't notice right away. So for that half hour or whatever, someone can do whatever they want with all the personal data on the device. You can also set the device to not lock until the screen has been off for five minutes, because honestly, you probably look at your phone ever thirty seconds. The idea is not to protect or recover your device, which is impossible and unlikely to happen, but to protect the huge amount of personal data on the device.

The suggestion about using an app to PIN lock other apps is still valid. I found a bunch on Google Play in a couple minutes. I don't know which ones are good, but there's a ton.

I was on the train once and there was a couple sitting next to me who had found someone's phone. The guy was basically going through the owners etrade account looking at all his stock trades and laughing at how much money he was wasting on bad picks. I think he was more of a dick than an identity thief, but it does happen.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Bought premium for $5. Works like a champ so far. Streams everything up to my 50GB Box account automatically, and I can have it auto-backup on a schedule.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Bought premium for $5. Works like a champ so far. Streams everything up to my 50GB Box account automatically, and I can have it auto-backup on a schedule.
The best part about this app is pull-based backups between devices. I can pull game saves from my tablet that I left at home to my phone that I have with me. And when I get home, I can pull it back the other way.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Are there any scientific calculator apps for Android that are similar to iOS' Symbolic Calculator? Symbolic's killer feature is how it converts a single-line math equation into a properly formatted equation, like so:

In that third example, you'd type √68/2*√5, and when you hit enter it'll popup all neatly formatted with an answer. You can also tap on any of the answers to get numerical answers, as well as copy them for reuse in another equation. It also has a bunch of built-in math functions that you can call from the equation bar by typing it in, like entering log(4,2) to find log base2 of 4).

Most scientific calculator apps seem to emulate the one-line interface of physical calculators; this is one of the few I've found on any platform that takes some liberties with that otherwise limited design. I'm hoping there's something similar on Android.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I don't know if there's one exactly like that, but there's MyScript Calculator which allows you to draw/write the equation on the screen and it will OCR and calculate it in roughly realtime.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
It looks like Google Play Music updated. I used to be able to long-press an album or artist and pick play from the menu. That option is gone now. Now I can tap it and then hit "shuffle" on the next screen and it will start playing but there's no way to just play it in order.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Kind of stupid that they removed that, but as a workaround, you can tap the album and then play the first track, and it should play in order as long as you don't have shuffle turned on.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It looks like Google Play Music updated. I used to be able to long-press an album or artist and pick play from the menu. That option is gone now. Now I can tap it and then hit "shuffle" on the next screen and it will start playing but there's no way to just play it in order.

It's kind of unintuitive, but I think it plays in order if you just tap the space above "shuffle" - the little album art collage.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
That'll work. Thanks, guys.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'd like to have access to my whole archive of personal photos at any time. Somewhere over 100GB. My current thinking is that I'll purchase more storage space from Google and upload everything to Picasa Web Albums (we already use the Picasa desktop client to manage our photos).

Does anyone have any experience with any particular app that acts as a front end to Web Albums?

A really sweet feature would be one that pulls down a smaller, resized version of each photo, and caches it for general speedy browsing, but I don't know if anything like that exists.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

That'll work. Thanks, guys.

You could also accomplish the same thing with less effort by clicking on the first item, since the other tracks get auto-added to the queue in order. The queue automatically gets cleared out whenever you select a different playlist/album/song, until you put it in manual mode by either selecting "add to queue" when something was already there or by reordering the queue. Then it permanently switches behavior to continuing to add everything you select to one giant, unmanageable, never-ending queue (even after its killed) until you select "clear queue" from the playing screens overflow menu, after which it reverts back.

amishpurple
Jul 21, 2006

I'm not insane, I'm just not user-friendly!

Thermopyle posted:

I'd like to have access to my whole archive of personal photos at any time. Somewhere over 100GB. My current thinking is that I'll purchase more storage space from Google and upload everything to Picasa Web Albums (we already use the Picasa desktop client to manage our photos).

Does anyone have any experience with any particular app that acts as a front end to Web Albums?

A really sweet feature would be one that pulls down a smaller, resized version of each photo, and caches it for general speedy browsing, but I don't know if anything like that exists.

If you aren't dead set on Picasa, check out SmugMug. I bought a subscription last year and it's unlimited upload space and their Android app is pretty good. You can upload to it and browser galleries like you want.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

amishpurple posted:

If you aren't dead set on Picasa, check out SmugMug. I bought a subscription last year and it's unlimited upload space and their Android app is pretty good. You can upload to it and browser galleries like you want.

This looks pretty good and I'll keep it in mind. The good thing about Picasa web albums if you're using the Picasa desktop application is that it automatically syncs changes and whatnot. There is a SmugMug button for Picasa to upload photos, but it's not a sync type of thing...you have to manually click the button each time you make changes.

But yeah, that might be the way I end up going.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Karthe posted:

Are there any scientific calculator apps for Android that are similar to iOS' Symbolic Calculator? Symbolic's killer feature is how it converts a single-line math equation into a properly formatted equation, like so:

The closest thing you'll find is MathStudio (formerly Spacetime) I think. It's pretty expensive at $20, but it's really quite powerful. HandyCalc is also really good (and free!) and does nice formatting and formula entry, but it won't do symbolic calculations (algebra, calculus).

There's also some Matlab-likes that I can talk a little about if you want, but I don't think that's what you're after.

Forbidden Kiss
Apr 28, 2004

Cavalier Eternel
My Nexus 4 is in the mail and the only iOS app I'm going to miss is TweetBot. Is there an agreed upon 'best' twitter client for Android is really powerful and also a pleasure to use? I've done some searching and haven't really found a consensus pick yet.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Karthe posted:

Worst case scenario, you could use the Wolfram Alpha app.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Forbidden Kiss posted:

My Nexus 4 is in the mail and the only iOS app I'm going to miss is TweetBot. Is there an agreed upon 'best' twitter client for Android is really powerful and also a pleasure to use? I've done some searching and haven't really found a consensus pick yet.

Falcon Pro seems to be the "best" one right now. Carbon was going to be one but that's pretty much vaporware that only Android Central has ever used and that was just twice.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Worst case scenario, you could use the Wolfram Alpha app.

The app does not do what he wants.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The app does not do what he wants.

Which thing doesn't it do?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Which thing doesn't it do?

Doesn't have nearly the extensive auto-formatting functions of the other app.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Doesn't have nearly the extensive auto-formatting functions of the other app.

Obviously. Hence "worst case scenario".

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Forbidden Kiss posted:

Falcon Pro feels like a beta app but it's also the only Android Twitter app that doesn't suck for the most part. Echofon would also be in this category but it doesn't have gap detection.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Forbidden Kiss posted:

There isn't an Android Twitter client that is as nice as Tweetbot is. I used Tweetbot for about a year and still can't find anything as pleasant to use. Falcon Pro is probably the closest thing to a great Twitter app - it abides by Android's design guidelines and is generally intuitive, but it's still pretty basic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
So Pocketcasts version 4 will finally be released later this month:

quote:

So what’s new in Pocket Casts 4?

• Completely redesigned, completely awesome, modern Android user interface.
  • Tablet support. We’ve targeted Nexus 7 and 10, and it looks great on others too.
  • Cross-device syncing of your subscriptions, playlists and play states on every Android device you own. We *love* this feature.
  • Remote backup. You can now drop your phone in a toilet and not lose your podcasts. Buying a new phone and setting it up has never been easier.
  • Actual smart dynamic playlists. Want a list of every unplayed, downloaded podcast? Right here. How about a list of video episodes that you haven’t downloaded yet? Easy. Manual playlists are here as well for the super picky among you.
  • A lot more. But we’re not telling the rest until we release it.
Source

The push server already made Pocketcasts the best standalone podcast app, so now its dropping the clunky iOS-Android frankenstein UI there'll be little reason to use anything else. It'll probably maintain the same "Listen subscriptions" import the current version already has, so no need to worry about that if it affects you. As a heads up they've said multiple times that the price is going up once the update is released, so if it looks like something you'd use buy it now if you haven't already.

Thermopyle posted:

Out of curiosity if it's just access you need what are you finding deficient with the stock Jelly bean Gallery app? When you have sync enabled (they started calling it "Google Photos" at some point) it caches Albums pretty aggressively, and any album you need absolute access to you can pin via "Make available offline".

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 1, 2013

• Locked thread